Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,295 members, 7,822,459 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:31 AM

What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? (72787 Views)

How Desperate Nigerians Seeking Asylum, Usually Lie To America & Other Countries / Africa Countries That Started And Completed Their Rail Mass Transit After Lagos / 6 Common Things We Do That Cause Accident While Driving (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Umegoejiofor(m): 11:52am On Apr 26, 2023
Antell95:
Uyo. Any good laptop to learn programming below 100k. Atleast 4gb ram. 2.50ghz dual processor minimum.
if you are serious,I get costumer for uyo town.i can send the laptop their and pay when you receive the laptop.
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Antell95(m): 12:02pm On Apr 26, 2023
Umegoejiofor:
if you are serious,I get costumer for uyo town.i can send the laptop their and pay when you receive the laptop.
HOW MUCH
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Umegoejiofor(m): 12:22pm On Apr 26, 2023
Antell95:
How much
give me 90k with the adaptor
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Antell95(m): 12:26pm On Apr 26, 2023
Umegoejiofor:
give me 90k with the adaptor
please make it 80k. i have just 30k but Lord Mesmer and Arrogantbro will balance 50k for me
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Umegoejiofor(m): 12:39pm On Apr 26, 2023
zolajpower:

You need to warn him that all the short changing Nigerians here in computer village like selling fufu laptop and phones re not welcome .
Tell am sey their genderm no dey play . Your story looks very sweet to him thereby having other plans to unleashing fake laptop on their citizens. All those french countries police don't joke oo.
lolz, you dey funny.why I go sell fufu as laptop.something I dey import.na tout dey play that runs
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Umegoejiofor(m): 12:39pm On Apr 26, 2023
Antell95:
please make it 80k. i have just 30k but Lord Mesmer and Arrogantbro will balance 50k for me
I no understand
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Ud1988(m): 12:48pm On Apr 26, 2023
I want to start a life in ivory coast,I have my international passport, please are the procedure and the things needed
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by somehow: 1:03pm On Apr 26, 2023
sonature1:

There's a systemic ploy by devilish Nigerians to keep Nigeria grounded in our lifetime. Those who wish to flee can while the rest who don't have a problem with the contraption can stay back and enjoy it.

So how do you keep Nigeria from being grounded if everyone with abilities relocate?

If you truly wish Nigeria well, you would not have posed the above.

1 Like

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by somehow: 1:07pm On Apr 26, 2023
DrAkpamudehe:

It is easier to get American visa than getting Angolan visa. The country is heaven on earth

Angola is not meant for strugglers or those seeking greener pastures.

Everything is expensive there.
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by somehow: 1:08pm On Apr 26, 2023
InvertedHammer:
/
People will start dusting their bags to relocate to Ivory Coast. The goal and aspiration of Nigerians is to find a nice place to migrate and scatter like they tried in SA, China, Malaysia and Dubai.

/

You got it.

Always looking for ready-made country to go scatter like they're doing at home.

1 Like

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Ken4Christ: 1:21pm On Apr 26, 2023
aboyaji:

Hotel bills depends on the standard. 5k and above.

Self con is still dependent on standard. Rural area 30 to 35k per month.

French is their native language. You can find a few people who speak English, mostly foreigners like Nigerians and Co.

What about the urban areas? Do they accept monthly payments for the house rent?
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by sixtus3606(m): 1:27pm On Apr 26, 2023
aboyaji:
I'll go first...

1. Cooking gas: Cooking gas is very cheap in ivory Coast. It costs an average of #330/kg of gas. So refilling a 12.5 kg cylinder should cost you #4125 at most.

2. Kerosene: kerosene costs relatively about #650/ litre in the fuel station, where the black market sells for #800/ litre.

Note : This country's oil production is very poor o. They're not even anywhere close to Naija's production.

3. Organisation: Ivory coast is very well organized that you can barely run into unorganized environment. Many areas are safely guarded by their local police officers stationed almost everywhere. You can as well make friends with the officers easily without any form of threat from them. They're very welcoming.

