Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,948 members, 7,845,054 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 11:45 AM

HELP!!! I Blew My Car's Top Gasket. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / HELP!!! I Blew My Car's Top Gasket. (1541 Views)

Dangers Of Changing Top Gasket In 2gr Engine / My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday / Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

HELP!!! I Blew My Car's Top Gasket. by jnrcess(m): 4:28am On May 17, 2023
Fellow NL's, I currently feel devastated. I bought my first car ever in February, an Hyundai Elantra 2015. I passed by a bad spot sometime last week and after driving for over an hour with the AC on, I noticed steam was coming from my engine. To cut the story short, my electrician discovered my radiator fan was disconnected as a result of the bad spot.

Fast forward to yesterday, the fan stopped working again and I didn't notice until the car went off. Since I am inexperienced, I tried putting on the car again, and it went off after a couple of seconds. I put off the AC and drove down to a mechanic workshop, on getting there they told me the top gasket is gone.

Please is this a big deal? The car's engine has never been tempered with. As a matter of fact there is no check engine light on my dashboard.

If repaired, will the car still drive normally or I should expect a drop in performance?

Please help me, I am totally inexperienced, and I just want to know what to expect.

PS: on getting to the mechanic shop, they put so much water in the radiator, and started the car, after a short while the water was bubbling and forcing it's way through the coolant tank.
Re: HELP!!! I Blew My Car's Top Gasket. by Dozieson(m): 4:57am On May 17, 2023
jnrcess:
Fellow NL's, I currently feel devastated. I bought my first car ever in February, an Hyundai Elantra 2015. I passed by a bad spot sometime last week and after driving for over an hour with the AC on, I noticed steam was coming from my engine. To cut the story short, my electrician discovered my radiator fan was disconnected as a result of the bad spot.

Fast forward to yesterday, the fan stopped working again and I didn't notice until the car went off. Since I am inexperienced, I tried putting on the car again, and it went off after a couple of seconds. I put off the AC and drove down to a mechanic workshop, on getting there they told me the top gasket is gone.

Please is this a big deal? The car's engine has never been tempered with. As a matter of fact there is no check engine light on my dashboard.

If repaired, will the car still drive normally or I should expect a drop in performance?

Please help me, I am totally inexperienced, and I just want to know what to expect.

PS: on getting to the mechanic shop, they put so much water in the radiator, and started the car, after a short while the water was bubbling and forcing it's way through the coolant tank.

My guy please don't give it to anyhow toad side mechanic. This car engine is almost 1m. If you are in Lagos contact gazzuzz or kingreign in Abuja or Mr ford in PH

5 Likes

Re: HELP!!! I Blew My Car's Top Gasket. by sunnymighty(m): 5:43am On May 17, 2023
Dozieson:

My guy please don't give it to anyhow toad side mechanic. This car engine is almost 1m. If you are in Lagos contact gazzuzz or kingreign in Abuja or Mr ford in PH

God bless you for being a blessing to alot of newbies here, I can relate.

1 Like

Re: HELP!!! I Blew My Car's Top Gasket. by Dozieson(m): 7:02am On May 17, 2023
sunnymighty:

God bless you for being a blessing to alot of newbies here, I can relate.

Amen. Thanks Bro. Car repairs are very expensive so we just have to help so as to minimize people's cost and troubles
Re: HELP!!! I Blew My Car's Top Gasket. by jnrcess(m): 7:15am On May 17, 2023
Dozieson:

Thanks for your response, unfortunately I'm in Calabar.
Re: HELP!!! I Blew My Car's Top Gasket. by ayanjamz: 7:35am On May 17, 2023
Let me help u based on my experience, first thing is to take the car to a mechanic where they can do a compression/pressure test to know if there is leakages in the cooling system, somewhere not visible to u. secondly, check if the radiator fan is connected directly or indirectly ( and check if it is working at all ) . Thirdly, check if Ur thermostat is working ( not stucked) and some other things before thinking of the gasket ... Not all overheating be gasket ooo.

