Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,827 members, 7,817,414 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:50 AM

LETTER TO NIGERIAN PARENTS - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / LETTER TO NIGERIAN PARENTS (9261 Views)

10 Things You Can Relate With If You Were Raised By Nigerian Parents / Letter To Nigerian Parents / Nigerian Parents Give Birth To White Baby (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: LETTER TO NIGERIAN PARENTS by saraj(f): 4:55pm On Sep 22, 2011
The Queen does have an aircraft for her own personal use (funded
by the British taxpayer I might add, nothing to do with hard work
on her behalf, the same goes for the rest of her useless family).

Re: LETTER TO NIGERIAN PARENTS by kemmeye: 5:09pm On Sep 22, 2011
i agree with him all the way.
Re: LETTER TO NIGERIAN PARENTS by Nobody: 5:11pm On Sep 22, 2011
Okija_juju:

The author of this letter is a slow autistic buffoon,

Please, all of you who fly abroad on a regular like myself, how many kids or teenagers do you see seated in business class?

How many children in the UK know how to hawk merchandise in traffic?! How many of those UK raised kids have ever had to walk miles to fetch water to bath or carry merchandise to the market for their parents and do some chores before going to school in the morning?

What has the car kate middleton drive have to do with anything?! At the age of 14, I could change a flat tyre in record time. I was already pushing the vehicle that took me to school to start every morning, I could change a car spark plug, at 18 I could diagonise the fault of a Yahama 2600KVA generator and even buy and change the bad parts. Whats this fool talking about?! So he is now going after rich kids?! I fly first class or business class everytime I travel becos my father has racked up so much air miles over the years that its would be a waste to fly economy when I could fly business. This slowpoke schooled in the UK and has the ballz to spite Nigerian kids?! He is part of that rich wealthy class he is talking about.

My kid sister is 19, and she rocks Prada, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Jimmy Choos, Fendi, Versace, e.t.c because I can afford it. I wouldnt want some Aristo somewhere to think he can woo her with money. Rather than say parents should kick their kids out at 22, I would say at 16, give them some assistance to venture into business of some sort. Let them try and fail so by the time they are 22, they would atleast be some sort of enterprenuer. Nigerian parents never tend to let their kids in on their source of income nor teach them the rope on how to make and manage money.

He bought a 3 bedroom flat at the age of 23 in London, but I can bet you it was on a mortgage that he would pay till he dies and transfers that debt to his kids. Meanwhile Nigerians would buy, build and rent houses by the time he is done financing that house. I hate the likes of him.

250'k per month?! And he thinks it too much?! This guy sucks monkey testicles,  

The authour of this article is probably angry because while he was squeezed in between two obese people in boot class, some kids where sitting in first and business class sipping on champange (though they werent even 18) and eating cavier,

To the author:: Dont player hate you broke Bottom slowpoke

Thank you jare, you ve said it all.
Re: LETTER TO NIGERIAN PARENTS by Nobody: 5:16pm On Sep 22, 2011
sara j:

I wouldn't call her family useless, its not their fault they re born with a silver spoon stuffed in their mouth grin , the poster doesn't know what he is talking about, i think he is having 'i hate my life/ F## angryk my life moment . I laugh in french cheesy
Re: LETTER TO NIGERIAN PARENTS by NumberOne2(m): 5:20pm On Sep 22, 2011
So much insults for someone's personal views on an issue?
I don't know of any other forum (pls show me one if there is) where just because someones views differ from yours people resort to insults. Calling someone a FOOL in a civilized setting? Wish you knew the meaning. I'm disgusted.
Re: LETTER TO NIGERIAN PARENTS by deandavid(m): 5:24pm On Sep 22, 2011
to some extent d guy make sense,but how many people have dis treatments dis guy was talking about?dis guy is refering to his class of people,d ones dat still from d nation treasury,dis class of people represent maybe just20-30% of nigerias population.so if dis message is for you,u knw urself,but as for me,from an average home,of an urhobo man,i even carry concrete self.right now am serving,but am independent already.so una know una selves.to some extent d guy make sense,but how many people have dis treatments dis guy was talking about?dis guy is refering to his class of people,d ones dat still from d nation treasury,dis class of people represent maybe just20-30% of nigerias population.so if dis message is for you,u knw urself,but as for me,from an average home,of an urhobo man,i even carry concrete self.right now am serving,but am independent already.so una know una selves.
Re: LETTER TO NIGERIAN PARENTS by Cogito(m): 5:27pm On Sep 22, 2011
A quick survey would show you that only children from
Nigeria fly business or upper class to commence their studies in the
UK . No other foreign students do this.

