Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,318 members, 7,860,765 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 03:50 PM

An Open Letter To Ivan Gazidis – From A Lifelong Arsenal Fan - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / An Open Letter To Ivan Gazidis – From A Lifelong Arsenal Fan (1220 Views)

Make A Lifelong Friend / Ruby Igwe In An Open Letter Urge DANGOTE To Buy Man United Instead Of Arsenal / An Open Letter To Mikel Obi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

An Open Letter To Ivan Gazidis – From A Lifelong Arsenal Fan by miller84: 11:39am On Sep 22, 2011
Chief Executive
The Arsenal Football Club
Highbury House
75 Drayton Park
London
N5 1BU
21 September 2011

Dear Mr Gazidis

I am very surprised at your recent comments regarding Mr Wenger. Your statement about the board supporting Mr Wenger and not having any intention of replacing him was very noble of you.

What I would like to put to you and the board is that since the board, in their infinite wisdom decided to make Arsenal into a business first and football club second, have basically brought it to this position, not Mr Wenger. As much as we hear that the board support Mr Wenger in his signings and the way forward for the club they also hold the reins. If the board disagree with something then all this flirtatious comments of support for Mr Wenger mean nothing.

I have a theory why I believe the football club is in decline and the Arsenal business is prospering.

When the board decided to move to the Emirates from Highbury it was a great financial coup. The board could see the income generated by increase of sold season tickets, merchandise, food and beverages. The other major factor was the redevelopment of Highbury which would basically subsidise the new stadium. In order for this great plan to succeed then the board would need to be re-shuffled. The doubters or persons who raised any objection had to go. When questions were raised about the future of the football club then these people were marked as trouble makers. Mr David Dein was one of these people, even though he had a great working relationship with Mr Wenger, however the board as conceited as they are believed that this man could easily be replaced. The plan was set in motion with Fizsmans shares being the catalyst in the great built of a financial empire. These shares with his illness needed to be placed in the right pot. That was the biggest concern of the board at that time. Peter Hill-Wood at the helm and with his experience at Hambros Bank put his experience as a banker to look for a stooge with millions who wanted to invest their money for a good return. Enter Mr Stanley Kroenke a man that Peter Hill-Wood felt that he could manipulate. The thorn in the side of the board was this company called Red and White Securities who had a director called Mr David Dein. The other major factor as far as Mr Peter Hill-Wood was concerned was that HIS club would not be owned by an Uzbekistani or Russia as he referred to him at the time. He would rather have a meek and silent man like “Silent Stan”. Mr Kroenke started buying shares with Peter Hill-Wood egging him on to buy shares with the knowledge that a bulk of shares would become available when Mr Fizsman passed away.

The company is exactly where Mr Peter Hill-Wood and the other followers of the board want it to be, in profit and the future financially looks good. Mr Kroenke has the majority of shares and is now waiting for his 30 pieces of silver, his payoff as promised by Peter Hill-Wood.

That is my theory to what has gone on behind the scenes to develop a brand company at the cost of not concentrating on building a strong football club that can compete with other big clubs both in Europe and the World as we were promised by Mr Peter Hill-Wood.

But something has gone wrong! The board were so interested in their profits they forgot about football. To play today’s game a club needs two strong teams as we have already seen. In our dominant years we had two strong teams we could field, commentators would reel off our subs that were world class internationals. Is it coincidence or a fact that since we moved to the Emirates the team have been in decline, yes I accept that we have always qualified for champions league, some years by the skin of our teeth, but since the move we have not really been a threat to the top spot and possibly a double or even a treble.

This season has been the biggest joke with the complete farce of the transfer market. Any business that wants to succeed must have a very strong front line and our front line is the football club and its players, not the over inflated egos of you and the other selfish board members. I would like to remind you that this clubs history is greater than any Peter Hill-Wood, Ivan Gazidis, Ken Friar and Stanley Kroenke, it belongs to the supporters and we are not your personal money feeders. You have robbed the supporters for every penny you can get out of them and if this football club does not bounce back very soon, then this great plot put together by the contemptable board will collapse.

Since the start of this season the stadium is less full, irrelevant of the lied statistics you give by announcing to fans that they are 60,123 fans at the stadium when we can all see more than 2000 seats empty. Or is it because those empty seats are season ticket holders who do not come to the game, yet they are counted. This is another sign of your money greed. The team want fans there to support them, they are not interested in tickets sold only bodies to sing their names and our songs.

I am a mere supporter who is a season ticket holder living in Bristol who travels to games, home and away. Every year my wife and I spend thousand following our beloved team travelling thousands of miles. But I am also a business man and can see that if you cut costs on the frontline then the pack of cards will collapse. It is logical and also business that less attendance at the stadium which we have already seen means less spending on merchandise, food, programmes. Young fans that are coming into football awareness will start to support Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea and we will lose a generation of supporters and from your point of view income. Do not think that you can keep milking the existing supporters because as the recession continues which it will more and more people will stop attending. I know you talk about waiting lists for season tickets but I know that is also dropping. They may be on a list but when they are offered a ticket they are declining it because of both price and because of where we are as a football club.

I want to see like millions of supporters a strong football club with great support for a fantastic manager rather than a cheating, stealing overinflated board who come out with statements like you did about your support for Mr Wenger this week…. Where were you 4 months ago when transfer talks were going on? I presume the board were on holiday. When Mr Dein was with us he was at the front with Mr Wenger looking for players to strengthen the team and also raw talent for the future. You useless lot were too busy counting your ill gained profits and as for the major shareholder “Silent Stan” where was he?

What does this board propose doing to turn round the fortunes of this club, and I mean in playing football rather than lining your pockets with personal wealth. You have cheated honest working class people in a time when everyone is feeling the financial pressures.

My suggestion to the above question is for the board to either take a back seat or resign and find people who will REALLY support Mr Wenger rather than feeding us complete bull.

Yours sincerely

(1) (Reply)

Stephen Keshi Receives His Range Rover And Toyota Camry From Glo / The Manchester United 2013/2014 New Home Kit / Yobo Quits Football As Stephen Keshi Resigns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.