Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,693 members, 7,809,619 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:02 PM

Religious Man Has Kept His Hand Raised For 38 Years (PIC) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Religious Man Has Kept His Hand Raised For 38 Years (PIC) (11002 Views)

The Difference Between A Spiritual Man And A Religious Man. / A Must Read: The Dust Raised By John Kumuyi's Wedding! / A Religious Man Is Not A Free Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religious Man Has Kept His Hand Raised For 38 Years (PIC) by Nobody: 3:24am On Sep 27, 2011
Mahant Amar Bharti Ji.

If you're ever looking for a volunteer to put their hand up for something, head to New Delhi and ask Mahant Amar Bharti Ji.

In 1973, the clerk raised his hand in honour of Hindu deity Shiva – and he hasn't put it down since.

In 1970 Amar left his job, family and friends to dedicate himself to his religious beliefs.

Three years later, feeling he was still too connected to his old life, Amar simply raised his hand as a sign of his devotion.

It's now been 38 years and the arm has not yet come down.

Amar's followers claim his sacrifice is a beacon of peace, while others say he has given up the use of a limb in order to separate himself from the pleasures of mortal life.

Amar's sacrifice has turned his arm into a useless stump of flesh and bone, with a gnarled hand and unclipped fingernails hanging from the end.

Amar says he experienced years of excruciating pain in order to follow his beliefs, but the pain has now passed.

What's left of his arm is now stuck in the bizarre position, atrophied after years of non-use.

Devotees of Hinduism will often undergo incredible acts of self-sacrifice, sometimes involving starvation or vows of silence.

Many of Amar’s followers have followed suit, raising their own arms for years and even decades.

A closeup of Amar's hand after 38 years:

Source:
http://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/-/world/10289557/man-raises-arm-for-38-years
Re: Religious Man Has Kept His Hand Raised For 38 Years (PIC) by SisiKill1: 3:29am On Sep 27, 2011

Speechless!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Religious Man Has Kept His Hand Raised For 38 Years (PIC) by Nobody: 3:34am On Sep 27, 2011
Wow!! I love to respect culture, but these Indians are weird mf'ers.

1 Like

Re: Religious Man Has Kept His Hand Raised For 38 Years (PIC) by SisiKill1: 3:36am On Sep 27, 2011
Okay, I'm no longer speechless, I have one question. . .WHY?!!

Seriously what is the purpose of this?!

1 Like

Re: Religious Man Has Kept His Hand Raised For 38 Years (PIC) by Nobody: 3:40am On Sep 27, 2011
Sisi_Kill:

Okay, I'm no longer speechless, I have one question. . .WHY?!!

Seriously what is the purpose of this?!

Those ppl are weird.

Another one did something as drastic as that, looking for the video on youtube. something about not laying down for yrs.
Re: Religious Man Has Kept His Hand Raised For 38 Years (PIC) by Osama10(m): 7:55am On Sep 27, 2011
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Religious Man Has Kept His Hand Raised For 38 Years (PIC) by Nobody: 7:59am On Sep 27, 2011
f**k Religion! angry
Re: Religious Man Has Kept His Hand Raised For 38 Years (PIC) by hakunajay(m): 8:45am On Sep 27, 2011
Na wa oh!
Re: Religious Man Has Kept His Hand Raised For 38 Years (PIC) by Kunbee: 11:47pm On Sep 27, 2011
They do funny crap for Hindu

When Gandhi became a vegetarian, he said he would stop sleeping with his wife undecided

She be meat grin grin

1 Like

Re: Religious Man Has Kept His Hand Raised For 38 Years (PIC) by harakiri(m): 3:30am On Sep 28, 2011
Now that's some serious $hit right there. That hand has been up before I was born, lol. I wonder if it's possible to keep an erecti@n for years as well. That would be some mean freaking $hit, lol.

1 Like

Re: Religious Man Has Kept His Hand Raised For 38 Years (PIC) by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:13pm On Sep 28, 2011
this Hindu ascetic has done this as a symbol gesture of detachment from wordly pleasures and a sacrifice to the Gods. it also probably symbolises the fact that the word of God is immortal.

it might seem foolish at first, but infact it is a sign of supreme perserverance, courage, sacrifice and devotion. the Hindu peoples are well-known for their strange ascetic/hermit community. what this man has done here is commendable as he has sacrificed his arm to prove his devotion and love for his Gods.

solong as he doesnt cause harm to anyone lyk the muslims blowing up people or the forced conversions done by the christians and their bribe-for-faith policies, what this man has done is for himself alone. it is the personal business between himself and his God, so we must not interfere.

1 Like

Re: Religious Man Has Kept His Hand Raised For 38 Years (PIC) by Nobody: 6:36pm On Sep 28, 2011
Sometimes you have to give it to the indians. To me, they exhibit more self-restraint than so-called born again Nigerians

1 Like

Re: Religious Man Has Kept His Hand Raised For 38 Years (PIC) by JeSoul(f): 8:37pm On Sep 28, 2011
Yield, how body my sister? I modified the title to be a little bit more descriptive.

