Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,999 members, 7,835,370 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:19 AM

Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo (53013 Views)

The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Living In Lagos / Flood Ravages Imo, Orsu Obodo, Oguta. 60 Homes Submerged (photos) / The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo by Nobody: 5:49am On May 11, 2023
1stGenAmerican:

He hasn’t left the shores of Nigeria. Read through his post history and see his lies.

I do not need to lie. Why should I lie? for what- It is what it is.
You can read this article
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/02/22/opinion/saving-black-homes-lost-tax-inequity/
Re: Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo by Gerrard59(m): 5:53am On May 11, 2023
Mindlog:

Child support didn't finish his money. A woman does not have the final decision on how much she wants as child support, the legal system does by putting into consideration the age/ages of the child/children, financial circumstances of both father and mother, health status of the child/ children etc.

I work in the children social care sector here in the UK, so if a Nigerian man thinks he can father a child here in the UK and be least bothered about his child's welfare as some men do in Nigeria and "heaven will not fall", I will see to it that he is dragged by the system to provide what is the due to the child.

If you don't like it, keep away from heterosexual sexual encounters or be well protected

The problem is that these people tend to be so irresponsible and cannot fit in in a structured system. It is even good sef, as those who eventually relocate are people who understand what it means to reside in a place where things work.

4 Likes

Re: Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo by Gerrard59(m): 5:55am On May 11, 2023
1stGenAmerican:

He hasn’t left the shores of Nigeria. Read through his post history and see his lies.

Gbam! That is it. Another one has been caught. I hope Tinubu pays them so well as a means to spreading fearful/false information of living abroad, or else, they are really doing themselves bad by creating these kind of topics.

2 Likes

Re: Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo by Gerrard59(m): 5:56am On May 11, 2023
GodHimself:

Did you write this? It’s high detail. Thank you.

It is copy and paste. You can see how the write up is arranged.

1 Like

Re: Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo by Nobody: 6:00am On May 11, 2023
Gerrard59:

Gbam! That is it. Another one has been caught. I hope Tinubu pays them so well as a means to spreading fearful/false information of living abroad, or else, they are really doing themselves bad by creating these kind of topics.

Read to comprehend- It is very important. Read what I wrote earlier, I never said one should not Japa, if you want to Japa- please go ahead whom am I to stop anyone from coming abroad. I only states that those who are doing well in Nigeria do not really have to Japa
Re: Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo by Gerrard59(m): 6:00am On May 11, 2023
vickydevoka:

I know of someone that i working like mad man Bcus of 5 kids from different women

That is an irresponsible man. What happened to vasectomy? Condoms?

Foolish men should be held accountable by the state!

1 Like

Re: Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo by Nobody: 6:02am On May 11, 2023
Gerrard59:

What about those who were responsible and got up in child support system. Child support system has its advantage and disadvantage
Re: Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo by sonnie10: 6:04am On May 11, 2023
Ohraykon:
i agree but we all know who is responsible for that. Europe doesn't come close to the wealth of Africa. Its because we don't control our resources if not we are the richest people on earth. The same abroad you live has the answer to Africa's poverty. If you live with your oppresors don't throw stones!!!
The other day, a lady came to work with a Bentley, I couldn’t help but had to ask, who owns the car?
Someone said it’s her sons. That he owns a collision body shop ( the one we call panel beater).
Bro leave, levels dey this country .

2 Likes

Re: Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo by 1stGenAmerican(f): 6:17am On May 11, 2023
Gerrard59:

When he said he owns a house in COOK COUNTRY everything was confirmed. In all his posts outside this thread, he is speaking about his life as a resident of Nigeria. Not once in his previous history did he mention living anywhere outside of Nigeria but all of a sudden, he has had time to buy property in London and Chicago and now he drives Uber to pay property taxes.
Maybe he’ll Google escrow next.

1 Like

Re: Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo by Gerrard59(m): 6:18am On May 11, 2023
RALPHOW:
The major CON is that your lineage may be lost , if you don't bring your children to Nigeria regularly ( which is very expensive).

Your children's highest honour will be to bring your body to your village for burial. Immediately after your burial, it's straight to the airport and may never return for ever.

