Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,562 members, 7,861,658 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 04:25 PM

Chimamanda Adichie Defends Letter And Schools Wole Soyinka On Democracy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chimamanda Adichie Defends Letter And Schools Wole Soyinka On Democracy (969 Views)

June 12: President Buhari Addresses Nigerians On Democracy Day (Live Updates) / Amaechi, Amosun & Wole Soyinka On Train Ride From Lagos To Abeokuta / Osun Rerun, The Most Brazen Assault On Democracy, Biggest Robbery Ever - PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chimamanda Adichie Defends Letter And Schools Wole Soyinka On Democracy by Rebuker(m): 7:44am On Apr 12, 2023
In a recent interview on Arise TV, acclaimed Nigerian author and feminist icon Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie defended her open letter to US President Joe Biden titled "Nigeria's Hollow Democracy". The letter called out the US for congratulating the winner of Nigeria's controversial presidential election in 2023, despite evidence of manipulation and irregularities.

During the interview, Adichie also took the opportunity to school Nobel laureate Wole Soyinka on the meaning of the word "fascist". She stated that swearing in a person who has not met the requirements of the constitution is akin to ending democracy. She criticized the responses of All Progressives Congress (APC) supporters to her article as "funny reading the juvenile fulminations of non-juvenile people."

Adichie's open letter, which was widely shared on social media, expressed the frustrations of many Nigerians with their country's political system. She called on Biden to support the fight for democracy and human rights in Nigeria and to hold the Nigerian government accountable for their actions.

In her letter, Adichie accused the Nigerian government of deliberately manipulating the election and suppressing the opposition. She also criticized the US for their "two-facedness" when it comes to Africa, pointing out that while they condemn election interference in other countries, they fail to do the same in Nigeria.

Adichie's open letter sparked a lot of discussion and debate on social media, with many Nigerians supporting her call for action. Some also criticized her for relying on the US to solve Nigeria's problems, arguing that it was up to Nigerians to fight for their own democracy.

In conclusion, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie has once again used her platform to speak truth to power and highlight the issues facing her country. Her open letter to Joe Biden has sparked an important conversation about democracy and human rights in Nigeria, and it remains to be seen if her call for action will be heeded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUAxiUOm3lA

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Defends Letter And Schools Wole Soyinka On Democracy by mortalincarnate(f): 7:54am On Apr 12, 2023
Armored Amanda

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Defends Letter And Schools Wole Soyinka On Democracy by Raskimonojendor: 7:55am On Apr 12, 2023
Gayish Adichie. She can only school her juniors.

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Defends Letter And Schools Wole Soyinka On Democracy by Christistruth03: 7:57am On Apr 12, 2023
Peter Obi himself is very Dubious that is the plain Truth

the Nazi like movement he has unleashed on Nigeria is evidence of his Dubious nature

More is going to come out very soon

A man cannot hide from his Character

How can Someone who couldn’t even produce only just 2 Governor claims he won Elections

APC produced 22 Governors

Peter Obi is a Fraudster go and find out his real background from those who really know him

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Defends Letter And Schools Wole Soyinka On Democracy by fourboys: 7:58am On Apr 12, 2023
I think say school na scam... Till Adichie decided to use her PEN... just wow shocked

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Defends Letter And Schools Wole Soyinka On Democracy by maivd: 7:59am On Apr 12, 2023
She should school ipob on not killing igbos every Monday again. She should also forward her opinions to emma powerful Nigeria don't need her ethnic laced schooling.

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Defends Letter And Schools Wole Soyinka On Democracy by Kubboy: 8:01am On Apr 12, 2023
Ok
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Defends Letter And Schools Wole Soyinka On Democracy by fourboys: 8:02am On Apr 12, 2023
maivd:
She should school ipob on not killing igbos every Monday again. She should also forward her opinions to emma powerful Nigeria don't need her ethnic laced schooling.
read the article again.. now with a calm mind

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Defends Letter And Schools Wole Soyinka On Democracy by Christistruth03: 8:03am On Apr 12, 2023
maivd:

As far as Chiamanda is Concerned IPOB Terrorists can do no Wrong

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Defends Letter And Schools Wole Soyinka On Democracy by Rebuker(m): 8:07am On Apr 12, 2023
My respect for this woman is on another level right now.

The way she responds to questions, the smoothness and confidence. This woman is fire.

Forget who supports who, please respect must be given to whom it's due. She doesn't struggle with words, everything comes out smoothly.....

How can one person be this intelligent? 😭

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Defends Letter And Schools Wole Soyinka On Democracy by maivd: 8:08am On Apr 12, 2023
fourboys:
Should have done the same thing when igbos where been slaughtered and burning police station in the east. She should have written a lengthy letter during endsars too, by now we all know she is not worth the ink she wrote the letter with when it comes to the affairs of Nigeria. Wake me up when she writes emma powerful.

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Defends Letter And Schools Wole Soyinka On Democracy by Epistasis(m): 8:22am On Apr 12, 2023
Why didn't she write any letter when her brothers declared sit at home every Monday and when the ungun known men were wrecking havoc in her homeland....a fellow whose father never stood for any political course want to lecturer WS who fought and stood by her people during the civil war.

