Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,540 members, 7,837,077 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:28 PM

Chimamanda Adichie's 18 Honorary Doctorate Degrees - Literature (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie's 18 Honorary Doctorate Degrees (46056 Views)

“I Don’t Want To Be Responsible For Traumatising Children” - Chimamanda Adichie / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / Ivara Esege, Chimamanda Adichie's Husband, Pictured With Her Brother, Kene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 18 Honorary Doctorate Degrees by Pimine: 7:53pm On Apr 10, 2023
BluntTheApostle:

Who dash her honorary doctorate from Harvard?

It is Haverford College that gave her honorary doctorate, not Harvard.

Haters like you nor even know say Yale get rep pass your Harvard.

And yes, she has a honorary doctorate from HARVARD!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 18 Honorary Doctorate Degrees by Achor1111(m): 7:54pm On Apr 10, 2023
Just 7yrs, may Nigeria never happen to us
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 18 Honorary Doctorate Degrees by AfonjaPriest: 7:56pm On Apr 10, 2023
Cooly100:
I don't think there is any women in Nigeria dead or alive that has received international medal like Chimamanda.

Many Ivy league universities are falling over themselves to give her an award.

Many Ivy league universities will be preparing to deploy their anger at Wole Soyinka for making them fall over themselves due to his lack of communication skills.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 18 Honorary Doctorate Degrees by BastadThiefnubu: 7:56pm On Apr 10, 2023
Gandrova:
No need to argue with you because, you don't know what it takes to win Nobel prize
You mean the political Nobel prize that he selfishly received after betraying others?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 18 Honorary Doctorate Degrees by joinnow: 7:56pm On Apr 10, 2023
Cooly100:
I don't think there is any women in Nigeria dead or alive that has received international medal like Chimamanda.

Many Ivy league universities are falling over themselves to give her an award.

blessed memory of late Doris Akunyili
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 18 Honorary Doctorate Degrees by blowjohn(m): 7:57pm On Apr 10, 2023
Hope u guys know that Soyinka as at 2018 said he ni longer wishes to be conferred any more honorary degrees?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 18 Honorary Doctorate Degrees by prettyliz(f): 7:57pm On Apr 10, 2023
BastadThiefnubu:
Nobody knows Kemi Adeosun apart from Nigerians.
It is an insult to mention Kemi in the same line with a great woman like Chimamanda.
If I remember right,was she not the woman who had a fake certificate that made them to remove her from Buhari's cabinet?🤔
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 18 Honorary Doctorate Degrees by blowjohn(m): 7:59pm On Apr 10, 2023
joinnow:
blessed memory of late Doris Akunyili

Why u answer the guy?
He doesn't understand that there are many women and men who don't even give a damn about such degrees.

And there are even more that have more than her. Abi e think say to be prof na beans?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 18 Honorary Doctorate Degrees by ibtommy(m): 8:00pm On Apr 10, 2023
SmartPolician:

I think Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala will march Chimamanda Adichie back to back when it comes to recognition.

Some of the top positions Ngozi has held, she was the first African woman to hold them. That lady interacts with the world leaders at the highest level and it didn't even start today.

However, the two women are outstanding exports from Nigeria to the world.

Also, Dora Akunyili was another amazon that wowed our world with recognitions. She had over 900.

PS: I am not arguing with you; I am only expanding the discussion.
Akunyili's death really shocked me. May her soul rest in PERFECT PEACE. May those who killed her husband never know peace all the days of their lives. May they see evil spirits everyday in reality. May their death be gory. May their souls be haunted every second by the deadliest of demons.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 18 Honorary Doctorate Degrees by Chucks13: 8:00pm On Apr 10, 2023
So we should fry Akara because of that or what

18 Doctorate my a s s
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 18 Honorary Doctorate Degrees by ChineduAPC: 8:01pm On Apr 10, 2023
BombAttack:

She is our daughter. Don't mind those jealous Yoruba Muslims 🤣😂😅😂🤣
Munmun ,honourary PhD, wey MC oluomo dey get. She is neither a Phd holder, a professor or a researcher. She has no single scholarly article, everything na tales by moonlight. She will need to commit half of her life to rigorous academic work before achieving one foot of Wole Soyinka.Na one young medical doctor finished are two days ago with a lovely article, and not a technically poor, bigot letter to Biden.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 18 Honorary Doctorate Degrees by Gerard28: 8:01pm On Apr 10, 2023
Cooly100:

But she has received the highest award in Havard uni.

