Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,975 members, 7,810,705 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:41 PM

What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? (72656 Views)

How Desperate Nigerians Seeking Asylum, Usually Lie To America & Other Countries / Africa Countries That Started And Completed Their Rail Mass Transit After Lagos / 6 Common Things We Do That Cause Accident While Driving (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by aboyaji(m): 3:21pm On Apr 21, 2023
I'll go first...

1. Cooking gas: Cooking gas is very cheap in ivory Coast. It costs an average of #330/kg of gas. So refilling a 12.5 kg cylinder should cost you #4125 at most.

2. Kerosene: kerosene costs relatively about #650/ litre in the fuel station, where the black market sells for #800/ litre.

Note : This country's oil production is very poor o. They're not even anywhere close to Naija's production.

3. Organisation: Ivory coast is very well organized that you can barely run into unorganized environment. Many areas are safely guarded by their local police officers stationed almost everywhere. You can as well make friends with the officers easily without any form of threat from them. They're very welcoming.

4. Very low violent place: People can move around as late as 10pm till dawn without the fear of harassment or violence. In fact, children play in the tarred road as late as 10pm. They have already come to terms about how safe they are in the country. People can stay up late wherever they went to without rushing back home due to nightfall. Night movements was my best !

5. Good Road network: I spent close to 7 months in ivory Coast and could barely see a road untarred. Almost every road I used was smoothly done and stretched to various cities and States. The only place my leg touched Sandy soil was in my compound because the landlord was still constructing more buildings in the site. So our compound was sandy at the moment.
Tarred road stretched into all compounds in ivory Coast. It's not the responsibility of the government to do your compound, it's yours. I was marvelled by such development though I spent most of my time in the rural area.

6. Security: Police is your friend is the Moto in ivory Coast. Really nice people. I guess I've said it somewhere before now.

6a. Theft is ALMOST uncertainty. The prepaid meter of every individual house is stationed outside the main building without burglary or iron shield. Anybody can touch it. It wasn't even stationed very high from the ground level. It went only as far as 3-4 feets high. A child of 10 can touch it too.

Our apartment is in a 2 storey building comprising of almost 33 units of one bedroom apartments. The building was built like a shopping complex. All of the prepaid meters used in this apartments are stationed outside where everyone can see and feel it. But no one steals it, likewise every other houses there.

6b. Once there was a particular theft in my ivorian friend's shop that I know of. There were 5 boys who was involved in burgling his computer and phone shop one night. But before 5am, the boys were all caught with the complete stolen items retrieved. Funny enough, my friend didn't know. He was woken up by the police to come to his shop and see the guys. And he didn't have to SETTLE THE POLICE FOR DOING THEIR JOBS grin.

7. There is constant electricity in that country. CONSTANT.
I only observed a few nightouts and those periods were understandable. They all know when the lights would go off in the week or month and have come to terms with it. Light doesn't go off intermittently as obtained in Nigeria. And throughout my stay there, I didn't pay for light bill or water. My caretaker didn't mention it to me too. I was surprised. Steady light cheesy

8. Economy: Their economy is very good. It's almost equaling to the Naira at the time I left. So, if you hear 500 CFA there, it's almost equivalent to 500 Naira. So don't do too much calculation.

8a. Minimum wage is very much respected and applied. A POS attendant over their is living a good standard life. A bar attendant earns about 20,000 CFA weekly... WEEKLY o. I mean a local bar attendant. How much more a corporate hotel or bar attendant or waiter.

8b. The money you earn can fetch you a standard living. Their money is easily made and spent too.

9. FOOD grin grin grin: Our area of specialty.

Food is over cheap compared to what's obtained in Naija. You can see someone who earns little but could afford chicken or any frozen food. Food is not part of their problems for now. Banana can go as low as 50 CFA or 50 Naira and it is not the small quantity we're talking about.

A bunch of Bananas that you can get from a roadside vendor in Naija for 800 could be gotten for 150 CFA. So you see it. Once I bought 2 Bunches of banana for 50 each, I couldn't finish them for 3 days.

9a. So sorry, vegetables can be scarcely found there my dear. I made most of my soup without vegetables. That part I didn't enjoy undecided

That's for now. Anybody can add.

637 Likes 77 Shares

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by superlanny(m): 3:22pm On Apr 21, 2023
Hmmm

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Ever8090: 3:36pm On Apr 21, 2023
Make people wey don travel out talk so that we too go hear ...

70 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Highesschief1: 4:30pm On Apr 21, 2023
Travelling is the best gift you can give yourself...

