Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,371 members, 7,861,023 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 09:16 PM

Is It Okay To Let Your Fiancée Know Your Monthly Salary Range? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Okay To Let Your Fiancée Know Your Monthly Salary Range? (17249 Views)

How I Spend My 63k Monthly Salary Yet I Am Tagged A Bad Boyfriend / How My Monthly Salary Is Used On Foodstuff Only / What Was Your Monthly Income When You Married? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Okay To Let Your Fiancée Know Your Monthly Salary Range? by kwasoly(m): 8:28pm On May 19, 2023
babaYIBO:
I’ve been dating this girl since early last year when I was still serving and she’s really into me. She doesn’t bill me unless I purposely send her something. And we occasionally hangout a lot too.

By mid last year, I brought her home to meet my mum and some of my siblings. My mum likes her so much and she would spend time with me in our house.

I finished my service around September last year, and I started hunting for job. I was taking online classes etc..

So I got a job earlier this year, and the pay isn’t bad. Only my mum knows how much I’m earning and few friends. My girl doesn’t know.

Now, I’m likely to be getting a pay rise this month.

I’m also planning to get married to this girl next year, hopefully, she’s been a good girl even when I was jobless.

I don’t know if it’s okay to let her know my salary range. Although I’d not be telling her specifically the amount.

Is this a good idea?

How old are you?
Re: Is It Okay To Let Your Fiancée Know Your Monthly Salary Range? by Sirchiboy: 8:58pm On May 19, 2023
babaYIBO:
I’ve been dating this girl since early last year when I was still serving and she’s really into me. She doesn’t bill me unless I purposely send her something. And we occasionally hangout a lot too.

By mid last year, I brought her home to meet my mum and some of my siblings. My mum likes her so much and she would spend time with me in our house.

I finished my service around September last year, and I started hunting for job. I was taking online classes etc..

So I got a job earlier this year, and the pay isn’t bad. Only my mum knows how much I’m earning and few friends. My girl doesn’t know.

I’m also planning to get married to this girl next year, hopefully, she’s been a good girl even when I was jobless.

I don’t know if it’s okay to let her know my salary range. Although I’d not be telling her specifically the amount.

Is this a good idea?
How old are you now?
Re: Is It Okay To Let Your Fiancée Know Your Monthly Salary Range? by intruder15(m): 9:29pm On May 19, 2023
babaYIBO:

Is this a good idea?

Let it flow. What do I mean?
Does she ask you about your finances from a potential billing perspective? I guess not based on what you described of her.
Women that naturally bill you will bill you more when they know you earn more.
Women that naturally don't bill you won't feel any different if they knew you were earning more.
Several things works for several people. Each have it's pros and cons which are heavily dependent on the parties involved.
Hence, follow your heart taking into consideration;
* Her financial meticulousness
* Your financial meticulousness
* Her billing tendencies
* Your extravagant spending tendencies.
Re: Is It Okay To Let Your Fiancée Know Your Monthly Salary Range? by Karlifate: 10:04pm On May 19, 2023
ibechris:
Marriage shouldn't be the first man,first of all save and invest some money.

U started work this year and u have started talking about marriage.

I wish u the best but remember,marriage and family have its own financial implications and can make one depressed if u don't plan well.

Better gather yourself well and don't marry a woman who has nothing doing.

All the best.

Once a guy feels he can buy 3-square meals, the next thing he thinks about is marriage. grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Okay To Let Your Fiancée Know Your Monthly Salary Range? by Freelancerr(m): 10:28pm On May 19, 2023
If she didn't ask, don't tell her!
Re: Is It Okay To Let Your Fiancée Know Your Monthly Salary Range? by professore(m): 10:54pm On May 19, 2023
Jennyclay:
Biko let her know your salary so that she can know if the future is bright for her or not.

Is not as if you’re earning millions of naira monthly undecided. I’m absolutely sure you’re not even earning common 100k monthly. Biko don’t come and put someone’s daughter in abject poverty!!

