Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,701 members, 7,813,308 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:38 AM

Dangers Of Changing Top Gasket In 2gr Engine - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Dangers Of Changing Top Gasket In 2gr Engine (1266 Views)

My Toyota 2009 Top Gasket Got Burnt Yesterday / Advice Needed For A Sienna: 2gr Engine Or 3mz Engine / 2GR-FE Oil Cooler Pipe Replacement (2008 Toyota Highlander) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dangers Of Changing Top Gasket In 2gr Engine by klenton(m): 10:00am On Jan 15
I have a Lexus Es 350, the car recently overheated and I noticed some milky substance mixed with the engine oil, which suggest that my top gasket could have burnt and I now intend to change it.

but my worry is whether the car will remian the same after changing the top gasket, the car was just bought last year November.

secondly I want to know the kind of gasket I should use to replace the burnt one, should I get the same iron gasket which the car comes with or I should use the fiber gasket as replacement (the fiber gasket is what my mechanic actually recommends we use)
Re: Dangers Of Changing Top Gasket In 2gr Engine by nurey(m): 10:24am On Jan 15
klenton:
I have a Lexus Es 350, the car recently overheated and I noticed some milky substance mixed with the engine oil, which suggest that my top gasket could have burnt and I now intend to change it.

but my worry is whether the car will remian the same after changing the top gasket, the car was just bought last year November.

secondly I want to know the kind of gasket I should use to replace the burnt one, should I get the same iron gasket which the car comes with or I should use the fiber gasket as replacement (the fiber gasket is what my mechanic actually recommends we use)

2GR is an aluminium engine, ensure the mechanic checks the block well for compromise because if the internal components are compromised you need to get a replacement engine not changing gasket. If the block and internal component are okay, then the gasket should be iron (i believe graphite) and he shouldnt double the gasket oooo.

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Changing Top Gasket In 2gr Engine by klenton(m): 10:32am On Jan 15
nurey:

2GR is an aluminium engine, ensure the mechanic checks the block well for compromise because if the internal components are compromised you need to get a replacement engine not changing gasket. If the block and internal component are okay, then the gasket should be iron (i believe graphite) and he shouldnt double the gasket oooo.

Thanks a lot for this input as am really worried, a car I bought less than 2months ago and now I have to change gasket

I think the follow come gasket is iron, are you suggesting the mechanic should get another iron gasket to replace the burnt gasket or should he use fiber gasket, which is what is mostly obtainable in the market
Re: Dangers Of Changing Top Gasket In 2gr Engine by fineboynl(m): 12:48pm On Jan 15
klenton:

Thanks a lot for this input as am really worried, a car I bought less than 2months ago and now I have to change gasket

I think the follow come gasket is iron, are you suggesting the mechanic should get another iron gasket to replace the burnt gasket or should he use fiber gasket, which is what is mostly obtainable in the market
use fibers but if the top cylinder rapture it will not sound like before again. It will have one kind sounds like something that losing air compression
Re: Dangers Of Changing Top Gasket In 2gr Engine by galaxi(m): 1:31pm On Jan 15
If you can afford a direct tok engine please go for it and avoid this repair.

The 2gr engine may never be the same again.
Re: Dangers Of Changing Top Gasket In 2gr Engine by Dozieson(m): 2:46pm On Jan 15
As Nurey has said. Check the block and make sure it is very okay before you replace the gasket

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Changing Top Gasket In 2gr Engine by klenton(m): 2:57pm On Jan 15
fineboynl:
use fibers but if the top cylinder rapture it will not sound like before again. It will have one kind sounds like something that losing air compression

Thanks a lot and God bless you plenty for your responses..hopefully the top cylinder won't rapture as the car sti runs very well even with the burnt gasket and the steaming is still noiseless even as of now
Re: Dangers Of Changing Top Gasket In 2gr Engine by nurey(m): 4:42pm On Jan 15
klenton:

if the gasket is made of iron, he should replace it with iron gasket, all this fiber I don't get.
Re: Dangers Of Changing Top Gasket In 2gr Engine by RoadMozart(m): 5:19pm On Jan 15
2gr engine is good and fast but once overheating happens, sope otilor niyen

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Changing Top Gasket In 2gr Engine by klenton(m): 6:21pm On Jan 15
nurey:

if the gasket is made of iron, he should replace it with iron gasket, all this fiber I don't get.

Makes sense, I think I will take time to look for the exact gasket, another thing I want to know is if the top MUST be grinded when changing the gasket
Re: Dangers Of Changing Top Gasket In 2gr Engine by nurey(m): 7:24pm On Jan 15
klenton:

Makes sense, I think I will take time to look for the exact gasket, another thing I want to know is if the top MUST be grinded when changing the gasket

Since it's over heating I believe they will have to grind it, but the technician fixing it should know all that.
Re: Dangers Of Changing Top Gasket In 2gr Engine by melviniyke2002(m): 8:22pm On Jan 15
Chaiii get d exact iron gasket,grand top n start saving for direct toks engine.......also find out wot cause d over heating n fix it asap

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Changing Top Gasket In 2gr Engine by Conner44: 10:19pm On Jan 15
klenton:

Make sure you troubleshoot and repair whatever caused the overheating in the first place before you go zooming off from the mechanic garage with the repaired engine oh.

