Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,245 members, 7,829,450 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:13 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (108) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (486962 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (105) (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) ... (554) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 5:43pm On Jul 16, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

Bro, there’s no use talking about this anymore as I’ve noticed two trends with this topic.

1. They’ll say you’re being emotional and derailing the thread, as if another opinion cannot exist outside of their own.
2. When you mention the double taxation, they’ll say if you don’t like it then leave.

grin

Abeg, which Party go epp us immigrants make I vote them for next elections pending when I go run comot their country
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 5:44pm On Jul 16, 2023
jedisco:

What happened to vat on private school fees? Oh! That does not punish immigrants.

Listen to yourself, you want them to charge VAT on tuition fees for parents who are already subsidising other people’s education by not taking up places in state schools? But you cry wolf when the same government attempts to tax you twice through IHS. Anyway this is Labour’s policy and not the Tories. What they have forgotten or failed to consider is that they can’t charge VAT on one type of education and leave the other. University education will also be vatable unless of course they decide to rewrite the entire VAT manual. VAT is not charged on education in any EU country.

Secondly, I’m not sure how much you know about VAT, by charging VAT to private schools those schools will now become eligible to reclaim input VAT on all their purchases and capital expenditure, in fact they can reclaim VAT on expenditure incurred in the past 7 years which will negate the so called revenue the government is trying to generate from the VAT charges.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by RalphJean: 5:50pm On Jul 16, 2023
Zahra29:

Not in all cases. For example if they had a spouse or partner who wasn't working a minimum number of hours, their child wouldn't qualify for 30 hours.

There's also a 2 child cap on the number of children you can receive child benefits for.So a British family with 4 British children would only be able to claim on the first 2. That's not fair on the family or children, but this is what was introduced by the Tory gov, along with other painful austerity measures on their citizens.

Zahra29:
Before you x-Ray the cap on number of children Etc.
Do you agree that a tax-paying tier-2 immigrant who has paid double tax. Who works full time. Spouse works full time too. Whose wife too has been taxed twice.
Yet
Their one (1) 3-year old child that was born in the UK cannot access 30 hour per week of ‘free’ nursery.

Is that fair?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by RalphJean: 5:53pm On Jul 16, 2023
koonbey:

No, actually, the burden is on you as the person who asserted.

Justifiability is an inherently subjective term and there's no possibility of logical evaluation if you don't supply objective standards against which the actions in question can be judged.

But we all know why you cannot mention any countries, and it's because you know your arguments won't stand up to scrutiny if compared to what's obtainable elsewhere.

Therefore they hold no water other than as an outlet for whingeing, which you're entitled to and which is frankly understandable, so I'll dip here with a reminder that just because something is onerous or unfavourable to you doesn't mean it is unjustifiable.

Debating with you is pointless. Speaking so much grammar with no substance.

Keep it simple bro.

Is it fair that immigrants are double-taxed? Paying twice (or sometime 3x) for exactly the same service?
Is that the idea of a fair, Global Britain?

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 5:56pm On Jul 16, 2023
Zahra29:

That's not true.

99% of my "negative" posts have been in response to inaccurate comments or narrow views. For example, I mentioned Nigerian prince because the poster stated that Nigerians were among the best behaved immigrants. Of course there are very many good Nigerians, but let's not fool ourselves that Nigerians have not sometimes attracted attention for the wrong reasons over the years, compared to Ghanaians for example. Same way Jamaicans have had a bad reputation for violent offences.

I've also responded to views that state that Nigerian students are holding up UK universities because their courses are full of Nigerians and Brits are not interested in education, which is simply not true.

There are many more examples, but typically I'm trying to provide a more balanced view and I guess it comes across like I'm bashing

This is not entirely true. I’ve noticed this as a theme for quite a number of your posts, even just yesterday, you brought about Nigerians not paying for healthcare causing policy changes. This wasn’t necessary as the argument was based solely on legal immigrants. Just to be clear, I do not think you hate Nigerians; If anything, I usually find your opposing commentary fascinating. It just needs to be a bit balanced as there’s so much great news about Nigerians out there.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by RalphJean: 6:00pm On Jul 16, 2023
Peerielass:

No need to be rude!

