Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,259 members, 7,822,316 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:56 AM

What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? (72785 Views)

How Desperate Nigerians Seeking Asylum, Usually Lie To America & Other Countries / Africa Countries That Started And Completed Their Rail Mass Transit After Lagos / 6 Common Things We Do That Cause Accident While Driving (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by SleekyP(m): 11:58pm On Apr 25, 2023
Ivory coast is well organized.... whether rich or poor you all enjoy the 24hrs light and water.

You pay monthly or quarterly.

Naija food yapa...hold your cash

Your five star hotel in naija is their 3star hotel

El maximum securité

Overall summary......Better than Nigeria right now.
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by SleekyP(m): 12:02am On Apr 26, 2023
Holluwhakemmy:
kindly take me along I'm interested too
let's go grin

1 Like

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by yom2(m): 12:44am On Apr 26, 2023
aboyaji:
I'll go first...

1. Cooking gas: Cooking gas is very cheap in ivory Coast. It costs an average of #330/kg of gas. So refilling a 12.5 kg cylinder should cost you #4125 at most.

2. Kerosene: kerosene costs relatively about #650/ litre in the fuel station, where the black market sells for #800/ litre.j

Note : This country's oil production is very poor o. They're not even anywhere close to Naija's production.

3. Organisation: Ivory coast is very well organized that you can barely run into unorganized environment. Many areas are safely guarded by their local police officers stationed almost everywhere. You can as well make friends with the officers easily without any form of threat from them. They're very welcoming.

4. Very low violent place: People can move around as late as 10pm till dawn without the fear of harassment or violence. In fact, children play in the tarred road as late as 10pm. They have already come to terms about how safe they are in the country. People can stay up late wherever they went to without rushing back home due to nightfall. Night movements was my best !

5. Good Road network: I spent close to 7 months in ivory Coast and could barely see a road untarred. Almost every road I used was smoothly done and stretched to various cities and States. The only place my leg touched Sandy soil was in my compound because the landlord was still constructing more buildings in the site. So our compound was sandy at the moment.
Tarred road stretched into all compounds in ivory Coast. It's not the responsibility of the government to do your compound, it's yours. I was marvelled by such development though I spent most of my time in the rural area.

6. Security: Police is your friend is the Moto in ivory Coast. Really nice people. I guess I've said it somewhere before now.

6a. Theft is ALMOST uncertainty. The prepaid meter of every individual house is stationed outside the main building without burglary or iron shield. Anybody can touch it. It wasn't even stationed very high from the ground level. It went only as far as 3-4 feets high. A child of 10 can touch it too.

Our apartment is in a 2 storey building comprising of almost 33 units of one bedroom apartments. The building was built like a shopping complex. All of the prepaid meters used in this apartments are stationed outside where everyone can see and feel it. But no one steals it, likewise every other houses there.

6b. Once there was a particular theft in my ivorian friend's shop that I know of. There were 5 boys who was involved in burgling his computer and phone shop one night. But before 5am, the boys were all caught with the complete stolen items retrieved. Funny enough, my friend didn't know. He was woken up by the police to come to his shop and see the guys. And he didn't have to SETTLE THE POLICE FOR DOING THEIR JOBS grin.

7. There is constant electricity in that country. CONSTANT.
I only observed a few nightouts and those periods were understandable. They all know when the lights would go off in the week or month and have come to terms with it. Light doesn't go off intermittently as obtained in Nigeria. And throughout my stay there, I didn't pay for light bill or water. My caretaker didn't mention it to me too. I was surprised. Steady light cheesy

8. Economy: Their economy is very good. It's almost equaling to the Naira at the time I left. So, if you hear 500 CFA there, it's almost equivalent to 500 Naira. So don't do too much calculation.

8a. Minimum wage is very much respected and applied. A POS attendant over their is living a good standard life. A bar attendant earns about 20,000 CFA weekly... WEEKLY o. I mean a local bar attendant. How much more a corporate hotel or bar attendant or waiter.

8b. The money you earn can fetch you a standard living. Their money is easily made and spent too.