Nonsense. Sheer, utter, triple distilled rubbish.
Re: LETTER TO NIGERIAN PARENTS by sheyguy: 5:52pm On Sep 22, 2011
This article was lifted from The Guardian newspaper of sept. 21 2011 (yesterday) + i have s een it before now (few months back) the namd of the guardian author is
Folorunsho Rabiu.
Re: LETTER TO NIGERIAN PARENTS by 677ano(m): 6:02pm On Sep 22, 2011
Why all the denials and fuss the writer is say the truth
Nigerians have this problem or pretence and denial over issues raised that are true
Re: LETTER TO NIGERIAN PARENTS by 677ano(m): 6:06pm On Sep 22, 2011
sara j:

@Saraj

I have not heard you call those in the Nigerian goverment embezzling public funds useless yet you call the Queen and her family that why if I may ask?
Re: LETTER TO NIGERIAN PARENTS by aieromon(m): 6:17pm On Sep 22, 2011
For the fact that you schooled in the U.K and didn't state who paid your fees,i have no intention to spit my venom and give a hard critique of your article.
Re: LETTER TO NIGERIAN PARENTS by Tinyemeka(m): 6:18pm On Sep 22, 2011
wesan123:

Before I proceed with my post, I would like to state that EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO HIS/HER OWN OPINION:
THIS IS MINE:

I have seen this post before and I have taken time to read it once again and it keeps annoying me! I PERSONALLY BELIEVE WITH NO IOTA OF DOUBT IN MY MIND that the AUTHOR of this article IS NOT IN TUNED WITH THE REAL NIGERIAN YOUTH. (my opinion)

I have taken time to cut out some of his postings below:

1.Let me add the benefit of my time as a student and then resident in
the UK - and I live in Lagos now -    the writer was trained in the uk and may hardly have any idea of what nigerian undergraduates go thru

2.The first thing that I discovered
about UK-born, white, English undergraduates was that all of them did
holiday or weekend job to support themselves - including the children
of millionaires amongst them. - Of the total number of nigeria youth who write jamb year in year out how many are offered admission? talk less of being undergraduates

3.A quick survey would show you that only children from
UK  - how many nigerian youth can their parents afford to send them to universities even here in nigeria talk less of abroad

4. "30 is the new 18" - wrong! it is even 14 years here in Naija, I know of hundreds of teenagers who hawk to make ends meet for their parents - the writer should go up north and see the level of poverty (almajiris etc) and know what's up

5. At age 18 years, a typical young adult in the UK leaves the clutches
of his/her parents for the University, chances are, that's the last
time those parents will ever play "landlord" to their son or daughter
except of course the occasional home visits during the academic year.  - Millions of even parents are still tenants to landlords, how much more the children

6. At 21 years and above or below, the now fully grown and independent
minded adult graduates from University, searches for employment, gets
a job and shares a flat with other young people on a journey into
becoming fully fledged adults. - At 21 yrs YOU GRADUATE IN THE UK/US ABROAD AND NOT IN NAIJA WITH STRIKES! 30 YEARS OLD ARE STILL JOB HUNTING HERE (2.1s inclusive0

7.I am UK trained
Recruitment Consultant - Ok now - uk trained - no wonder!

8.I enjoyed the savings
that I made from living on and off at my parent's house in London -
indeed that is the primary reason for my being able to buy myself a 3
bedroom flat in London at age 25 with absolutely no direct financial
help from my parents!  - at 25, the writer bought himself a 3 bedroom flat - here in Naija, 40 yrs HARDWORKING people are still struggling and hustling to buy a plot of land!

9.Meanwhile today, we have Nigerian children who have never worked for 5
minutes in their lives - THIS IS A LIE!!! (I STAND TO BE CORRECTED WITH EVIDENCE- EVEN ADENUGA'S CHILDREN WORK)

chances
are that big boy is cruising around Lagos with a babe dressed to the
nines, in his dad's spanking new SUV with enough "pocket money" to put
your salary to shame. It is not at all strange to have a 28 year old
who has NEVER worked for a day in his or her life in Nigeria but
"earns" a six figure "salary" from parents for doing absolutely
nothing. - ANOTHER LIE

We have a youth population of tens of millions of who are being
"breastfed and diapered" well into their 30s. - LIE

want to encourage you to send your young men and women (anyone over
20 can hardly be called a child!) out into the world, maybe even
consider reducing or stopping the pocket money to encourage them to
think, explore and strive. Let them know that it is possible for them
to succeed without your "help".