473 Likes 30 Shares

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Orfankwagh(m): 4:37pm On Apr 21, 2023
Every country good,na only NIGERIA my country no good. Yet some people with all the OP write up here,them still they support that cartel man make e come add fuel ontop the small damages wey we dey fight against.

281 Likes 24 Shares

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by aboyaji(m): 4:53pm On Apr 21, 2023
10. The use of generators: I never heard the sound of generators throughout my stay there. Even barbershops don't have it. Light is in abundance. Many times I cut my hair in their shops, I looked out for generator even one of those days there was interruption in power, no barber owned a generator to assist his work. Nobody at all. Total blackouts is generally distributed once there's interruption due to maintenance.

Why won't the barbers make it financially, there? cheesy

245 Likes 18 Shares

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by DearGorgeous(f): 5:01pm On Apr 21, 2023
@Op - How much do I need to travel for let's say, three (3) weeks vacation to Ivory Coast? I was considering the Gambia initially, but it's like I already have a change of mind.

107 Likes 8 Shares

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by aboyaji(m): 5:36pm On Apr 21, 2023
DearGorgeous:
@Op - How much do I need to travel for let's say, three (3) weeks vacation to Ivory Coast? I was considering the Gambia initially, but it's like I already have a change of mind.

Gambia is a very good place to be. If you have the cash.

Going to ivory Coast should take up to 80k. But you must factor hotel bills and normal itinerary too

112 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by DearGorgeous(f): 10:07pm On Apr 21, 2023
aboyaji:

Gambia is a very good place to be. If you have the cash.

Going to ivory Coast should take up to 80k. But you must factor hotel bills and normal itinerary too

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I will like to visit the Gambia. And now that Ivory Coast is in the offing, I will try visiting there too.

50 Likes 8 Shares

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by aboyaji(m): 7:51pm On Apr 22, 2023
DearGorgeous:

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I will like to visit the Gambia. And now that Ivory Coast is in the offing, I will try visiting there too.

You're welcome

8 Likes

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by fortunez1(m): 7:59pm On Apr 22, 2023
Nice one but no pictures to support ur claims.

54 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:02pm On Apr 22, 2023
LoL ivory coast. The same one I know. Continue to cap. As horrible as Nigeria is, the only African country better than Nigeria is south Africa.

140 Likes 13 Shares

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Backpedal: 8:40pm On Apr 22, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
LoL ivory coast. The same one I know. Continue to cap. As horrible as Nigeria is, the only African country better than Nigeria is south Africa.
Ivory Coast is also very nice
I have been there and I can testify

Though it has its own problems too

125 Likes 7 Shares

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:56pm On Apr 22, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
LoL ivory coast. The same one I know. Continue to cap. As horrible as Nigeria Is, The only African country better than Nigeria is south Africa.

Tenza, E be like you don Smoke Weed this Night😂

Algeria?
Tunisia?
Morroco?
Egypt?
Seychelles?
Namibia?

313 Likes 25 Shares

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:07pm On Apr 22, 2023
Evolutionlove:

Tenza, E be like you don Smoke Weed this Night😂

Algeria?
Tunisia?
Morroco?
Egypt?
Maldives?
Seychelles?
Namibia?

Nigeria better pass Namibia. Job no dey that country. I no consider those north African countries as African nations na. I have been to Morocco and everything about it felt and looked European down to the most basic Infrastructure. When I talk Africa, na black man countries for Africa I dey talk.

269 Likes 28 Shares

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Apr 22, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Nigeria better pass Namibia. Job no dey that country.

I no consider those north African countries as African nations na. I have been to Morocco and everything about it felt and looked European down to the most basic Infrastructure. When I talk Africa, na black man countries for Africa I dey talk.

Oh I was Wondering Ooh😊

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by internationalman(m): 10:29pm On Apr 22, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

How would you know the horrible state of Nigeria when you've not seen other countries..

So until then let people that have seen other countries talk.

130 Likes 11 Shares

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by haybhi1(m): 1:19am On Apr 23, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

How far, chief, why you comot Morocco?

6 Likes

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by haybhi1(m): 1:25am On Apr 23, 2023
Op, how does one cope with language barrier?

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:51am On Apr 23, 2023
haybhi1:

How far, chief, why you comot Morocco?

I finished what I went there to do grin

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Umegoejiofor(m): 7:23pm On Apr 23, 2023
A bunch of Bananas that you can get from a roadside vendor in Naija for 800 could be gotten for 150 CFA. So you see it. Once I bought 2 Bunches of banana for 50 each, I couldn't finish them for 3 days.

