Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:30 AM

Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? (26298 Views)

Bound To Fail / 51 Words You Should Know How To Pronounce [part 2] / Suprisingly Common Mispronounced Words And How To Pronounce Them Correctly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by Wallie(m): 4:51pm On Sep 28, 2011
Plumkin:

Interesting. Is there any explanation for the others? Like 'Mutoh car'

With regards to pleasure and measure, I think someone must have told them that the "s" is silent. It is not and should be pronounced as a "z". The "mutor car" pass me o, as I can't even come up with a plausible explanation:-)

Part of our pronunciation problem is that we were taught to pronounce and stress every syllable that we see. Stressing or silencing the wrong part of a syllable is one of the main reasons that English speakers have trouble communicating.

My secretary transcribes my dictations and there are times that I spell out some words because I know she might end up typing something else. For example, if I say “the cosine of the angle is tangential…” she would probably type “the cosign of the angle is tangential…”
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by seyibrown(f): 5:06pm On Sep 28, 2011
Plumkin:

Yes ooo!
Pleayure, meayure,preyyure
magikshians, musikshians,politiktishians
asshume,conshume closh-up,shoap[/b]mutor car
The list is endless,

[b]Some people - accent or not - cannot pronounce 's' and use 'sh' instead! Some also use 'sh' where 's' is appropriate . Some people also cannot pronounce 'r' but use 'l' or 'w' instead! For these people, it is physiological!

I love 'muto car, though! I have always thought it was moto kaaaa until my tisa made me sange my prononsiasion! grin  grin
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by wowo2: 6:01pm On Sep 28, 2011
congrajulation, if someone does not speak a language correctly or fluently, most likely he speaks more than one language, how about that.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by dublinkmy6: 7:49pm On Sep 28, 2011
Iinteresting thread, some of the cause of the pronounciation problem is
1) most Nigerian schools don't teach phonetics & phonology.
2) Nigerians speak more vernacular and native language- English lang. comes last and it is only spoken when desperately needed.
3) Even during schooling hours, vernacular is still the predominant language.
4) Parents, teachers and most people around us speak bad English lang. coupled with very bad pronounciation.
Okay then, let's assume that we manage to pick up one or two corrections in pronounciation from this thread (for example), try speaking it in the presence of your mates or those around you and notice their comments or the type of funny look you would get from them. The problem is now very chronic in 9japle), try speaking it in the presence of your mates or those around you and notice their comments or the type of funny look you would get from them. The problem is now very chronic in 9ja
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by nagoma(m): 9:44pm On Sep 28, 2011
If you accept English as the official language of the country - it shouldn't reeally hurt if you pronounce the words correctly accent or no accent that is ; saying " Axe" when you are actually referring to that cutting implement and don't refer to a table as " dex".
In any case I would love to speak as many languages as possible and I would actually go out of my way to try to and pronounce the words correctly despite accent.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by okusman(m): 9:59pm On Sep 28, 2011
Sounds funny,  i can't believe it that there are still alot of Nigerians out there that couldn't have deep thinking,  how do you expect us to be as perfect as the real speaker/native of the fuckin' English Language? No,  just tell me,  we don't appreciate our things that's why we always waste a lot of money and resources on a minor thing,

Am directing this word to the dude that started this threat,  Can a fuckin' British man pronounce AGBADO or ADIYE ?  so what's your problem? i guess maybe you are one of those dudes that had the opportunity to travel out, now you are back talking poo,  what do you think when a British guy couldn't pass TOEFL exam once? ,  Try to start a new and sensible topic next time,
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by Freesia(f): 10:28pm On Sep 28, 2011
I didn't think the accent and the pronunciation was very much connected until I heard (Scoucer's) or Liverpudlians and (Geordie's) people from Newcastle talking.Both towns are in the North of England,You may not think they are speaking English until you listen attentively,so yes one has to do with the other and of course exposure plays a big role with pronunciation of words
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by coded777: 10:52pm On Sep 28, 2011
How does this thread stabilizes the cost of fuel
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by agibo: 11:16pm On Sep 28, 2011
pls stop complaining, afterall last month cnn listed nigeria as the 6th sexiest accent in the world, be urself, br real, stop forming,
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by Sike(m): 12:01am On Sep 29, 2011
Simply because both ASK, AXE, SESSION and SECTION are not Our language. . .
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by Mrmik(m): 2:29am On Sep 29, 2011
This is an interesting one whereby I believe that the standard of education in the country have devastatingly deteriorated. The teachers of English language do not even understand the use of phonetics provided in the dictionaries and other English books. Thereby can't correct their students on the right pronunciations. Not funny as this may sound; a 29 years old woman I met in Nigeria during a visit not long ago surprised me by telling me she thought a stiff Pen** had a bone in it. I almost lost my breath. Guess what she has an HND. HELP me on this if you are only concerned with difficult thing like pronunciation.
Overall I believe the country have a very poor edu-standard.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by sebastinta(m): 4:34am On Sep 29, 2011
musKeeto:

First of all, you can't expect one who grew up in Nigeria to speak like Kofi Annan.

