Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,673 members, 7,823,899 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:49 PM

VP’s Lodge Project Stalled After Gulping ₦6 Billion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / VP’s Lodge Project Stalled After Gulping ₦6 Billion (20782 Views)

Salihu Lukman: How Fani-Kayode’s Defection To APC Was Stalled / State House Clinic ‘Unfit’ To Treat Abba Kyari, Despite Gulping 13bn In 5 Years / Gov. Wike Inspects Judges Lodge Project In Rivers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

VP’s Lodge Project Stalled After Gulping ₦6 Billion by dre11(m): 11:06am On Apr 30, 2023
The construction of the vice president’s lodge in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja, has been ongoing for over 10 years. And there has not been any sign of fresh work on the site since 2013, Daily Trust on Sunday reports.

Our reporter also gathered that not less than N6billion has already been spent on the edifice, which the incumbent Vice President Yemi Osinbajo once described as a “misapplication of fund.

Concerned observers said the government should complete the project and convert it to chalets for hosting visiting presidents and other very important personalities to save the cost.

Our reporter who visited the site observed that work had reached an advanced stage before it was stopped.

It was observed that the abandoned residential building and other structures with air-conditioning systems have grown weeds, while reptiles move freely within the large expanse of land still being protected by few security personnel in a fortified area of the Three Arms Zone in the capital city.

Julius Berger Nigeria Plc is the construction company handling the project, located in a very serene environment.

Vice President Osinbajo had in 2016 said the project would not be abandoned despite being a waste of resources.

Osinbajo, who said the N6bn already spent on the project was a misapplication of fund, added that with the level of construction already done, it would be completed and considered for other use.

There is no need for a new residence for the vice president as the current one, called Aguda House, is up to standard, with enough space and well managed.

A new house for the vice president is a kind of waste. But we are now in a situation where we cannot abandon it, so it has to be completed and used for a different thing,” the vice president was quoted to have said in February 2016 while responding to questions at the Pastors and Leaders Retreat of the Fountain of Life Church, Ilupeju, Lagos.

The Federal Capital Development Authority (FCDA) reportedly abandoned the project after the refusal of the 7th Senate to accept the increase of the contract sum by N9bn.

A former minister of the FCT, who is currently the governor of Bauchi State, Senator Bala Mohammed, was said to have brought a request for an additional N9bn to complete the project in 2012, while the edifice was awarded in 2009 at N7bn.

The request was greeted with condemnation when the variation was expected to accommodate a helipad.

The then executive secretary of the FCDA, Adamu Ismail, was quoted to have told the Senate Committee on FCT that the proposed additional N9bn was slashed to N6bn by the Bureau for Public Procurement (BPP).

Ismail had said the variation was meant to provide furniture, fencing, two additional protocol guest houses, a banquet hall and security gadgets.

However, the then Senate Committee on FCT, led by Senator Smart Adeyemi, turned down the request for the variation, which was more than 100 per cent.

Adeyemi said either N13bn, N14bn or N16bn for the project was “indefensible.”

The Federal Capital Development Authority was created by Decree 6 of 1976, with responsibilities of planning, development and administration of the Federal Capital City and the Federal Capital Territory as a whole.

We’ll complete it – FCDA

When contacted for reaction, the head of the Department of Public Relations and Information, FCDA, Richard Nduul, said they were desirous of completing the edifice. He, however, said the project was currently undergoing a review.

He also said, “On the suggestion that it could be used for another purpose, the decision will be that of the presidency at the appropriate time, while the FCDA implements accordingly.”

CSOs offer advice

Tunde Salman, the convener, Good Governance Team (GGT) Nigeria, advised that the building be completed and set aside as guest house for visiting heads of state instead of spending money in five-star hotels in Abuja.

He, however, called on the government to give priority attention to low-cost housing estates for the masses instead of caring for the politically exposed persons alone.

Salman said, “My advice is that government should give priority to housing estates for the masses instead of caring for the political elite. They should support mass housing.

“However, if they want to go ahead, it can be completed and set aside as a guest house.”

The chairman, Human and Environmental Development Agenda (HEDA Resource Centre), Suraj Olanrewaju, demanded an investigation into the project.

He said, “It is important to demand the investigation of the allocation and execution of resources for the purposes of building the vice presidential quarters. Certainly, there was no pressing or fundamental need for such construction and waste of public resources, considering that the vice president currently occupies a befitting accommodation within the Presidential Villa. Politicians and civil servants are into projects for the kickbacks and other benefits than public interest.