9. FOOD grin grin grin: Our area of specialty.

Food is over cheap compared to what's obtained in Naija. You can see someone who earns little but could afford chicken or any frozen food. Food is not part of their problems for now. Banana can go as low as 50 CFA or 50 Naira and it is not the small quantity we're talking about.

A bunch of Bananas that you can get from a roadside vendor in Naija for 800 could be gotten for 150 CFA. So you see it. Once I bought 2 Bunches of banana for 50 each, I couldn't finish them for 3 days.

9a. So sorry, vegetables can be scarcely found there my dear. I made most of my soup without vegetables. That part I didn't enjoy undecided

That's for now. Anybody can add.
that means they don't have vegetables
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by 9jaRealist: 12:44am On Apr 26, 2023
aboyaji:
I'll go first...

1. Cooking gas: Cooking gas is very cheap in ivory Coast. It costs an average of #330/kg of gas. So refilling a 12.5 kg cylinder should cost you #4125 at most.

2. Kerosene: kerosene costs relatively about #650/ litre in the fuel station, where the black market sells for #800/ litre.

Note : This country's oil production is very poor o. They're not even anywhere close to Naija's production.

3. Organisation: Ivory coast is very well organized that you can barely run into unorganized environment. Many areas are safely guarded by their local police officers stationed almost everywhere. You can as well make friends with the officers easily without any form of threat from them. They're very welcoming.

4. Very low violent place: People can move around as late as 10pm till dawn without the fear of harassment or violence. In fact, children play in the tarred road as late as 10pm. They have already come to terms about how safe they are in the country. People can stay up late wherever they went to without rushing back home due to nightfall. Night movements was my best !

5. Good Road network: I spent close to 7 months in ivory Coast and could barely see a road untarred. Almost every road I used was smoothly done and stretched to various cities and States. The only place my leg touched Sandy soil was in my compound because the landlord was still constructing more buildings in the site. So our compound was sandy at the moment.
Tarred road stretched into all compounds in ivory Coast. It's not the responsibility of the government to do your compound, it's yours. I was marvelled by such development though I spent most of my time in the rural area.

6. Security: Police is your friend is the Moto in ivory Coast. Really nice people. I guess I've said it somewhere before now.

6a. Theft is ALMOST uncertainty. The prepaid meter of every individual house is stationed outside the main building without burglary or iron shield. Anybody can touch it. It wasn't even stationed very high from the ground level. It went only as far as 3-4 feets high. A child of 10 can touch it too.

Our apartment is in a 2 storey building comprising of almost 33 units of one bedroom apartments. The building was built like a shopping complex. All of the prepaid meters used in this apartments are stationed outside where everyone can see and feel it. But no one steals it, likewise every other houses there.

6b. Once there was a particular theft in my ivorian friend's shop that I know of. There were 5 boys who was involved in burgling his computer and phone shop one night. But before 5am, the boys were all caught with the complete stolen items retrieved. Funny enough, my friend didn't know. He was woken up by the police to come to his shop and see the guys. And he didn't have to SETTLE THE POLICE FOR DOING THEIR JOBS grin.

I only observed a few nightouts and those periods were understandable. They all know when the lights would go off in the week or month and have come to terms with it. Light doesn't go off intermittently as obtained in Nigeria. And throughout my stay there, I didn't pay for light bill or water. My caretaker didn't mention it to me too. I was surprised. Steady light cheesy

8. Economy: Their economy is very good. It's almost equaling to the Naira at the time I left. So, if you hear 500 CFA there, it's almost equivalent to 500 Naira. So don't do too much calculation.

8a. Minimum wage is very much respected and applied. A POS attendant over their is living a good standard life. A bar attendant earns about 20,000 CFA weekly... WEEKLY o. I mean a local bar attendant. How much more a corporate hotel or bar attendant or waiter.

8b. The money you earn can fetch you a standard living. Their money is easily made and spent too.

Food is over cheap compared to what's obtained in Naija. You can see someone who earns little but could afford chicken or any frozen food. Food is not part of their problems for now. Banana can go as low as 50 CFA or 50 Naira and it is not the small quantity we're talking about.

A bunch of Bananas that you can get from a roadside vendor in Naija for 800 could be gotten for 150 CFA. So you see it. Once I bought 2 Bunches of banana for 50 each, I couldn't finish them for 3 days.