9a. So sorry, vegetables can be scarcely found there my dear. I made most of my soup without vegetables. That part I didn't enjoy undecided

That's for now. Anybody can add.[/quote] please I want to relocate to Abidjan, how is London used (fairly used) laptop business that side?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Umegoejiofor(m): 7:25pm On Apr 23, 2023
aboyaji:
10. The use of generators: I never heard the sound of generators throughout my stay there. Even barbershops don't have it. Light is in abundance. Many times I cut my hair in their shops, I looked out for generator even one of those days there was interruption in power, no barber owned a generator to assist his work. Nobody at all. Total blackouts is generally distributed once there's interruption due to maintenance.

Why won't the barbers make it, financially there? cheesy
please I want to relocate to Abidjan to sell London used (fairly used) laptops,how lucrative is the business that side?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by aboyaji(m): 2:03am On Apr 24, 2023
Umegoejiofor:
please I want to relocate to Abidjan to sell London used (fairly used) laptops,how lucrative is the business that side?
very lucrative.

6 Likes

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Akano5(m): 11:08am On Apr 24, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Nigeria better pass Namibia. Job no dey that country. I no consider those north African countries as African nations na. I have been to Morocco and everything about it felt and looked European down to the most basic Infrastructure. When I talk Africa, na black man countries for Africa I dey talk.

Job no dey Namibia but job dey naija
Keep giving yourself false hope

172 Likes 12 Shares

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:42am On Apr 24, 2023
Akano5:

Job no dey Namibia but job dey naija
Keep giving yourself false hope

Dude no one hates Nigeria more than I do but there's data and data doesn't care about feelings. When I newly got into tech I was always on job sites and Nigeria and south Africa are the only countries in Africa with job openings. This isn't even related to tech. I am talking about the general job market. I am posting all the number of jobs from LinkedIn from both Namibia and Nigeria under this post.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Akano5(m): 11:05am On Apr 25, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Dude no one hates Nigeria more than I do but there's data and data doesn't care about feelings. When I newly got into tech I was always on job sites and Nigeria and south Africa are the only countries in Africa with job openings. This isn't even related to tech. I am talking about the general job market. I am posting all the number of jobs from LinkedIn from both Namibia and Nigeria under this post.

i agree with you to some extent but i disagree with you about the availability of Jobs in the general market.... at least check the percentage of students graduating every year and compare it with the percentage of graduates getting employed....

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:11am On Apr 25, 2023
Akano5:

i agree with you to some extent but i disagree with you about the availability of Jobs in the general market.... at least check the percentage of students graduating every year and compare it with the percentage of graduates getting employed....

True there's no job in Nigeria but other African countries are worst. In a lot of these countries once you leave university you just go back to your father's house and farm. In Cameroon just here doctors hawk drugs as there are no jobs for doctors. You can imagine for other professions. South Africa has the most job openings but the unemployment rate in south Africa is around 70 percent

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Akano5(m): 11:29am On Apr 25, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

True there's no job in Nigeria but other African countries are worst. In a lot of these countries once you leave university you just go back to your father's house and farm. In Cameroon just here doctors hawk drugs as there are no jobs for doctors. You can imagine for other professions. South Africa has the most job openings but the unemployment rate in south Africa is around 70 percent

In conclusion, there is unemployment everywhere...
What field are you in tech bro?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:34am On Apr 25, 2023
Akano5:

In conclusion, there is unemployment everywhere...
What field are you in tech bro?

Web development. Unemployment is a huge problem in Africa. For instance even though south Africa has the most job openings in Africa. It has less job openings than Uruguay a country of less than 5 million people in south America and much lower salaries. I noticed this two years ago and even made a thread on it

https://www.nairaland.com/6079537/cant-escape-africa-please-not

Things have actually gotten worst since I made this thread on the African continent

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Akano5(m): 11:47am On Apr 25, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Web development. Unemployment is a huge problem in Africa. For instance even though south Africa has the most job openings in Africa. It has less job openings than Uruguay a country of less than 5 million people in south America and much lower salaries. I noticed this two years ago and even made a thread on it

Things have actually gotten worst since I made this thread on the African continent

Damn, ahh, I'm speechless bro

3 Likes

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Akano5(m): 11:57am On Apr 25, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Ahh, Damn, I'm speechless

2 Likes

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by seunny4lif(m): 12:22pm On Apr 25, 2023
In Senegal, if you slap a military man, they will beat the shit out of you but if you touch a police man can land you in 2 years in jail without trial.

14 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Twitter War: Nigeria Vs Kenya (Photos) / Huge Rock In Saudi Arabia Looks Like It Was Cut In Half With Laser Beam(Pics) / Uche Osagie's 3 Children Die In New Year's Crash In Canada (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.