Sisi, thanks for posting the pics.

@Topic,
    this is just gross beyond gross. One can admire the extreme dedication and incredible sacrifice such a feat requires but that's where my admiration ends. Use that passion towards some other profitable, meaningful end, not that piece of firewood hanging from his body. This is truly gross  lipsrsealed.
Re: Religious Man Has Kept His Hand Raised For 38 Years (PIC) by mazaje(m): 8:40pm On Sep 28, 2011
Fu[i]c[/i]k crazy beliefs. . . .
Re: Religious Man Has Kept His Hand Raised For 38 Years (PIC) by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:15pm On Sep 29, 2011
JeSoul:

Yield, how body my sister? I modified the title to be a little bit more descriptive.

Sisi, thanks for posting the pics.

@Topic,
    this is just gross beyond gross. One can admire the extreme dedication and incredible sacrifice such a feat requires but that's where my admiration ends. Use that passion towards some other profitable, meaningful end, not that piece of firewood hanging from his body. This is truly gross  lipsrsealed.

not everyone look for profit brother. sad
Re: Religious Man Has Kept His Hand Raised For 38 Years (PIC) by JeSoul(f): 2:35pm On Sep 29, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

And by "profitable" I did not mean "profit" but rather "useful" . . . brother smiley.
Re: Religious Man Has Kept His Hand Raised For 38 Years (PIC) by thehomer: 3:03pm On Sep 29, 2011
Yield:

Mahant Amar Bharti Ji.

If you're ever looking for a volunteer to put their hand up for something, head to New Delhi and ask Mahant Amar Bharti Ji.

In 1973, the clerk raised his hand in honour of Hindu deity Shiva – and he hasn't put it down since.

In 1970 Amar left his job, family and friends to dedicate himself to his religious beliefs.

Three years later, feeling he was still too connected to his old life, Amar simply raised his hand as a sign of his devotion.

It's now been 38 years and the arm has not yet come down.

Amar's followers claim his sacrifice is a beacon of peace, while others say he has given up the use of a limb in order to separate himself from the pleasures of mortal life.

Amar's sacrifice has turned his arm into a useless stump of flesh and bone, with a gnarled hand and unclipped fingernails hanging from the end.

Amar says he experienced years of excruciating pain in order to follow his beliefs, but the pain has now passed.

What's left of his arm is now stuck in the bizarre position, atrophied after years of non-use.

Devotees of Hinduism will often undergo incredible acts of self-sacrifice, sometimes involving starvation or vows of silence.

Many of Amar’s followers have followed suit, raising their own arms for years and even decades.

A closeup of Amar's hand after 38 years:

Source:
http://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/-/world/10289557/man-raises-arm-for-38-years

Just as I suspected, the real God Shiva has been working wonders in this world of ours. Why will this man go through this if he didn't really experience Shiva?
Re: Religious Man Has Kept His Hand Raised For 38 Years (PIC) by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:31pm On Sep 29, 2011
JeSoul:

And by "profitable" I did not mean "profit" but rather "useful" . . . brother smiley.

this man is an ascetic, i.e., he doesnt take anything from society, therefore it would be fair enough in his case, not to give back anything to society. also, engaging in materialistic activities will disrupt his meditation and life-long sacrifice. however in our case , we are people of the material world and so, just we take things from society, it is OUR[b] DUTY [/b] to do something useful in return.

thehomer:

Just as I suspected, the real God Shiva has been working wonders in this world of ours. Why will this man go through this if he didn't really experience Shiva?

how do you know that he didnt experience or wont experience Shiva undecided
Re: Religious Man Has Kept His Hand Raised For 38 Years (PIC) by thehomer: 10:51pm On Sep 29, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

. . . .
how do you know that he didnt experience or wont experience Shiva undecided

Maybe because Shiva is in a similar state to Jehovah.
Re: Religious Man Has Kept His Hand Raised For 38 Years (PIC) by oderemo(m): 12:29am On Sep 30, 2011
how i love to see pasitor oyedepo to raise his hand up for just ten minutes, oooch that hurts. with my 4 jets ,GOD 4bid.
Re: Religious Man Has Kept His Hand Raised For 38 Years (PIC) by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:11am On Sep 30, 2011
thehomer:

Maybe because Shiva is in a similar state to Jehovah.