1 Like

Re: HELP!!! I Blew My Car's Top Gasket. by diportivo: 7:38am On May 17, 2023
ayanjamz:
Let me help u based on my experience, first thing is to take the car to a mechanic where they can do a compression/pressure test to know if there is leakages in the cooling system, somewhere not visible to u. secondly, check if the radiator fan is connected directly or indirectly ( and check if it is working at all ) . Thirdly, check if Ur thermostat is working ( not stucked) and some other things before thinking of the gasket ... Not all overheating be gasket ooo.

6 Likes

Re: HELP!!! I Blew My Car's Top Gasket. by easytig(m): 8:30am On May 17, 2023
Hmmm,one major rule while driving is to glance at the instrument cluster,definitely your temperature gauge was rising above normal, which implies something was not right,but you didn't take notice,but you kept firing the engine,now the deed is done.you will spend money sha,just find a mechanic that know his onions so that he will return the car to status quo quick
Re: HELP!!! I Blew My Car's Top Gasket. by easytig(m): 8:40am On May 17, 2023
You elantra might be low on coolant, topping it with one litre of original coolant of( 3500) would have save you all these wahala in the first place, when you're looking at your fuel gauge,you should look at your temp guage too,any slight increase should set alarm bell ringing in your head.just get familiar with all the indicators on the cluster as soon as possible.
jnrcess:

Re: HELP!!! I Blew My Car's Top Gasket. by Angrygoat: 9:31am On May 17, 2023
Buy another engine. I can rem when my car overheated abt 2years back,just like u I waited for 30mins,topped up the radiator and zooooom,my car took me home. However I noticed I had to keep filling up radiator every 2days,ran to mechanic thoseones damaged more sensors,they did the job but engine never remained the same. Best advice,buy toks engine. Una engine no cost,highest 500 750k. My own guage doesn't exceed 3pins it exceeded 5pins abt 6days ago I didn't know the coolant I bought was fake,so error codes kept showing coolant insufficient. Best way is to always watch your guage and degrees. As fron 2pm when sun don over hot and temperature dey read 95°F , watch your guage while AC is on. If e dey rise. E don be
Re: HELP!!! I Blew My Car's Top Gasket. by Dozieson(m): 9:45am On May 17, 2023
jnrcess:

Thanks for your response, unfortunately I'm in Calabar.

Try and contact Mr ford. He is PH. He will be of great help

Search him up on nairaland
Re: HELP!!! I Blew My Car's Top Gasket. by Itsrm(m): 10:24pm On May 17, 2023
easytig:
Hmmm,one major rule while driving is to glance at the instrument cluster,definitely your temperature gauge was rising above normal, which implies something was not right,but you didn't take notice,but you kept firing the engine,now the deed is done.you will spend money sha,just find a mechanic that know his onions so that he will return the car to status quo quick

Wrong. Your engine can overheat without your temperature gauge moving an inch if you experience rapid coolant loss.

2 Likes

Re: HELP!!! I Blew My Car's Top Gasket. by diportivo: 3:02pm On May 18, 2023
Itsrm:

Wrong. Your engine can overheat without your temperature gauge moving an inch if you experience rapid coolant loss.

Re: HELP!!! I Blew My Car's Top Gasket. by Itsrm(m): 3:24pm On May 18, 2023
diportivo:

As usual, when you have nothing upstairs to say, drop a useless meme.
Re: HELP!!! I Blew My Car's Top Gasket. by Conner44: 5:02pm On May 18, 2023
Itsrm:

This scenario is more rampant in Toyota vehicles
Re: HELP!!! I Blew My Car's Top Gasket. by diportivo: 8:25pm On May 18, 2023
Itsrm:

As usual, when you have nothing upstairs to say, drop a useless meme.