9a. So sorry, vegetables can be scarcely found there my dear. I made most of my soup without vegetables. That part I didn't enjoy undecided

If you want to ruin CIV, simply ship Nigerians there…
The primary problem is not ‘Nigeria’, but NIGERIANS!
grin
>
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Mayorteddy59: 12:47am On Apr 26, 2023
May be you reside in a wrong part of Ivory Coast because I live there and I can 100% tell you the op is right.
tensazangetsu20:
LoL ivory coast. The same one I know. Continue to cap. As horrible as Nigeria is, the only African country better than Nigeria is south Africa.
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by AderonkeOlaniyi(f): 12:53am On Apr 26, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

I finished what I went there to do grin

Keep kwayet!!! You have never travelled out in your entire life. We sniff out liars on this forum. Na our work.

2 Likes

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Mayorteddy59: 12:57am On Apr 26, 2023
Stop giving false info about something you have little knowledge of. A tin of bonne rouge is just 500. And 500 here is not a lot of money unlike 🇳🇬. Everyone can easily afford it
godofuck231:
Have you tried buying a tin of milk in ivory coast ? Body go tell you
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Mayorteddy59: 12:59am On Apr 26, 2023
Ivory Coast is better than Nigeria bro. It's easier to get job here and the standard of living is affordable..
simfrost90210:
grin grin grin
.., shebi somebody said you should nyash down in Nigeria if it's not RSA you're relocating to, so long as your intention is a BLACK African Nation.. dis one come waka go Ivory coast!!!
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by generationz(f): 12:59am On Apr 26, 2023
aboyaji:
I'll go first...

2. Kerosene: kerosene costs relatively about #650/ litre in the fuel station, where the black market sells for #800/ litre.

OP how much is rent?_ how much did you get your one bedroom apartment and how much is two bedroom apartment?
A Nigerian lady there said rent is quite expensive.

Also, how did you deal with Language Barrier?
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Laughingkk: 1:09am On Apr 26, 2023
DearGorgeous:

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I will like to visit the Gambia. And now that Ivory Coast is in the offing, I will try visiting there too.

Don't just visit , relocate and stay there
The OP is very ungrateful and ......I don't know what to tell him
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Princedapace(m): 1:15am On Apr 26, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
LoL ivory coast. The same one I know. Continue to cap. As horrible as Nigeria is, the only African country better than Nigeria is south Africa.

Chaii, can u imagine the lies.
Nigeria has nothing to compare with Algeria sef grin
People like u lie a lot. Do u know that in many African countries, generators are not common at all as it is in Nigeria.
Did also know that many countries here still have standard water running in their houses from govt.
Did also know that many here have very low crime rate and low fraud rate. That we actually migrate to these countries to commit fraud becus our own IP and image have cast.
Baba, naija is worse.

3 Likes

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Princedapace(m): 1:17am On Apr 26, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Dude no one hates Nigeria more than I do but there's data and data doesn't care about feelings. When I newly got into tech I was always on job sites and Nigeria and south Africa are the only countries in Africa with job openings. This isn't even related to tech. I am talking about the general job market. I am posting all the number of jobs from LinkedIn from both Namibia and Nigeria under this post.

Is it eveyone that is looking for job?
Some peolle just want steady electricity, clean cities, low crime rate, low fraud rate, good roads.. No country in Africa beats Namibia in terms of strong road network and standard road system, sane society, etc. So, chill, life no start and end for looking for jobs. Some of us don't like sound of generator

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Princedapace(m): 1:23am On Apr 26, 2023
miketayo:

Jobs for Locals or foreigners? they have jobs, our unemployment rate is way above theirs.
There is a no way Nigeria is better than Namibia.. they have good roads, extremely clean cities, cheaper food, a stronger currency and passport.

