Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,576 members, 7,823,499 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:58 AM

Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? (19017 Views)

London Court Jails Nigerian Three Years For Flogging Son / Ogidi Youths Flog Man After He Was Filmed Flogging, Boxing, And Kicking His Mom / R-kelly Saga And The Role Of Good Parenting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by donb06: 11:53am On May 18, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1. I didn't ask you of your private suggestion regarding what you call herbs or vegetables. I asked you whether the end result would not have been similar.. undecided

2. You were flogged primarily because your mother and your father believed flogging was the only capable option there was. Generations before them were fed that tale as well that flogging was the best option. But here I asked you of another option that could have aided and you seem unable to process it. undecided

3. Flogging may not have been needed at all. That reset that flogging gives a child comes at a cost. Look around Nigeria, and all of Africa, to see that cost. undecided

4. If your mother had not only studied you but also studied other ways to get to you, she wouldn't have needed to flog at all as she would have realized that even for the most stubborn, there are alternative ways to reach the child without needing to damage his or her will. undecided

I think you're going to the extreme. I also think you've not come to the realization of human complexities.

Your point 2 is so baseless cos my parents related to every of their children accordingly. For some they talked more, to some they withheld lunch ( that's my younger brother.) He so much likes food. That was his main punishment. To me if you like kneel me down for hours. Witholding my lunch was the worst, I could steal my classmates food. And I'm very grateful to my mum for straightening me up for life. She did it with patience and love she never flogged with hatred or was malicious about it.

And what's wrong with Africa. Africa started loosing it when we started copying the WEST.
Your last paragraph is the problem. Parents have been psychologically manipulated by children and society to the point of reducing the law of degree of consequences. This your mindset is what a neighbor had until when her 10year son started peeping ladies while bathing in their flats. she didn't know when she used garri turner to break his head. Check out all these wife and women beaters in the society, they're always this spoilt and and over pampered only sons that there mothers never instilled discipline into them.

The day I held my mum and kissed her was when I saw some of my childhood friends she flogged me from. none of them amounted to anything, some has been killed due to cultism. especially Charles ( that boy nearly made me to hate my mom) he was never disciplined by his mom cos he was the only son.

Any of my children I notice my childhood traits on. Oh God.... I will lovingly, patiently with prayers and love Discipline that child till the best comes out from him
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by Kobojunkie: 11:59am On May 18, 2023
donb06:
I think you're going to the extreme. I also think you've not come to the realization of human complexities.
■ Your point 2 is so baseless cos my parents related to every of their children accordingly. For some they talked more, to some they withheld lunch ( that's my younger brother.) He so much likes food. That was his main punishment. To me if you like kneel me down for hours. Witholding my lunch was the worst, I could steal my classmates food. And I'm very grateful to my mum for straightening me up for life. She did it with patience and love she never flogged with hatred or was malicious about it.
■ And what's wrong with Africa. Africa started loosing it when we started copying the WEST.
Your last
1. What extremes? What human complexities? undecided

2. Withheld lunch? Kneel you down for hours? undecided

3. So every other continent that did same didn't looks, only Africa did, how come? undecided
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by being(m): 12:09pm On May 18, 2023
Kobojunkie:
It is everywhere you look. undecided
Pls point it out
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by Kobojunkie: 12:13pm On May 18, 2023
being:

Pls point it out
The general lack of discipline In society for one. Isn't that majorly why even law enforcement still resorts to flogging residents in order to get them to act appropriately? undecided
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by being(m): 12:14pm On May 18, 2023
Is this just in Nigeria or Africa as a whole?
Kobojunkie:
The general lack of discipline In society for one. Isn't that majorly why even law enforcement still resorts to flogging residents in order to get them to act appropriately? undecided
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by donb06: 12:22pm On May 18, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1. What extremes? What human complexities? undecided

2. Withheld lunch? Kneel you down for hours? undecided

3. So every other continent that did same didn't looks, only Africa did, how come? undecided

Africa is the only continent the west didn't invest in. They invested in South Korea, invested heavily in china, invested heavily in Singapore, invested heavily in India. While Africans were seen as subhumans meant only for slavery.
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by Staphylococcus: 12:32pm On May 18, 2023
wehdone:

We got a call from school, my boy went under the desk and was peeping at girls' underpants. We spoke to him, adviced him, but didn't flog him. He stopped. But 3months later, he repeated same. This time, I flogged him very well... It's 6months already or so, and no such reports again.

Those that don't want to flog their kids to correct them for serious offences should know that the child would blame them tomorrow when they turn out bad.