She is an achiever, but a tribal bigot!

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Defends Letter And Schools Wole Soyinka On Democracy by Nobody: 8:25am On Apr 12, 2023
Christistruth03:
Peter Obi himself is very Dubious that is the plain Truth

the Nazi like movement he has unleashed on Nigeria is evidence of his Dubious nature

More is going to come out very soon

A man cannot hide from his Character

How can Someone who couldn’t even produce only just 2 Governor claims he won Elections

APC produced 22 Governors

Peter Obi is a Fraudster go and find out his real background from those who really know him

I can give you yam to keep you busy so you can stop bleating.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Defends Letter And Schools Wole Soyinka On Democracy by XerXers: 8:26am On Apr 12, 2023
maivd:

Should have done the same thing when igbos where been slaughtered and burning police station in the east. She should have written a lengthy letter during endsars too, by now we all know she is not worth the ink she wrote the letter with when it comes to the affairs of Nigeria. Wake me up when she writes emma powerful.
But Soyinka said nothing when worshippers were massacred in Owo

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Defends Letter And Schools Wole Soyinka On Democracy by XerXers: 8:28am On Apr 12, 2023
Epistasis:
Why didn't she write any letter when her brothers declared sit at home every Monday and when the ungun known men were wrecking havoc in her homeland....a fellow whose father never stood for any political course want to lecturer WS who fought and stood by her people during the civil war.

She is an achiever, but a tribal bigot!
The only people wreaking havoc are fulani herdsmen who ESN has flushed out from SE

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Defends Letter And Schools Wole Soyinka On Democracy by maestroferddi: 8:30am On Apr 12, 2023
No be small lecture...

She made Prof Soyinka look foolish without uttering any insulting word against him..

This lady is ultra-smart...

Cerebral responses and pithy punchlines...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Defends Letter And Schools Wole Soyinka On Democracy by Okoroawusa: 8:35am On Apr 12, 2023
Everybody go soon dey alright
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Defends Letter And Schools Wole Soyinka On Democracy by Epistasis(m): 8:38am On Apr 12, 2023
XerXers:

The only people wreaking havoc are fulani herdsmen who ESN has flushed out from SE

I have forgotten Nnamdi Kanu that's enjoying himself with DSS is a Fulani man from Gombe.
Operation Crocodile smile was a great success!

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Defends Letter And Schools Wole Soyinka On Democracy by KanwuliaExtra: 8:44am On Apr 12, 2023
The younger generation with correct sense keeps retiring the senile old generation. cheesy
All the old generation can do is bully and intimidate.
Unfortunately, this digital age of younger generation will not take any BULL from the analogue older generation given to corruption and nepotism.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Defends Letter And Schools Wole Soyinka On Democracy by abdulskulboy(m): 8:46am On Apr 12, 2023
How can Ngozi Adiche school Soyinka, we joke too much in this country wallai. OP, your caption is senseless and counterproductive.

Adiche who didn't even come to Nigeria to vote for a particular candidate she is seeking cheap public attention by feigning support, is all over condemning the process that made Tinubu president-elect. Someone with conscience wouldn't even start such criticism in the first place.

She think poems or fictitious script can change Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Defends Letter And Schools Wole Soyinka On Democracy by BATified2023: 8:46am On Apr 12, 2023
fourboys:
u igbos can deceive yourself
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Defends Letter And Schools Wole Soyinka On Democracy by maivd: 9:03am On Apr 12, 2023
XerXers:

But Soyinka said nothing when worshippers were massacred in Owo
But the same Soyinka went to prison for the biafra cause.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Defends Letter And Schools Wole Soyinka On Democracy by Rebuker(m): 9:04am On Apr 12, 2023
BATified2023:
igbos n their whining

And how did you come into that conclusion that I am Igbo, sir?

I am a lover of knowledge and whenever I see a fountain of it, I am always in awe.....
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Defends Letter And Schools Wole Soyinka On Democracy by BATified2023: 9:05am On Apr 12, 2023
Rebuker:

I am a lover of knowledge and whenever I see a fountain of it, I am always in awe.....

your comment gave u out bro
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Defends Letter And Schools Wole Soyinka On Democracy by Nobody: 9:07am On Apr 12, 2023
Rebuker:

Because he is a bigot...anyone that supports peter obi is igbo..I think tunde ednut should be termed igbo too because he supported obi.

Dont mind that mpki.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Defends Letter And Schools Wole Soyinka On Democracy by NaijaSumigan: 9:26am On Apr 12, 2023
She's a hero

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Defends Letter And Schools Wole Soyinka On Democracy by Obaaderemi2: 9:41am On Apr 12, 2023
She's a tribalist.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Only Crime Of Peter Obi Is That He's Igbo / If Peter Obi Was The Governor Of Lagos / 5 Reasons Why I Think PMS Subsidy Removal Will Not Be As Bad As People Think

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.