“The FCDA and FCT ministers should be queried and investigated by the National Assembly, and where abuse of office or diversion of funds is suspected or established, anti-corruption agencies should be invited for detailed investigation and prosecution.”

https://dailytrust.com/vps-lodge-project-stalled-after-gulping-billions-of-naira/

1 Like

Re: VP’s Lodge Project Stalled After Gulping ₦6 Billion by maleekberry: 11:12am On Apr 30, 2023
I pity this country undecided
Let the politicians continue with the senseless looting of the treasury. A time will come when there will be nothing left to steal and that's when the real revolution will start.

Just imagine with all the budgetary allocations, state House clinic doesn't have drugs, vp Lodge gulping billions upon billion and its still not ready smh for our leaders.

67 Likes 1 Share

Re: VP’s Lodge Project Stalled After Gulping ₦6 Billion by donbachi(m): 11:21am On Apr 30, 2023
If you're 22 today,8years time you will turn 30.
Your dream of owning a mansion, marrying at 25, traveling all over the world at 27, driving lambo, Ferrari and Bugatti... will all be shattered.
Do you know why?
You destroyed your future today with your own hands.

127 Likes 10 Shares

Re: VP’s Lodge Project Stalled After Gulping ₦6 Billion by TheRareGem1(f): 11:33am On Apr 30, 2023
Fcda....what is the update. What has made the project to be stalled till this moment

1 Like 1 Share

Re: VP’s Lodge Project Stalled After Gulping ₦6 Billion by Mitchy49(m): 11:39am On Apr 30, 2023
Nigeria is sorry state with these crop of thieves called politicians

10 Likes

Re: VP’s Lodge Project Stalled After Gulping ₦6 Billion by Caramia2020(m): 11:47am On Apr 30, 2023
I'm to read comments.
Re: VP’s Lodge Project Stalled After Gulping ₦6 Billion by babaRUNtinz(m): 2:49pm On Apr 30, 2023
Na so ẹ dey for drawing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: VP’s Lodge Project Stalled After Gulping ₦6 Billion by Funkyswagzz(m): 2:50pm On Apr 30, 2023
This is what apc miscreants have endorsed we go still suffer for another 8yrs

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: VP’s Lodge Project Stalled After Gulping ₦6 Billion by turmacs(f): 2:50pm On Apr 30, 2023
Re: VP’s Lodge Project Stalled After Gulping ₦6 Billion by hakym619(m): 2:51pm On Apr 30, 2023
Tinubu to change things.
Can't wait . cool

7 Likes

Re: VP’s Lodge Project Stalled After Gulping ₦6 Billion by SMJay: 2:54pm On Apr 30, 2023
cry
Re: VP’s Lodge Project Stalled After Gulping ₦6 Billion by money121(m): 2:54pm On Apr 30, 2023
Ok
Re: VP’s Lodge Project Stalled After Gulping ₦6 Billion by helinues: 2:55pm On Apr 30, 2023
Chai, money enter bush

2 Likes

Re: VP’s Lodge Project Stalled After Gulping ₦6 Billion by erai30(m): 2:56pm On Apr 30, 2023
ONE DAY THERE WILL BE NO OTHER OPTION, BUT REVOLUTION.

6 Likes

Re: VP’s Lodge Project Stalled After Gulping ₦6 Billion by kingphilip(m): 2:57pm On Apr 30, 2023
Building wey don take 10 years wey de forget am.

I'm sure to complete that project now, they will quote additional 50-100 billion to do so.

We really need the right leaders to put this country aright.

11 Likes

Re: VP’s Lodge Project Stalled After Gulping ₦6 Billion by Andyblaze: 2:57pm On Apr 30, 2023
I will complete it
Re: VP’s Lodge Project Stalled After Gulping ₦6 Billion by Bahamas95(m): 2:58pm On Apr 30, 2023
If I say what's on my mind now the mumu mod that's always banning me will do what he/she knows how to do best........Mad people everywhere!

Keep supporting these blood sucking demons that have destroyed the country. Nigerians don't have freedom of speech anymore, if you don't like someone's comment the next thing you think of is ban.

Awòn werey!

7 Likes

Re: VP’s Lodge Project Stalled After Gulping ₦6 Billion by Angelfrost(m): 3:00pm On Apr 30, 2023
Everything is a cash cow for Nigerian politicians!

Nigeria can never make progress till corruption is eliminated!