Just saying

2 Likes

Re: Dangers Of Changing Top Gasket In 2gr Engine by fineboynl(m): 11:14pm On Jan 15
klenton:

does use iron gasket it will over it again, Nigeria mechanic doesn’t have the tool to install iron gasket, Once the top has been open here in Nigeria use the paper gasket. Your mechanic should advise you better.

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Changing Top Gasket In 2gr Engine by jceesquare(m): 2:32am On Jan 16
RoadMozart:
2gr engine is good and fast but once overheating happens, sope otilor niyen
Says who?
Re: Dangers Of Changing Top Gasket In 2gr Engine by Baztardidiot: 4:20am On Jan 16
Aluminium engine is scrap after overheating
Re: Dangers Of Changing Top Gasket In 2gr Engine by Abbeyismo(m): 8:20am On Jan 16
klenton:

Depend on the overheating if it not too much 2gr is very reliable and if tou have a good technician that can fix it for you it will surely go back to normal sir.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dangers Of Changing Top Gasket In 2gr Engine by Aaaaarghmed(m): 2:25pm On Jan 16
Next time try dey check your temperature gauge frequency while driving

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Changing Top Gasket In 2gr Engine by klenton(m): 4:13pm On Jan 16
fineboynl:
does use iron gasket it will over it again, Nigeria mechanic doesn’t have the tool to install iron gasket, Once the top has been open here in Nigeria use the paper gasket. Your mechanic should advise you better.

Thanks for this info bro, I got one technician who said the same thing, he said that the iron gasket is very tiny and the oyibos that built the car has a machine for compressing the iron gasket which is not obtainable here as they use hand to tight the gasket here which is suitable for fiber gasket.

I was initially skeptical but you just confirmed what he said therefore I will be going for the fiber gasket
Re: Dangers Of Changing Top Gasket In 2gr Engine by klenton(m): 4:20pm On Jan 16
galaxi:
If you can afford a direct tok engine please go for it and avoid this repair.

The 2gr engine may never be the same again.

The car actually steams very well now and runs perfectly even though I have stopped driving

apart from oil mixing with water and hard starting it does, you won't know that the top gasket is burnt
Re: Dangers Of Changing Top Gasket In 2gr Engine by Nomerci: 3:01am On Jan 17
Your engine has gone
klenton:

The car actually steams very well now and runs perfectly even though I have stopped driving

apart from oil mixing with water and hard starting it does, you won't know that the top gasket is burnt
Re: Dangers Of Changing Top Gasket In 2gr Engine by diportivo: 7:06am On Jan 17
klenton:

Re: Dangers Of Changing Top Gasket In 2gr Engine by Abbeyismo(m): 5:50pm On Jan 17
klenton:

I can,help you and fix it after work is done and 2 weeks of testing to be sure the car is okay you can make payment.if you in let make the deal.
Re: Dangers Of Changing Top Gasket In 2gr Engine by klenton(m): 7:47am On Jan 18
Abbeyismo:

I can,help you and fix it after work is done and 2 weeks of testing to be sure the car is okay you can make payment.if you in let make the deal.

what's your location bro
Re: Dangers Of Changing Top Gasket In 2gr Engine by Abbeyismo(m): 8:17am On Jan 18
klenton:

what's your location bro

Abule egba lagos state 08139539942.

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Changing Top Gasket In 2gr Engine by Nomerci: 9:23am On Jan 18
Don't fix.buy new engine. 2weeks of testing like say na your house he wan come do am
....OK o. When e begin malfunction. Buy another engine.all naija mechanics are quacks
Re: Dangers Of Changing Top Gasket In 2gr Engine by Abbeyismo(m): 11:50am On Jan 18
Nomerci:
Don't fix.buy new engine. 2weeks of testing like say na your house he wan come do am
....OK o. When e begin malfunction. Buy another engine.all naija mechanics are quacks
Oga all mechanic no be quacks.if i work am e go work execpt dem don work am be4 but if not e go work sir.
Re: Dangers Of Changing Top Gasket In 2gr Engine by jceesquare(m): 2:14pm On Jan 18
Abbeyismo:

Correct.
Re: Dangers Of Changing Top Gasket In 2gr Engine by aAK1(m): 2:27pm On Jan 18
klenton:

what ever you do,do not double gasket,?

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Changing Top Gasket In 2gr Engine by klenton(m): 2:32pm On Jan 18
Abbeyismo:

Depend on the overheating if it not too much 2gr is very reliable and if tou have a good technician that can fix it for you it will surely go back to normal sir.

God bless you🙏

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Changing Top Gasket In 2gr Engine by galaxi(m): 12:10pm On Jan 23
From your replies it seems your just interested in people that will validate that it can be repaired.

I have been a victim of this situation and at the end of the repair expenses i ended up buying toks engine.

Unless you don’t mind those xmas light dancing on your dash board and can manage a car not operating optimally.

klenton:

God bless you🙏

(1) (2) (Reply)

Some Nigerians At The Auto-auction!!! / Why Are People Selling Off Their 2004/05 Honda Eods These Days? / Government approved Vehicle Speed Limiter with installation and certificate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.