Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,036 members, 7,825,261 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 10:18 AM

An Open Letter To Mikel Obi - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / An Open Letter To Mikel Obi (35755 Views)

Twitter Reactions To Mikel Obi's Brilliant Display Against Crystal Palace / A Tribute To Mikel Obi - The Irreplaceable Chelsea Midfielder / Is Joel Obi Related To Mikel? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Open Letter To Mikel Obi by Lordabas: 11:28am On Jul 11, 2014

Dear Mikel,

I’ve just been looking at you… I’ve just sat down in this my corner and I’ve been looking at you and the rubbish that you played in this World Cup. God knows if I had told you what was on my mind before now, FIFA would have banned Nigeria from competitive football for at least 5 years.

Before the competition kicked off proper majority of Nigerians believed you would be key to the team’s chances, and if you had a good tournament the team would too. We had some concerns after the first few friendlies in which you played absolute rubbish, but optimistically waved your performances away chalking it down to the non-competitiveness of friendly games.

Oya the World Cup started and it was time to step up to the plate. Apparently you left your plate back on the bench at Chelsea where you have a designated spot complete with a power outlet to charge your phone while the games are played. Against Iran Nigerians cringed to watch you stroll round the midfield like you were the reigning World Footballer of the Year, losing the ball time and time again with your ‘big-man’ passes and over-exposing poor Ogenyi Onazi as you refused to help defend. Okay, maybe it’s because it’s Iran and Mikel will step up against Bosnia, we said. Wishful thinking. We suffered through another lethargic performance in which you were nearly invisible and we saw more of the linesmen than your otu arse. Thank God for Osaze and Emenike, two of our standout performers at the competition for combining sweetly and bagging the goal that won the game for us. Their excellent performances overshadowed your disappointing showing. Osaze, a 32-year old player was running his lungs out that day while Mikel, reportedly 27 years old (although we know better) was walking about the middle of the park like he was at a picnic. We sha won that game without your contribution…

Argentina vs Nigeria. The BIG day! The game we qualified for the World Cup to play! On one hand, we had the MVP of the 2005 U-20 World Cup Leo Messi and on the other we had the MVP runner-up in the same competition, Mikel Obi. It was expected that both ‘stars’ would renew their rivalry and influence the game for both their sides…We all saw how the story played out… Messi was in supreme form, scoring two sweet goals while Mikel Obi turned in another anonymous, god-awful performance that must have had Jose Mourinho frantically working the phones to managers of lower-league sides, trying to sell his professional bench-warmer to any club dumb enough to take a gamble on him.

Three games, no Mikel Obi… Unlike 2005 where he and Taiye Taiwo (who was 3rd most valuable player) were old men bullying their juniors and forming stars, Mikel was competing in a tournament of his mates and was brutally exposed as a lazy player whose style of play was a big minus to his team. Remember that Messi is supposed to be your ‘mate’ o, but in terms of achievements he has completely dwarfed the hell out of you since your breakout tournament in 2005.

92 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Mikel Obi by Lordabas: 11:29am On Jul 11, 2014
CONTD: Want to know some of your other ‘mates’ at that tournament? Fernando Llorente, David Silva, Pablo Zabaleta, and Radamel Falcao. Can you compare yourself in terms of skill and global reputation with these players you broke out with? Have you watched them play for their National sides? Have you seen their passion and commitment to winning for their countries? Would you rate yourself at par with them?

Dear Mikel, as I kept watching you play rubbish I asked myself if you would put in the same performance if Mourinho was generous enough to field you. Would you remorselessly keep losing the ball like a secondary school player if you were playing at Chelsea, especially as there are more than 5 top players who can play in your position and keep you on the bench where you have been perpetually? Is it safe to think you believe you are doing Nigeria a favour by putting on the Green-White-Green? It is one thing to be an Ahmed Musa who is a frustrating player but gives his best (within the limits of his skill) and it is another to be a Mikel, an overhyped, frustratingly lethargic player who never seems to turn up when he is expected to. While your arse left a permanent imprint on the Chelsea bench last season a number of Nigerian football fans kept asking why Mourinho didn’t play you…Now we see clearly why, with you lack of forward movement and your penchant for only passing sideways. There’s really nothing special about you, nigga. If I compare your play to the lady who plays in your position for the Falcons, I’m 100% sure she contributes more to the team than you.