You are assuming this BC has a child lol. What happens to those that are childless either by design or choice or those that rarely fall ill hence never needing the NHS. What category do they fall into in your analogy? These are people that have been paying taxes since graduating from Uni at 22 and are now earning significantly higher income that precludes them from[b][/b] claiming any benefits. I bet they are more hard done in than you and your IHS surcharge.

See that immigration surcharge as the price you pay for all the additional benefit you receive for being in the UK. You can sleep with your eyes closed at night, no noise pollution, you don’t have to pay N1million per term to educate your children, 24hr power supply, excellent transport links, need I say more?

No one was rude.

You mentioned 25 hour electricity.
And security.
And Education.
On the surface, that sounds like a good argument.

But,

You failed to realise that IHS is a line item.

Electricity is billed separatealt. The immigrant pays for that.

Security is a separate line item, the immigrant is taxed for that

Education is a separate line item. Look at the two pictures I posted, the immigrant is taxed for that too.

So… those things are not free..

The Health Surcharge is a line item of its own. And the immigrant is taxed for that, IN ADDITION to what has been paid already in IHS.

Unless your argument is that DOUBLE TAXATION of legal immigrants is fair.
Is that your argument ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by CandyDiva: 6:05pm On Jul 16, 2023
Jlaw1:

Dear CandyDiva,

I sympathize with you and your sister. Visa refusals can be very difficult to deal with. I will advise you NOT to make a bad situation even worse. 1 Visa refusal is better than 2 Visa refusals. A history of multiple Visa refusals may have a negative impact on her future immigration plans. So tread carefully and please, abort the mission of "Re-applying for her immediately."

From your post, your plan is to make her re-apply and not include her own Bank Statement. This is a very bad idea in my opinion. It will almost certainly attract another refusal.

Why?

Well because in the Refusal letter, the ECO made it clear that they are more interested in her "personal and financial circumstances in Nigeria", and not so much yours (or her other siblings). So you can see that failing to include your sister's Bank Statement is a bad choice to make in this regard.

To summarize, if you decide to make her re-apply immediately, it will be difficult to convince the ECO that her personal and financial circumstances has changed within just a few days/weeks.

My advice?

Let her swallow the disappointment like a strong DOCTOR-TO-BE that she is. You and the family can find alternative options to help her relax, chill and to compensate her for the stress of school exams (and this visa application). And if her final goal is to relocate to the UK after her studies, then she can start working towards it now. Doctors will continue to be in demand in the UK for a very long time.

This is my advice from my own good (and sometimes painful) personal experience.

Kindly send your sister my regards. Cheers.

Thank you for your warmth, we would abort mission now and await better days in future. I really do not want multiple refusals at this point. Thanks again for your comforting words. Cheers 🥂

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jul 16, 2023
RalphJean:

Debating with you is pointless. Speaking so much grammar with no substance.

Keep it simple bro.

Is it fair that immigrants are double-taxed? Paying twice (or sometime 3x) for exactly the same service?
Is that the idea of a fair, Global Britain?

As usual, the primary school insults instead of the one simple question you had to answer.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 6:08pm On Jul 16, 2023
hustla:

grin

Abeg, which Party go epp us immigrants make I vote them for next elections pending when I go run comot their country
Lol I’m afraid none. Even Labour is looking to have stricter immigration policies.

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/may/24/keir-starmer-attacks-pm-on-immigration-as-labour-launches-its-own-plan
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Igbamatigbi: 6:14pm On Jul 16, 2023
Hello, am going to London to renew my passport, any Nigerian raw food store around the embassy? Anyone near by? Please let me know thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by RalphJean: 6:16pm On Jul 16, 2023
Zahra29:

Here I am speaking for my "master" again, but do people know that the NHS was founded in 1948
It's not just immigrants putting pressure on the NHS.

{Then how is it the case that it is ONLY the immigrants that are being double-taxed to find the NHS? }

Fact is the NHS would struggle even from the British population alone,

{Does that not call for a critical appraisal of the system and an overhaul to make it fit-for-purpose?
Does that not therefore mean that the British citizens too should contribute their own quota to make it work?
Does that make it justifiable that the solution is to tax immigrants more, while not taxing Citizens?}

So it's not about blame or discrimination, but one of practical solutions.