My nobody wants to settle for less my dear!!
you are just making someone like you, yet you won't reply.
Re: Is It Okay To Let Your Fiancée Know Your Monthly Salary Range? by Blackdisciple(m): 11:04pm On May 19, 2023
She knows or not I don't care if I will do anything I will do it and if I will not then she can't force me besides Na me dey wake up early go hustle for the raba no be she.
Re: Is It Okay To Let Your Fiancée Know Your Monthly Salary Range? by godwinstringed1(m): 11:08pm On May 19, 2023
Jennyclay:
Biko let her know your salary so that she can know if the future is bright for her or not.

Is not as if you’re earning millions of naira monthly undecided. I’m absolutely sure you’re not even earning common 100k monthly. Biko don’t come and put someone’s daughter in abject poverty!!

I don't comment on NL, but I've been noticing some of your insensitive takes to pressing matters. She shouldn't settle for less. Look at your reasoning, you too hear yourself.

You have zero needs to appeal your low-thinking aura and expectations on what he earns. That's how we harm potential green relationships. Someone doing an international remote job is earning 100k. You probably have zero ideas what a cool digital skill like he describes remunerates per month. Just shut up.
Re: Is It Okay To Let Your Fiancée Know Your Monthly Salary Range? by professore(m): 11:40pm On May 19, 2023
Cutehector:
Funny enough its only jobless ladies that are mindful of what a guy earns.
angry see finishing
Re: Is It Okay To Let Your Fiancée Know Your Monthly Salary Range? by Coolgent(m): 11:41pm On May 19, 2023
silverkings:

God bless you.
Amin Bro.
God bless you too
Re: Is It Okay To Let Your Fiancée Know Your Monthly Salary Range? by Xylon: 12:58am On May 20, 2023
ERCROSS:

I wonder who are the mumu liking this dumboh post
grin grin E no tire you?? 27 dumbasses!!
Re: Is It Okay To Let Your Fiancée Know Your Monthly Salary Range? by Xylon: 1:03am On May 20, 2023
Jennyclay:

Who do you like this?? Small play you begin dey attack the guy. You need to heal, seriously!!!
Re: Is It Okay To Let Your Fiancée Know Your Monthly Salary Range? by xamodans: 4:01am On May 20, 2023
I think you shouldn't expose such to her for now.Save and invest, venture into very good business and get financially stable for marriage first, cause marriage is a very different game from singlehood.. Fine, she's not asking because she knows you didn't have, but when she knows you have she will definitely ask cause she needs things to settle, and that isn't wrong brother..

babaYIBO:

Is this a good idea?
Re: Is It Okay To Let Your Fiancée Know Your Monthly Salary Range? by adeememman(m): 4:40am On May 20, 2023
What is a fiancee? If you say wife now, I can still give you 50% go ahead so far you know hers and she's very supportive so you can both plan well for future. Even at that you must create some extra source of income to avoid see finish. There is this adage I will try translate( A man must always have extra for emergencies if you want your woman to respect you).
You can disclose but try get some side hustles that can bring some change, save that as security or for plan B in case of unforseen.

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay To Let Your Fiancée Know Your Monthly Salary Range? by deltateam: 5:25am On May 20, 2023
babaYIBO:

Is this a good idea?

It's a good thing she didn't ask you so why do you want to create problems for yourself?

By the time she starts comparing things you buy for her with your salary you'll say Nigerian girls are greedy.

1 Like

Re: Is It Okay To Let Your Fiancée Know Your Monthly Salary Range? by Mjshexy(f): 5:40am On May 20, 2023
When you guys are finally married you can, it's not a bad idea. Not only did my mum know my late dad's Monthly income, we the children also did. It's just a simple world and we don't have to make it harder for ourselves
Re: Is It Okay To Let Your Fiancée Know Your Monthly Salary Range? by stanisbaratheon: 6:41am On May 20, 2023
babaYIBO:

I finished schooling close to 30.

Two of my younger siblings are are married. The pressure to do something is mounting on me.

Even if it’s not now or next year. I need to start thinking bout it from now.

Thanks

Don't let other people's expectations put you in a tight corner.

Most people where I work are married and for that reason some of them are subliminally taunting me to go and get married, including my manager. I always laugh.