This thing about lineage, of what benefit is it when people are poor with massive insecurity around? There are currently people living faraway from their state of origins because of insecurity. So, their lineage never lost?

Sha, to each their own. Nothing concern me with lineage when there is looming poverty and insecurity.

5 Likes

Re: Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo by Gerrard59(m): 6:24am On May 11, 2023
1stGenAmerican:

When he said he owns a house in COOK COUNTRY everything was confirmed. In all his posts outside this thread, he is speaking about his life as a resident of Nigeria. Not once in his previous history did he mention living anywhere outside of Nigeria but all of a sudden, he has had time to buy property in London and Chicago and now he drives Uber to pay property taxes.

It is the Internet. Everybody is rich online. grin

I am of the opinion that people should do whatever they like since they will be the ones to bear the fruits or consequences. But they should not lie when presenting their points. His points, even if he resides abroad, do not make sense. The only ill I can say about living abroad is being in a place where the majority don't look like you (countries with few blacks) or think like you (US, Canada etc). But after seeing how the Nigerian elections went, I rather live with racists in a prosperous land than stay with tribalists in the world's poverty capital.

Economics over emotions/psychology.

2 Likes

Re: Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo by 1stGenAmerican(f): 6:39am On May 11, 2023
Gerrard59:

It is the Internet. Everybody is rich online. grin

I am of the opinion that people should do whatever they like since they will be the ones to bear the fruits or consequences. But they should not lie when presenting their points. His points, even if he resides abroad, do not make sense. The only ill I can say about living abroad is being in a place where the majority don't look like you (countries with few blacks) or think like you (US, Canada etc). But after seeing how the Nigerian elections went, I rather live with racists in a prosperous land than stay with tribalists in the world's poverty capital.

Economics over emotions/psychology.

Economics over emotions/psychology always.
As a person who has always lived one of those places (where everyone doesn’t look like me), it’s second nature and those not born here soon learn to adapt. No one here complains endlessly about bills and taxes, they live and enjoy life and when family won’t stop calling them for money, they use bills and taxes as an excuse. What’s funny is when someone is vacationing at a resort, theme park, or a beach and the phone rings non-stop from family in Nigeria demanding money and when the call isn’t answered, the family thinks the person is struggling working their third job to stay afloat. The phone stops ringing and the person on the beach turns over, reclines, and continues to enjoy.
You don’t even have to ask me how I know.

2 Likes

Re: Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo by 1stGenAmerican(f): 6:56am On May 11, 2023
sonnie10:

Yes. That is how it works when you go beyond your schedule hours.
That is why most places don’t want you to work more than you regular hours. But trust me, there are places that don’t care. They appreciate when you work extra.

I guess they don’t realize that by law, overtime pay is time and a half and in some cases, holiday pay is double time and a half. This is why Postal employees run to deliver packages on Federal holidays—they’re usually making over $100/hour and their Union contract guarantees them 8 hours of that pay on holidays, even if they only work 3 hours.

Overtime pay is a LAW, even people at Walmart and McDonald’s are entitled.
I can’t understand how people who claim to have lived in America don’t know anything about labor laws and mandated overtime pay.

Random example
If an employee earns $15/hour and works 50 hours in a 40 hour work week, then 10 hours will be at Over time Pay.
40 hours @ $15/hour=$600 and 10 hours @ $22.50/hour= $225
$825 for that work week

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/overtime

2 Likes

Re: Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo by Nobody: 7:02am On May 11, 2023
1stGenAmerican:

I do not need to lie: why do I gain from lying? Absolutely nothing, Please read to comprehend so you can understand what I am writing. I only state the disadvantage of living abroad and also wrote anyone who want to japa can japa. I am not against one coming abroad to better their lives and have better opportunities, for themselves, I only states the disadvantages. There are advantages of living abroad also. Yes I do drive uber to pay property tax after working 40 hours at my job and I can even show you my uber stub-you do not have to believe me at all which is very okay. yes I lived in Nigeria in the past, I was once a resident of Nigeria and I do not need to mention in my previous topics or posts, and even if I write like I am living in Nigeria now, it is not a crime to do so. and even though in my previous post, I did not mention of living outside of Nigeria- okay and so what.
Re: Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo by Tayorshd87: 7:14am On May 11, 2023
tunjijones:

One of my colleague whey dey earn a little above 1 million naira, him wife dey earn 350k ooo. Hin still japa. That was a very unwise decision.