Don't mind that yeye guy. He is looking for country to be providing him jobs that his country couldn't provide for him. A typical Nigerian, always looking for what fo tap from or who to employ him. No creativity at all.
A country like Namibia has given u all u need to succed, do your thing.
They have stable electricity, peaceful and sane societies, clean cities, strong currency, strong passport, standard road system, clean water, what else do u need? U want them to dash u job?
U know Nigerians na, always looking for one place they will hit it big and intimidate others.
Imagine I live in a country where I don't hear sound of generator, I ahve strong passport and strong currency, what else Am I looking for?
A lot of black people don't know how to take opportunities and create jobs. Na where whites beat us be that.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Brokeness(m): 1:39am On Apr 26, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Dude no one hates Nigeria more than I do but there's data and data doesn't care about feelings. When I newly got into tech I was always on job sites and Nigeria and south Africa are the only countries in Africa with job openings. This isn't even related to tech. I am talking about the general job market. I am posting all the number of jobs from LinkedIn from both Namibia and Nigeria under this post.

Greetings. I see you're versed in online skill. Pls I want to learn Google ad by enrolling for a course in Coursera, is it a good move? Will I have enough jobs at my disposal after mastering the craft?

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Ogaonos: 1:43am On Apr 26, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Nigeria better pass Namibia. Job no dey that country. I no consider those north African countries as African nations na. I have been to Morocco and everything about it felt and looked European down to the most basic Infrastructure. When I talk Africa, na black man countries for Africa I dey talk.
namibia beta pass naija on infrastuctures but behind naija on jobs due to its small population of 2million.i think their govt needs to work more nd invest more in marketing namibia tourism.

1 Like

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by olaniyilukman(m): 2:50am On Apr 26, 2023
Backpedal:

Ivory Coast is also very nice
I have been there and I can testify

Though it has its own problems too
I will never admit to your submission, South African is not only African country that are better than Nigeria, we have so many Africans countries that are better than Nigerians such as Egypt, Morroco, Algeria and even some countries in west Africa here but see this Nigeria is a version of hell on Earth, we people living there are serving punishment we committed in our first coming world, this country is a curse to humanity....

2 Likes

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Caseless: 3:33am On Apr 26, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Nigeria better pass Namibia. Job no dey that country. I no consider those north African countries as African nations na. I have been to Morocco and everything about it felt and looked European down to the most basic Infrastructure. When I talk Africa, na black man countries for Africa I dey talk.
Do you consider Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago as African countries? Egypt and the rest are africans.
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Caseless: 3:36am On Apr 26, 2023
Akano5:

i agree with you to some extent but i disagree with you about the availability of Jobs in the general market.... at least check the percentage of students graduating every year and compare it with the percentage of graduates getting employed....

the question is,are the students employable? That you graduated doesn't mean you're qualified or well taught.
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Wotowotoman: 3:37am On Apr 26, 2023
chosengocap:

There are lots of veggies there you didn't just know where to get them .

Are you minding the idiot?
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by juman(m): 3:38am On Apr 26, 2023
Tinubu de, irorun de.
Tinubu will change everything for better.
He know how to do it.
God bless nigeria.

1 Like

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by juman(m): 3:42am On Apr 26, 2023
Dont stay doing nothing.
Dont stay idle.
Go out and be doing anything legally, start from anything.
Learn from those that in your family or neighborhood how they are doing well financially. You can do what they are doing.
You need to be very hard working to be successful.
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by balingaonline(m): 3:58am On Apr 26, 2023
Benwallt:

Naija mentality (a disgraceful and disreputable mentality). While the citizens of the other side prefer staying in their country, contribute their quota and develop their country. Very sad and thoughtless people full this country
Nothing bad in traveling, there's difference between traveling and relocating, why wouldn't you want to feeding your eye with sighting of the beautiful thing (nature and man made) in the other side when you are not in Northern Korea.
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Ilamina(f): 4:13am On Apr 26, 2023
That country that has election violence every election
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by TemmyT002(m): 4:26am On Apr 26, 2023
Na that 7 and 10 pain me pass
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by TreasureJunky: 4:35am On Apr 26, 2023
Dear OP, how much will it cost to go for vacation in ivory coast, I want to for vacation there, since life there is relatively affordable. Just 1 or 2 weeks vacation. I just want to leave the shores of this country for once. Please can you reply me, and let's discuss this. I'm very serious about it. You can give me your WhatsApp number

aboyaji:
I'll go first...