IN MY OPINION: I STATE THAT THE WRITER IS NOT IN TUNE WITH THE REAL NIGERIAN YOUTH!

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISMS ARE WELCOMED FROM THE REAL NIGERIAN YOUTHS!!!

Thank you very much for your re-construction of the original post. This represents a true picture of the situation on ground. Nigerians are not known to be lazy or over-pampered by their parents even though there might be a few exceptions to the rule. They are what they are: exceptions.

The OP spoke about home UK students taking up vacation jobs. Pls tell me where in Nigeria, vacation jobs are offered to students (apart from the school instituted Industrial Attachment that some students are even hesitant about leaving upon completion)?

@ OP, please thoroughly understand a situation before broadcasting your opinion of it.
wesan123:

Before I proceed with my post, I would like to state that EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO HIS/HER OWN OPINION:
THIS IS MINE:

I have seen this post before and I have taken time to read it once again and it keeps annoying me! I PERSONALLY BELIEVE WITH NO IOTA OF DOUBT IN MY MIND that the AUTHOR of this article IS NOT IN TUNED WITH THE REAL NIGERIAN YOUTH. (my opinion)

I have taken time to cut out some of his postings below:

1.Let me add the benefit of my time as a student and then resident in
the UK - and I live in Lagos now -    the writer was trained in the uk and may hardly have any idea of what nigerian undergraduates go thru

2.The first thing that I discovered
about UK-born, white, English undergraduates was that all of them did
holiday or weekend job to support themselves - including the children
of millionaires amongst them. - Of the total number of nigeria youth who write jamb year in year out how many are offered admission? talk less of being undergraduates

3.A quick survey would show you that only children from
UK  - how many nigerian youth can their parents afford to send them to universities even here in nigeria talk less of abroad

4. "30 is the new 18" - wrong! it is even 14 years here in Naija, I know of hundreds of teenagers who hawk to make ends meet for their parents - the writer should go up north and see the level of poverty (almajiris etc) and know what's up

5. At age 18 years, a typical young adult in the UK leaves the clutches
of his/her parents for the University, chances are, that's the last
time those parents will ever play "landlord" to their son or daughter
except of course the occasional home visits during the academic year.  - Millions of even parents are still tenants to landlords, how much more the children

6. At 21 years and above or below, the now fully grown and independent
minded adult graduates from University, searches for employment, gets
a job and shares a flat with other young people on a journey into
becoming fully fledged adults. - At 21 yrs YOU GRADUATE IN THE UK/US ABROAD AND NOT IN NAIJA WITH STRIKES! 30 YEARS OLD ARE STILL JOB HUNTING HERE (2.1s inclusive0

7.I am UK trained
Recruitment Consultant - Ok now - uk trained - no wonder!

8.I enjoyed the savings
help from my parents!  - at 25, the writer bought himself a 3 bedroom flat - here in Naija, 40 yrs HARDWORKING people are still struggling and hustling to buy a plot of land!

minutes in their lives - THIS IS A LIE!!! (I STAND TO BE CORRECTED WITH EVIDENCE- EVEN ADENUGA'S CHILDREN WORK)

chances
are that big boy is cruising around Lagos with a babe dressed to the
nines, in his dad's spanking new SUV with enough "pocket money" to put
your salary to shame. It is not at all strange to have a 28 year old
who has NEVER worked for a day in his or her life in Nigeria but
"earns" a six figure "salary" from parents for doing absolutely
nothing. - ANOTHER LIE

We have a youth population of tens of millions of who are being
"breastfed and diapered" well into their 30s. - LIE

want to encourage you to send your young men and women (anyone over
20 can hardly be called a child!) out into the world, maybe even
consider reducing or stopping the pocket money to encourage them to
think, explore and strive. Let them know that it is possible for them
to succeed without your "help".

IN MY OPINION: I STATE THAT THE WRITER IS NOT IN TUNE WITH THE REAL NIGERIAN YOUTH!

