Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,724 members, 7,816,977 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:56 PM

My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name (40568 Views)

Help Needed! I Am Finding It Difficult Calling My Brother 'sir'. / My Wife's Family Has Ruined My Home And My Life / Big And Bold Husband And Wife Family Picture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Megabig: 8:33pm On May 13, 2023
donbachi:
No issues..as long as his birth certificate and documents will bear name given by you
It is a very big issue… very very big
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by ibkayee(f): 8:34pm On May 13, 2023
If the gentleman doesn’t want his own son to be addressed by another name I don’t see the issue.

This is how overstepping boundaries gets normalised in a lot of Nigerian homes, it always starts with something seemingly trivial

I’d be interested to know the wife’s feelings

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Waffarianman(m): 8:34pm On May 13, 2023
ceejay80s:
Your case no easy oo
There are some inlaws like that, it almost happened to me, I named my son Jeremy and they tried to change it to Jeremiah, I no waste time hala that his name is Jeremy and not Jeremiah, abeg na my pikin, una don give una pikin their names, just leave mine for me, if una no fit call am Jeremy, make una use sign language call am

It's easy bro he just need to man up that's all. It happens to me and I fall their hands
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by balingaonline(m): 8:34pm On May 13, 2023
In my primary school time all my Christian friends called me Bidemi, all my Muslim friends called me Taofeek, My mom and siblings are calling me Taoheed, my grandma/pa called me Adio, my street friends are calling me Balinga. When ever someone call me and I don't remember his/her face again, I will know the place where we knew each other base on the name he/she use to call me.

My own take is that, it is not serious issue

6 Likes

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Minjim: 8:35pm On May 13, 2023
Chill!
When I had my son I asked my wife to give him a name ,I gave him one, my dad gave him.
Even my landlady gave him a name
And they all call him by the names they gave him.

Life will sort itself out stop worry about trivial issues

3 Likes

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by maasoap(m): 8:35pm On May 13, 2023
Ever8090:
People just get problem for this life I swear,...what is wrong with grand parents giving their grand child a name?.. some times not even grand parents,but even neighbors calls children different names,..

This so called civilized and religious generation will be acting mumu like mumu....
It is wrong no matter how you look at it. Why would your parents give you a name and your maternal grandparents would be calling you a different name that wasn't part of your names? It is disrespectful as far as I'm concerned!

3 Likes

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Danniedpastor(m): 8:35pm On May 13, 2023
Bro, you worry over nothing.
My two kids have different names given by my parents and also my in-laws.
I named my son Blossom. My parents call him Ona-Edo,my in-laws call him Ogheneyoma. Only I and my wife decide what he bears officially.
Ignore them. Your child will get used to his real names as he grows. My son will say "My name is Blossom Daniel Ossai. I also have other names ( referring to The names his grand parents call him).
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by seasy: 8:35pm On May 13, 2023
joeargy:

Daniel is my problem

Lol
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by afunmmy: 8:36pm On May 13, 2023
joeargy:
Hi everyone, I will appreciate ur advice...

My son is 2yrs old , when he was born I and my wife named him Charles but my wife's mother and father can't stop calling him Daniel, when ever my son is at their place for holidays or visits, they call him Daniel and all their neighbors and friends now call my son Daniel.

I remembered I told my wife about it and her mother heard and felt bad, he is my son and not theirs, I understand grandparents give their grand children names too, I have a name from my grandparents but they call me by the one my parents gave me...

What do I do house?

You don't have a problem but you might end up creating one for your self.

I have a son of 10 year my inlaws calls him their preferred name, my mom calls him by the name she gave to him, my dad calls him my grandpa's name, I call him by the name I gave to him and his mom calls him by my first name instead of calling him junior.
Now the biggest of all is that they call him Bishop in the church and in his school they call him Professor because he uses glasses. So you can see there is really no problem.

All you need do is to make sure that the name in his birth certificate, NIM, passport and all other official documents is the name you want him to be addressed with.

Make I shock you! The boy can be come 18 today and change his name to what pleases him. I have a colleague like that.

Pls avoid family problems as much as you can.