4. Very low violent place: People can move around as late as 10pm till dawn without the fear of harassment or violence. In fact, children play in the tarred road as late as 10pm. They have already come to terms about how safe they are in the country. People can stay up late wherever they went to without rushing back home due to nightfall. Night movements was my best !

5. Good Road network: I spent close to 7 months in ivory Coast and could barely see a road untarred. Almost every road I used was smoothly done and stretched to various cities and States. The only place my leg touched Sandy soil was in my compound because the landlord was still constructing more buildings in the site. So our compound was sandy at the moment.
Tarred road stretched into all compounds in ivory Coast. It's not the responsibility of the government to do your compound, it's yours. I was marvelled by such development though I spent most of my time in the rural area.

6. Security: Police is your friend is the Moto in ivory Coast. Really nice people. I guess I've said it somewhere before now.

6a. Theft is ALMOST uncertainty. The prepaid meter of every individual house is stationed outside the main building without burglary or iron shield. Anybody can touch it. It wasn't even stationed very high from the ground level. It went only as far as 3-4 feets high. A child of 10 can touch it too.

Our apartment is in a 2 storey building comprising of almost 33 units of one bedroom apartments. The building was built like a shopping complex. All of the prepaid meters used in this apartments are stationed outside where everyone can see and feel it. But no one steals it, likewise every other houses there.

6b. Once there was a particular theft in my ivorian friend's shop that I know of. There were 5 boys who was involved in burgling his computer and phone shop one night. But before 5am, the boys were all caught with the complete stolen items retrieved. Funny enough, my friend didn't know. He was woken up by the police to come to his shop and see the guys. And he didn't have to SETTLE THE POLICE FOR DOING THEIR JOBS grin.

7. There is constant electricity in that country. CONSTANT.
I only observed a few nightouts and those periods were understandable. They all know when the lights would go off in the week or month and have come to terms with it. Light doesn't go off intermittently as obtained in Nigeria. And throughout my stay there, I didn't pay for light bill or water. My caretaker didn't mention it to me too. I was surprised. Steady light cheesy

8. Economy: Their economy is very good. It's almost equaling to the Naira at the time I left. So, if you hear 500 CFA there, it's almost equivalent to 500 Naira. So don't do too much calculation.

8a. Minimum wage is very much respected and applied. A POS attendant over their is living a good standard life. A bar attendant earns about 20,000 CFA weekly... WEEKLY o. I mean a local bar attendant. How much more a corporate hotel or bar attendant or waiter.

8b. The money you earn can fetch you a standard living. Their money is easily made and spent too.

9. FOOD grin grin grin: Our area of specialty.

Food is over cheap compared to what's obtained in Naija. You can see someone who earns little but could afford chicken or any frozen food. Food is not part of their problems for now. Banana can go as low as 50 CFA or 50 Naira and it is not the small quantity we're talking about.

A bunch of Bananas that you can get from a roadside vendor in Naija for 800 could be gotten for 150 CFA. So you see it. Once I bought 2 Bunches of banana for 50 each, I couldn't finish them for 3 days.

9a. So sorry, vegetables can be scarcely found there my dear. I made most of my soup without vegetables. That part I didn't enjoy undecided

That's for now. Anybody can add.

Will it be advisable to tracel to Ivory Coast this period....I mean; relocate?

1 Like

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Supersymetry: 1:45pm On Apr 26, 2023
iLoveYouToo:
Things in Nigeria are expensive because there are little to no proper price control mechanisms. Cartels just fix whatever price they want and the consumers can either pay or fvck off.

There are cartels everywhere in the name of ‘unions’ - fish sellers, meat sellers, beef sellers, vegetable sellers etc. All sorts of unions exist

In some markets, no commodity has a fixed acceptable price, they just tell you an amount and expect you to bargain, MADNESS

Economic principles are dead to the Nigerian market

Exactly, like the period of estimated electricity bill, many Nigerians are naturally evil, the major factor hindering the progress of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Jyraff(m): 2:04pm On Apr 26, 2023
But in the Airport... some ladies can be very smart with transport fare...
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Babastrong(m): 2:08pm On Apr 26, 2023
OP, Please Guide me on how to visit or relocate to Ivory coast.
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Holywizard: 2:33pm On Apr 26, 2023
Psady:
in Liberia it's their best vegetable,I remember always taunting them that back in Nigeria only goats eat such.i did eat it ,and it was good with their dry rice .
hahahah. They used to grind it by using manual grinding machine.