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Gerrard59(m): 5:17am On Apr 26, 2023
Ken4Christ:

Give examples of English colonized countries in Africa that are better than their French counterparts.

A citizen of Ivory Coast can easily get visa and travel to France but a Nigerian will not get vise easily and go to UK.

C'mon! Check the top economies in sub-Saharan Africa, ALL are Anglophone countries. Francophone countries are terribly poor. It is the reason many people outside Africa don't learn French (except those aiming at Canada Express Entry). The language is economically useless as the majority of its speakers are in Africa. Due to Nigeria's population, she has plenty poor people. But when you factor in Burundi, Niger Republic, Mali, Burkina Faso, Guinea Conakry, DRC, Cameroon, Congo Republic, Chad, Mauritania etc. Damn! Terribly poor!

As for UK visa, even a donkey in Nigeria can be issued the visa, Absolutely anyone in Nigeria can be issued a UK visa.

2 Likes

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Gerrard59(m): 5:31am On Apr 26, 2023
Caseless:
Do you consider Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago as African countries? Egypt and the rest are africans.

Yes. When people mention Africa, the black man comes to mind. When people mention Arab, Egyptians and Co come to mind. Egyptians and Co are only "Africans" by geography, but culturally, linguistically, religiously, economically, historically etc., they are not Africans. It is the reason I laugh when "unfortunate Africans" like dem Mauritanians, Sudanese align themselves with Arabs. As a black person outside Europe and North America, you are categorised as an African until you show your passport.

When you are outside Africa as a black person, go and say Hi to the Egyptian because he is African. grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Gerrard59(m): 5:36am On Apr 26, 2023
Ken4Christ:

I think countries colonized by the French are far better than those colonized by Britain.

The British people are so self centered. They are also exploitative.

They handed over the country to corrupt politicians who are still controlling things.

We will get there when we have the right leaders at the top.

That is not true anywhere in the world. Being colonised by the French is synonymous with poverty. Check Asia, Africa and South America - Anglophone countries prosper. The English language is the greatest gift offered by the British to all her colonies.

5 Likes

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Gerrard59(m): 5:44am On Apr 26, 2023
miketayo:

Jobs for Locals or foreigners? they have jobs, our unemployment rate is way above theirs.
There is a no way Nigeria is better than Namibia.. they have good roads, extremely clean cities, cheaper food, a stronger currency and passport.

See, I am one of the persons that has lampooned Nigeria on Nairaland countless times. But when it comes to cold hard facts with numbers, only South Africa can be compared to Nigeria economically. Namibia is a good place to live a safe and quiet life, not to make money. Most migrants are economic in nature, not leisure. There are literally no menial jobs to do there because the locals have not see them. There are Cameroonians working in factories in Japan earning close to 5K dollars equivalent per month, something most Cameroonians cannot get.

4 Likes

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by miketayo(m): 5:46am On Apr 26, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

So this is your so called data. Have you been to Namibia before? I was there 2014 for a month, and it doesn't look like an African country one bit.
My elder bro is a lecture at the uni of Namibia.
Botswana and Mauritius is another beautiful country.
Because they didn't give you job doesn't mean their isn't job for their citizens.
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by miketayo(m): 5:50am On Apr 26, 2023
Gerrard59:

See, I am one of the persons that has lampooned Nigeria on Nairaland countless times. But when it comes to cold hard facts with numbers, only South Africa can be compared to Nigeria economically. Namibia is a good place to live a safe and quiet life, not to make money. Most migrants are economic in nature, not leisure. There are literally no menial jobs to do there because the locals have not see them. There are Cameroonians working in factories in Japan earning close to 5K dollars equivalent per month, something most Cameroonians cannot get.

Why are we always looking for jobs in another Man's country .
Our unemployment rate is higher than Namibia. They might not be extremely rich like the 5% of Nigeria but majority aren't living in poverty like we are in Nigeria.
Tell me how Nigeria is better?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Huge Rock In Saudi Arabia Looks Like It Was Cut In Half With Laser Beam(Pics) / Twitter War: Nigeria Vs Kenya (Photos) / Lagos Passenger Sleeping Refused To Wake Up After Reaching Last Bus Stop (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.