Shiva is Pagan God of the destructive forces, while jehovah = xtian monotheistic christian God.

so how did you arrive at this base & senseless conclusion
Re: Religious Man Has Kept His Hand Raised For 38 Years (PIC) by thehomer: 9:53am On Sep 30, 2011
PAGAN  9JA:

Shiva is Pagan God of the destructive forces, while jehovah = xtian monotheistic christian God.

so how did you arrive at this base & senseless conclusion

I think the question to you should be how you arrived at the senseless conclusion that Shiva is the pagan God of destructive forces. What you need to realize is that Shiva is a Hindu God and not some sort of universal pagan God. Shiva simply isn't supposed to exist according to the monotheistic religions.
Re: Religious Man Has Kept His Hand Raised For 38 Years (PIC) by Image123(m): 11:57am On Sep 30, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

Not everyone looks for profit ke? Who's looking for loss.
Re: Religious Man Has Kept His Hand Raised For 38 Years (PIC) by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:28pm On Sep 30, 2011
thehomer:

I think the question to you should be how you arrived at the senseless conclusion that Shiva is the pagan God of destructive forces. What you need to realize is that Shiva is a Hindu God and not some sort of universal pagan God. Shiva simply isn't supposed to exist according to the monotheistic religions.

The Hindus are the largest surving group of Pagan peoples alive on this planet. Most Pagan deities are actually the same God, but with different names:

let me give you a couple of examples:

Olodumare = Saarki Alji = Chukwu = Zeus = Brahma = Odin = PanGu' = Aramazd = Ngai = Nhialic ,etc (Creator Deities)

Ala = Asase Ya = Mbaba Mwana Waresa = Denka =Anahit = Kunapipi, etc. (Fertility Gods)

IN FACT, GIVEN BELOW IS A FULL LIST OF FERTILITY GODS FROM DIFFERENT PAGAN CULTURES. THIS SHOWS HOW WE PAGAN TRIBES ARE ALL UNITED AND HOW EACH GOD IS ONLY DIFFERENT IN NAME.  and most of these culture had nevere even interacted with each other. yet they all had the same concept of religion. this in itself is a miracle. this shows hows true Pagan religion are. cool

African mythology
Ala, Igbo goddess of fertility
Asase Ya, Ashanti earth goddess of fertility
Denka, Dinka god of the sky, rain and fertility
Mbaba Mwana Waresa, Zulu goddess of fertility, rainbows, agriculture, rain and beer

Armenian mythology
Anahit, goddess of fertility, birth, beauty and water
Aramazd, creator-god and source of the Earth's fertility

Aztec mythology
Chiconahui, domestic fertility goddess
Cihuacoatl, goddess of motherhood, fertility and midwives
Coatlicue, goddess of fertility, life, death and rebirth
Huixtocihuatl, fertility goddess who presided over salt and salt water
Mayahuel, goddess of maguey plants, associated with fertility
Patecatl, god of healing and fertility
Tepoztecatl, god of pulque, of drunkenness and fertility
Tlaloc, god of rain, fertility and water
Tlazolteotl, goddess of purification, steam bath, midwives, filth, and a patroness of adulterers
Toci, is the "Mother of the Gods", often associated with Tlazolteotl
Tonacatecuhtli, god of fertility
Tzitzimimeh, a group of star deities associated with fertility
Xipe Totec, god of agriculture, vegetation, the east, disease, spring, goldsmiths, silversmiths and the seasons
Xochipilli, god of art, games, beauty, dance, flowers, maize, fertility, and song
Xochiquetzal, goddess of fertility, beauty, female intimate power, protection of young mothers, pregnancy, childbirth, and women's crafts

Baltic mythology
Laima, goddess of luck and fate, associated with childbirth, pregnancy marriage, and death
Saulė, solar goddess of life and fertility, warmth and health

Canaanite mythology
Baal, name of a number of gods with possible associations with fertility

In Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia
Sowathara, A female figure as symbol of the fertile earh.

Celtic mythology
Brigid, Irish goddess associated with fertility
Cernunnos, horned god associated with fertility
Damara, fertility goddess worshipped in Britain
Damona, Gaulish fertility goddess
Epona, goddess of horses and fertility
Hooded Spirits, a group of deities theorised to be fertility spirits
Nantosuelta, goddess of nature, the earth, fire, and fertility
Onuava, goddess of fertility
Rosmerta, Gallo-Roman goddess of fertility and abundance

Egyptian mythology

Min, ancient Egyptian god of fertility and lettuce Amun, creator-god, associated with fertility
Bastet, cat goddess sometimes associated with fertility
Bes, household protector god associated with music, dance, and intimate pleasure
Hathor, goddess who personified the principles of love, motherhood and joy
Heget, frog-goddess of fertility
Heryshaf, god of creation and fertility
Isis, goddess of motherhood, magic and fertility
Mesenet, goddess of childbirth
Min, god of fertility, reproduction, and lettuce
Osiris, god of the afterlife, the dead, and the underworld agency that granted all life, including sprouting vegetation and the fertile flooding of the Nile River
Renenutet, goddess of the true name, the harvest and fertile fields
Sobek, god of the river, warfare and fertility
Sopdet, goddess of the fertility of the soil
Tawaret, goddess of fertility and childbirth
Tefnut, goddess of water and fertility
Qetesh, goddess of sacred ecstasy and intimate pleasure

Etruscan mythology
Fufluns, god of plant life, happiness and health and growth in all things
Thesan, goddess of the dawn, associated with the generation of life