There are offences that can be settled by conversations, advices and talks. Some can be corrected by grounding, taking away certain rights (like no TV for 2 weeks), limiting food (like... No lunch for you for 3 days; just breakfast and dinner, etc), limiting play times, etc. But there are some offences that really need the kid to be flogged and flogged very good. Else, that child would be damaged for life!!!

A former neighbour had a son (for another man) before her marriage. She had a daughter for her husband (her 2nd child for her husband). One day, she saw the older boy (9 years or so) playing with the little girl's privates. Well... The mother did not tell her husband (the girl's father), and she did not advice the boy. She did not wait to even tell his uncle whom she usually reports him to... She flogged him till he peed his trousers. If you don't flog such demons out of the kids, they'll become a menace to the society. Damaged for life.

From the Bible:
Those who spare the rod hate their children, but those who love them are diligent to discipline them. (Proverbs 13:24)

Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him. (Proverbs 22:15)

That’s an African parent.

First strike and the next will be flogging.

Kudos! I love your approach. That’s the way it should be
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by wehdone(m): 12:33pm On May 18, 2023
Samantha124:
You already have 3 kids? Damn you're old.. grin grin grin.. Some of us only have 2 cats and no kids yet.. grin grin grin.. Come to think of it, I still have a long way to go..😂😂😂

But I think it has everything to do with one's personality and level of self control... Some kids have been getting flogged by their parents from a very age against certain bad things that they might've done or attempted to do, but they'd still go ahead and do those things until they're old enough to fight back, they become accustomed to their parents' flogging... I've seen such kids before... Same thing goes with those like me who haven't been flogged by their parents at home.

Some will decide not to listen to their parents' advice no matter how much the parents may advice them.

So, it all boils down to one's personality and level of self control.

2 cats? Please add a dog to the mix... You'll enjoy it. If you're in Abuja, I'll take care of the puppy till he's gotten all his early-age shots at 50% discount. **Just for you**

I'm really not old; just a little over 30 cheesy cheesy.

About kids, I'll say you talk with them first. Then if they refuse to listen, you use your slippers, or belt. If you're a Christian, you'll have to follow the scriptures. Spare the rod and spoil the child! There are some offences that cannot be corrected by talks. You flog the demon out of the child, else he'll grow up to become a manace to the society.

One of my kids would always use whatever he has on his hand to hit his brothers or anyone that makes him angry. Well... We initially thought it was just childish tantrums, and just talked with him and advice him; until he hit an elder. That day, his mom gave him some beatings, and told him she'll report to me when I returned. Well, I returned and added some punishment to the mix. He hasn't done same ever since, even to his age mates!
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by Nobody: 12:51pm On May 18, 2023
Doing a discount just for me? How would your wife feel about that?

I was a naughty and curious child too.. I am still curious, don't ever tell me not to do something without giving me a valid reason because I surely am going to do it, but I never liked using violence even from when I was young.

I guess I was never possessed by any demon.. grin grin grin
wehdone:

2 cats? Please add a dog to the mix... You'll enjoy it. If you're in Abuja, I'll take care of the puppy till he's gotten all his early-age shots at 50% discount. **Just for you**

I'm really not old; just a little over 30 cheesy cheesy.

About kids, I'll say you talk with them first. Then if they refuse to listen, you use your slippers, or belt. If you're a Christian, you'll have to follow the scriptures. Spare the rod and spoil the child! There are some offences that cannot be corrected by talks. You flog the demon out of the child, else he'll grow up to become a manace to the society.

One of my kids would always use whatever he has on his hand to hit his brothers or anyone that makes him angry. Well... We initially thought it was just childish tantrums, and just talked with him and advice him; until he hit an elder. That day, his mom gave him some beatings, and told him she'll report to me when I returned. Well, I returned and added some punishment to the mix. He hasn't done same ever since, even to his age mates!
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by Kobojunkie: 1:19pm On May 18, 2023
donb06:
■ Africa is the only continent the west didn't invest in. They invested in South Korea, invested heavily in china, invested heavily in Singapore, invested heavily in India. While Africans were seen as subhumans meant only for slavery.
Well,I will exit the conversation at this point abeg. undecided
Re: Is Flogging A Part Of Good Parenting ? by Femi8586(m): 9:32am On May 21, 2023
Benjaniblinks:

But the underage boy flogged on the ass is okay right?

He's a simp.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

“domestic Violence Can’t Be Cured” – Woman As She Walks Out Of Her Marriage / Why Do Most Single Ladies Get Angry When Addressed As 'ma' / What's The Obsession With Male Children About In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.