Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,157 members, 7,835,866 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:28 PM

Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University (16442 Views)

School Where Pupils Sit On Floor To Learn In Akwa Ibom (Photo) / The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo / Sights From The University Of Ilorin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by Dancebreaker: 11:15am On Apr 17, 2023
abobote:

Brazil don't speak Spanish, but Portuguese
But many Brazilians do speak it. Many will easily understand what you are saying to them in Spanish.

French as spoken in France/Belgium/Quebec/Switzerland is not as easy as people think. African version in Cotonou and Africa is easier to speak.

Spanish is internationally becoming very important. German provides opportunities for work in Germany.

Mandarin will probably be the most important foreign language of the future. I may be wrong though. I thought Russian would become very important when cold war ended but alas!

If learning a single foreign language, learn French. It is our second official language. You see it in 9ja international passport.

1 Like

Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by EastAlchemist: 11:15am On Apr 17, 2023
favourRN:
Learning a foreign language in university is a fantastic way to expand your horizons, improve your cognitive abilities, and enhance your career prospects. But which foreign language should you choose? There are so many options to consider, each with its own unique benefits.

One of the most popular and practical choices is Spanish. With over 500 million speakers worldwide, Spanish is the second-most spoken language in the world after Mandarin Chinese. It's also the second-most commonly spoken language in the United States, making it incredibly useful for anyone looking to work or travel within the country.

Spanish is also a gateway to the rich and vibrant cultures of Latin America and Spain. Learning the language will give you access to literature, music, art, and cinema that you might otherwise miss out on. You'll also be able to connect with Spanish-speaking communities and build relationships across language barriers.
Good day sir
Is there an app
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by Ikpopo: 11:17am On Apr 17, 2023
Learn Calabar language
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by pquaver(m): 11:17am On Apr 17, 2023
CandidAdmin:
What are the advantages of learning a foreign language in the university and which language would you advise a person to learn?

German.. U wont regret it
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by BJanta: 11:17am On Apr 17, 2023
favourRN:
Learning a foreign language in university is a fantastic way to expand your horizons, improve your cognitive abilities, and enhance your career prospects. But which foreign language should you choose? There are so many options to consider, each with its own unique benefits.

One of the most popular and practical choices is Spanish. With over 500 million speakers worldwide, Spanish is the second-most spoken language in the world after Mandarin Chinese. It's also the second-most commonly spoken language in the United States, making it incredibly useful for anyone looking to work or travel within the country.

Spanish is also a gateway to the rich and vibrant cultures of Latin America and Spain. Learning the language will give you access to literature, music, art, and cinema that you might otherwise miss out on. You'll also be able to connect with Spanish-speaking communities and build relationships across language barriers.

You're a shapeless ,bloody LIAR. English is the most spoken language in the world, with 1132 billion speakers, followed by Chinese Mandarin with 1117 billion , Hindi with 615 millions and finally, Spanish with 534 million speakers. Go and Google it. All of you will come Nairaland and start to spew your foolish lies.

1 Like

Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by OloyeVIII: 11:19am On Apr 17, 2023
CandidAdmin:
What are the advantages of learning a foreign language in the university and which language would you advise a person to learn?
Learn Igbo.. E get why.
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by Asamota: 11:19am On Apr 17, 2023
Master English and learn mandarin.

1 Like

Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by thesicilian: 11:19am On Apr 17, 2023
Ajisebioyolaari:
can you recommend a good place to learn please?
There are many good sources online you can learn for free, especially on YouTube videos. For better immersion you can visit French village in Lagos from time to time
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by hardbody: 11:20am On Apr 17, 2023
CandidAdmin:

IGBO language because it is an emerging new nation state in the comity of nations.
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by disapet: 11:20am On Apr 17, 2023
I learned Portuguese here in Brazil and it connects me to some part of the world in terms of working atmosphere.
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by tunapawizzy: 11:21am On Apr 17, 2023
Deutsch for sure...official language in Germany, Austria, Belgium, Luxembourg, widely spoken in Switzerland...all great places to live and work.
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by OloyeVIII: 11:23am On Apr 17, 2023
BJanta:

You're a shapeless ,bloody LIAR. English is the most spoken language in the world, with 1132 billion speakers, followed by Chinese Mandarin with 1117 billion , Hindi with 615 millions and finally, Spanish with 534 million speakers. Go and Google it. All of you will come Nairaland and start to spew your foolish lies.

Omo, you don dey mad o.. no be play o.