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie receives highest honour of Harvard University, W.E.B Du Bois Medal

Allow him to be talking stupidly
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 18 Honorary Doctorate Degrees by Electorate: 8:02pm On Apr 10, 2023
tinsel:
No doubt she is an icon, but too small compared to Soyinka. Maybe it will take her the next 25 years to reach Soyinka's level. So no need for all these comparison. She has also achieved much more than kids of her age. I respect her as well.

tinsel:

How old are you?
Soyinka has over 40 and stopped receiving since 2018. The highest award for any profession in the world is Noble prize. There is no basis for comparison between the two. The other is too small here her senior is. But , again she is a genius. I must admit this.

Why is it now difficult for you guys to list all Soyinka's honorary degrees and schools that awarded them?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 18 Honorary Doctorate Degrees by BastadThiefnubu: 8:02pm On Apr 10, 2023
traihit:

I'm not siding Soyinka but it is stupidity to compare Soyinka with Adichie.

Soyinka's generalisation belongs to that of Achebe, JP Clarke etc. Even though, Soyinka belongs to the top echelon of that generation.

It's sheer stupidity to now denigrate Soyinka's pedigree because of his comments on Obi though I disagree with him (Soyinka). Soyinka is one of the few fathers of literature we have around and while some other may not be as popular, there are still a lot of writers who are more sound than Adichie. Adichie is a novelist and writer while Soyinka has almost all the genres and still got a Nobel when internet wasn't a thing.

What about Femi Osofisa, Niyi Osundare etc.
Chimamanda will forever be greater than the cultist from whatever region that he comes from.
Chi stands for justice and equity unlike the ugly old cultist that selfishly defends evil.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 18 Honorary Doctorate Degrees by prettyliz(f): 8:03pm On Apr 10, 2023
imam07:
u cant school in abroad and I respect u. Schooling in abroad is easier. I respect Phd holder in naija than telling me u got your Phd in UK.. So don't come here and be giving foolish rating.
Person wey get pas for university in Nigeria will get first class in Yankee
No be true .9 ja own na just unnecessary stress but no bi for knowledge..with all their exam malpractices join , bribery, sleeping with lecturers etc...I schooled in 9ja...but Abroad is better and smoother o
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 18 Honorary Doctorate Degrees by BastadThiefnubu: 8:04pm On Apr 10, 2023
prettyliz:
If I remember right,was she not the woman who had a fake certificate that made them to remove her from Buhari's cabinet?🤔
People from that region are mostly criminals and supporters of evil.
Chimamanda is greater than all of them combined.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 18 Honorary Doctorate Degrees by Ashawoman82: 8:07pm On Apr 10, 2023
Raskimonojendor:

Where is her Nobel prize for literature?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M54BY4DBs3A
bros rest...so many legendary actors like Tom cruise and co haven't won the Oscars award, but would u compare most new generation actors that have won it to him?...guy let's just be frank with ourselves, when it comes to writing, soyinka can never come close to adichie...no be everything be politics na.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 18 Honorary Doctorate Degrees by tinsel: 8:07pm On Apr 10, 2023
Electorate:

Why is it now difficult for you guys to list all Soyinka's honorary degrees and schools that awarded them?
Guy, a small snipet below. If I make a full list on this man, it will be 10 pages which is worthless.
In Nigeria, Soyinka was a Professor of Comparative literature (1975 to 1999) at the Obafemi Awolowo University, then called the University of Ifẹ̀.[13] With civilian rule restored to Nigeria in 1999, he was made professor emeritus.[9] While in the United States, he first taught at Cornell University as Goldwin Smith professor for African Studies and Theatre Arts from 1988 to 1991[14][15] and then at Emory University, where in 1996 he was appointed Robert W. Woodruff Professor of the Arts. Soyinka has been a Professor of Creative Writing at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, and has served as scholar-in-residence at NYU's Institute of African American Affairs and at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles, California.[9][16] He has also taught at the universities of Cambridge, Oxford, Harvard and Yale.[17][18] Soyinka was also a Distinguished Scholar in Residence at Duke University in 2008.[19]

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 18 Honorary Doctorate Degrees by OGHENAOGIE(m): 8:09pm On Apr 10, 2023
suckmedownthere:
Men this one Na bookworm, she goes to school for a living.....
honorary... She didn't read for it besides nothing spectacular here na... Again same adichie supported Hilary Clinton but she lost out...
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 18 Honorary Doctorate Degrees by BluntTheApostle(m): 8:09pm On Apr 10, 2023
Cooly100:

But she has received the highest award in Havard uni.

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie receives highest honour of Harvard University, W.E.B Du Bois Medal

The W. E. B. Du Bois Medal is Harvard's highest honor in the field of African and African American studies.

It is not the highest honor in Harvard. Get your facts right.

