Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:47 AM

Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? (26273 Views)

Bound To Fail / 51 Words You Should Know How To Pronounce [part 2] / Suprisingly Common Mispronounced Words And How To Pronounce Them Correctly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by Plumkin(f): 1:18pm On Sep 28, 2011
^^^Let them keep wallowing in their mediocrity, they might get a Nobel someday.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by Nobody: 1:22pm On Sep 28, 2011
oyinmama:

Still excuses in my opinion!!  Since when did it become proper to use negative societal symbols as role models & justification for wrong? Same reason for all the excuses given for the sadly ever increasing failure rate in WAEC, JAMB and other exams, so tell me, Mathematics, Geography & Physics et al aren't part of our culture yes?   There is simply no excuse of mediocrity. SMH

If you have to ask this question, then I understand why this argument persists!

maclatunji:

^^^Exactly, he does not get the point.

And you don't have the answer. Nice way of backing out.

And by the way, what do you mean by negative societal symbols and role models? SMH, you be Queen pikin?
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by SisiKill1: 1:23pm On Sep 28, 2011
musKeeto:

Pls, differentiate between accent and pronunciation.

Doesn't one's accent affect his pronunciation?

Afterall, not all tribes in Nigeria pronounce words the same way. I won't give examples in order to prevent an occurrence of 'tribal derailism' cheesy

ello, my names his hayo hand hi ham from hondo state. Hi was heducated in hanambra state, hi like to heat sicken and sips
 - Accent

Lizzen to me, my compura is not working because my broda poured a borru of worra on it. If you tink am not saying the trut axe him yoursef. - Pronunciation

Went to one of the popular pentecostal churches in Ogun. . .errr. . .I mean Lagos wink and I was appalled to hear them sing. . ."Magnifichent Magnifichent is your name". . .Bishop. . . errr. . . I mean Pastor oh, Asst pastor, choir master, choir mistress, the entire 200 and something chorister, the over 50,000 congregation. .  they were all. . .Magnifichent, Magnifichent is your name" I was like WTF?   What is heavens name is Magnifichent?  

Now you know that one isn't just laziness. . .come on now, you can't tell me there's no one out of the lot who knows it's not magnifichent but magnificent?

My theory - They heard their pastor pronounce it that way, instead of correcting him (because of the touch not my anointed thingy) they all decided to follow join. . . "What? If Papa. . .errr. . .I mean Pastor pronounces it like that, then it must be right"  cheesy

Anyone care for some orange juwees this morring?  cheesy
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by Nobody: 1:25pm On Sep 28, 2011
Plumkin:

^^^Let them keep wallowing in their mediocrity, they might get a Nobel someday.

There's a difference between working with what you've got and mediocrity.

I've met Indians and Chinese who can write English essays yet don't know how to speak the language. Pronunciation of English has nothing at all to do with the failure being recorded by our students in examinations. That's another topic.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by maclatunji: 1:26pm On Sep 28, 2011
musKeeto:

Pls, differentiate between accent and pronunciation.

Doesn't one's accent affect his pronunciation? It doesn't have to unless you don't really care.

Afterall, not all tribes in Nigeria pronounce words the same way. I won't give examples in order to prevent an occurrence of 'tribal derailism' cheesy

Accent: degree of prominence of a syllable within a word and sometimes of a word within a phrase: primary accent; secondary accent.

Pronunciation: the act or result of producing the sounds of speech, including articulation, stress, and intonation, often with reference to some standard of correctness or acceptability.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by Nobody: 1:26pm On Sep 28, 2011
Sisi_Kill:

ello, my names his hayo hand hi ham from hondo state. Hi was heducated in hanambra state, hi like to heat sicken and sips[/i][/b]  - Accent

Lizzen to me, my compura is not working because my broda poured a borru of worra on it. If you tink am not saying the trut axe him yoursef. - Pronunciation

LMAO, na you start am o, when dem come vind u, no col me o, cheesy
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by martinosi: 1:28pm On Sep 28, 2011
musKeeto:

There's a difference between working with what you've got and mediocrity.

I've met Indians and Chinese who can write English essays yet don't know how to speak the language. Pronunciation of English has nothing at all to do with the failure being recorded by our students in examinations. That's another topic.

CO-SIGN, just some low self esteem bullsh**t  by the OP, The Indian and chinese that are making
millions of Naira in nigeria right now can they speak good english, lol

Nigerians are always shooting @ the wrong target bothered over trivial sh***
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by Nobody: 1:28pm On Sep 28, 2011
maclatunji:

Accent: degree of prominence of a syllable within a word and sometimes of a word within a phrase: primary accent; secondary accent.