Thank you

3 Likes

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by thesmallgod(m): 8:36pm On May 13, 2023
Na you dey give yourself headache. If the boy don start to dey go school now, they should go and change his name to Daniel.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by maasoap(m): 8:37pm On May 13, 2023
Danniedpastor:
Bro, you worry over nothing.
My two kids have different names given by my parents and also my in-laws.
I named my son Blossom. My parents call him Ona-Edo,my in-laws call him Ogheneyoma. Only I and my wife decide what he bears officially.
Ignore them. Your child will get used to his real names as he grows. My son will say "My name is Blossom Daniel Ossai. I also have other names ( referring to The names his grand parents call him).
None of them gave him another English name, that's acceptable.

1 Like

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by mariahAngel(f): 8:38pm On May 13, 2023
AfonjaPriest:

My grandparents used to call me by the native name they gave me. There must be a reason the grandparents are adamant about calling your son the name. Go and verify; do a paternity test.

So, did they carry out a paternity test on you, since your grandparents also called you by a different name?
Stop sowing seeds of doubt in people.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by simplesearch: 8:39pm On May 13, 2023
joeargy:

My son is 2yrs old , when he was born I and my wife named him Charles but my wife's mother and father can't stop calling him Daniel, when ever my son is at their place for holidays or visits, they call him Daniel and all their neighbors and friends now call my son Daniel.

I remembered I told my wife about it and her mother heard and felt bad, he is my son and not theirs, I understand grandparents give their grand children names too, I have a name from my grandparents but they call me by the one my parents gave me...

What do I do house?

Don't bother yourself about non essential issues of life. That name is unofficial and won't stick officially, so just rest your mind. On the other hand if the destiny of Daniel becomes that of your child, don't you know you're a lucky man? or between a godly, intellectual child with excellent spirit, and the one with fanciful name but manaseh in character and spirit, which of the two do you prefer?

1 Like

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by ceejay80s(m): 8:39pm On May 13, 2023
emezuo17:
. So only Europeans are qualified to be saints, your grand parents can't be saints too abi, my guy, local names with meanings are better than foreign names without meaning, what is the local translation of Charles and Daniel, in your dialect.
Father thansi is a Saint and a Nigerian
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Sweetvie: 8:40pm On May 13, 2023
Lol
My grandparents from my mom side called me different name, my Dad side called me different name... I don't see anything wrong tho. Grandparents always av a preferred name.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by LyfeJennings(m): 8:41pm On May 13, 2023
joeargy:

What do I do house?

Not a big deal
I bear over 5 different names to different family members
Don't feel bad fam
Shebi na ur name dey birth certificate and that's his official name.
Don't fret man
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Foodqueen(f): 8:41pm On May 13, 2023
Was the name part of the names that were given during christening

If yes, then there's is no issue at all

Except if it wasn't.

And if it was and u are now rejecting it. It means u aren't acting right.

1 Like

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by MadamExcellency: 8:44pm On May 13, 2023
Exmilitant:
These foreign names wey una dey call children dey vex me. Wetin be Charles and Daniel?
Whatever happened to Izuchukwu, Uwem, Adebola, Ovundah?

God help Africa!!

Are they asking you for the upkeep or school fees?

This is non of your business, Mr Chief Complaint.

2 Likes

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by tnerro1(m): 8:46pm On May 13, 2023
Oga go do DNA ooo, e get why
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by AfonjaPriest: 8:46pm On May 13, 2023
They gave me a native name, not an English one. And again, one should consider the signs of the times; things are way different, back then than now.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by AfonjaPriest: 8:46pm On May 13, 2023
They gave me a native name, not an English one. And again, one should consider the signs of the times; things are way different, back then than now.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by AfonjaPriest: 8:47pm On May 13, 2023
mariahAngel:

So, did they carry out a paternity test on you, since your grandparents also called you by a different name?
Stop sowing seeds of doubt in people.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by easzypeaszy(m): 8:48pm On May 13, 2023
joeargy:

What do I do house?
no vex but na sma ll pikin dey worry u seriously and I understand dis ur stage.. Av bin here b4 n u just want to feel lik u owe somtin or like dis is wht I want.. Hmmmm oga notin is wrong wt dat
If dey like let dem collect the child frm u.. Father n son reltnship no be here.
So calling him diff name na vry tiny I mean vry tiny issue no go fall ursef hand oo mk u grow up.
My mom calls me diff name
My dad calls me diff name
My sisters calls me diff name
My immediate eldr bro call me diff name
My homeboys call me diff name

3 Likes

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Okhuadams(m): 8:49pm On May 13, 2023
joeargy:

What do I do house?
Is a very simple matter just hang a very big signboard in front and back of him with the inscription HIS NAME IS NOT DANIWL BUT CHARLES. anytime he goes to visits his grandparents.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by DRPAIT123(m): 8:49pm On May 13, 2023
tonicyril:
I named my daughter Shekemi, every other person around are calling her Shindara...lobatan, what should I do, how many people do I correct?? Who knows maybe that is the name the child want himself/herself??

Those are two lovely names that portray exquisite Yoruba artistry.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Ever8090: 8:49pm On May 13, 2023
maasoap:

It is wrong no matter how you look at it. Why would your parents give you a name and your maternal grandparents would be calling you a different name that wasn't part of your names? It is disrespectful as far as I'm concerned!
there is nothing anyone will tell you that will make you have sense at least on this matter so I will better allow you remain where you are in your new generational madness and some stupid new generational misleading religious teaching......in those days, one of the joy for parents and children is to hear grant parents call children there preferred names, some grand parents name their grams children names that suits their experiences in life and this children grow up to be more wise and reasonable than you guys who are criticising the exercise today

1 Like

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Iceberg3: 8:51pm On May 13, 2023
taylor89:
NA THEM KNOW THE REAL PAPA

I understand grandparents and calling their grandkids their preferred name

And I know every human has one or two other names their family extended family calls them just like me now my name reach 30

Just like when you tell someone to tell you about themselves during talking stage you’ll hear my name soso my grandma calls me Adaobi my grandpa calls Ogbenye Alu my friends call me Sobechi etc

But you see switching from Charles to Daniel

Which are just same random English names and not a native name just grandparents always give

Oga that child isn’t yours

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by BJanta: 8:52pm On May 13, 2023
Bro , the day wey baba Daniel go jam you for that place , the thing wey your eye go see , your mouth no go fit talk am . And na village people wey won do sabi dey give dat kind name to dem pikin . Wetin be Charles? Abi na dog you born for pikn? Daniel better far far for this dog wey you carry give your. Daniel correct name from Bible wey get correct meaning.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by akaahs(m): 8:52pm On May 13, 2023
joeargy:

What do I do house?
Almost similar thing happened today at my wife father's mother burial but this time is my own mother ever since the boy was given birth she have refused to be calling him with the we gave him. I have to tell her i can remember our dad dragging naming all her children. She have named us all 7 children without any body dragging with her. Sh should not drag us.

1 Like

Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by pek(m): 8:52pm On May 13, 2023
NoToPile:
Na wa I don't understand the problem with guys marrying these days they must wail about every thing ahan.

Wail, whine, cry shout about every damn thing.
Kilode Gan.

I know someone that was at my daughters naming ceremony not even related to me at all that calls her by one of the many names we gave her, she's the only one who calls her by that name and she calls me mama (the name).

If someone calls me by one particular name in crowd I am 90percent sure it's my mums village people.

My father inlaw calls my daughter by the name he gave her, the name no kuku dey birth cert.

As long as the names have good meanings no problem.

I honestly can't fathom what warranted this wailing.

You contradict yourself and it is not wailing as you wrongly put it. In your case, she calls her by the many names you gave her. That means you gave her the name.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by Badb0y4lyf(m): 8:53pm On May 13, 2023
Last last your son will have the prerogative on what name he is to be called.
Re: My Wife's Family Calling My Son Another Name by tonicyril: 8:54pm On May 13, 2023
DRPAIT123:
Those are two lovely names that portray exquisite Yoruba artistry.
Abi??
I kuku succumb jejely grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. / His Maid Is Pregnant For Him And He Wants Abortion / Blessing Oko Ikpor: Bank Manager Husband In ‘Secret’ Wedding Saga In Rivers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.