Why ??
Him won go start from beginning in Overseas 😲
Probably he didn't understand or ask more details about it before d Japa moves
Re: Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo by justwise(m): 7:22am On May 11, 2023
sonnie10:

I said so already . But full time employment is 40 hours maximum.

Some sectors it does not work that way...in health care or security whether on full time or not they can work far way more than 60hrs a week
Re: Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo by Nobody: 8:05am On May 11, 2023
Gerrard59:

It is to get papers. Pregnant as much women as possible at least one of them will agree to marry him
Re: Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo by kkins25(m): 8:45am On May 11, 2023
sonnie10:

Yes. That is how it works when you go beyond your schedule hours.
That is why most places don’t want you to work more than you regular hours. But trust me, there are places that don’t care. They appreciate when you work extra.
$15 per hour or $150 per hour? grin
Re: Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo by kkins25(m): 9:00am On May 11, 2023
1stGenAmerican:

I guess they don’t realize that by law, overtime pay is time and a half and in some cases, holiday pay is double time and a half. This is why Postal employees run to deliver packages on Federal holidays—they’re usually making over $100/hour and their Union contract guarantees them 8 hours of that pay on holidays, even if they only work 3 hours.
Overtime pay is a LAW, even people at Walmart and McDonald’s are entitled.
I can’t understand how people who claim to have lived in America don’t know anything about labor laws and mandated overtime pay.

If an employee earns $15/hour and works 50 hours in a 40 hour work week, then
40 hours @ $15/hour=$600 and 10 hours @ $22.50/hour= $225
$825 for that work week

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/overtime
$825/50hours = $16. Kindly explain how they are making $100 per hour.. Your math is not mathing at all at all.
Re: Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo by obaidan: 9:19am On May 11, 2023
so much trash talk about tax bla bla bla.. if the tax dey pain u ...go back naija na .....go back naija go dey use tax wey u suppose pay buy diesel for ur generator.....you dey earn 200k per month for naija, u dey stay ikorodu dey work for Lekki, wake up 5:00am get back home 9:00pm for 8am-5pm job, u be banker but u dun turn mechanic on top ur generator wahala, u dey spend 30k of ur 200k on transportation(u no fit wear white shirt o, except u wan spend 100k on transportation(uber).....after paying bills and feeding and living like a church rat despite ur above average salary(based on naija), u no fit save pass 50k/month(less than 100 pounds). U come go UK dey earn 2k or 2.5k/month(meanwhile if u go school strategize well, put in the required effort, u go see job wey go pay u far better) ...after plenty every, u can still save as much as 500pounds(much more than 350 thousand naira) u now come here dey shout tax tax tax....i say it again if the tax tire u, go back naija no dey whine like baby wey dem collect im bread, u use good roads, steady power, u no dey fight other passengers to enter bus, u dey save much more than ur entire monthly salary when u were in naija for investment n projects, u no dey drag generator, ur pikin get better access to education wey fit give them jobs like google, facebook, amazon etc, u are not scared of what kind of future ur kids will have, u are not worried when ur kids graduate they will have to hustle for the same jobs and opportunities as children of the naija political class...and u are here shouting tax, if the tax too much for you, if the child support too much for u, anything UK govt is collecting from u, if it is too much by ur estimation, Lagos is home to all, Abuja is home to all, Akwa ibom na cool place to live, buy that ticket right now

4 Likes

Re: Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo by 1stGenAmerican(f): 9:21am On May 11, 2023
kkins25:

$825/50hours = $16. Kindly explain how they are making $100 per hour.. Your math is not mathing at all at all.

What are you talking about, Sir?
YOUR math is the one that isn’t mathing because $825/50 is not $16.

Your lack of reading comprehension is the problem. The explanation is right in the equation.
And did you just ignore the link to the DOL website with an explanation by the government explaining OTP? Yes, you did.