I don't know why they don't eat ugu leaf

1 Like

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Ayt27(m): 3:16pm On Apr 26, 2023
DearGorgeous:
@Op - How much do I need to travel for let's say, three (3) weeks vacation to Ivory Coast? I was considering the Gambia initially, but it's like I already have a change of mind.

Let's go together
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Psady(m): 3:35pm On Apr 26, 2023
Holywizard:
hahahah. They used to grind it by using manual grinding machine.

I don't know why they don't eat ugu leaf
yes very true,I use to wonder what they keep grinding that's so greenish ,until a day I stood and watch them keenly that it was cassava leaves,so much that u wonder when they will finish grinding it all,though they use the normal engine grinding machine over there.Thr ugwu is mostly sold by Nigerians though a bit expensive in Liberia,u can also find our normal green(efo) over there ,they have in abundance too but they see it as a lesser value compared to cassava leaf.
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Holywizard: 3:51pm On Apr 26, 2023
Psady:
yes very true,I use to wonder what they keep grinding that's so greenish ,until a day I stood and watch them keenly that it was cassava leaves,so much that u wonder when they will finish grinding it all,though they use the normal engine grinding machine over there.Thr ugwu is mostly sold by Nigerians though a bit expensive in Liberia,u can also find our normal green(efo) over there ,they have in abundance too but they see it as a lesser value compared to cassava leaf.
when I first arrived at Abidjan, I used to eat their other stew before I was forced to eat the cassava leaf stew.
I told the woman to dish the oil for me.

Sometimes our trash can be another man's treasure

2 Likes

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Shedking(m): 3:58pm On Apr 26, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
LoL ivory coast. The same one I know. Continue to cap. As horrible as Nigeria is, the only African country better than Nigeria is south Africa.

Côte d’Ivoire; Zimbabwe; Tanzania; Senegal; Namibia; Ghana; Egypt; Kenya; Botswana; Tunisia; Morocco and Republic of South Africa are more advanced than Nigeria when it comes to Electricity, Education, Infrastructure, Government, Sport, tourism and hospitality etc. Go do your research
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by yom2(m): 5:09pm On Apr 26, 2023
aboyaji:

They do. What I mean is that I couldn't find our native vegetables there. It could be found in their supermarkets, though, I don't know. But I resided in the rural area. Village. I couldn't see any to make my food.
hmm
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Nonywendy(m): 5:18pm On Apr 26, 2023
aboyaji:
She only said going. Not returning.
going to enjoy shld include returning cos she is not going to live there
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Coolgent(m): 8:18pm On Apr 26, 2023
aboyaji:
I'll go first...

1. Cooking gas: Cooking gas is very cheap in ivory Coast. It costs an average of #330/kg of gas. So refilling a 12.5 kg cylinder should cost you #4125 at most.

2. Kerosene: kerosene costs relatively about #650/ litre in the fuel station, where the black market sells for #800/ litre.

Note : This country's oil production is very poor o. They're not even anywhere close to Naija's production.

3. Organisation: Ivory coast is very well organized that you can barely run into unorganized environment. Many areas are safely guarded by their local police officers stationed almost everywhere. You can as well make friends with the officers easily without any form of threat from them. They're very welcoming.

4. Very low violent place: People can move around as late as 10pm till dawn without the fear of harassment or violence. In fact, children play in the tarred road as late as 10pm. They have already come to terms about how safe they are in the country. People can stay up late wherever they went to without rushing back home due to nightfall. Night movements was my best !

5. Good Road network: I spent close to 7 months in ivory Coast and could barely see a road untarred. Almost every road I used was smoothly done and stretched to various cities and States. The only place my leg touched Sandy soil was in my compound because the landlord was still constructing more buildings in the site. So our compound was sandy at the moment.
Tarred road stretched into all compounds in ivory Coast. It's not the responsibility of the government to do your compound, it's yours. I was marvelled by such development though I spent most of my time in the rural area.

