Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,932 members, 7,828,250 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:17 AM

Dangote Refinery Begins Operations Amid Lingering Fuel Crisis - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Dangote Refinery Begins Operations Amid Lingering Fuel Crisis (34303 Views)

Dangote Refinery Begins Operations / Giant Dangote Oil Refinery Begins Production In 3rd Quarter / Japanese Company Miniso Begins Operations In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dangote Refinery Begins Operations Amid Lingering Fuel Crisis by erico2k2(m): 5:44pm On May 11, 2023
Pascal9:
do your research, 20% of cars sold in 1st quarter of 2023 are electric, and it is projected to 50%by 2027, and mind you he can't make headway if subsidy is removed, if gasoline prices hit 700naira, people will either abandon it or go electric.
As an Engineer in the field of assembly plants and Automation, I bet you my left balls, in 10 years time all these talks about electric cars are going to die and a new source of energy will emerge, we saw this with Diesel etc. This is not the first time Eletric cars were tried and built, as a matter of fact, there was electric cars before the Internal combustion Engines aver came into existence. The way forward is Hybrid.
people who own full electric cars are already complaining cos a journey that will take 5 hours now take 8 hours because you will have to park and recharge due to long range etc, it is even worse in the winter when it gets darker quicker.

3 Likes

Re: Dangote Refinery Begins Operations Amid Lingering Fuel Crisis by TrainPark: 5:56pm On May 11, 2023
erico2k2:

The reason for his post is not far-fetched, we are moving into Monopoly. He did that in cement and controlled the price. There is no fair trade, no one monitors or controls these commodities, he controls salt, sugar, cement and many more.

He may be the leader but it is not a monopoly... BUA, and several other players are making it big there too.
He was smart to focus on non-oil business sectors that are essential and hence his outstanding success.

Anybody can go into these sectors.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dangote Refinery Begins Operations Amid Lingering Fuel Crisis by erico2k2(m): 6:01pm On May 11, 2023
TrainPark:

He may be the leader but it is not a monopoly... BUA, and several other players are making it big there too.
He was smart to focus on non-oil business sectors that are essential and hence his outstanding success.

Anybody can go into these sectors.
I recon you should sit bac and think out of the box on this o ne, have you any idea how much subs he gets from FG, how much gratification he gets from FG also tax exemptions? Also how much loan he has taken in the name of this refinary?.He manage to sell 20% to FG at an amount equal to building almost two brand new refineries. All the natural queries in the Sw and Se he bought and not mining and killed off local mans cement Biz.If you are in the know bross you will understand the fraud going on there. What I am saying may not make sense to you but its the obvious reality.
Re: Dangote Refinery Begins Operations Amid Lingering Fuel Crisis by TrainPark: 6:15pm On May 11, 2023
erico2k2:

I recon you should sit bac and think out of the box on this o ne, have you any idea how much subs he gets from FG, how much gratification he gets from FG also tax exemptions? Also how much loan he has taken in the name of this refinary?.He manage to sell 20% to FG at an amount equal to building almost two brand new refineries. All the natural queries in the Sw and Se he bought and not mining and killed off local mans cement Biz.If you are in the know bross you will understand the fraud going on there. What I am saying may not make sense to you but its the obvious reality.

You are taking on so many different points at the same time which makes meaningful discussion impossible.
- I agree about govt support but that is how it works in every sector if you are a leader because the government has an interest in the success of private sector players. They provide employment and serve as the main stay of the economy.

- Selling 20% to the government is business and even you will do that f you are in position.

- All the local quarries he bought: I agree you he may have bought some but that is because it is his sector of interest.

- Fraud: for your learning, business is not church work and as long as the players are within the rules, then all is fair. he is free to use his influence and connection. Just like I am sure you have used and will use if you are in position.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dangote Refinery Begins Operations Amid Lingering Fuel Crisis by erico2k2(m): 6:22pm On May 11, 2023
TrainPark:

You are taking on so many different points at the same time which makes meaningful discussion impossible.
- I agree about govt support but that is how it works in every sector if you are a leader because the government has an interest in the success of private sector players. They provide employment and serve as the main stay of the economy.

- Selling 20% to the government is business and even you will do that f you are in position.