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISMS ARE WELCOMED FROM THE REAL NIGERIAN YOUTHS!!!

Thank you very much for your re-construction of the original post. This represents a true picture of the situation on ground. Nigerians are not known to be lazy or over-pampered by their parents even though there might be a few exceptions to the rule. They are what they are: exceptions.

The OP spoke about home UK students taking up vacation jobs. Pls tell me where in Nigeria, vacation jobs are offered to students (apart from the school instituted Industrial Attachment that some students are even hesitant about leaving upon completion)?

@ OP, please thoroughly understand a situation before broadcasting your opinion of it.
Re: LETTER TO NIGERIAN PARENTS by MMM2(m): 6:31pm On Sep 22, 2011
well am not a father yet
Re: LETTER TO NIGERIAN PARENTS by damola1: 8:31pm On Sep 22, 2011
ohhhhhhhhhhh,
Re: LETTER TO NIGERIAN PARENTS by poweredcom(m): 9:05pm On Sep 22, 2011
Umm

This letter says the truth but the writer made some great blunder here and conculded that many Nigerian youth still reply on parents, Lie even the Rich ones these days dotn give a damm about their kids poket money like that , they source way for them to hustle, that just it,,

Abi if i get money make i no conect my pikin enter better life, but i wont spoil them that just it
Re: LETTER TO NIGERIAN PARENTS by Nobody: 9:21pm On Sep 22, 2011
minutes in their lives.

As a student currently studying in the US, i totally disagree with you, because i have seen lots of Nigerian teenagers from very well to do homes, getting summer jobs, while they've still in high school, let alone college students.

"I enjoyed the savings
help from my parents!"

ego much?. Don't you think there are some things you have to keep to your self?
Re: LETTER TO NIGERIAN PARENTS by hajifaty: 10:01pm On Sep 22, 2011
This article tells many truths about we nigerians. I can see some brain dead fellows calling the poster a fool whereas they are they real fools living in a land of foolishness rules by the foolish politicians. We nigerians always think that we are smart  but we are not. Yes, children should be given a chance to face some hardship in other to prepare them for their future. I have been running my own life since when I was just 21 years old though my mother was always there for me but i decided to be a real man and went out of the country called nigeria. Majority of nigerian parents ruined the life of their children all in the name of showing love.
Re: LETTER TO NIGERIAN PARENTS by sandysprax(m): 10:28pm On Sep 22, 2011
There is a lot of sense in wht our dear poster has said.However, I dont understand why many ill-mannered people are reigning abuses and letting out their frustrations on him like it was a personal letter to them in particular.He didnt name names here. he simply dosent mean any harm.Its a good thing he has the well fare of Nigeria at heart and instead of hating we should proffer solutions to our numerous problems as a nation.Quite obviously, the white people are way ahead of us in almost(if not) everything good.God bless Nigeria
Re: LETTER TO NIGERIAN PARENTS by hbrednic: 10:46pm On Sep 22, 2011
if you've got it,enjoy it.life is too short.
Re: LETTER TO NIGERIAN PARENTS by Anvaller: 11:14pm On Sep 22, 2011
@Hajifaty and Sandysprax

Are u both joking? What that guy wrote is nonsense and am amazed that u lack the comprehension to see the flaws in his claims. He got many things wrong and he is even arrogant and unreasonable. Fine, it is accepted that some Nigerians are too flambouyant and spoils their children while they should allow them to be productive but he lied when he said it is only the case amongst Nigerians.

Check this, he thinks that if a young graduate demands N250, 000 as starting salary is as a result of spoiling a child. This makes me doubt his claim that he owns a house in the U.K (which i bet its mortgage) because with the prevailing exchange rate, that is just about 1,100 euro. What much can he do with that? anywhere in the world, salary is negotiated, if u demand 250, u may end up negotiating for 200 or 180 so what is wrong if a guy proposed 250? So how can that be too much in the opinion of a guy who claimed to have bought a house in UK? U cant do any thing extra with such salary except in Nigeria where almost all basic needs in life are considered as luxury (poverty!)