My advice to you? Get ready for a sale to Leeds or West Brom or Charlton, as those are the kind of teams Mourinho is probably going to flog you to. If you like when you get there continue playing your big man football and see where that gets you. And if you don’t want to play for Nigeria, you can be going. As sure as the PDP is going to rig the hell out of the 2015 General Elections, we will definitely find a better, more committed player to take over the position you are occupying so disdainfully. I don’t know if it’s because you have a misguided superiority complex that you will refuse to pass the ball and be shielding it like an ode when an opponent comes close to you. Even when you mercifully agree to pass, 3 out of 5 passes are either sideways or you lose the ball. Maybe you aren’t completely to blame…Stephen Keshi should have been brave enough to bench the hell out of you given your dead performances. You claim to be an experienced player, but didn’t have the good sense to drop to the ground and get the referee to send Giroud off for that elbow on you. If he had been sent off, maybe we would have killed off France with our numerical advantage (seeing as we had them on the ropes for most of the game without your help) and we woulda made the quarters. Defence you no get, Attack you no get, sense you no get. Rubbish.

I’m done, cuz…I’m done. Just feck off

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1541821_mikelis_obilis_jpegb4fcf1db1711c6d2e575a7f32e6fafc1

http://www.pointblank.com.ng/2014/07/lmao-open-letter-to-nigeria-midfielder.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter&m=1

83 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Mikel Obi by Nobody: 11:50am On Jul 11, 2014
Too long,

6 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Mikel Obi by echobee(f): 11:51am On Jul 11, 2014
grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Mikel Obi by Ezedon(m): 12:02pm On Jul 11, 2014
As a Nigerian and Chelsea fan, i'm totally disappointed in him, i thought he is a star but there, always a dull moment with him

41 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Mikel Obi by freshprincex49(m): 12:03pm On Jul 11, 2014
You have said it all, there's nothing to add. Most Naija players after making money abroad become demi gods who feel they are untouchable. We are not patriotic enough, and until we correct this, we shall continue to churn out mikels and his likes...

If Pirlo and klose could still be banging in goals at their age, Mikel has no excuse for his woeful performance for Nigeria

34 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Mikel Obi by Kog45(m): 2:00pm On Jul 11, 2014
Lordabas: CONTD: Want to know some of your other ‘mates’ at that tournament? Fernando Llorente, David Silva, Pablo Zabaleta, and Radamel Falcao. Can you compare yourself in terms of skill and global reputation with these players you broke out with? Have you watched them play for their National sides? Have you seen their passion and commitment to winning for their countries? Would you rate yourself at par with them?
Dear Mikel, as I kept watching you play rubbish I asked myself if you would put in the same performance if Mourinho was generous enough to field you. Would you remorselessly keep losing the ball like a secondary school player if you were playing at Chelsea, especially as there are more than 5 top players who can play in your position and keep you on the bench where you have been perpetually? Is it safe to think you believe you are doing Nigeria a favour by putting on the Green-White-Green? It is one thing to be an Ahmed Musa who is a frustrating player but gives his best (within the limits of his skill) and it is another to be a Mikel, an overhyped, frustratingly lethargic player who never seems to turn up when he is expected to. While your arse left a permanent imprint on the Chelsea bench last season a number of Nigerian football fans kept asking why Mourinho didn’t play you…Now we see clearly why, with you lack of forward movement and your penchant for only passing sideways. There’s really nothing special about you, nigga. If I compare your play to the lady who plays in your position for the Falcons, I’m 100% sure she contributes more to the team than you.
My advice to you? Get ready for a sale to Leeds or West Brom or Charlton, as those are the kind of teams Mourinho is probably going to flog you to. If you like when you get there continue playing your big man football and see where that gets you. And if you don’t want to play for Nigeria, you can be going. As sure as the PDP is going to rig the hell out of the 2015 General Elections, we will definitely find a better, more committed player to take over the position you are occupying so disdainfully. I don’t know if it’s because you have a misguided superiority complex that you will refuse to pass the ball and be shielding it like an ode when an opponent comes close to you. Even when you mercifully agree to pass, 3 out of 5 passes are either sideways or you lose the ball. Maybe you aren’t completely to blame…Stephen Keshi should have been brave enough to bench the hell out of you given your dead performances. You claim to be an experienced player, but didn’t have the good sense to drop to the ground and get the referee to send Giroud off for that elbow on you. If he had been sent off, maybe we would have killed off France with our numerical advantage (seeing as we had them on the ropes for most of the game without your help) and we woulda made the quarters. Defence you no get, Attack you no get, sense you no get. Rubbish.
I’m done, cuz…I’m done. Just feck off