- All the local quarries he bought: I agree you he may have bought some but that is because it is his sector of interest.

[b]- Fraud: for your learning, business is not church work and as long as the players are within the rules, then all is fair. he is free to use his [/b]influence and connection. Just like I am sure you have used and will use if you are in position.
Nah he does not play with the rule, there is such word as legitimate Biz and illegitimate Biz,I am afraid he falls into illegitimate.
I will stop there cos I have worked there b4 when he hired the world's heaviest lifter to assemble his Distillation tank.
Re: Dangote Refinery Begins Operations Amid Lingering Fuel Crisis by mindworx: 6:34pm On May 11, 2023
Generalwoodz:

In other news: who has LinkedIn account? I wanna buy
grin grin grin .. Jesu, una don dey buy LinkedIn account too?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dangote Refinery Begins Operations Amid Lingering Fuel Crisis by meedoLock(m): 6:43pm On May 11, 2023
Hopefully, this will not turn out to be another white elephant project or another loophole for people at the helm of affairs to siphon and bastardize our collective common wealth......

1 Like

Re: Dangote Refinery Begins Operations Amid Lingering Fuel Crisis by ogunsbanjul(m): 6:43pm On May 11, 2023
Certain people from a region will not be happy with this new development because of these reasons below: 1. The private refinery (dangote refinery) is not sited in their region. 2. The refinery is not built by their bloda. 3. The refinery is built in Yoruba land Lagos State. 4. The refinery will be commissioned by major general Mohammed Buhari (rtd) GCFR by 22nd May,2023. The man they hate so much as if he was not created by God despite the developmental projects in their region executed by the same man. 5. Their prayers against Nigeria are not answered. 6. The more they HATE Yoruba and north, the more God is blessing them. No wonder it is written in Genesis 12 vs 3. 7.................... To God be the glory. May the tenure of Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu as the president of the federal republic of Nigeria favour me and you in Jesus name

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Dangote Refinery Begins Operations Amid Lingering Fuel Crisis by Adabestseason(m): 7:01pm On May 11, 2023
I Know from onset it is going to be like this,what about other modular refineries,cement subsector is handled down to GCON,and people in the south are buying at reduced rate
Re: Dangote Refinery Begins Operations Amid Lingering Fuel Crisis by dbestuncle: 7:06pm On May 11, 2023
Alexpeters:
One of this administration biggest achievement. Could this be why our refineries are yet to function to its full capacity as they promised during the campaign years back ?
How is it their own achievement.
1. It was started before their tenure.
2. The PIB that was signed to law also predates this jokers.
Re: Dangote Refinery Begins Operations Amid Lingering Fuel Crisis by Cromagnon: 7:44pm On May 11, 2023
Pascal9:
many companies have gone bankrupt by not following inovation, ask yourself , look around who is building refineries this days.the energy of today and the future is gas and solar
we still use coal and firewood even in developed countries. Read wide not just propaganda
Re: Dangote Refinery Begins Operations Amid Lingering Fuel Crisis by AutoConsult: 8:38pm On May 11, 2023
Minjim:
N17 reduction from where?
From this current subsidy rate of N185/litres or the anticipated subsidy remover amount of N700?

Anything less than N150 is not acceptable. We can't be refining locally and still be buying over N150
Obi supporters don yarn dust as usual
Re: Dangote Refinery Begins Operations Amid Lingering Fuel Crisis by Enice(m): 8:40pm On May 11, 2023
taylor89:

Dont give a personal business credit to useless government

If Government was handling Dangote business he would have gone bankrupt

Buhari is a joke

Tinubu is an impending disaster
yeah! But you can give credit to Obi taking a stake in the opening of a beer parlour

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dangote Refinery Begins Operations Amid Lingering Fuel Crisis by Greenfusion: 8:41pm On May 11, 2023
Saga16:

First of.all, it wasn't 3 years but 8 for the actual construction.

Secondly, there's the common saying that government has no business being in business.

