Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,518 members, 7,861,503 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 01:21 PM

How To Listen To The Word Of God - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How To Listen To The Word Of God (577 Views)

Are All Wordly Songs WrongTo Listen To? / 7 Nigerian Ministers of God You Mustn't Fail To Listen To / Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Listen To The Word Of God by yommyuk: 10:40pm On Sep 25, 2011
INTRODUCTION

Why is it that some people leave church each week encouraged and full of joy, but others go away empty and burdened? How can we make the most of listening to the Word of God?

SCRIPTURAL EXAMPLE
In the book of Nehemiah 7and 8, The Israelites were captives in Babylon, and Jerusalem's wall was in ruins. Nehemiah asked the Babylonian king for supplies and time off from his duties so he could help rebuild the wall. With God's help, Nehemiah and other exiles rebuilt the wall in 52 days, despite opposition from their enemies. The people then asked to hear the Word of God.

The best sermons are based on the Bible, not on the philosophies of men.

We must be eager to hear the word of God When you come to a worship service. Ask God to speak to your heart.

Psalm 42:1-2
As a deer longs for streams of water, so I long for you, O God. I thirst for God, the living God. When can I go and stand before him?

Keyword: THRIST

We must be attentive to the Word of God. Your attention span is determined by your desire to know God and His will for your life.

Psalm 95:7
For he is our God. We are the people he watches over, the flock under his care. If only you would listen to his voice today!

Key Phrase: LISTEN ATTENTIVELY

We must place our trust in the Word of God. Our world is unpredictable. We must place our faith in something that gives us assurance and God's Word is trustworthy.

Hebrew 10:23
Let us hold TIGHTLY without wavering to the hope we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep his promise.

When we listen to the Word of God, we must wait in expectation of hearing a personal message from him.

Keyword: WAIT

Psalms 27:14
Wait patiently for the Lord. Be brave and courageous. Yes wait patiently for the Lord

We must listen to the Word of God with a purpose. This purpose must be to gain an insight into the will and character of God. Each time you come to church, ask God for insight about His character

1 Corinthians 9:26-27
So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing. I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should………….

Keyword: PURPOSE

We must be happy to hear the Word of God.

Keyword: HAPPY

Psalm 119:35
Make me walk along the path of your commands, for that is where my happiness is found.

We must listen to the Word of God in humility. Be humble in his presence.

Keyword: HUMBLE

1 Peter 5:6
So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and at the right time he will lift you up in honor.

We must listen to the Word of God with a repentant heart. For all have come short of the Lord’s glory. If the Lord brings something to your attention, don't blame the preacher. Be honest with God about it.

Psalm 51:7
The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit. You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God.

CONCLUSION

REVELATION 19:13
He wore a robe dipped in blood, and his title was the Word of God. The armies of heaven, dressed in the finest of pure white linen, followed him on white horses. From his mouth came a sharp sword to strike down the nations. He will rule them with an iron rod. He will release the fierce wrath of God, the almighty, like juice flowing from a winepress. On his robe at his thigh was written this title: Kings of all kings and Lord of all lords.
The word of God is powerful. Knowing and understanding the Word of God is absolute victory. A very resourceful tool to have in one’s armor. That is why it will always continue to amaze me when especially Christian show lack of interest in the Word of God. What a loss.
Let the word of God dwell……………………, in you.

God bless. wink

(1) (Reply)

Being Born Into A Religion / Neither Foolish Talking Nor Jesting / False Refuge: OSAS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.