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1541821_mikelis_obilis_jpegb4fcf1db1711c6d2e575a7f32e6fafc1

http://www.pointblank.com.ng/2014/07/lmao-open-letter-to-nigeria-midfielder.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter&m=1
Mikel again!I'm fed up to read anything on Mikel.Pls try and post this thread to him personally.

6 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Mikel Obi by Hermanie(m): 5:50pm On Jul 11, 2014
There is no amount of evidence or DNA's that will make me accept that this guy is part of this our human race. Never in my life have i seen someone so slow, so un-committed, so unserious, so complacent. This doesn't surprise me a bit, but what keeps me wandering is how this guy is been hyped.

Surprisingly, he was nominated for the last African player of the year when i personally know guys alot better than him. Please guys tell me why Mikel should be a contender for that award when there are players like; Aubameyang (Gabon,Dortmund), Ayew, Moses, or better still our own goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama.

Even if we say its his position that limits him, can we still compare him with Pauinho, Gustavo, Xabi alonso, Khedira or even Barcelona's Sergio Busquets.

Bottom line is that Mikel is the biggest disappointment in this Nigeria's current crop of players.

31 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Mikel Obi by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jul 11, 2014
`

Woahhhhhh!

Mikel sent to the cleaners.

2 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Mikel Obi by JideTheBlogger(m): 11:32pm On Jul 11, 2014
When you na go free Mikel na? Na only him waka go World cup?

3 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Mikel Obi by Nobody: 6:06am On Jul 12, 2014
I pray he sees this, cos he is killing himself not Nigerians.

9 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Mikel Obi by coded01: 2:26pm On Jul 12, 2014
"Oun pe" grin grin grin

Bridge Boys F.C. dey der... grin tongue grin

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To Mikel Obi by zeelo2014: 2:26pm On Jul 12, 2014
Every player once had a low moment in their career.

12 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Mikel Obi by kossyablaze(m): 2:26pm On Jul 12, 2014
Mikelis Obilis

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: An Open Letter To Mikel Obi by safarigirl(f): 2:27pm On Jul 12, 2014
I won't read your jargons for now, cuz that's what it is- jargons. Expect my reply soon enough. grin

And to all those senseless mods promoting the Mikel hate, pushing every nonsensical bullsh-t some re-tarded im-becile posts to FP, diaris God..

Like I said, reply loading and make e no reach FP, una go see

11 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Mikel Obi by vizkiz: 2:27pm On Jul 12, 2014
Abeg who fit borrow me 50naira??

I don lost my wallet and this conductor go soon d̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ ask for money sad

6 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Mikel Obi by kossyablaze(m): 2:28pm On Jul 12, 2014
safarigirl: I won't read your jargons for now, cuz that's what it is- jargons. Expect my reply soon enough. grin

And to all those senseless mods promoting the Mikel hate, pushing every nonsensical bullsh-t some re-tarded im-becile posts, diaris God..

Like I said, reply loading and make e no reach FP, una go see
U sef.smh.U must nt rain abuses every time here on NL.U r a woman safari.Females got dignity.U cn do better!

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: An Open Letter To Mikel Obi by victorazy(m): 2:29pm On Jul 12, 2014
Anybody who expected Mike & Moses to play well during the world cup is blindded with sentimentality!, bench warmers our heros? Ur a joker! I never expected more from what they did.