A very good response. I agree that kids should be exposed to English at a young age, but as long as one schools in Nigeria, the multi ethnic environment one lives in would affect him one way or the other. I'm an Igbo boy that grew up in an Ijaw environment, and it took me some time to stop pronouncing church as shhurch,

At least, we speak better grammar compared to some eastern/asian nations. As long as you are understood, that's fine in my books,

FOOOOOL!, "MAMC -Must All Mugu Comment" i fink dat should be u, u fink b4 u write or dont write at all MUMU
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by Goldpeas(m): 7:30am On Sep 29, 2011
[i][/i]Seriously Speaking, This Is My First Time Hearing Most Men Says ''AXE'' Instead of 'ASK' And 'Section' Instead of 'Session',

This Is A Funny One,
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by agitator: 7:35am On Sep 29, 2011
Wallie you are very correct that phonetics and correct pronunciation are not taught in most of the public schools. I only learnt a single 's' between vowels is pronuonced 'z' in SSS3 and we were even taught by a NYSC corper.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by cheikh: 12:21pm On Sep 29, 2011
@ topic, grin It's a meaningless thread. I guess you find French and Italian speakers with their "forked' tongue, acceptable and sexy too shocked grin. The things we do to ourselves is amazing. embarassed
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by saintfrank(m): 12:47pm On Sep 29, 2011
U guy's should get a better job!!! shocked shocked shocked I guess this is the list of the problem we're having in 9ja
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by justin04(m): 1:56pm On Sep 29, 2011
[U guy's should get a better job!!! I guess this is the li[s][/s]st of the problem we're having in 9ja]

Exactly what the thread is about, when you say list and not least.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by tolket(f): 4:28pm On Sep 29, 2011
justin04:

[U guy's should get a better job!!!    I guess this is the li[s][/s]st of the problem we're having in 9ja]

Exactly what the thread is about, when you say list and not least.

smiley and then "u guy's". Crap.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by Kol: 4:46pm On Sep 29, 2011
There are a number of reasons people pronounce things the way they do, accent is the major reason,

With particular reference to Nigeria and African countries in general, English Language is not thought properly (I should actually say , at all).

Nigerians do not know any thing about phonetics which should part of the syllabus for all levels starting from elementary schools,

There are simply no English teachers in Nigeria. The teachers available also passed through the same horrible education system which is obviously dead. The bad news is they (the English) have no clue about their deficiencies as they all were taught with the various horrible English accents available everywhere in Nigeria.

It is a sorry situation. Axe, Ask, section, session, acid and akcid etc, lol
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by Nobody: 6:10pm On Sep 29, 2011
Kol:

It is a sorry situation. Axe, Ask, section, session, acid and akcid etc, lol

don't worry, we'll enyure that they're thought properly grin grin

sebastinta:

FOOOOOL!, "MAMC -Must All Mugu Comment" i fink dat should be u, u fink b4 u write or dont write at all MUMU
lol, person wey dey complain dey write think as fink, u see as u useful reach, cheesy
quit embarrassing yourself, man kuta
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by Nobody: 6:37pm On Sep 29, 2011
Most of the fellas up in here can't string one flawless sentence so before you post anything here, you better scrutinize your wimpy asses. I already spotted someone use 'consign' rather than 'concern' and am utterly appalled. For the records, let me chip something in; do you all know that it's common place for people in this country to say 'expaNtiate' rather than 'expatiate'? If you've studied English for as much as 6 primary schools years in addition to 6 more secondary school years, there are mistakes that are just unforgivable; whether you're Brits or not.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by eros(m): 7:48pm On Sep 29, 2011
Dumb thread angry angry angry angry
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by Zigg(f): 8:41pm On Sep 29, 2011
Nah, I wont call it a dumb thread. Nigerians should be able to speak good English because it's our lingua franca, but we just go about shooting bullets and can never be bothered.

It's not about speaking "FONNE" o! That will be trying to form, especially when you don't have it naturally.

Secondly, mother tongue; yes it does have a great influence on our pronunciation skills, especially when you happen to grow up in your own local environment (although some pesin no they try at all!)

We may not be able to speak Fonne and we may have the mother tongue interference, but for Cripes sakes why can't we make an effort to pronounce words correctly and construct better sentences? That's why you have a dictionary, isn't it? it helps you with pronunciation as well! Some of our parents and Fore-fathers spoke better English than we do these days. I concur with an earlier replier who said it's non-cha-lance and ignorance on our part. like some persons will pronounce "heard" as "Hiard" (Haba!)
"
I once listened to a Mechanical Engineering graduate (BSC) on who wants to be millionaire who didn't know what "Family Tree" was! Very shameful if you ask me. sad Even Frank felt like beating the guy up! Who doesn't like to be around Guys and ladies that speak good English and pronounce words well? I'm sure we are usually impressed by Frank Idoho and other Nigerians with good command of English when we see them on T.V.