Pronunciation: the act or result of producing the sounds of speech, including articulation, stress, and intonation, often with reference to some standard of correctness or acceptability.

With regards to pronunciation, what standard of correctness/acceptability do you refer to? The British or American standard?
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by martinosi: 1:31pm On Sep 28, 2011
maclatunji:

And what is the point, dont French, Italians and spanish people speak funny english
Lets leave this bullsh*** alone,

I BET U THAT NIGERIANS SPEAK YUROBA, IBO AND HAUSA Well, lol!!!

English is not Nigerian native language soo allow it, !!!
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by justin04(m): 1:31pm On Sep 28, 2011
Mosque-Muks

Desk- decks

Head -ead

eggs - Heggs
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by martinosi: 1:32pm On Sep 28, 2011
musKeeto:

With regards to pronunciation, what standard of correctness/acceptability do you refer to? The British or American standard?

DUHHH!!!!
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by maclatunji: 1:39pm On Sep 28, 2011
martinosi:

DUHHH!!!! You have no idea

Maybe you schooled in Japan. The British standard obtains in Nigeria.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by donclemo(m): 1:52pm On Sep 28, 2011
@ Poster its good to pronounce words well but my question is which pronunciation do we accept American or British or even Naija
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by maclatunji: 1:58pm On Sep 28, 2011
donclemo:

@ Poster its good to pronounce words well but my question is which pronunciation do we accept American or British or even Naija

Textbook answer: The British standard obtains in Nigeria.

In reality people may speak with American or British pronunciations but this in no way excuses pronouncing 'Ask' 'Axe' and 'Session' 'Section'. I hope you get my point; if you don't, listen to kofi Annan speak. He has no foreign accent but pronounces English words with distinction and dignity (take-that you Pseudo-Afrocentrists)
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by Wallie(m): 1:59pm On Sep 28, 2011
maclatunji:

Your accent is inherently tied to your pronunciation. Your accent is a function of your origin and/or background, and your origin is tied to your dialect which affects the syllables that you stress within a word.

I’m not a linguist but from my observations the two main issues with people of different origins speaking English are (1) stressing the wrong syllable, and (2) wrong pronunciation of a syllable.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by maclatunji: 2:04pm On Sep 28, 2011
Wallie:

Your accent is inherently tied to your pronunciation. Your accent is a function of your origin and/or background, and your origin is tied to your dialect which affects the syllables that you stress within a word.

I’m not a linguist but from my observations the two main issues with people of different origins speaking English are (1) stressing the wrong syllable, and (2) wrong pronunciation of a syllable.

So what happened to Chinua Achebe, Wole Soyinka and Kofi Annan? None has a foreign accent but pronounce English words reasonably well.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by xreal: 2:07pm On Sep 28, 2011
pleasure = pleayure

. . .   irritates me.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by maclatunji: 2:09pm On Sep 28, 2011
xreal:

pleasure = pleayure

. . .   irritates me.

Tell me about it.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by Nobody: 2:16pm On Sep 28, 2011
Pronunciation is one of the most problematic aspect of Nigerian English. The reason being that untill lately, pronunciation was not part of curicullum in our schools, of course you can only give what you have. But beside this, our mother-tongue interference is strong and can not be ignored, studies have shown that every language group in Nigeria do have challenge pronouncing certain sounds, i.e Hausas have the peculiar difficulty of pronouncing 'f' sound, which they usually articulate as 'p', the same goes with an average Yoruba man with difficulty in pronouncing consonant 'z' and will rather articulate same as 's' or 'sh', I could go on with more examples. To overcome this, a learner of English as second language will need ear and vocal training to overcome this.
The solution I will proffer is that children should be exposed very early to correct pronunciation of English especially through their parents and teachers, while adult speakers can listen to audio version  of English dictionary, Encarta has a very good version which I believe will be of help to anyone who desires to have mastery of English pronunciation.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by oyinmama(f): 2:18pm On Sep 28, 2011
^^^ thank you! That is willingness to learn!!!
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by maclatunji: 2:26pm On Sep 28, 2011
oyinmama:

^^^ thank you! That is willingness to learn!!!

Co-sign
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by jayyem(m): 2:47pm On Sep 28, 2011
It always amaze me how we Nigerians keeps making other languages to be superior than ours,whether you like it or not ,you can't do away with intonation.
Consider someone that grew up in lagos state to another who grew up in say ondo or oyo state,not to talk of tribes and least of all mastering a foreign language. And this is one of the major setback affecting our society today,during election campaign in nigeria,politicians will relate with the voters in the local languages but once they get to power they will start blowing grammer. All am saying is that we too should appreciate our own culture and languages just like the indians,chinese etc.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by Wallie(m): 3:17pm On Sep 28, 2011
maclatunji:

So what happened to Chinua Achebe, Wole Soyinka and Kofi Annan? None has a foreign accent but pronounce English words reasonably well.