Re: HELP!!! I Blew My Car's Top Gasket. by diportivo: 8:27pm On May 18, 2023
if you have "rapid coolant loss" your engine will overheat and your temperature gauge will shoot through the roof

if it happens when engine is hot u will see instant steam and park.......u have caught it early and thus,it will seem ur guage didnt rise

if it happens when vehicle is cold,start the car....embark on your journey and see if the temp gauge will rise or not

stop driving around with faulty temperature guages and then say because you have a lot upstairs that doesn't include memes,an overheating engine won't show on the dash.....

the longer you drive on a "dehydrated engine" the quicker the temperature gauge rises

if it uses lights instead of guages,by the time it turns red the car has already overheated

1 Like

Re: HELP!!! I Blew My Car's Top Gasket. by Itsrm(m): 8:44pm On May 18, 2023
Yeah, When mechanic installed fan wrongly and car overheated temperature guage was working but when radiator got damaged and coolant spilled temperature guage was no longer working.

If you don't know, ask questions. It doesn't kill
Re: HELP!!! I Blew My Car's Top Gasket. by Itsrm(m): 8:50pm On May 18, 2023
Conner44:

This scenario is more rampant in Toyota vehicles

I experienced it with a J series engine twice. One time I forgot to cover the radiator cap and the other time the radiator got damaged.
Re: HELP!!! I Blew My Car's Top Gasket. by Conner44: 9:02pm On May 18, 2023
Itsrm:

I experienced it with a J series engine twice. One time I forgot to cover the radiator cap and the other time the radiator got damaged.

For real? Honda? shocked

Are you sure your ect sensor wasn’t already on its last legs at the time? Because the other regular Hondas I know usually react to even the slightest rise in temperature on its guage in real-time.
Re: HELP!!! I Blew My Car's Top Gasket. by Itsrm(m): 9:35pm On May 18, 2023
Conner44:

For real? Honda? shocked

Are you sure your ect sensor wasn’t already on its last legs at the time? Because the other regular Hondas I know usually react to even the slightest rise in temperature on its guage in real-time.

I don't think so. From what I read at the time, the ECT sensor uses the temperature of the coolant to control the temperature guage. Does it not then mean that if there's a rapid loss of coolant, the ECT sensor has nothing to work with.
Re: HELP!!! I Blew My Car's Top Gasket. by ksmart027(m): 9:43pm On May 18, 2023
diportivo:

if you have "rapid coolant loss" your engine will overheat and your temperature gauge will shoot through the roof

if it happens when engine is hot u will see instant steam and park.......u have caught it early and thus,it will seem ur guage didnt rise

if it happens when vehicle is cold,start the car....embark on your journey and see if the temp gauge will rise or not

stop driving around with faulty temperature guages and then say because you have a lot upstairs that doesn't include memes,an overheating engine won't show on the dash.....

the longer you drive on a "dehydrated engine" the quicker the temperature gauge rises

if it uses lights instead of guages,by the time it turns red the car has already overheated

Boss, my car once overheated, and it turns out i didn't close the radiator well. The temperature gauge did not go up, but i notice the sound of the engine have changed. So i parked and when i open my hood, there was no single water in the radiator. Though that was my first time of experiencing such, so I think the guy is correct.
Re: HELP!!! I Blew My Car's Top Gasket. by Itsrm(m): 9:57pm On May 18, 2023
ksmart027:

Boss, my car once overheated, and it turns out i didn't close the radiator well. The temperature gauge did not go up, but i notice the sound of the engine have changed. So i parked and when i open my hood, there was no single water in the radiator. Though that was my first time of experiencing such, so I think the guy is correct.

Some people have sworn a pact with ignorance. They will rather stay in that comfort zone than seek knowledge.

The first time it happened, my wife was the one driving. The radiator was punctured by God knows what, coolant was lost and the car overheated till the engine shut down. She swore the temperature guage didn't rise but I never believed her. I thought she must have missed it.

One day, I rushed out to pick the children from school. On my way back, my RPM started fluctuating and it looked like the engine was going to shut down. Thankfully I was in the street. Managed it to the house, opened the bonnet and lo and behold, I didn't return the radiator cap when I opened it to check coolant level before I rushed out. In all of these, the temperature guage didn't rise an inch.