It's not to speak big big grammar that is difficult to understand even by the speaker o!, but to be able to pronounce, construct correctly and know the meaning of the the little you know how to speak. Finish!
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by tsadiq(m): 10:24pm On Sep 29, 2011
English is not the mothertongue of any body in nigeria. Therefore nobody is perfect in english and is going to be.
Ridiculous !.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by numanu(m): 8:16am On Sep 30, 2011
The main difficult among difficulties about the poor English pronounciation in Nigeria is the influence of our Mothertongues. Then is also observed that lack of paying good attention on ''Intonations of English language patterns'' and so forths.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by maclatunji: 9:14am On Sep 30, 2011
Zigg:

Nah, I wont call it a dumb thread. Nigerians should be able to speak good English because it's our lingua franca, but we just go about shooting bullets and can never be bothered.

It's not about speaking "FONNE" o! That will be trying to form, especially when you don't have it naturally.

Secondly, mother tongue; yes it does have a great influence on our pronunciation skills, especially when you happen to grow up in your own local environment (although some pesin no they try at all!)

We may not be able to speak Fonne and we may have the mother tongue interference, but for Cripes sakes why can't we make an effort to pronounce words correctly and construct better sentences? That's why you have a dictionary, isn't it? it helps you with pronunciation as well! Some of our parents and Fore-fathers spoke better English than we do these days. I concur with an earlier replier who said it's non-cha-lance and ignorance on our part. like some persons will pronounce "heard" as "Hiard" (Haba!)
"
I once listened to a Mechanical Engineering graduate (BSC) on who wants to be millionaire who didn't know what "Family Tree" was! Very shameful if you ask me. sad Even Frank felt like beating the guy up! Who doesn't like to be around Guys and ladies that speak good English and pronounce words well? I'm sure we are usually impressed by Frank Idoho and other Nigerians with good command of English when we see them on T.V.

It's not to speak big big grammar that is difficult to understand even by the speaker o!, but to be able to pronounce, construct correctly and know the meaning of the the little you know how to speak. Finish!

More blessing madam.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by sebastinta(m): 6:22pm On Sep 30, 2011
musKeeto:

don't worry, we'll enyure that they're thought properly grin grin
lol, person wey dey complain dey write think as fink, u see as u useful reach, cheesy
quit embarrassing yourself, man kuta

pointless point, listening to urself once in ur life time
short forms of word can b used, moreova am just trying to teach pple like u how to pronounce sum few words, u can "fank" me later wink

am sure u r having a bad day, dat aint my fault
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by donem: 9:33pm On Oct 01, 2011
most of the examples cited here to be frank are totally dumb once which are rarely made by most nigerians while some of the examples are purely for comic purposes by wannabe comedians.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by whitezion: 10:16am On Feb 03, 2013
Nigerians are better Nigerians at things like these... There you'll see their true colour. cool
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by davseun2ta(m): 8:49am On Jun 26, 2013
I have followed this trend to this point.Reading comments: the good,the bad and the ugly.But one thing i am yet to be cleared about is the sole aim of this trend.Is it the wrong pronunciation or wrong use of English that has prompted this trend? Anyway, which ever it is,its not an excuse though for us Nigerians to celebrate mediocrity!

Obviously,we are in a country were everything goes.Our politicians make erroneous speeches during and after election,yet nobody has been able to question their certificates,because we are all faulted.Here are some highlights of the blunders made on National TV;

shem: the site we are going to use can only be made known by my oga at the top

First lady:My fellow widows, Dime Ojukwu was a great man,though he is dead now,but his manhood lives forever....

Yet another one:
first lady: i'l rather kill myself than commit sucide

the list is endless....

What about our Journalist reporting that "ammunitions were recovered from the robbers".

I am of the opinion that if we must imitate the white,lets do it well.
Imagine me talking to a secondary school student,I said "....It is I who am talking to you"...and the student started laughing that i was wrong!!! Mediocrity in spoken and written English is now d order of the day in Nigeria..Only if the few that knowns the truth do not compromise their stand to do it right(@list for once in this country)
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? by ajamuadedayo: 11:44am On Jan 10, 2016
Then leave this country for us and go to where they pronounce perfectly. English is not my language so what the heck
maclatunji:

I know, but there is no excuse for the two I posted. I can understand if your local dialect corrupts your pronunciation but there is no 'X' in Yoruba for example so why pronounce 'Ask' as 'Axe'. You obviously have 'SH' sound in Yoruba; why in the world would you call 'Section' instead of 'Session'? It is just laziness and mass-ignorance that pervades our land- it really irritates me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Being A Nigerian- "My Descent Into Savagery" / The Lost Key / Life Under The Table (A Complete Novel)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.