The point is that a very few Nigerians do what he is writing about. I know what I am saying, when I was studying, I know many of us that we knew how comfortable our living standard was back home but we still went scouting here and there for job even including ladies simply because we considered it inaudible to ask our parents to send money for living (from Nigeria) after having paid expensive tuition already. We risked sharing room with each other (which was illegal) in order to reduce cost on accommodation, the ones who were in the middle class or lower from home but were lucky enough to have scholarship lived far better life than we did. This guys got about 1000 euro living allowance every month and they did not pay tuition. They belonged to the rich students group while we belonged to the poor students group, they did not need to work and they earn 1000 at the end of the month while we strive to work and may not even earn up to 300 in a month. So if u are there and u think "haa the rich Nigerians just spend money anyhow and spoil their children" it must be part of mis information this guy is trying to spread here. Are u telling me that the children of the middle class Nigerians dont also stay home and enjoy the little their parents have until they are able to get a job?

This guy should have discussed the unemployment problem in Nigeria and how to solve it instead of writing a long silly note to the parents
Re: LETTER TO NIGERIAN PARENTS by sandysprax(m): 11:43pm On Sep 22, 2011
lmao. grin grin cheesy All is well.Where do we even start from.Our problems are just too many tht a man can die just thinkin about them.I think wht he meant to say was tht if parents (especially public office holders who steal money) teach their children to sweat for their money rather than giving it to them on a platter, they will in turn learn to earn their money in the future as opposed to embezzlement as the case is in Nigeria.
Re: LETTER TO NIGERIAN PARENTS by Nobody: 1:15am On Sep 23, 2011
I second wesan123; THE WRITER IS SIMPLY NOT IN TUNE WITH THE REAL NIGERIAN YOUTH!

If it were to be true about Nigerian Youths, why then are we known as hustlers all over the world? believe me Nigerian youths struggles,/hustle to survive both home and abroad (children of the rich/middle class inclusive).

its our tradition to work hard, yea, i agree with the poster that some nigerian students could fly business class * may be to impress someone or probably they're living a fake life OR may be na Oshe free from chykers, trust our ladies* a normal mentality of a 9ja student would rather prefer to fly economy and keep the balance for sth else if sponsored by his or her parents.
Re: LETTER TO NIGERIAN PARENTS by Thirst4Lif: 1:50am On Sep 23, 2011
MY advice to Nigerian parents is to stop making demands of your children that

you yourself can't even live up to!!
Re: LETTER TO NIGERIAN PARENTS by EagleNest(m): 5:57am On Sep 23, 2011
The writer made some good statement which some Nigeria parents and youths concerned need to work-on. Nigeria and UK cannot be compared economically, socially and education-wise. It's a system where virtually everythings works and hence plans/dreams can work too. Barred the current economic turmoil being experienced by Britain, I think they have a good model to learn from in terms of teen-adult transition. Contrary, this is quite difficult in a country like Nigeria where hardily anything works. You find out that it's extremely difficult to nurture a dream to fruition in Nigeria. Only extremely few lucky ones do. You start the test/hurdle with issues in education sector which is the primary budding ground for many Nigerians. It's currently in a very bad state. You'll be lucky to graduate plus NYSC at age-25yrs. Do we have guidance & counsellors anymore? From NYSC you transit to uncertain future. Gone are those days when you have many job offers even before you graduate from school. Now even with international degrees, there is no guarantee of sustainable job. And after a couple of unsuccessful hunts for jobs (where thousands are applicants), gradually your hope will turn to frustration and frustration to dispair, etc. To me, an average Nigerian youth (excluding the lazy, never-do-well and spoilt ones) is always willing and eager to hit the ground running at an early stage in life but the chances are very tight. The system is very bad. Theres is no social security, no plan for the future.The result is that the youth will fall back to their parents at least to survive. Nevertheless, there are some who are capitalizing on this and hardly make efforts on their own. Those one should change!
Re: LETTER TO NIGERIAN PARENTS by hajifaty: 6:01am On Sep 23, 2011
Anvaller:

@Hajifaty and Sandysprax

Are u both joking? What that guy wrote is nonsense and am amazed that u lack the comprehension to see the flaws in his claims. He got many things wrong and he is even arrogant and unreasonable. Fine, it is accepted that some Nigerians are too flambouyant and spoils their children while they should allow them to be productive but he lied when he said it is only the case amongst Nigerians.

Check this, he thinks that if a young graduate demands N250, 000 as starting salary is as a result of spoiling a child. This makes me doubt his claim that he owns a house in the U.K (which i bet its mortgage) because with the prevailing exchange rate, that is just about 1,100 euro. What much can he do with that? anywhere in the world, salary is negotiated, if u demand 250, u may end up negotiating for 200 or 180 so what is wrong if a guy proposed 250? So how can that be too much in the opinion of a guy who claimed to have bought a house in UK? U cant do any thing extra with such salary except in Nigeria where almost all basic needs in life are considered as luxury (poverty!)