3 Likes

Re: VP’s Lodge Project Stalled After Gulping ₦6 Billion by chukkydee(m): 3:01pm On Apr 30, 2023
Man inhumanity to man.... Which way, African leaders.

Another N10Billion will be budgeted for the completion.

Wastage and poor use of the nation's resources as always.

When will Nigeria and Africa get it right?

2 Likes

Re: VP’s Lodge Project Stalled After Gulping ₦6 Billion by gannod(m): 3:02pm On Apr 30, 2023
grin grin grin Orisirisi.
Re: VP’s Lodge Project Stalled After Gulping ₦6 Billion by Leebeedo(m): 3:06pm On Apr 30, 2023
By the time tinubu gets sworn in, his first mission would be to recoup the money he spent bribing officials for his electoral "victory". Afterwards, he will focus on his health - hip replacement, kidney, liver, heart transplants and all that good stuff. Then he'll start looking young again like buhari at the moment . Lastly, he'll secure generational wealth for himself and his cronies and leave the average nigerian youth and populace in limbo. I pity all of una!

15 Likes

Re: VP’s Lodge Project Stalled After Gulping ₦6 Billion by 1950Mack: 3:06pm On Apr 30, 2023
grin just 6billion... small money... una never spend reach 100billion in 30years... radarada... abeg shey d work still dey make I kon chop my own share.... I have about 7 tippers and access to 3 quarries both in Ogun state and Abuja... if una need more granite call me... if una need more construction experts I full ground too... we go gather chop this country together... emuse wao grin

Re: VP’s Lodge Project Stalled After Gulping ₦6 Billion by Menclothing: 3:07pm On Apr 30, 2023
Pdp started it and abandone it Apc no spend 1 kobo on it in Buhari regime

Tinubu finish and complete it

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: VP’s Lodge Project Stalled After Gulping ₦6 Billion by Nyceguy92: 3:07pm On Apr 30, 2023
Individuals build mansions in 2 years.

Even if the VP's house is intended to accommodate an entire village, there is no justification for the time and money so far expended.

So where have previous VPs been living?

2 Likes

Re: VP’s Lodge Project Stalled After Gulping ₦6 Billion by Zico5(m): 3:08pm On Apr 30, 2023
The question we should ask ourselves is; what's the usefulness of Osinbajo in this administration. If he cannot see to the completion of the personal lodge he and his family reside then someone should educate me the need for vice president.
Maybe he was there as a motivational speaker when all the government project is going on at his back. All he has been doing in this government is just to be given lectures on irrelevant things that add no values to the masses. A professor and SAN for that matter.

3 Likes

Re: VP’s Lodge Project Stalled After Gulping ₦6 Billion by wunmi590(m): 3:08pm On Apr 30, 2023

This are the type of wastage Peter obi is talking about and he want to curb if he becomes the president...

3 Likes

Re: VP’s Lodge Project Stalled After Gulping ₦6 Billion by Jesse6(m): 3:20pm On Apr 30, 2023
Omo I have been having bad feelings since I read this
donbachi:
If you're 22 today,8years time you will turn 30.
Your dream of owning a mansion, marrying at 25, traveling all over the world at 27, driving lambo, Ferrari and Bugatti... will all be shattered.
Do you know why?
You destroyed your future today with your own hands.

4 Likes

Re: VP’s Lodge Project Stalled After Gulping ₦6 Billion by zombieHUNTER: 3:22pm On Apr 30, 2023
Corruption resides in Nigeria

And that can never change...

And Nigeria will continue to house the world's poorest

Until we eshew Tribalism and religious bigotry in electing those that will pilot the affairs of this country..

As we speak, that are people on this forum, hungry and unemployed, defending APc , Buhari's administration all on the alter of religious affiliation and tribalism

And I say to Nigerians.. fasten your seatbelts..
The mother of all hardships is on the horizon.
Herdsmen and Bandits will run your villages..
many will beg for water to drink as hunger strikes.
Benin republic will be deport Nigerians..
Naira will be a tissue paper..
Many west African countries has steady power right now.. but not Nigeria, even in next 20 years.

I'm not a prophet of doom, as some of these events are already in motion..
Only shall we behold and see the reward of the wicked..

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Team Change: Before It Is Too Late - Japheth Omojuwa. / Saraki, Senators On A Condolence Visit To Ocholi's Family (Photos) / Discos, Gencos Bringing Shame To Govt – Fashola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.