Finnish mythology
Äkräs, god of fertility
Rauni, goddess of fertility

Germanic mythology
Nerthus, goddess associated with fertility
Anyak-Schlikh, goddess of fertility and passionate love

Greek mythology
Adonis, a figure associated with death, rebirth and vegetation
Aphaea, local goddess associated with fertility and the agricultural cycle
Aphrodite, goddess of love, beauty and sexuality
Artemis, goddess of the hunt, wild animals, wilderness, childbirth, virginity, fertility, young girls and health and disease in women
Cybele, Phrygian Earth Mother goddess who embodies the fertile earth
Demeter, goddess of agriculture and the fertility of the earth
Dionysus, god of wine and festivity, associated with fertility
Eros, god of intimate love, fertility and beauty

Priapus, Greek god of fertility, gardens and male Cores
Gaia, Earth Mother and goddess of the fertile earth
Hera, goddess of the air, marriage, women, women's fertility, childbirth, heirs, kings and empires
Ilithyia, goddess of childbirth and midwifery
Pan, god of shepherds, flocks, mountain wilds, hunting and rustic music; associated with fertility
Phanes, primeval deity of procreation and the generation of new life
Priapus, rustic god of fertility, protection of livestock, fruit plants, gardens and male Cores

Hawaiian mythology
Haumea, goddess of fertility and childbirth
Kamapua'a, demi-god of fertility
Laka, patron of the hula dance and god of fertility
Lono, god associated with fertility, agriculture, rainfall, and music

Hindu mythology

Parvati Aditi, goddess of space, consciousness, the past, the future, and fertility
Banka-Mundi, goddess of the hunt and fertility
Bhūmi, goddess of the earth and the fertility form of Lakshmi
Chandra, lunar god associated with fertility
Lajja Gauri, goddess associated with abundance and fertility
Manasa, snake goddess associated with fertility and prosperity
Parvati, goddess associated with fertility, marital felicity, devotion to the spouse, asceticism, and power
Sinivali, goddess associated with fecundity and easy

Hittite mythology
Shaushka, goddess of fertility, war and healing

Inca mythology
Mama Quilla, the goddess of the moon, the menstrual cycle, and a protector of women
Mama Ocllo, mother goddess, associated with fertility
Sara Mama, goddess of grain
Pacha Kamaq, Creator of the World
Pachamama, fertility goddess who presides over planting and harvesting and causes earthquakes

Indigenous Australian mythology
Anjea, goddess or spirit of fertility
Birrahgnooloo, Kamilaroi goddess of fertility
Dilga, Karadjeri goddess of fertility and growth
Julunggul, Yolgnu rainbow snake goddess associated with fertility, initiation, rebirth and the weather
Kunapipi, mother goddess and the patron deity of many heroes
Ungud, snake god or goddess associated with rainbows and the fertility and erections of the tribe's shaman
Wollunqua, snake god of rain and fertility

Inuit mythology
Akna, goddess of fertility and childbirth
Pukkeenegak, goddess of children, pregnancy, childbirth and the making of clothes

Japanese mythology
Kichijōten, goddess of happiness, fertility, and beauty

Maya mythology
Akna, goddess of motherhood and childbirth
Ixchel, jaguar goddess of midwifery and medicine

Inanna, Sumerian goddess of intimate love, fertility and warfare
Mesopotamian mythology
Ama-arhus, goddess of fertility
Amasagnul, goddess of fertility
Emesh, Sumerian god of vegetation, associated with the abundance of the earth
Enten, Sumerian fertility god
Gatumdag, goddess of fertility
Inanna (Ishtar), goddess of intimate love, fertility and warfare
Nanshe, goddess of social justice, prophecy, fertility and fishing
Nidaba, goddess of writing, learning, and the harvest
Ninhursag, mother goddess associated with fertility
Nin-imma, goddess of fertility and deification of the female sex organs
Sharra Itu, goddess of fertility
Shu-pa-e, Sumerian astral and fertility god, personifying the planet Jupiter
Shulmanu, god of the underworld, fertility and war
Tammuz, god of food, vegetation and fertility

Native American mythology
Atahensic, Iroquois goddess associated with marriage, childbirth, and feminine endeavors
Kokopelli, Hopi trickster god associated with fertility, childbirth and agriculture

Norse mythology
Freyja, goddess associated with love, beauty, fertility, gold, seiðr, war, and death
Freyr, god associated with farming, weather and fertility
Frigg, goddess associated with prophecy, marriage and childbirth
Gefjun, goddess of ploughing and possibly fertility

Oceania mythology
Gedi (mythology), Fijian god of fertility, who taught mankind the use of fire
Makemake, Rapa Nui creator-god, associated with fertility
Tagroa Siria, Fijian god associated with fertility
Tangaroa, Rarotongan god of the sea and creation, associated with fertility