Private enterprise would do better than government when it comes to business because they have more incentive not to fail.
Its because we are in a corrupt society, government build businesses and run it well in other countries.....how can we explain billions been pumped into repairing refineries without success.....not only that, look at ajaokuta steel company....they kept pumping billions year in year out without success.....
Re: Dangote Refinery Begins Operations Amid Lingering Fuel Crisis by MeineMutter: 9:16pm On May 11, 2023
nairalanda1:

I get what you are saying....however

1.Only1% of the cars sold in the USA are electric

2.Theproblem with electric cars is firstly the battery. Batteries have the problem of depreciating with every charge. (It is the same issue with your phone battery.). Until we can develop a battery that does not easily depreciate, the issue is still a pain.

3.Second, electric cars are more expensive than your usual petrol car

4.Then you need to rejig the transmission system of electric power to accommodate electric cars charging points. A problem in developed world, talkless of developing world.

5. Most countries worldwide for now are still using petrol cars.

Don’t mind that da.unce. He feels he can just come here and talk anyhow.

Even if the whole world is using electric cars, who told him Africans will be able to afford it in the next 50 years? He doesn’t know Africans are very very very very poor.
Things that oyibo has used and abandoned over 150 years ago, we have not been using it in Nigeria. He was talking as if electric car is coming to Nigeria to stay this evening.

Even in Norway where they use the most electric car in the world, they haven’t gotten to to 80%, as of today. Norway is just around 65%. And it has just a population of nearly 6m. They are not even up to people living in Alimosho alone.

So, Dangote refined oil is for African countries but not for other continent. He may only refine crude brought by other countries from Americas, Europe or Asia but his target(ed) market is Africa.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Dangote Refinery Begins Operations Amid Lingering Fuel Crisis by richmond500: 9:36pm On May 11, 2023
taylor89:
If you investigate deeply you’ll realize Dangote is one major big problem we have in Nigerian government

I know you can’t relate but behind the scenes Dangote won’t be this rich if Nigerian government was working fine

These people are benefactors of bad governance

But 30k monthly warriors will come to defend him
Dangote was never the problem.
I remembered when he advice the FG to quickly diversify the economy, that was before the recession, they were slow and look at where we are today.
He wanted to buy NLNG but later did not cos people were against it, today I no even understand wetin that NLNG deh work.

Now his modular refinery is what will bring hope to Nigeria.

Dangote is more of a blessing than a curse, the govt are too relaxed and that is why Dangote is doing their job.
Re: Dangote Refinery Begins Operations Amid Lingering Fuel Crisis by GodsOwn2004(m): 10:58pm On May 11, 2023
Please how much is a bag of a locally produced Dangote cement at the moment?
Re: Dangote Refinery Begins Operations Amid Lingering Fuel Crisis by Stylz69(m): 11:41pm On May 11, 2023
Dangote claims his 650,000 bpd refinery can meet 100% of Nigerians need

Maths time

At 43% yield for PMS and 159 liters of crude per barrel, you’d get about 45m liters of PMS.

The calculation for subsidy is based on a consumption of 60m liters per day! This is an excess of at least 15m liters!!

Either NNPC are thieves or Dangote will not produce enough to meet the country’s need! I will pick the former
Re: Dangote Refinery Begins Operations Amid Lingering Fuel Crisis by Getsaved(m): 11:43pm On May 11, 2023
ednut1:
Dangote will sell at prevailing international prices lol. 500 per litre

Bro. I send you a pm, Please do reply.
Re: Dangote Refinery Begins Operations Amid Lingering Fuel Crisis by Papilagreen: 2:41am On May 12, 2023
Lol you very wrong in so many ways u need to do more research lol.. what electric car do you drive that u already have all the answers and conclusions..

nairalanda1:

I get what you are saying....however

1.Only1% of the cars sold in the USA are electric

2.Theproblem with electric cars is firstly the battery. Batteries have the problem of depreciating with every charge. (It is the same issue with your phone battery.). Until we can develop a battery that does not easily depreciate, the issue is still a pain.

3.Second, electric cars are more expensive than your usual petrol car

4.Then you need to rejig the transmission system of electric power to accommodate electric cars charging points. A problem in developed world, talkless of developing world.

5. Most countries worldwide for now are still using petrol cars.
Re: Dangote Refinery Begins Operations Amid Lingering Fuel Crisis by Papilagreen: 3:17am On May 12, 2023
Okay let me add my 2cents.. see to me I believe dangote refinery is already dead on arrival..

My points below..