1 Like

Re: Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo by Mindlog: 9:22am On May 11, 2023
Gerrard59:

The problem is that these people tend to be so irresponsible and cannot fit in in a structured system. It is even good sef, as those who eventually relocate are people who understand what it means to reside in a place where things work.

Some are just hellbent on not unlearning some things they came with from Nigeria, glad the system has its way of dealing with them thus you see many of them complaining because they want it to be business as usual.
Re: Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo by sukkot: 9:54am On May 11, 2023
Spandau:

That niggah doesn't know Jackshit. Don't bother arguing with him. It's so obvious that he doesn't know nothing.
yeah bro. sorry i missed your post. just seen it now. that guy is on fantasy street

2 Likes

Re: Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo by MarketDispatch: 10:06am On May 11, 2023
Abi1985:
If you want Japa, please Japa. I am not saying you shouldn't japa.

I Japa.
Stop complaining and look for how to start a Business in the UK. You will not be complaining again of tax bla bla bla
Re: Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo by horlabiyi(m): 10:51am On May 11, 2023
OP pack your things and come back home. Stop this rubbish capping
Re: Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo by Godsonkemz(m): 10:52am On May 11, 2023
Uk no follow because its worse than Nigeria.

Wetin remain for UK na to tax people for breathing natural UK air.

1 Like

Re: Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo by Ajalalomo: 12:28pm On May 11, 2023
Abi1985:

Ok u Cannot understand until you come here. For Chicago, the average property tax is $3500 annually.

You are right about the average property tax in Chicago, but you only pay property tax if you owned the house
Re: Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo by upsupa(m): 12:49pm On May 11, 2023
Abi1985:

Ok you really for real do not know. Well i will disclose my own. I pay up to $3500 annually in property tax . The city where I stay in raise the property tax by 500 $ every year. I know what I am talking about ; you do not have to believe me. This is reality not some read up Google news report. God forbid I fall sick and cannot Pay the property tax. That home is a gone to the city. At least in Nigeria, na you get am.

You have to own the house/condo/property before you pay property tax. And you deduct it from your federal income tax and you can pay it as part of your mortgage escrow monthly. Property tax is the least of the disadvantages of living in the US. You cut your cloth according to your cloth.

Actually, paying property tax is a sign that you have progressed

2 Likes

Re: Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo by kkins25(m): 2:26pm On May 11, 2023
1stGenAmerican:

What are you talking about, Sir?
YOUR math is the one that isn’t mathing because $825/50 is not $16.

Your lack of reading comprehension is the problem. The explanation is right in the equation.
And did you just ignore the link to the DOL website with an explanation by the government explaining OTP? Yes, you did.

I've ghostwriten a book on retirement planning which featured most forms of investments and retirement account.

So, the IRS website isn't new to me. I also had to go through the Post workers union Acts just this morning.

All i am asking for, is how they obtain $150 per hour. Thanks
Re: Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo by 1stGenAmerican(f): 2:43pm On May 11, 2023
kkins25:
I've ghostwriten a book on retirement planning which featured most forms of investments and retirement account.

So, the IRS website isn't new to me. I also had to go through the Post workers union Acts just this morning.

All i am asking for, is how they obtain $150 per hour. Thanks

What does the IRS Website have to do with our conversation? I don’t recall ever mentioning the IRS website during discourse with you in this thread.
I also have no idea what the ‘Post Workers Union Acts’ are and why you’re mentioning to me that you were going through them this morning.

1 Like

Re: Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo by kkins25(m): 2:48pm On May 11, 2023
1stGenAmerican:

I don’t use my time to explain things to people who go out of their way to misunderstand and misconstrue accurate information that they are given for the sake of arguing. The IRS website has great information on pre-tax contributions. Enjoy.

www.irs.gov
weytin be this? 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Shey na weblocation abi?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Commuters Stranded As Flood Takes Over Obafemi Awolowo Way In Ikeja, Lagos / The 100+ Most Beautiful And Breathtaking Places In The World (pictures) / Terrible Accident Involving Corpers Along Ore Road (Graphic Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.