Persian mythology
Anahita goddess of fertility, healing and wisdom

Roman mythology
Bona Dea, goddess of fertility, healing, virginity, and women
Candelifera, goddess of childbirth
Carmenta, goddess of childbirth and prophecy
Ceres, goddess of cereal and of motherly relationships equated with the Greek goddess Demeter
Diana, goddess of the hunt, wilderness, the moon and childbirth, equivalent to the Greek Artemis
Fascinus, embodiment of the divine phallus
Fecunditas, goddess of fertility
Feronia, goddess associated with fertility and abundance
Flora, goddess of flowers and spring
Inuus, god of intimate intercourse
Juno, goddess of marriage and childbirth, equivalent to the Greek goddess Hera
Liber, god of viniculture, wine and male fertility, equivalent to Greek Dionysus; in archaic Lavinium, a phallic deity
Libera, goddess of female fertility and the earth
Lucina, goddess of childbirth
Mars, god initially associated with fertility and vegetation, but later associated with warfare and the Greek god Ares
Mutunus Tutunus, phallic marriage deity associated with the Greek god Priapus
Ops, fertility and earth-goddess

Venus, Roman goddess of love, beauty and fertility
Partula, goddess of childbirth, who determined the duration of each pregnancy
Picumnus, god of fertility, agriculture, matrimony, infants and children
Robigus, fertility god who protects crops against disease
Terra, earth goddess associated with marriage, motherhood, pregnant women, and pregnant animals; equivalent to the Greek Gaia
Venus, goddess of love, beauty and fertility, equivalent to the Greek goddess Aphrodite

Sami mythology
Beiwe, goddess of fertility and sanity
Rana Niejta, goddess of spring and fertility

Slavic mythology
Dzydzilelya, Polish goddess of love, marriage, sexuality and fertility
Jarilo, god of fertility, spring, the harvest and war
Kostroma, goddess of fertility
Radegast, West Slavic god of hospitality, fertility, and crops, associated with war and the sun
Siebog, god of love and marriage
Svetovid, god of war, fertility and abundance
Zeme, goddess of the earth, associated with fertility
Živa, goddess of love and fertility

Turkic mythology
Ajysyt, mother goddess associated with childbirth
Umay, goddess of fertility and virginity

(and many more)

Image123:

Not everyone looks for profit ke? Who's looking for loss.

its not necessary to seek for a profit or a loss. one can always remain neutral.
Re: Religious Man Has Kept His Hand Raised For 38 Years (PIC) by thehomer: 4:49pm On Sep 30, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

The Hindus are the largest surving group of Pagan peoples alive on this planet. Most Pagan deities are actually the same God, but with different names:

let me give you a couple of examples:

Olodumare = Saarki Alji = Chukwu = Zeus = Brahma = Odin = PanGu' = Aramazd = Ngai = Nhialic ,etc (Creator Deities)

Ala = Asase Ya = Mbaba Mwana Waresa = Denka =Anahit = Kunapipi, etc. (Fertility Gods)

IN FACT, GIVEN BELOW IS A FULL LIST OF FERTILITY GODS FROM DIFFERENT PAGAN CULTURES. THIS SHOWS HOW WE PAGAN TRIBES ARE ALL UNITED AND HOW EACH GOD IS ONLY DIFFERENT IN NAME.  and most of these culture had nevere even interacted with each other. yet they all had the same concept of religion. this in itself is a miracle. this shows hows true Pagan religion are. cool

African mythology
Ala, Igbo goddess of fertility
Asase Ya, Ashanti earth goddess of fertility
Denka, Dinka god of the sky, rain and fertility
Mbaba Mwana Waresa, Zulu goddess of fertility, rainbows, agriculture, rain and beer

Armenian mythology
Anahit, goddess of fertility, birth, beauty and water
Aramazd, creator-god and source of the Earth's fertility

Aztec mythology
Chiconahui, domestic fertility goddess
Cihuacoatl, goddess of motherhood, fertility and midwives
Coatlicue, goddess of fertility, life, death and rebirth
Huixtocihuatl, fertility goddess who presided over salt and salt water
Mayahuel, goddess of maguey plants, associated with fertility
Patecatl, god of healing and fertility
Tepoztecatl, god of pulque, of drunkenness and fertility
Tlaloc, god of rain, fertility and water
Tlazolteotl, goddess of purification, steam bath, midwives, filth, and a patroness of adulterers
Toci, is the "Mother of the Gods", often associated with Tlazolteotl
Tonacatecuhtli, god of fertility
Tzitzimimeh, a group of star deities associated with fertility
Xipe Totec, god of agriculture, vegetation, the east, disease, spring, goldsmiths, silversmiths and the seasons
Xochipilli, god of art, games, beauty, dance, flowers, maize, fertility, and song
Xochiquetzal, goddess of fertility, beauty, female intimate power, protection of young mothers, pregnancy, childbirth, and women's crafts

Baltic mythology
Laima, goddess of luck and fate, associated with childbirth, pregnancy marriage, and death
Saulė, solar goddess of life and fertility, warmth and health

Canaanite mythology
Baal, name of a number of gods with possible associations with fertility

In Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia
Sowathara, A female figure as symbol of the fertile earh.