{Practical solution is to gaslight immigrants?
To me, a practical solution would entail increasing UK exports. Improving UK manufacturing. Revamping UK industries. Investing. Getting a lo more of UK citizens to get off their back side and work.}

Or would you rather the other solution where you don't have to pay IHS

{I would rather have that I pay health tax only ONCE, not pay twice.}

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 6:18pm On Jul 16, 2023
RalphJean:

No one was rude.

You mentioned 25 hour electricity.
And security.
And Education.
On the surface, that sounds like a good argument.

But,

You failed to realise that IHS is a line item.

Electricity is billed separatealt. The immigrant pays for that.

Security is a separate line item, the immigrant is taxed for that

Education is a separate line item. Look at the two pictures I posted, the immigrant is taxed for that too.

So… those things are not free..

The Health Surcharge is a line item of its own. And the immigrant is taxed for that, IN ADDITION to what has been paid already in IHS.

Unless your argument is that DOUBLE TAXATION of legal immigrants is fair.
Is that your argument ?

You were rude with your bla bla bla comment. It was totally uncalled for.

Everything you’ve highlighted above is paid for by both immigrants and citizens and like I said before, see the double taxation as you call it as the small price you have to pay to get British citizenship for you and your entire household. In 5 years time when you finally get BC, you will look back and say to yourself, yes it was worth it. And then you will Japa to Australia and start the whole process all over again 👍

To your other question as to whether it is fair? Nothing in life is fair - that’s why some people are born with a multitude of disabilities through no fault of theirs and others are healthy. Some are born rich and others are born into abject poverty and their entire life is a struggle. When life deals you lemons, you make lemonade and quit complaining.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by RalphJean: 6:31pm On Jul 16, 2023
Peerielass:

You were rude with your [b]bla bla bla [/b]comment. It was totally uncalled for.

Everything you’ve highlighted above is paid for by both immigrants and citizens and like I said before, see the double taxation as you call it as the small price you have to pay to get British citizenship for you and your entire household. In 5 years time when you finally get BC, you will look back and say to yourself, yes it was worth it. And then you will Japa to Australia and start the whole process all over again 👍

To your other question as to whether it is fair? Nothing in life is fair - that’s why some people are born with a multitude of disabilities through no fault of theirs and others are healthy. Some are born rich and others are born into abject poverty and their entire life is a struggle. When life deals you lemons, you make lemonade and quit complaining.

Bla bla bla was referring to the so-called 'mean-tested' whereas the example I gave was anything but means tested.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by RalphJean: 6:33pm On Jul 16, 2023
koonbey:

As usual, the primary school insults instead of the one simple question you had to answer.

You want answers to your questions, whereas you have done poorly in putting across your points, or answering other posers.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 6:54pm On Jul 16, 2023
Yes Djokovic has been defeated! But give him his due, he’s such a gracious loser ❤️
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 7:15pm On Jul 16, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

Lol I’m afraid none. Even Labour is looking to have stricter immigration policies.

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/may/24/keir-starmer-attacks-pm-on-immigration-as-labour-launches-its-own-plan

Good

I have 0 complains. grin cheesy

Option B and C Will need to be looked at

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by mayo47(m): 7:31pm On Jul 16, 2023
Lol....World leader years ago. Abeg what year be that? Even with the assumption of being one what were you producing aside oil resource compared to the whites industrialization?

lavida001:

We are in this together. If we as a people work in unison there is so much we will achieve. We have the raw material to be world leaders as we were years ago.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by mayo47(m): 7:41pm On Jul 16, 2023
Pls when was Africa the shining light of civilisation?

dustydee:

This thread has been turned to a "black race" bashing thread. Truely if people do not know theier history then they are lost[b]. Imagine when Africa was the shining light of civilisation[/b], if the caucasians who came and saw the level of development and "technology" simply sat back and said their race was inferior to the black race, perhaps they will be in a similar situation like we are in now. STOP LOOKING DOWN ON THE BLACK RACE. If you feel inferior, please speak for yourself and stop generalising. Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 7:49pm On Jul 16, 2023
Peerielass:
Yes Djokovic has been defeated! But give him his due, he’s such a gracious loser ❤️

Fedal fan we see you. 😄
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by mayo47(m): 7:50pm On Jul 16, 2023
I think the race discussed here is the Nigerian race and not the generic "black" race. However, despite the mention of the word "black", an invention of a black man raised in America or Europe is mostly a function of the society and system which he helped propel his/her invention which such system doesnt exist in countries like Nigeria. I don't think the crux of the conversation should be about the "race" of the innovator but more on the system and society.