6. Security: Police is your friend is the Moto in ivory Coast. Really nice people. I guess I've said it somewhere before now.

6a. Theft is ALMOST uncertainty. The prepaid meter of every individual house is stationed outside the main building without burglary or iron shield. Anybody can touch it. It wasn't even stationed very high from the ground level. It went only as far as 3-4 feets high. A child of 10 can touch it too.

Our apartment is in a 2 storey building comprising of almost 33 units of one bedroom apartments. The building was built like a shopping complex. All of the prepaid meters used in this apartments are stationed outside where everyone can see and feel it. But no one steals it, likewise every other houses there.

6b. Once there was a particular theft in my ivorian friend's shop that I know of. There were 5 boys who was involved in burgling his computer and phone shop one night. But before 5am, the boys were all caught with the complete stolen items retrieved. Funny enough, my friend didn't know. He was woken up by the police to come to his shop and see the guys. And he didn't have to SETTLE THE POLICE FOR DOING THEIR JOBS grin.

7. There is constant electricity in that country. CONSTANT.
I only observed a few nightouts and those periods were understandable. They all know when the lights would go off in the week or month and have come to terms with it. Light doesn't go off intermittently as obtained in Nigeria. And throughout my stay there, I didn't pay for light bill or water. My caretaker didn't mention it to me too. I was surprised. Steady light cheesy

8. Economy: Their economy is very good. It's almost equaling to the Naira at the time I left. So, if you hear 500 CFA there, it's almost equivalent to 500 Naira. So don't do too much calculation.

8a. Minimum wage is very much respected and applied. A POS attendant over their is living a good standard life. A bar attendant earns about 20,000 CFA weekly... WEEKLY o. I mean a local bar attendant. How much more a corporate hotel or bar attendant or waiter.

8b. The money you earn can fetch you a standard living. Their money is easily made and spent too.

9. FOOD grin grin grin: Our area of specialty.

Food is over cheap compared to what's obtained in Naija. You can see someone who earns little but could afford chicken or any frozen food. Food is not part of their problems for now. Banana can go as low as 50 CFA or 50 Naira and it is not the small quantity we're talking about.

A bunch of Bananas that you can get from a roadside vendor in Naija for 800 could be gotten for 150 CFA. So you see it. Once I bought 2 Bunches of banana for 50 each, I couldn't finish them for 3 days.

9a. So sorry, vegetables can be scarcely found there my dear. I made most of my soup without vegetables. That part I didn't enjoy undecided

That's for now. Anybody can add.
Thanks for this info.
I am into real estate...
Hiw much do you think will buy 3 bedroom house, and what's the monthly rent?
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by aboyaji(m): 8:30pm On Apr 26, 2023
Ken4Christ:

What about the urban areas? Do they accept monthly payments for the house rent?

Yes, everywhere.
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Ken4Christ: 8:55pm On Apr 26, 2023
aboyaji:

Yes, everywhere.

I am so sorry to bother you with too many questions. Are the rate the same for both the urban and rural areas? If not, what is the difference?
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by aboyaji(m): 9:15pm On Apr 26, 2023
Ken4Christ:

I am so sorry to bother you with too many questions. Are the rate the same for both the urban and rural areas? If not, what is the difference?

One bedroom apartment in the rural area can go as high as 40k.

60k and above in the city.

1 Like

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by pansophist(m): 9:25pm On Apr 26, 2023
Mehn, you can go for months without talking to a single soul if you don't want to. That is the biggest shock in Finland.

In the bus station, people stay at least ten meters apart, and when you enter the bus, the driver won't even look at your face, you just scan your ticket through your transport card, mobile app, or atm and you are in. Getting off? then press the button behind you to notify the driver to stop, and you get out.

In the supermarket and done shopping? then use the self-checkout. Bought something online? Pick it up at your nearest pickup station with a code sent to you. Wanna talk to a stranger? they will hesitate to talk to you and wonder if you are mad.

Need cash? Use ATM. Want to deposit cash? Use ATM. Want to open a bank account? Do it online, you don't have to visit the bank for that. They will send your atm to your house. Want to renew your residence permit? Do it online, the card will be sent to your address.