Celtic mythology
Brigid, Irish goddess associated with fertility
Cernunnos, horned god associated with fertility
Damara, fertility goddess worshipped in Britain
Damona, Gaulish fertility goddess
Epona, goddess of horses and fertility
Hooded Spirits, a group of deities theorised to be fertility spirits
Nantosuelta, goddess of nature, the earth, fire, and fertility
Onuava, goddess of fertility
Rosmerta, Gallo-Roman goddess of fertility and abundance

Egyptian mythology

Min, ancient Egyptian god of fertility and lettuce Amun, creator-god, associated with fertility
Bastet, cat goddess sometimes associated with fertility
Bes, household protector god associated with music, dance, and intimate pleasure
Hathor, goddess who personified the principles of love, motherhood and joy
Heget, frog-goddess of fertility
Heryshaf, god of creation and fertility
Isis, goddess of motherhood, magic and fertility
Mesenet, goddess of childbirth
Min, god of fertility, reproduction, and lettuce
Osiris, god of the afterlife, the dead, and the underworld agency that granted all life, including sprouting vegetation and the fertile flooding of the Nile River
Renenutet, goddess of the true name, the harvest and fertile fields
Sobek, god of the river, warfare and fertility
Sopdet, goddess of the fertility of the soil
Tawaret, goddess of fertility and childbirth
Tefnut, goddess of water and fertility
Qetesh, goddess of sacred ecstasy and intimate pleasure

Etruscan mythology
Fufluns, god of plant life, happiness and health and growth in all things
Thesan, goddess of the dawn, associated with the generation of life

Finnish mythology
Äkräs, god of fertility
Rauni, goddess of fertility

Germanic mythology
Nerthus, goddess associated with fertility
Anyak-Schlikh, goddess of fertility and passionate love

Greek mythology
Adonis, a figure associated with death, rebirth and vegetation
Aphaea, local goddess associated with fertility and the agricultural cycle
Aphrodite, goddess of love, beauty and sexuality
Artemis, goddess of the hunt, wild animals, wilderness, childbirth, virginity, fertility, young girls and health and disease in women
Cybele, Phrygian Earth Mother goddess who embodies the fertile earth
Demeter, goddess of agriculture and the fertility of the earth
Dionysus, god of wine and festivity, associated with fertility
Eros, god of intimate love, fertility and beauty

Priapus, Greek god of fertility, gardens and male Cores
Gaia, Earth Mother and goddess of the fertile earth
Hera, goddess of the air, marriage, women, women's fertility, childbirth, heirs, kings and empires
Ilithyia, goddess of childbirth and midwifery
Pan, god of shepherds, flocks, mountain wilds, hunting and rustic music; associated with fertility
Phanes, primeval deity of procreation and the generation of new life
Priapus, rustic god of fertility, protection of livestock, fruit plants, gardens and male Cores

Hawaiian mythology
Haumea, goddess of fertility and childbirth
Kamapua'a, demi-god of fertility
Laka, patron of the hula dance and god of fertility
Lono, god associated with fertility, agriculture, rainfall, and music

Hindu mythology

Parvati Aditi, goddess of space, consciousness, the past, the future, and fertility
Banka-Mundi, goddess of the hunt and fertility
Bhūmi, goddess of the earth and the fertility form of Lakshmi
Chandra, lunar god associated with fertility
Lajja Gauri, goddess associated with abundance and fertility
Manasa, snake goddess associated with fertility and prosperity
Parvati, goddess associated with fertility, marital felicity, devotion to the spouse, asceticism, and power
Sinivali, goddess associated with fecundity and easy

Hittite mythology
Shaushka, goddess of fertility, war and healing

Inca mythology
Mama Quilla, the goddess of the moon, the menstrual cycle, and a protector of women
Mama Ocllo, mother goddess, associated with fertility
Sara Mama, goddess of grain
Pacha Kamaq, Creator of the World
Pachamama, fertility goddess who presides over planting and harvesting and causes earthquakes

Indigenous Australian mythology
Anjea, goddess or spirit of fertility
Birrahgnooloo, Kamilaroi goddess of fertility
Dilga, Karadjeri goddess of fertility and growth
Julunggul, Yolgnu rainbow snake goddess associated with fertility, initiation, rebirth and the weather
Kunapipi, mother goddess and the patron deity of many heroes
Ungud, snake god or goddess associated with rainbows and the fertility and erections of the tribe's shaman
Wollunqua, snake god of rain and fertility

Inuit mythology
Akna, goddess of fertility and childbirth
Pukkeenegak, goddess of children, pregnancy, childbirth and the making of clothes

Japanese mythology
Kichijōten, goddess of happiness, fertility, and beauty

Maya mythology
Akna, goddess of motherhood and childbirth
Ixchel, jaguar goddess of midwifery and medicine