If you get married and run into trouble nobody will help you oh. So just do your thing when you are ready and don't give into that pressure of getting married because you are 30 something.
Re: Is It Okay To Let Your Fiancée Know Your Monthly Salary Range? by Godsongang: 7:45am On May 20, 2023
it your choice and whatever comes out of it, be ready to face.
Re: Is It Okay To Let Your Fiancée Know Your Monthly Salary Range? by DMCY: 10:03am On May 20, 2023
babaYIBO:

Is this a good idea?

There’s a reason men are always told not to let women know all their forms of income😂. Hopefully you tell her how much you earn so you can learn the hard way. After all they say experience is the best teacher lol
Re: Is It Okay To Let Your Fiancée Know Your Monthly Salary Range? by Odogwupedro(m): 1:26pm On May 20, 2023
Jennyclay:

Why are you taking this personally.
Re: Is It Okay To Let Your Fiancée Know Your Monthly Salary Range? by robbase: 1:52pm On May 20, 2023
You try that, and you are in for troubles; even your wife shouldn't know.
Re: Is It Okay To Let Your Fiancée Know Your Monthly Salary Range? by Thomasankara(m): 5:04pm On May 20, 2023
cheesy grin[/color] she's a comedian,i guess she doesn't see herself like a human who's capable of determining her future,maybe she see her future clutched to a man, she's like a pet own by her master[color=#770077]
LivingSage:
Dey wait for who go come save you from poverty.

Re: Is It Okay To Let Your Fiancée Know Your Monthly Salary Range? by Thomasankara(m): 5:06pm On May 20, 2023
[/color] that's the power of social media,it validate nonsense and suspends critical and independent reasoning [color=#770077]
ERCROSS:

I wonder who are the mumu liking this dumboh post
Re: Is It Okay To Let Your Fiancée Know Your Monthly Salary Range? by Jollymich(m): 6:47pm On May 20, 2023
You No no dey disappoint
Re: Is It Okay To Let Your Fiancée Know Your Monthly Salary Range? by placeofallure(f): 7:52pm On May 20, 2023
In family affairs, there's no one-size-fits-all anywhere because what works for 'A' may not work for 'B' Hubby and I don't hide anything from each other. I know what he's worth and he knows mine too. I think he's convenient doing that because he knows I'm not a spendthrift you. We only do the necessary things, no frivolities. I like people who are responsible around money. It's a great asset.
Re: Is It Okay To Let Your Fiancée Know Your Monthly Salary Range? by PeterObi4LP: 9:07pm On May 20, 2023
silverkings:
My girl knows what I earn... My first job immediately after service year she know what i earn.... A week today my appointment letter came in she knew about my salary.... Is their anything wrong with that??

Nothing is wrong with that.
Re: Is It Okay To Let Your Fiancée Know Your Monthly Salary Range? by tosinhtml: 10:31am On May 21, 2023
ibkayee:
Intentionally keeping your salary a secret from your fiancé/spouse is something I've only come across in Nigerian spaces and maybe it's just a cultural thing I will never understand and that's fine, but I find it weird.

The West have more of a credit culture where couples are more likely to be involved in binding financial agreements with legal implications so they're more compelled to be privy to each other's finances. E.g. when getting a loan for a mortgage the lender will calculate how much they're willing to give you based on the household income etc. so of course I need to know what you earn just from a practical point of view. Whereas, in Nigeria things tend to be paid in full?

I guess I understand why it may not be as common in Nigeria but I find it weird when it's intentionally hidden, even if only one person is paying the mortgage lol. If they just didn't ever ask or it just never came up in conversation that's fair, but it's the intentional awkwardness/secrecy that's strange to me

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Okay To Let Your Fiancée Know Your Monthly Salary Range? by Chidolalar: 12:03pm On May 22, 2023
stanisbaratheon:

Don't let other people's expectations put you in a tight corner.

Most people where I work are married and for that reason some of them are subliminally taunting me to go and get married, including my manager. I always laugh.

If you get married and run into trouble nobody will help you oh. So just do your thing when you are ready and don't give into that pressure of getting married because you are 30 something.

My exact thoughts!
When u have problem nobody will be ready to assist u but they will be d one to pressurize that person to get married.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Proud Dad / Bitter Kola For Babies / My Wife Is Driving Me Nuts: Doesn't Want A New Baby

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.