Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,164 members, 7,829,160 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:44 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (221) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (486058 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (218) (219) (220) (221) (222) (223) (224) ... (554) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 7:44am On Sep 30, 2023
FaithfulGod4me:

Thank you.

Coming through an agent cost alot just that its the quick option BUT i have not contacted any agent yet.

Your second answer: please do you know the required age limit the first child must be before a parent can let the child watch over the younger ones? For instance in Canada, the age limit is 13 for some province and 12 for another province.

I would like to take advantage of the tuition free quality education for them oooo. And for the past 3years their dad and and i separated, they have been living with me.

Since it’s coming from an agent then I suggest you come prepare financially because you are unlikely to get a shift for months.

Here age limit is 16, so 12yrs old can not be left alone with his younger siblings without adult supervision.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 8:36am On Sep 30, 2023
justwise:

She did not learn anything from Nigel Farage and BNP, she will soon be forgotten. What a silly comment to come from a daughter of an immigrant. She is here today because of multicultural system. Mayor of London, the prime minister and leader of SNP in Scotland all benefited from multicultural system but some how she is having a brain fart.

She comes from a group of stuck-in second gens who see wrongly themselves as being better. Funny enough, those she's trying to please don't see a difference between her and other Indians.

The argument against multiculturalism woult be.
1. Immigrants were allowed to come in so they could work not to procreate at a rate much higher than the locals
2. Societal infrastructure is barely ready for these immigrants talk less for the kids.
3. Kids of immigrants have an option of dual citizenship unlike other Brits. I.e, they can return to the nations of their parents but they'd almost never do.
4. Just like immigrants have to pay tax, NI, and later IHS and huge visa and settlement fees, their kids which the nation did not plan for should be liable to pay a certain contribution in adulthood before they can enjoy certain benefits of the State.
5. Some have argued that second gens should pay a given frmee for a good period, write an exam and not commit a criminal offence to show they are worthy of being citizens.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 8:43am On Sep 30, 2023
CannyDoll:

To think that this Suella is also an immigrant, so if multiculturalism has failed, she is also part of the failure. I often wonder why the "immigrants" that find themselves in these type of positions are often times the ones harder on their fellow immigrants.

Others have called it a hood nigga vs a field nigga. I've called it wallpaperism. You put a tokenised fellow in charge of controversial policies that could affect their group. Its much easier to limit criticism that way.
Take Suella for e.g. first she called Pakistanis rapists, now this. All in pursuit of an election.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Iruobe1987: 8:46am On Sep 30, 2023
DoubleN:
Did for my Son in June in London and still not received yet.

My concern is that the online application tracker has been at the same stage since she did biometrics. Is the application tracker functional at all?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 9:06am On Sep 30, 2023
rinzylee:
I had a robust discussion with a friend who lives in Canada and while talked about the concept of people always thinking the UK is worse off in terms of Tax and bills. She made some very striking points worthy of mention.

1) Every country in the West operates a tax system and they are basically the same. You just think the grass is greener on the other side.

2) This tax and other deductions is what they use to make sure the society keeps running, and infrastructure is being maintained.

3) This tax deductions ensures the gap between the super rich and down and out isn't like what we see between Ikoyi residents and the slums around. Everyone has access to basic amenities. The children of the rich can walk into KFC and buy a pack of burger, so as the child of the low income earner.

4) Nigerians don't have a good Tax orientation. It is not a basic occurrence in the income lifestyle of the average man on the Nigerian Street. It isn't an emphasized concept. Even the government doesn't care about our taxes.

5) we have never really seen our taxes being used to make life better for us back home.

6) After 2 to 3 years, everyone relaxes and comes to terms with TAXES.

7) The WEST is basically the same, there could be 1 pr 2 adjustments to methods and policies.

There are 3 errors in your reporting. First, you write on the merits of taxes which is quite different from economic opportunity, second, you make faulty generalisations. Thirdly, you fail to highlight the economic side.

On the issue of moving elsewhere, you first have to ask yourself, what skills do I bring to the table and how are those skills rewarded elsewhere and what are the benefits or cons of moving.

Just like alot of immigrants are stuck in minimum wage jobs, I have also seen immigrants in jobs paying over £100ph. If you are able to command above £50ph for your role or have an in-demand skill, then you should be able to make the decision if your skills are best rewarded here or elsewhere in addition to other stuff e.g work life balance. It is not a blind gamble. Afterall, no Nigerian comes to the UK to count trees and the international market for skilled immigrants is only going to get more competitive. The irony of it all is that some good tech guys who are moving are equally earning a healthy salary here.