I live in America and I can see the fast evolutions of mobility..
In the present day where we have trains that are faster that a speeding bullet shot out of the barrel of an AK-47..

Firstly 8 states in America already passed a bill to ban all petroleum fuel cars and switch to electric..
Hell I live in a mini town I won't say small but mini cause the town get level pass Abuja Lagos and jos put together is nothing compare. So when I stand outside my front yard say I take my dog out to go do her poop thing.. if I count 20 card drive by 12 are either all electric or hybrid..

Infact every car manufacturing companies are now switching to EV..

It's not just America it balls down to China Germany Russia Japan etc u name it..

Unless dangote wants to lobby in the Senate house to pass a bill for only petroleum cars and even at that, all automobile companies plan to switch to full EV by 2030.. it's already done on arrival.. unless dangote plans to build a car manufacturing company in Nigeria solely for gas cars i.e petroleum fuel car, if that's not his aim then that company is dead on arrival..

Funny part is our leaders they all stupid they travel abroad and they see all these and they still mumu think say petroleum n the future..
It's not.. even Dubai and Saudi Arabia are now switching from oil which they have in over mass quantity and switching to tech like AI and robotics because they know the petroleum they have will be obsolut soon enough. I guess dangote don't have goo business and financial advisors..
What he would have done if I was him is build a battery powered plant Nigeria have huge deposited of lithium if he was smart enough then he would have been the one supplying EV batteries to all EV companies and while those EV will be at competition he would have been on the safe side cause he will do good business world wide... Maybe na fuel for generators him wan dey supply for in the future I guess .
Re: Dangote Refinery Begins Operations Amid Lingering Fuel Crisis by nairalanda1(m): 5:49am On May 12, 2023
Papilagreen:

Lol you very wrong in so many ways u need to do more research lol.. what electric car do you drive that u already have all the answers and conclusions..

Well, I am an enthusiast for green tech, and I believe in electric cars, and as a result I have done a bit of reading around the topic.We will get to a point where electric cars surpass petrol cars, but we are still decades away from that, the main issue being the battery problem.

You don't have to agree with me though.

1 Like

Re: Dangote Refinery Begins Operations Amid Lingering Fuel Crisis by nairalanda1(m): 6:02am On May 12, 2023
MeineMutter:

Don’t mind that da.unce. He feels he can just come here and talk anyhow.

Even if the whole world is using electric cars, who told him Africans will be able to afford it in the next 50 years? He doesn’t know Africans are very very very very poor.
Things that oyibo has used and abandoned over 150 years ago, we have not been using it in Nigeria. He was talking as if electric car is coming to Nigeria to stay this evening.

Even in Norway where they use the most electric car in the world, they haven’t gotten to to 80%, as of today. Norway is just around 65%. And it has just a population of nearly 6m. They are not even up to people living in Alimosho alone.

So, Dangote refined oil is for African countries but not for other continent. He may only refine crude brought by other countries from Americas, Europe or Asia but his target(ed) market is Africa.

The guy i responded to has every right to be worried. Electric vehicles are getting better, and developed countries are putting in place measures to reduce dependence on petrol vehicles.

However, we are not yet at the point where EVERYONE would use EV, and even then, there is the issue of generating more power due to everyone needing to charge their batteries.......which means you still need a crude oil refinery because.....gas and diesel. Plus a lot that is used to make a car is plastic....refinery needed.
Re: Dangote Refinery Begins Operations Amid Lingering Fuel Crisis by nairalanda1(m): 6:04am On May 12, 2023
Re: Dangote Refinery Begins Operations Amid Lingering Fuel Crisis by Saga16: 7:35am On May 12, 2023
Abudu2000:
your ignorance dey smell, if there was constant power supply who will even need gas to cook.

People don't use gas or petrol abroad.
Re: Dangote Refinery Begins Operations Amid Lingering Fuel Crisis by Saga16: 7:46am On May 12, 2023
Papilagreen:
Okay let me add my 2cents.. see to me I believe dangote refinery is already dead on arrival..

My points below..

I live in America and I can see the fast evolutions of mobility..
In the present day where we have trains that are faster that a speeding bullet shot out of the barrel of an AK-47..