Inanna, Sumerian goddess of intimate love, fertility and warfare
Mesopotamian mythology
Ama-arhus, goddess of fertility
Amasagnul, goddess of fertility
Emesh, Sumerian god of vegetation, associated with the abundance of the earth
Enten, Sumerian fertility god
Gatumdag, goddess of fertility
Inanna (Ishtar), goddess of intimate love, fertility and warfare
Nanshe, goddess of social justice, prophecy, fertility and fishing
Nidaba, goddess of writing, learning, and the harvest
Ninhursag, mother goddess associated with fertility
Nin-imma, goddess of fertility and deification of the female sex organs
Sharra Itu, goddess of fertility
Shu-pa-e, Sumerian astral and fertility god, personifying the planet Jupiter
Shulmanu, god of the underworld, fertility and war
Tammuz, god of food, vegetation and fertility

Native American mythology
Atahensic, Iroquois goddess associated with marriage, childbirth, and feminine endeavors
Kokopelli, Hopi trickster god associated with fertility, childbirth and agriculture

Norse mythology
Freyja, goddess associated with love, beauty, fertility, gold, seiðr, war, and death
Freyr, god associated with farming, weather and fertility
Frigg, goddess associated with prophecy, marriage and childbirth
Gefjun, goddess of ploughing and possibly fertility

Oceania mythology
Gedi (mythology), Fijian god of fertility, who taught mankind the use of fire
Makemake, Rapa Nui creator-god, associated with fertility
Tagroa Siria, Fijian god associated with fertility
Tangaroa, Rarotongan god of the sea and creation, associated with fertility

Persian mythology
Anahita goddess of fertility, healing and wisdom

Roman mythology
Bona Dea, goddess of fertility, healing, virginity, and women
Candelifera, goddess of childbirth
Carmenta, goddess of childbirth and prophecy
Ceres, goddess of cereal and of motherly relationships equated with the Greek goddess Demeter
Diana, goddess of the hunt, wilderness, the moon and childbirth, equivalent to the Greek Artemis
Fascinus, embodiment of the divine phallus
Fecunditas, goddess of fertility
Feronia, goddess associated with fertility and abundance
Flora, goddess of flowers and spring
Inuus, god of intimate intercourse
Juno, goddess of marriage and childbirth, equivalent to the Greek goddess Hera
Liber, god of viniculture, wine and male fertility, equivalent to Greek Dionysus; in archaic Lavinium, a phallic deity
Libera, goddess of female fertility and the earth
Lucina, goddess of childbirth
Mars, god initially associated with fertility and vegetation, but later associated with warfare and the Greek god Ares
Mutunus Tutunus, phallic marriage deity associated with the Greek god Priapus
Ops, fertility and earth-goddess

Venus, Roman goddess of love, beauty and fertility
Partula, goddess of childbirth, who determined the duration of each pregnancy
Picumnus, god of fertility, agriculture, matrimony, infants and children
Robigus, fertility god who protects crops against disease
Terra, earth goddess associated with marriage, motherhood, pregnant women, and pregnant animals; equivalent to the Greek Gaia
Venus, goddess of love, beauty and fertility, equivalent to the Greek goddess Aphrodite

Sami mythology
Beiwe, goddess of fertility and sanity
Rana Niejta, goddess of spring and fertility

Slavic mythology
Dzydzilelya, Polish goddess of love, marriage, sexuality and fertility
Jarilo, god of fertility, spring, the harvest and war
Kostroma, goddess of fertility
Radegast, West Slavic god of hospitality, fertility, and crops, associated with war and the sun
Siebog, god of love and marriage
Svetovid, god of war, fertility and abundance
Zeme, goddess of the earth, associated with fertility
Živa, goddess of love and fertility

Turkic mythology
Ajysyt, mother goddess associated with childbirth
Umay, goddess of fertility and virginity

(and many more)

its not necessary to seek for a profit or a loss. one can always remain neutral.

The claim that all these Gods with various names in various cultures are actually the same isn't really plausible because some cultures say there is only one God. In such a case what happens to the others? How about when certain cultures do not have a certain concept that is considered to be the field of a certain God? Does this then mean that the God doesn't exist?
Re: Religious Man Has Kept His Hand Raised For 38 Years (PIC) by Nobody: 5:30pm On Sep 30, 2011
I wish he were in Christ  cry
I pray he gets guided correctly.
Re: Religious Man Has Kept His Hand Raised For 38 Years (PIC) by lepasharon(f): 6:00pm On Sep 30, 2011
shocked shocked how could he have kept the arm upright all those years?? were ni awon ppl yi sha
Re: Religious Man Has Kept His Hand Raised For 38 Years (PIC) by Akwenukemarho(m): 6:57pm On Sep 30, 2011
well, the hindus are a funny bunch, i'll give dem dat, bt onto some serious shit, religion has caused far more harm dan gud, CHRISTIANITY ESPECIALLY. true story.
Re: Religious Man Has Kept His Hand Raised For 38 Years (PIC) by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:14am On Oct 01, 2011
thehomer:

The claim that all these Gods with various names in various cultures are actually the same isn't really plausible because some cultures say there is only one God. In such a case what happens to the others? How about when certain cultures do not have a certain concept that is considered to be the field of a certain God? Does this then mean that the God doesn't exist?

the cultures that say there is only on God are all formed by humans. these are the[b] monotheistic cultures[/b] and include namely : islam ( founded by muhammad), christianity (founded by jesus) and the current form of judaism (founded by moses).

these three are false religions founded by[b] [size=16pt]MAN[/size][/b]. they are all a fanatical bunch of lies and they do not accept the possibility of the plurality of the Gods. We Pagans on the other hand, believe that if there can be one God, then at the same time there can be many. we believe that there is a  Supreme Creator God and this God has different forms which control different aspects of life (and death). we believe that there is a God in everything. that we see God in his creations. the monotheists however say there is only one God and no other and that he cant have pluralistic forms.

also[b] ALL PAGAN RELIGIONS DO NOT HAVE A FOUNDER[/b]. rings a bell dont it

and before monotheism, each and every culture was Pagan. (NO EXCEPTIONS).

Akwenuke marho:

well, the hindus are a funny bunch, i'll give dem dat, bt onto some serious poo, religion has caused far more harm dan gud, CHRISTIANITY ESPECIALLY. true story.

christianity AND islam. brothers in destruction.
Re: Religious Man Has Kept His Hand Raised For 38 Years (PIC) by thehomer: 8:45am On Oct 01, 2011
PAGAN  9JA:

the cultures that say there is only on God are all formed by humans. these are the[b] monotheistic cultures[/b] and include namely : islam ( founded by muhammad), christianity (founded by jesus) and the current form of judaism (founded by moses).

these three are false religions founded by[b] [size=16pt]MAN[/size][/b]. they are all a fanatical bunch of lies and they do not accept the possibility of the plurality of the Gods. We Pagans on the other hand, believe that if there can be one God, then at the same time there can be many. we believe that there is a  Supreme Creator God and this God has different forms which control different aspects of life (and death). we believe that there is a God in everything. that we see God in his creations. the monotheists however say there is only one God and no other and that he cant have pluralistic forms.

also[b] ALL PAGAN RELIGIONS DO NOT HAVE A FOUNDER[/b]. rings a bell dont it

Sorry but all religions are founded by humans. What you can say is that for some pagan religions, we do not know the particular person or people who founded it.

PAGAN  9JA:

and before monotheism, each and every culture was Pagan. (NO EXCEPTIONS).

The fact that polytheism started before monotheism doesn't make any of them true.

PAGAN  9JA:

christianity AND islam. brothers in destruction.

This I can agree with.
Re: Religious Man Has Kept His Hand Raised For 38 Years (PIC) by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:34pm On Oct 01, 2011
thehomer:

Sorry but all religions are founded by humans. What you can say is that for some pagan religions, we do not know the particular person or people who founded it.
The fact that polytheism started before monotheism doesn't make any of them true.

now this where history and beleif comes in. how can it be such a coincidence that EACH AND EVERY PAGAN pre-christian/islamo religion around the world not have a founder or as you say, recorded founder undecided
as I said, this is why we beleive that Paganism has something much deeper thean that, something very much possibly to do with the supernatura.

and this has nothing to do with Polytheism starting first. In fact, monotheism or the idea of GOD, would never have even come into existence without Polytheism. this is well-known fact and common sense. jesus, muhammad and moses founded their own religions because they wanted to oppose the existence of their contemporary religions. and so they end up corrupting the very idea of religion with their fanaticsm. angry sad
Re: Religious Man Has Kept His Hand Raised For 38 Years (PIC) by thehomer: 6:11pm On Oct 03, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

now this where history and beleif comes in. how can it be such a coincidence that EACH AND EVERY PAGAN pre-christian/islamo religion around the world not have a founder or as you say, recorded founder undecided
as I said, this is why we beleive that Paganism has something much deeper thean that, something very much possibly to do with the supernatura.

I don't know if it is every one but have you considered a natural reason like writing not being invented at that time?

PAGAN 9JA:

and this has nothing to do with Polytheism starting first. In fact, monotheism or the idea of GOD, would never have even come into existence without Polytheism. this is well-known fact and common sense. jesus, muhammad and moses founded their own religions because they wanted to oppose the existence of their contemporary religions. and so they end up corrupting the very idea of religion with their fanaticsm. angry sad

Do you think the pagans weren't fanatic? How on earth did Christianity and Islam corrupt the idea of religion? They are religions too.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Post Your 2016 "By This Time Next Year"expectations With Faith.. / Did Reinhard Bonnke Actually Help Africans? *MUST READ!!!* / The Mysteries Of The Kolanut & The Creation Of The Kolanut Revealed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.