Soyinka is the only Nigerian writer with a honorary doctorate from Harvard. He has also taught in Harvard and Oxford. Even Achebe could only teach in an American college, Bard College.

Make una dey respect una papa.

cc uniquetechng

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 18 Honorary Doctorate Degrees by colonelwealth(m): 8:12pm On Apr 10, 2023
Fineman2:
This woman is truly a rare gem

Elegant woman of substance, value and knowledge.
Nice...!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 18 Honorary Doctorate Degrees by MatrixCircle: 8:15pm On Apr 10, 2023
Olowosaudi:
Hahahaha....what has she donr with all these paper certificates? Sit in a foreign land and be regarded as a Second Class citizen? You think she is happy living in the abroad while people with less paper qualifications are being giving diplomatic recognitions whenever they travel abroad and they take decisions that affects your Businesses for countless generations. People from Southern Nigeria need to take a cue from the Hausa/Fulani people who do not come on social media to beat about their certificates or awards but are control king vital positions in government and making easterners go crazy every election cycle.
When Nigeria's debt was cancelled by Paris club , was it a fulani man that worked it out??
Another fulani man has amassed debt that will chock the next administration.

Sanusi is a sound man and also a fulani. So they are brilliant ones like him. That is advising the foolish ones but they are not listening.
Things has changed. All Sanusi predictions are coming to pass. Look before they underestimated Peter Obi, now see what happened. He won the election without giving shishi to any body. That's what we call wisdom and character. Things has changed.

The Western nations are working hard to change thier economy to a knowledge based economy, look at us we are mocking those with academic qualifications. You see oil Nigeria is depending on is failing globally.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 18 Honorary Doctorate Degrees by whippersnapper(m): 8:15pm On Apr 10, 2023
Raskimonojendor:

Achebe took his anger, jealousy and hatred to the grave with him.
na so him tell you
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 18 Honorary Doctorate Degrees by Ashawoman82: 8:15pm On Apr 10, 2023
CSTRR:
She is the first and only african ever to give a class day speech to graduating students at Harvard and Yale respectively.

No african has been honoured to give a class day speech at one , let alone two of those schools.

A truly remarkable woman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrAAEMFAG9E&t=230s
the way I take love this woman eh.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 18 Honorary Doctorate Degrees by BastadThiefnubu: 8:20pm On Apr 10, 2023
Odogwuzack:

Those of you that are comparing Shimamanda to Soyinka are guilty of blasphemy.

Y'all should be banned for life!
That cultist is below Chimamanda in every aspect.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 18 Honorary Doctorate Degrees by webizone(m): 8:21pm On Apr 10, 2023
JoshTim:

Na Nobel laureate you insult like this...indeed Ibos are bastards who urinates on their elders

Lol, Soyinka should have closed his mouth when he saw youths vexing and fighting for good governance. Now all his pride na zero. He try before buh now, mba. Why did he even follow Tunde Bakare dem do Occupy Nigeria but no fit come out for street against Buhari?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 18 Honorary Doctorate Degrees by BeanX(m): 8:21pm On Apr 10, 2023
BloomingDale:

See all the degrees. Be like Soyinka na small boy where she dey.
Una be mumu for this forum, comparing this small girl to someone like Soyinka is the height of foolishness.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 18 Honorary Doctorate Degrees by BastadThiefnubu: 8:22pm On Apr 10, 2023
Odogwuzack:

Wole Soyinka you all are hating on has achieved what no Igbo man dead or alive has ever achieved.
Chimamanda has more achievement than all the Yorubas both the living and dead combined.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 18 Honorary Doctorate Degrees by BeanX(m): 8:25pm On Apr 10, 2023
webizone:

Lol, Soyinka should have closed his mouth when he saw youths vexing and fighting for good governance. Now all his pride na zero. He try before buh now, mba. Why did he even follow Tunde Bakare dem do Occupy Nigeria but no fit come out for street against Buhari?
You don't fight for good governance by insulting, provoking and fighting people that have contrary opinions. this is nothing but online banditry. you guys should act in a civilized manner and fight for good governance.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 18 Honorary Doctorate Degrees by BastadThiefnubu: 8:26pm On Apr 10, 2023
MatrixCircle:

The laurel is no longer Noble. It's messed up.
Thank you brother and may evil never near you and your generation.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's 18 Honorary Doctorate Degrees by bionixs: 8:28pm On Apr 10, 2023
BluntTheApostle:

Who dash her honorary doctorate from Harvard?

It is Haverford College that gave her honorary doctorate, not Harvard.

i pity you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Jewels Of Africa / Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail / How Gbenga Found Love

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.