The point is that a very few Nigerians do what he is writing about. I know what I am saying, when I was studying, I know many of us that we knew how comfortable our living standard was back home but we still went scouting here and there for job even including ladies simply because we considered it inaudible to ask our parents to send money for living (from Nigeria) after having paid expensive tuition already. We risked sharing room with each other (which was illegal) in order to reduce cost on accommodation, the ones who were in the middle class or lower from home but were lucky enough to have scholarship lived far better life than we did. This guys got about 1000 euro living allowance every month and they did not pay tuition. They belonged to the rich students group while we belonged to the poor students group, they did not need to work and they earn 1000 at the end of the month while we strive to work and may not even earn up to 300 in a month. So if u are there and u think "haa the rich Nigerians just spend money anyhow and spoil their children" it must be part of mis information this guy is trying to spread here. Are u telling me that the children of the middle class Nigerians dont also stay home and enjoy the little their parents have until they are able to get a job?

This guy should have discussed the unemployment problem in Nigeria and how to solve it instead of writing a long silly note to the parents

You are right but we are all seeing this from different  perspectives. There are spoiled children all over the world.
Re: LETTER TO NIGERIAN PARENTS by gee2(m): 8:13am On Sep 23, 2011
@wesan123 n nairalanders,

The writer made some points bt i want to believe he actually speculated and believed it's the fact.

@Op n those who care to knw

1. Have u ever been stuck/stranded and the only option is walk abt 80mins home while stylishly pretendin 2 get transportation "all in the name of hustling/working?

2. Why do u think 419ers n yahoo boys abound in naija?

3. Why do the idiots called police men raid/harrass innocent ppl hustling around?

4. Why do u think majority look for browser cheat jus2 gain access to the internet n have u been so broke u don't have money to buy the least airtime(N50) jus2 make an important call?

5. Do u have any solution to the dwindling economic problem in Nigeria?

6. What made u think 40% of Nigerian youths are not hardworking (legit) despite living with their parents?

7. Do u know the number of youths who have died (in Nigeria) 'cos they left their parents to live with other young adults as u said?

8. Why is it that 30% of youths want to travel out of Nigeria at all cost?

9. Why do employers prefer a uk, us, canadian etc certificate above that of naija schools?

10. Is it in this kind of economy where u plan today n by next morning changes 'cos of things u neva bargained for that u wan2 achieve so much in less time without powerful n sure connections or links? 4get it cos u'll jonse urself

Please, let's be realistic in whatever we do 'cos the grass is not as green as u think on the other side n it's not every who has the opportunity u had.

Nigerian rulers differ from uk n us leaders.

Let those of us working hard keep it up while everything works in our favor by Gods' help.
Re: LETTER TO NIGERIAN PARENTS by horny4u(f): 9:22am On Sep 23, 2011
As a parent you own the exclusive right to bring up your kids as you like,

So if you decide to bribe jamb instead of help with homework
or
if you prefer to teach them business by example rather than show them how to be a ghost worker at NNPC.

Really the game is on you, whatever part you choose for your kids is fine for me,
The letter raised important points amidst not too important ones, I know for a fact a very rich UK family who all their sons worked in the factory [s]family is like the branson family in wealth capacity[/s] for 2 years after secondary school before moving on board.
Alot of Nigerian parents do this as well , i think its not mainly a country thing , its an individual thing and yes if your child is sitting in a first class that he cannot afford you might be building a monster for yourself not me.
I actually know a NIG parent whose son travels in 1st class and cannot hold a job down, it can be from any country though.
As a parent be careful reread that letter and ignore it as an attack on 9ja parents cos if you get it right-the angels are yours and if you get it wrong -the monsters are yours.
Re: LETTER TO NIGERIAN PARENTS by Okijajuju1(m): 10:36am On Sep 23, 2011
gee.:

1. Have u ever been stuck/stranded and the only option is walk abt 80mins home while stylishly pretendin 2 get transportation "all in the name of hustling/working?