kwakudtraveller:

What in the world are you even talking about. A LOT of inventions came about from black people. Including great medical discoveries by NIGERIANS who have made discoveries on Cancer and Diabetes. There’s a whole movie about a Nigerian doctor Bennet Omalu who inspired the movie Concussion. If you are too lazy to google, here are some inventions by black people.

https://dailyhive.com/seattle/inventions-by-black-people

STOP TALKING DOWN ON YOUR RACE! It’s ridiculous and continues to purport the narrative that black people are not good for anything. I can’t believe I’m educating another black person on the value that we bring as a race and he’s saying that I’m adding emotions to it. Do better
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 7:51pm On Jul 16, 2023
Peerielass:
Yes Djokovic has been defeated!
But give him his due, he’s such a gracious loser ❤️

Good result for Carlos, supported him all through.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by elengine: 7:58pm On Jul 16, 2023
Please o. What is the best app to send money home. I hear say lemonade rate no make sense
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 7:59pm On Jul 16, 2023
koonbey:

Fedal fan we see you. 😄

No not really. I support the underdogs. I wanted Carlos to win and didn’t mind any of the ladies winning yesterday though I would’ve preferred if Ons Jabaer won.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 8:00pm On Jul 16, 2023
justwise:
[b]

Good result for Carlos, supported him all through.

Yes o. It was the best outcome.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 8:07pm On Jul 16, 2023
mayo47:

I think the race discussed here is the Nigerian race and not the generic "black" race. However, despite the mention of the word "black", an invention of a black man raised in America or Europe is mostly a function of the society and system which he helped propel his/her invention which such system doesnt exist in countries like Nigeria. I don't think the crux of the conversation should be about the "race" of the innovator but more on the system and society.

How about the invention of things by Nigerians raised in Nigeria? Majority of the individuals on this list got their university education in Nigeria and the country inspired their inventions before they sought to pursue their dreams in other parts of the world.

https://www.skabash.com/inventions-by-nigerians/

I won’t even go into detail of the black inventors who had to face oppression and had a lot of their inventions stolen from them and continue to ask for reparations till date (This is not the conversation but I had to mention this since you mentioned "their society" ) so moving on back to Nigeria. Yes the system is flawed and heavily corrupt but I don’t see why anyone would continue to argue for the condescension of any race or nation. In summary, what is the point of this your comment?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 8:21pm On Jul 16, 2023
elengine:
Please o. What is the best app to send money home. I hear say lemonade rate no make sense

Ohent - they usually have higher rates than lemonade

.. But you'll be patient

grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 8:26pm On Jul 16, 2023
elengine:

£1 = N1054 no make sense for you. Abeg pity our country Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Phayie(m): 8:34pm On Jul 16, 2023
elengine:

I use NALA to send money home, along with 100,000 others. Join with code OLAITAN-705763 and we'll both get £10.00

https://join.iwantnala.com/OLAITAN-705763

The rate is 1,055

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 8:55pm On Jul 16, 2023
Peerielass:

£1 = N1054 no make sense for you. Abeg pity our country Nigeria.

People dey vex

grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 9:14pm On Jul 16, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

Bro, there’s no use talking about this anymore as I’ve noticed two trends with this topic.

1. They’ll say you’re being emotional and derailing the thread, as if another opinion cannot exist outside of their own.
2. When you mention the double taxation, they’ll say if you don’t like it then leave.

grin That’s the British Arrogance in full display for you and that’s why I also called them fascists. I learnt that long time ago.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 9:23pm On Jul 16, 2023
Firefunmi2014:

Yes I do. Does Monzo gives credit card?

Yes they do with Monzo flex if you qualify after they perform a credit check on you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Oggg: 9:25pm On Jul 16, 2023
Did they tie any of you rope to stay in this country?? What is it every single day?
Leave na. No. Let the government of the country run their country. No.
This is becoming annoying. Don’t even bother mentioning me because I am ready for any of you. Like fully ready. Hian.

15 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (105) (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) ... (554) (Reply)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3

Viewing this topic: Yemite14557, ubby26, hayesconcept(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.