7 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Mikel Obi by Ayorh4you(m): 2:29pm On Jul 12, 2014
BO.OKED. RDR
Re: An Open Letter To Mikel Obi by safarigirl(f): 2:30pm On Jul 12, 2014
kossyablaze: U sef.smh
wetin do me? Has the guy not been crucified enough?

What did he do wrong to deserve all of this? Did he pull a Suarez? Did he sscore OG? Doesn't it take 11 people to kick a ball? Why not sacrifice the other 10? Na only Mikel waka come Brazil?

Anyone who can't get over our exit needs to get a life. This is what happens when Nigerian government refuses to provide jobs, one jobless mofo that breaks palm kernel for a living will come here with borrowed BB to type nonsense about a man that has a proper job and is earning his pay.

Anybody beefing Mikel should go and give birth to our next number 10 or go buy soccer boot. Ogini?

31 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Mikel Obi by jhidey08(m): 2:30pm On Jul 12, 2014
Okay
Re: An Open Letter To Mikel Obi by dontjealousme: 2:30pm On Jul 12, 2014
Let us face it the disgrace of Nigeria football was Babatunde, the dude could not play a match without injury. Name one match Nigeria played at the world cup without dude getting injury time out?

He was so incompetent he had to use his hand to deflect a shot heading to the goal post. That incompetent dude cost us all the match.

13 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Mikel Obi by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jul 12, 2014
Mikel has lost focus and motivation.
He will not get better. He is declining and I can only see it dwindling further south. He thinks he's made enough money. The hunger to improve has left him.
Not just for Nigeria even his last few premier league matches.

5 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Mikel Obi by Babyboy1986(m): 2:31pm On Jul 12, 2014
I no get that time to read this book way you write here..Today na FP things i dey ooo. smiley smiley smiley
Re: An Open Letter To Mikel Obi by Talkcentral: 2:31pm On Jul 12, 2014
g
Re: An Open Letter To Mikel Obi by Pavore9: 2:32pm On Jul 12, 2014
Hmm..we all know the guy is declining big time but let us leave him with his own struggles and face our lives. For those who do not want to let go of his poor performance, abeg reel out your contributions to your local communities.
Re: An Open Letter To Mikel Obi by Nobody: 2:32pm On Jul 12, 2014
Mikel is not entirely to blame. Nigeria wanted him to develop as a 10 but Mourinho wants him as a 4. A replacement to Makelele and because of Lampard he was not given the opportunity as a 10. He should learn from the likes of Pogba. Mikel moved to Chelsea very young before his education was complete on very high wages and I think that killed his hungr and desire to improve. Now he is confused whether to play as a 4 or a 10. With hindsight it is clear Chelsea was not the right club for him. I would advise that he moves to a club like Liverpool or ManU Arsenal or go to Germany. He is still talented and just needs to work with the right coach.Mourinho can be a talent killer as we saw with Robben who would be telling the same story if he stayed at Chelsea.

9 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Mikel Obi by DaBozz(m): 2:32pm On Jul 12, 2014
I've got no hatred for Mikel but the truth must be said. It's obvious that Mikel has chosen not to improve as a player and he's very contented with his lackluster display. If not sold this summer, Mikel will be on Chelsea's bench for a long time with a safety belt, under a 3D shade and probably with some popcorn.

8 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Mikel Obi by Lordabas: 2:32pm On Jul 12, 2014
This space is for sell

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To Mikel Obi by Adenugay(m): 2:34pm On Jul 12, 2014
I don't seem to get the point here....

Ejigbo School Structure Collapse Not Ordinary – Osun Speaker >>>> http://www..com/ejigbo-school-structure-collapse-not-ordinary-osun-speaker/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

'Messi Aigbe' Trending On Nigerian Twitter After Barcelona's Loss To Liverpool / "The Funds Spended Were Properly Spended" - Solomon Dalung / Victor Moses And Ahmed Musa Snub NFF President Amaju Pinnick At Yaounde Airporta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.