I am absolutely certain the guage is working as it should because the other time I had issues with my fan, the guage worked and I saw it rise.
Re: HELP!!! I Blew My Car's Top Gasket. by Conner44: 10:51pm On May 18, 2023
Itsrm:

I don't think so. From what I read at the time, the ECT sensor uses the temperature of the coolant to control the temperature guage. Does it not then mean that if there's a rapid loss of coolant, the ECT sensor has nothing to work with.

Yes it uses the temperature of the coolant to work BUT if there’s no coolant at all in your radiator it will still pull its data from the walls of your engine block and display its correct temperature.

But as I said, this is the usual way Honda designed its cooling system. I can’t say the same for other brands
Re: HELP!!! I Blew My Car's Top Gasket. by diportivo: 11:43pm On May 18, 2023
ksmart027:

chairman

how u dey?

long time grin

your temperature guage should rise if u have overheating issue.....thats the only reason the thing is put there in the first place

if it doesn't,it simply means all isn't well with the car

at the end of it all,to each his own

laslas,everybody will be fine

dyu still have the civic?

1 Like

Re: HELP!!! I Blew My Car's Top Gasket. by 9icetoo(m): 7:01am On May 19, 2023
jnrcess:

If done by an experienced mechanic and with quality parts, the engine should still serve you for a long time.

Pressure test the cooling system, replace defective components and replace the failing fan.

You should be fine.

I have come across same year and model of your car that had a similar issue in 2021 and owner is still using the car to date.

1 Like

Re: HELP!!! I Blew My Car's Top Gasket. by ksmart027(m): 7:24am On May 19, 2023
Itsrm:

Some people have sworn a pact with ignorance. They will rather stay in that comfort zone than seek knowledge.

The first time it happened, my wife was the one driving. The radiator was punctured by God knows what, coolant was lost and the car overheated till the engine shut down. She swore the temperature guage didn't rise but I never believed her. I thought she must have missed it.

One day, I rushed out to pick the children from school. On my way back, my RPM started fluctuating and it looked like the engine was going to shut down. Thankfully I was in the street. Managed it to the house, opened the bonnet and lo and behold, I didn't return the radiator cap when I opened it to check coolant level before I rushed out. In all of these, the temperature guage didn't rise an inch.

I am absolutely certain the guage is working as it should because the other time I had issues with my fan, the guage worked and I saw it rise.
I understand bro, my car have overheated couple of times, from fan that stopped working due to bad fuse, to when my radiator cover was bad, but i always catch it on time because i don't play with my temperature guage. But that experience was totally different the temperature didn't move an inch.
Re: HELP!!! I Blew My Car's Top Gasket. by Djreloaded(m): 7:27am On May 19, 2023
Re: HELP!!! I Blew My Car's Top Gasket. by ksmart027(m): 7:30am On May 19, 2023
diportivo:

chairman

how u dey?

long time grin

your temperature guage should rise if u have overheating issue.....thats the only reason the thing is put there in the first place

Your boy dey loyal sir. I didn't want to join in the argument, but i remember i had that issue once, but as you said, to each is own. I sold the Civic last month oo, the ode wey i give am the always come up with stories.
Re: HELP!!! I Blew My Car's Top Gasket. by Dozieson(m): 8:59am On May 19, 2023
diportivo:

chairman

how u dey?

long time grin

you are right. If the guage did not go up, it means something is faulty around it
Re: HELP!!! I Blew My Car's Top Gasket. by Godsonkemz(m): 9:27am On May 20, 2023
Your rising temperature gauge should have warned you that something was wrong but maybe you drive without observing dashboard.

If it's Toyota this wouldn't be much of a problem as you just have to change the top gasket, grind top at worst scenario if it's missing fire because the engine block is built to withstand heat. You should be making plans for a new engine which is costly.

(1) (Reply)

Check This Out BENZ Lovers / Terrible Accident / Would You Buy This Rusty 1960Benz190SL For £60k,Same Price As A New 2017 E-Class

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.