Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,074 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:30 AM

Re-installed Os. . . Can Files Still Be Recovered ? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Re-installed Os. . . Can Files Still Be Recovered ? (774 Views)

Your Important Files Can Now Be Recovered / Installed Windows Xp Sp2 Has No Sound / Deleted Files On A PC: Where Do They Go? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re-installed Os. . . Can Files Still Be Recovered ? by RuuDie(m): 11:19am On Sep 04, 2007
Just re-installed Windows on a failed HDisk. . . . . i didn't format or partition the HDisk, just installed a fresh copy of Windows Xp but i can't access the old Word/Excel/Powerpoint files that were on the HDisk. . . . .

why is this ? is it possible for me to still retrieve 'em. . . . . or are they lost 4 good ? pls i need ur help!
Re: Re-installed Os. . . Can Files Still Be Recovered ? by nbeet2000(m): 11:29am On Sep 04, 2007
reinstall office
Re: Re-installed Os. . . Can Files Still Be Recovered ? by RuuDie(m): 11:42am On Sep 04, 2007
nbeet2000:

reinstall office

maybe my initial post was a little vague. . . . what i meant was i can't see the files at all. thought when u install a fresh copy of an OS over another without formating the HDisk, the word/excel files on it would still be visible even if Office ain't installed yet. . . .
Re: Re-installed Os. . . Can Files Still Be Recovered ? by Maleeq(m): 11:50am On Sep 04, 2007
Failed Hard disk? What error(s) did you get before you tagged it failed?
Provide this information so that I can narrow down the possibilities.
Re: Re-installed Os. . . Can Files Still Be Recovered ? by RuuDie(m): 12:00pm On Sep 04, 2007
Maleeq:

Failed Hard disk? What error(s) did you get before you tagged it failed?
Provide this information so that I can narrow down the possibilities.

can't remember the exact message, but it was always telling me to press ctrl+alt+del to restart. . . . never boots beyond that black screen where the message is displayed!
Re: Re-installed Os. . . Can Files Still Be Recovered ? by Maleeq(m): 3:37pm On Sep 04, 2007
Well, there are a lot of possible casues here. Some times, Hard disks have their MBRs, MFTs or partition/LDM corrupted. From the aforementioned, only the MBR corruption does not tamper with the file indices. The others may results in files getting their index deleted. When this happens, Windows installation would not see those files. . . but in reality, they still exist provided YOU HAVE NOT OVERWRITTEN THE SECTORS WHERE THEY ARE LOCATED.

My advice is that. when you have a faulty HDD with files you still want to recover, take it out and connect it as a secondary drive on another system. There are a thousand and one disk utilies that can recover your files.

Of all these utilities, my fav is HIREN 9.0. It has a sub program, GetDataBackFAT / GetDataBackNTFS. These perform a sector scan on the entire disk and identify files that are still intact/recoverable even though they are not one the MFT table!. But it is paramount that you dont wrtie new data to the disc before the recovery.

Download the HIREN boot cd and then I'll proceed with the recovery procedure.
Re: Re-installed Os. . . Can Files Still Be Recovered ? by RuuDie(m): 4:00pm On Sep 04, 2007
so you're saying i can never get those files back again ?
Re: Re-installed Os. . . Can Files Still Be Recovered ? by Maleeq(m): 4:26pm On Sep 04, 2007
Not exactly. I said "it depends on what you have written onto the disk before your run the recovery procedure"
When you delete a file, it's the index to the file that is deleted and not the actully data that make up the file. So, the OS marks that space as free until you write over it with another data. That way, you can never get the previous file back, for ever!

Run the Hiren tool, you'll get a list of files that you can salvage. But I ddoubt you getting much, because you've already re-installed the OS : enough writes has been made to the disk already. The probabbility that you have over written the data you want to get back is high.!

Dont give up, give it a try 1st.
Re: Re-installed Os. . . Can Files Still Be Recovered ? by RuuDie(m): 4:52pm On Sep 04, 2007
pls' run me thru d procedures 4 using the Hiren programme. . . . bet i won't have to master-slave the HDisk again ab ?
Re: Re-installed Os. . . Can Files Still Be Recovered ? by RuuDie(m): 4:59pm On Sep 04, 2007
where can i download this HIREN from . . . .
Re: Re-installed Os. . . Can Files Still Be Recovered ? by Maleeq(m): 5:18pm On Sep 04, 2007
Let me upload the file. I'll post the link here when I am done.
Re: Re-installed Os. . . Can Files Still Be Recovered ? by RuuDie(m): 5:25pm On Sep 04, 2007
Maleeq:

Let me upload the file. I'll post the link here when I am done.

geez. . . . thanx bro! how long is it g'onna take to download on a very weak network connexion of 2.0mbps ?
Re: Re-installed Os. . . Can Files Still Be Recovered ? by Maleeq(m): 5:35pm On Sep 04, 2007
2Mbps shocked
Are you in Naija? Cos the link speed is way out of everyday user's speed league around here. At that speed, you'll get in in less than 10minutes. Its about 75Mb.
I am uploading it to rapidshare. Once it's done, it'll be posted here.
Re: Re-installed Os. . . Can Files Still Be Recovered ? by RuuDie(m): 5:41pm On Sep 04, 2007
grin grin

thanx man. . . . but g'otta log out now and hit the road. hope i'm not g'onna need any passwords or stuff to download it - i've seen various links that lead me to rapidshare already and got no change!
can i still get it 2moro if u upload it now ?

thanx aplenty man!
Re: Re-installed Os. . . Can Files Still Be Recovered ? by Maleeq(m): 1:27pm On Sep 05, 2007
Here are the links. Remember, you have to download all the parts before you can extract the file.

Now, the file is in *.iso format (an image file) so you'll need to burn it onto a CD or load it into a virtual CD (Nero, Daemon Tools etc).
Once you done this, just click on the "GetDataBackNTFS" or "GetDataBackFAT" depending on the format the drive was.

Hiren Boot CD Part 1
Hiren Boot CD Part 2
Hiren Boot CD Part 3
Hiren Boot CD Part 4
Hiren Boot CD Part 5

Let me know if you need any more information.

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Place To Do My It. / How To Corect The "ntldr Missing" Error / Memory Size Error (help)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.