Firstly 8 states in America already passed a bill to ban all petroleum fuel cars and switch to electric..
Hell I live in a mini town I won't say small but mini cause the town get level pass Abuja Lagos and jos put together is nothing compare. So when I stand outside my front yard say I take my dog out to go do her poop thing.. if I count 20 card drive by 12 are either all electric or hybrid..

Infact every car manufacturing companies are now switching to EV..

It's not just America it balls down to China Germany Russia Japan etc u name it..

Unless dangote wants to lobby in the Senate house to pass a bill for only petroleum cars and even at that, all automobile companies plan to switch to full EV by 2030.. it's already done on arrival.. unless dangote plans to build a car manufacturing company in Nigeria solely for gas cars i.e petroleum fuel car, if that's not his aim then that company is dead on arrival..

Funny part is our leaders they all stupid they travel abroad and they see all these and they still mumu think say petroleum n the future..
It's not.. even Dubai and Saudi Arabia are now switching from oil which they have in over mass quantity and switching to tech like AI and robotics because they know the petroleum they have will be obsolut soon enough. I guess dangote don't have goo business and financial advisors..
What he would have done if I was him is build a battery powered plant Nigeria have huge deposited of lithium if he was smart enough then he would have been the one supplying EV batteries to all EV companies and while those EV will be at competition he would have been on the safe side cause he will do good business world wide... Maybe na fuel for generators him wan dey supply for in the future I guess .

Are oil companies still into exploration?

If so, what for?
Re: Dangote Refinery Begins Operations Amid Lingering Fuel Crisis by Pascal9: 11:26am On May 12, 2023
Cromagnon:
we still use coal and firewood even in developed countries. Read wide not just propaganda
most are been closed name one country that is building coal power plant in this 21 century.
Re: Dangote Refinery Begins Operations Amid Lingering Fuel Crisis by Pascal9: 11:32am On May 12, 2023
erico2k2:

As an Engineer in the field of assembly plants and Automation, I bet you my left balls, in 10 years time all these talks about electric cars are going to die and a new source of energy will emerge, we saw this with Diesel etc. This is not the first time Eletric cars were tried and built, as a matter of fact, there was electric cars before the Internal combustion Engines aver came into existence. The way forward is Hybrid.
people who own full electric cars are already complaining cos a journey that will take 5 hours now take 8 hours because you will have to park and recharge due to long range etc, it is even worse in the winter when it gets darker quicker.
you are a local Nigeria engineer , you got nothing upstairs , combustion win then because of John d Rockefeller standard oil monopoly , Nigeria engineer ask yourself, why all the major auto industries are investing billions of dollars in electric vehicles development, Volkswagen is investigating close to 80 billion dollars, Daimler is investigating 60billion dollars, ford general motors, and leader Tesla in investing billions of dollars and a local hungry Nigeria engineer is predicting the demise of an industry that is a game changer
Re: Dangote Refinery Begins Operations Amid Lingering Fuel Crisis by Pascal9: 11:51am On May 12, 2023
obehi231:

And you think electric vehicles will be easily adopted in Nigeria where electricity is still unavailable 4 basic needs I believe in this transition to clean energy we should begin with LNG, LPG
that is my point, LNG =gas and electricity gbam
Re: Dangote Refinery Begins Operations Amid Lingering Fuel Crisis by Pascal9: 11:53am On May 12, 2023
sparko1:

Just shut up, people still use horses for transportation, it will take at least 50-100 years before everyone will go the way of renewable energy by which time lots of people might have died of hunger.
when did you see a horse last, hypocrite
Re: Dangote Refinery Begins Operations Amid Lingering Fuel Crisis by Taigaban: 12:19pm On May 12, 2023
Inaguration or begin production? Let's make clear.
Re: Dangote Refinery Begins Operations Amid Lingering Fuel Crisis by sparko1(m): 12:40pm On May 12, 2023
Pascal9:
when did you see a horse last, hypocrite

I don't know where you stay but I see horse almost every day, come to Lagos beach and see how lucrative having a horse is.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Seven Banks Fail Cbn’s Stress Test / Ariaria International Market In Aba Flooded Yesterday (Pictures, Video) / Academic Writing- A Goldmine On Fiverr: Learn How I Made Over $3,000 In 5 Months

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.