Your neighbor will even watch through the window to make sure no one is in the hallway before going out because he/he shy, socially awkward, and does not want to talk to you. Have nothing to do with racism.

In KFC restaurant? Then buy via the mobile kiosk, pay with your card, go sit down and someone will bring it to your table. Of course, you can talk to people if you want, but you can do away with conversations if you don't want to, and the system is structured in a way that accommodates complete silent.

16 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:30pm On Apr 26, 2023
pansophist:
Mehn, you can go for months without talking to a single soul if you don't want to. That is the biggest shock in Finland.

In the bus station, people stay at least ten meters apart, and when you enter the bus, the driver won't even look at your face, you just scan your ticket through your transport card, mobile app, or atm and you are in. Getting off? then press the button behind you to notify the driver to stop, and you get out.

In the supermarket and done shopping? then use the self-checkout. Bought something online? Pick it up at your nearest pickup station with a code sent to you. Wanna talk to a stranger? they will hesitate to talk to you and wonder if you are mad.

Need cash? Use ATM. Want to deposit cash? Use ATM. Want to open a bank account? Do it online, you don't have to visit the bank for that. They will send your atm to your house. Want to renew your residence permit? Do it online, the card will be sent to your address.

Your neighbor will even watch through the window to make sure no one is in the hallway before going out because he/he shy, socially awkward, and does not want to talk to you. Have nothing to do with racism.

In KFC restaurant? Then buy via the mobile kiosk, pay with your card, go sit down and someone will bring it to your table. Of course, you can talk to people if you want, but you can do away with conversations if you don't want to, and the system is structured in a way that accommodates complete silent.

Nna men cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by McGeorge1(m): 9:31pm On Apr 26, 2023
Please how can I get there? How much will it cost? What are the processes of japaring to this Ivory Coast? Pls someone should help.
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by pansophist(m): 9:42pm On Apr 26, 2023
McGeorge1:
Please how can I get there? How much will it cost? What are the processes of japaring to this Ivory Coast? Pls someone should help.

By bus, roughy 50k max, with refreshments even if you know how to go in a ´cut and join´ manner. Take a bus to the border, then another bus to Aflao, then from Aflao to Accra, then from Accra to the border Takoradi, then from Takoradi to the border, then from Border to Abidjan. Or if you take a direct bus, then it's a full day, as in, 24 hours trip even at night.

1 Like

Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by Ken4Christ: 10:50pm On Apr 26, 2023
aboyaji:

One bedroom apartment in the rural area can go as high as 40k.

60k and above in the city.

I mean a self contained. It seems accommodation is more expensive there. But I think the minimum wage should be far better.
Re: What Common Things Surprised You In Other Countries that is lacking in Nigeria? by DearGorgeous(f): 10:58pm On Apr 26, 2023
davywillis:

Ivory Coast is a very sweet place to be and most of what the OP said are true. If you want to visit and enjoy Ivory Coast, you will enjoy doing that travelling by road which will cost approximately #200k naira (Allez et Retour) as the current exchange is about #1,178.00 to 1000 Fcfa, which means the Fcfa is presently superior to the naira. When I say travel by road, is to make you gain some experiences you can always refer to, and you can make references about some other countries like Benin , Togo, and Ghana. The longest distance between Nigeria and Cote d'ivoire is Ghana, if not you can arrive same day. The journey is about 18hrs. You can book your travel ticket from Young shall grow office in Mile 2 Lagos. You don't need a passport compulsorily, but a Nigeria national ID card will suffice. Hotels are not cheap here, but you can get very good ones for 15 to 20k FCFA.

Thanks a lot for your helpful input. I will plan towards visiting the two countries. Hope they have good cuisine, cos I'm damned too choosy when it comes to food. Help me God!

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Huge Rock In Saudi Arabia Looks Like It Was Cut In Half With Laser Beam(Pics) / Twitter War: Nigeria Vs Kenya (Photos) / Lagos Passenger Sleeping Refused To Wake Up After Reaching Last Bus Stop (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.