2 Likes

Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by Seyiemath(m): 11:23am On Apr 17, 2023
clockwisereport:
I learnt Spanish. I later forgot everything

Oshe
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by lamalang(m): 11:25am On Apr 17, 2023
Chinese, cos the way APC Government they borrow from Chinese , they fit take over Naija
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by thesicilian: 11:25am On Apr 17, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Reference for that please. French as our 2nd official Language

https://guardian.ng/sunday-magazine/french-as-nigerias-second-official-language/
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by freeman95(m): 11:25am On Apr 17, 2023
GERMAN
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by thesicilian: 11:26am On Apr 17, 2023
24SEVEN:

Bonjour

CavĂ ? Cava bien merci et vous.
grin grin grin grin grin grin.

That year for FGC in 1997.
Hahaha
It was quite interesting, we had a very funny teacher who liked demonstrating a lot
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by omohayek: 11:27am On Apr 17, 2023
abobote:

Brazil don't speak Spanish, but Portuguese
It's still useful Portuguese speakers can understand Spanish (though it's harder the other way around).

1 Like

Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by Chetas81(m): 11:28am On Apr 17, 2023
FOREIGN LANGUAGE ONLY MAKE YOU MORE SLAVE TO THE OWNER OF THE LANGUAGE ___ IF YOU NEED FOREIGN LANGUAGE I DON'T NEED IT
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by haybhi1(m): 11:29am On Apr 17, 2023
Hi quaver, I'm planning on learning deutch but is it true I must have a first class in it from university to get the chance to move to Germany?
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by haybhi1(m): 11:30am On Apr 17, 2023
Hi quaver, I'm planning on learning deutch but is it true I must have a first class in it from university to get the chance to move to Germany?
pquaver:

German.. U wont regret it
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by omohayek: 11:30am On Apr 17, 2023
airsaylongcome:

It's the other Romance languages that would be easier. European languages like Greek or German or even the Slavic Languages have almost no relationship with the Romance ones
That's not quite right. Nearly all European languages are members of the Indo-European language family tree, apart from a few isolates like Basque. In any case, for an English speaker, Scandinavian languages like Norwegian or Swedish would be even easier to learn than Spanish or any other Romance language.

1 Like

Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by thesicilian: 11:31am On Apr 17, 2023
Warl0ck:
I think Spanish is not that bad

But i prefer latin though
Latin is a dying language. People hardly speak it anymore. Except lawyers when they want to sound learned grin
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by Reference(m): 11:33am On Apr 17, 2023
Hmmm.....Mandarin.... so that when we are all led in chains into captivity on account of spiraling debt to China, you can persuade a hearty prison guard to make you head-keeper.... angry

1 Like

Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by thesicilian: 11:35am On Apr 17, 2023
favourRN:

Yes, I learned Spanish in Barbados while in nursing school, and it helped in communicating especially when traveling through Brazil, and the Panama route but personally it helped my communication with fellow Spanish nurses. I don't know how it could benefit more in Nigeria but outside the country it is.

emmaitive:
are you a nurse
Nigerians and weird questions! grin grin grin
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by Ajisebioyolaari: 11:35am On Apr 17, 2023
clockwisereport:

Alliance Francais
thank you

1 Like

Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by Incredible128: 11:35am On Apr 17, 2023
Why? Have we even learned our own language? Some Nigerians don't even know their mother tongue
Thattallgirl:
I love this topic.
I wish Nigerian universities will make it compulsory for every student to choose a foreign language to learn while in the university.
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by Ajisebioyolaari: 11:35am On Apr 17, 2023
thesicilian:

There are many good sources online you can learn for free, especially on YouTube videos. For better immersion you can visit French village in Lagos from time to time
okay. Thanks for your kind response

1 Like

Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by BluePrincee: 11:36am On Apr 17, 2023
favourRN:

Chatgpt writeup caught grin

1 Like

Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by Incredible128: 11:39am On Apr 17, 2023
Why? Have we even learned our own language? Some Nigerians don't even know their mother tongue. Although, I I could go with learning a language, I'd go with d Chineses' Mandarin
Thattallgirl:
I love this topic.
I wish Nigerian universities will make it compulsory for every student to choose a foreign language to learn while in the university.
Re: Which Foreign Language Would You Advise One To Learn In The University by PAQ(m): 11:40am On Apr 17, 2023
Languages you can profit from after school:

1. French
2. Arabic
3. Spanish
4. Chinese (Mandarin)
5. German

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

WAEC Official Threatens MURIC Director With Disappearance In Leaked Audio / JAMB PRINT OUT: Drop Your Email To Get Yours / 2012/2013 FEDERAL GOVERNMENT SCHOLARSHIP (Nigerian Awards)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.