Are you pointing to the fact that they have somewhat of a neutral accent? That in itself has to do with exposure.

To play devil’s advocate, what do you say about the English language spoken by any of these countries: UK, Australia, and New Zealand? I for one will need to listen very attentively to understand half of what the Brits are saying. What does that say about their accent?

I’m not excusing Nigerians for their shortcomings but their accents and intonations have more to do with their origin than them not learning the “proper” pronunciations. How do you determine what’s “proper” anyway? Is the British way of speaking more “proper” than that of Americans?

I think your focus should be more on grammar as the rules of English language are almost universal.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Sep 28, 2011
maclatunji:

Textbook answer: The British standard obtains in Nigeria.

In reality people may speak with American or British pronunciations but this in no way excuses pronouncing 'Ask' 'Axe' and 'Session' 'Section'.  I hope you get my point; if you don't, listen to kofi Annan speak. He has no foreign accent but pronounces English words with distinction and dignity (take-that you Pseudo-Afrocentrists)

First of all, you can't expect one who grew up in Nigeria to speak like Kofi Annan.

sesandavid:

Pronunciation is one of the most problematic aspect of Nigerian English. The reason being that untill lately, pronunciation was not part of curicullum in our schools, of course you can only give what you have. But beside this, our mother-tongue interference is strong and can not be ignored, studies have shown that every language group in Nigeria do have challenge pronouncing certain sounds, i.e Hausas have the peculiar difficulty of pronouncing 'f' sound, which they usually articulate as 'p', the same goes with an average Yoruba man with difficulty in pronouncing consonant 'z' and will rather articulate same as 's' or 'sh', I could go on with more examples. To overcome this, a learner of English as second language will need ear and vocal training to overcome this.
The solution I will proffer is that children should be exposed very early to correct pronunciation of English especially through their parents and teachers, while adult speakers can listen to audio version  of English dictionary, Encarta has a very good version which I believe will be of help to anyone who desires to have mastery of English pronunciation.

A very good response. I agree that kids should be exposed to English at a young age, but as long as one schools in Nigeria, the multi ethnic environment one lives in would affect him one way or the other. I'm an Igbo boy that grew up in an Ijaw environment, and it took me some time to stop pronouncing church as shhurch,

At least, we speak better grammar compared to some eastern/asian nations. As long as you are understood, that's fine in my books,
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by Nobody: 3:20pm On Sep 28, 2011
Wallie:

Are you pointing to the fact that they have somewhat of a neutral accent? That in itself has to do with exposure.

To play devil’s advocate, what do you say about the English language spoken by any of these countries: UK, Australia, and New Zealand? I for one will need to listen very attentively to understand half of what the Brits are saying. What does that say about their accent?

I’m not excusing Nigerians for their shortcomings but their accents and intonations have more to do with their origin than them not learning the “proper” pronunciations. How do you determine what’s “proper” anyway? Is the British way of speaking more “proper” than that of Americans?

I think your focus should be more on grammar as the rules of English language are almost universal.

A better version of my last post, grin
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by meyri: 3:23pm On Sep 28, 2011
It bc I am Nigerian and I have a freakin accent. What is meant by "proper" pronunciation? According to who, what?
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by dayokanu(m): 3:30pm On Sep 28, 2011
"Axe your mommy"
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by Wallie(m): 3:39pm On Sep 28, 2011
How about pronouncing these words to yourself and see if you won’t end up saying the same pronunciation twice?

Beer
Bear

Their
Dear
Deer
Dare
There
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by Plumkin(f): 3:43pm On Sep 28, 2011
xreal:

pleasure = pleayure

. . .   irritates me.

Yes ooo!
Pleayure, meayure,preyyure
magikshians, musikshians,politiktishians
asshume,conshume closh-up,shoap
mutor car
The list is endless,
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by Wallie(m): 3:53pm On Sep 28, 2011
Plumkin:

Yes ooo!
mutor car
The list is endless,

The pronunciations of magicians, musicians and politicians are actually close to your phonetic spellings except for the "k", at least in the US.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by Plumkin(f): 4:14pm On Sep 28, 2011
Wallie:

The pronunciations of magicians, musicians and politicians are actually close to your phonetic spellings except for the "k", at least in the US.

Interesting. Is there any explanation for the others? Like 'Mutoh car'
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by xreal: 4:48pm On Sep 28, 2011
Plumkin:

Yes ooo!
mutor car
The list is endless,

grin @ bold.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Lost Key / Being A Nigerian- "My Descent Into Savagery" / Life Under The Table (A Complete Novel)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.