As a kid, I trekked miles from school to the house everyday, not because my parents didn't give me money for transport, but because I didnt get money for snacks at lunch so I used my transport money for lunch and walked home, Till date, whenever I walk, people complain I walk too fast.

gee.:

2. Why do u think 419ers n yahoo boys abound in naija?

Quick buck, Poverty

gee.:

3. Why do the idiots called police men raid/harrass innocent ppl hustling around?

Corruption, Plus most Nigerians dont even know thier right.

gee.:

4. Why do u think majority look for browser cheat jus2 gain access to the internet n have u been so broke u don't have money to buy the least airtime(N50) jus2 make an important call?

Poverty!! Plus why pay when you can get it for free, And yes, I have been so broke I didnt even own a mobile phone let alone credit to put on it,

gee.:

5. Do u have any solution to the dwindling economic problem in Nigeria?

Yes!! Provide Power, Decentralize government, take away most of the responsibilities from the top, Resource control, Restructure the judiciary, build more prisons, reinstate the death penalty for even corruption and then set-up a ruthless watchdog organization to police the activities of government and coporate entities.

gee.:

6. What made u think 40% of Nigerian youths are not hardworking (legit) despite living with their parents?

The OP is an autistic slowpoke, Nigerian youths are very hard-working and enterprising, Go and see what many corp members do to survive while they are on their service assignments. No european trained graduate can survive some of the conditions Nigerian youths suffer every blessed day. . Our youths who decide to go into business end up being crushed by over-whelming economic factors.  Problem is the cost of setting up a business here in Nigeria is very expensive. High and multiple taxations, high running-cost (water, light, fuel, transportation) and insecurity. Its not like the jobs are there and we refuse to work, Its not like we have a Mac Donalds that hire cheap labour and we dont apply to them. The JOBS are just not there, The highest employer of Labour in Nigeria today still remains government, followed by oil & gas then Telecomms. There really is not yardstick for judging Nigerian Kids with western kids. We suffer to get everything we own. I know there are a few rich kids out there who have never toiled for a dollar in their lives, but thats the luck they were born with and in my opinion they shouldnt be apologetic to anyone or anybody for their good fortunes, If their parents can afford to buy them first class tickets or even fly them private charter, then thats their good fortune.

gee.:

7. Do u know the number of youths who have died (in Nigeria) 'cos they left their parents to live with other young adults as u said?

The OP is just a jealous Nama, Why encourage a kid to move out of the parents house at a young age and throw them into the wild unsupervised, Do you know how many kids end up pregnant, on drugs or dead as a result of this? I remember a parent who held back their son after graduating high school at 15 for 4 years before sending him off to the university. The father said hiis reason for doing that was because although he knew that his son was academically intelligent, he didnt feel he was metally mature to handle the external pressures that comes with a university environment.

gee.:

8. Why is it that 30% of youths want to travel out of Nigeria at all cost?

Its because the belief is that the grass is greener on the other side, which I can categorically tell you that it isnt. I for example travelled of to Canada after my National service. It wasnt for an MSc, but just to work. While I was there, I applied to all the major companies and when no response was forth coming, I started appling to shops and stores. Finally I got a laborer job working at a building site and doing a job that I wouldnt be caught dead doing in Nigeria. I was earning 20 dollars/hour and I thought I was smooth sailing. But after taxes, rent, food, bills and miscellenous, I barely had 50 dollars left to save at the end of the month, AFter I saw a Masters degree holder flipping Burgers at Micky Dees, I got home that evening, booked my flight and came back home,, 3 months later I got my present job whichs pays me super well, I have an American H1 Visa, a British visa, A french resident permit and a citizen of Canada, but let me tell you here and now that there is no place I'd rather live and work than here in Nigeria, NO JOKES, My kids would be educated abroad for obvious reasons but I'll make sure I open their eyes to the potentials that abound here in Nigeria.

gee.:

9. Why do employers prefer a uk, us, canadian etc certificate above that of naija schools?

Isnt this answer quite obvious?! Moreover, I think you are wrong though, They do give Nigerian trained graduates the same chance that they do foriegn trained grads. The problem is the foriegn trained grad more often than none tend to have this flair and flamboyance that locally trained grads lack. But when you see local grads that know that stuff, they do infact know it, and they always always get the job,

(1) (2) (Reply)

Depressed Wife Needs Your Urgent Advice. / When Did Your Dad Stopped Giving You Money? / What Is The Right Punishment For A Hubby Who Refuses To Assist In House Chores?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.