P.s I've found the UKpersonalnance and Fireuk subreddits as good tools in understanding the wider UK landscape-

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ourown(m): 9:40am On Sep 30, 2023
I have an interview with NHS with a 30 minute data collection test at the end. What can I expect? How can I prepare? The job role is in cancer clinical research. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 10:47am On Sep 30, 2023
Ourown:
I have an interview with NHS with a 30 minute data collection test at the end. What can I expect? How can I prepare? The job role is in cancer clinical research. Thanks

Do you have previous experience, in this line of clinical research..........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Parydelegate: 10:59am On Sep 30, 2023
Good morning House...please any IPTV contact here. I don dy struggle to watch EPL grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ourown(m): 11:48am On Sep 30, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Do you have previous experience, in this line of clinical research..........

No its an entry role.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Kenn55: 12:31pm On Sep 30, 2023
jedisco:

Others have called it a hood nigga vs a field nigga. I've called it wallpaperism. You put a tokenised fellow in charge of controversial policies that could affect their group. Its much easier to limit criticism that way.
Take Suella for e.g. first she called Pakistanis rapists, now this. All in pursuit of an election.

Too bad. This is similar to what Vivek Ramaswamy is trying to do in the US elections. Trying to be more notorious to immigrants than Trump himself just so that he is accepted by the hard far right. He wants to end birthright citizenship for children of illegal immigrants born in the US, even Trump hasn't gone that far. Imagine someone whose parents migrated to the US just 40 years ago has the guts to be spewing that nonsense. I don't blame them, they are oportuned to be born in a free society where they can aspire to rise to any position and they now feel they have arrived.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Midex88(m): 1:01pm On Sep 30, 2023
gmacnoms:
Abeg wey that person wey Dey recommend Amazon warehouse for here. Make e come out. I wan take am personal with am.

E want make I Dey bed ridden at 40?

No try that kind thing for here again Abeg 🤣🤣🤣

I don order Uber Dey go house go sleep

I don start am currently... the job no be here o. Standing up for over 10hrs. Shit
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 1:13pm On Sep 30, 2023
Not different from replenishment assistant job.. you will get used to it after you receive your first alert 😂

Midex88:

I don start am currently... the job no be here o. Standing up for over 10hrs. Shit

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 1:15pm On Sep 30, 2023
Read through the person specification document and tighten up your data collections skills theoretically and practically.

Ourown:

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 1:18pm On Sep 30, 2023
Kenn55:

Too bad. This is similar to what Vivek Ramaswamy is trying to do in the US elections. Trying to be more notorious to immigrants than Trump himself just so that he is accepted by the hard far right. He wants to end birthright citizenship for children of illegal immigrants born in the US, even Trump hasn't gone that far. Imagine someone whose parents migrated to the US just 40 years ago has the guts to be spewing that nonsense. I don't blame them, they are oportuned to be born in a free society where they can aspire to rise to any position and they now feel they have arrived.

Hood ni**a, wallpaperism, second generation wannabe.
It's an odd concept I struggle to understand for the muppets but one that far right groups have increasingly used.

On retrospection, a major reason is that the only perception many second gen kids have of their home nation is what the media/society tells them plus relatives asking their parents for money. Its worsened by the fact that many parents are unable to afford trips back home during their kids formative years as they have to work themselves off. These kids then visit once or twice in adulthood and cement distorted opinion. How Nigerian families have been able to afford a trip back in the last 5 yrs? There's little good about Nigeria/Africa on the media

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 1:19pm On Sep 30, 2023
If the promise of CoS is in the offer the they will keep to it.

Efftyy:
Hello elders , please your advise is sorted as I am with my computer to email my decision to the HR team .

I am on a skilled worker Visa(Support worker) with an agency which the Job is not frequent hardly do We see 24hrs in a week, But I have secure job with NHS that comes with Sponsorship 🙏, the cog in the wheel now is the COS is not out yet but the HR manager told me to start work with the trust on 20hrs weekly while i continue with my Former sponsors.
The unconditional offer sent to me reads Full time 20hrs, but I was pre informed that I should update my manger once the COS is out

Kindly advise

Please note on acceptance of the job offer I will have to relocate to the NHs trust location . Hope they won’t sly me later on as regard the COS . Kindly advise a brothers and sisters

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by gmacnoms(m): 2:40pm On Sep 30, 2023
Midex88:

More strength. The alert go give joy. No job easy sha
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 4:02pm On Sep 30, 2023
Kenn55:

His parents migrated legally. He is talking about illegal immigrants.

What exactly is your point and how is his parentage relevant to this specific policy issue? Do you disagree? If so, why? Do you think it will not be effective? Do you believe it’s immoral in principle?

What’s your proposed solution to illegal immigration, as an immigrant yourself? Or do you not believe it’s an issue?

Make your case and leave him and his parents alone.

You people need to learn to engage issues on the basis of logic, not sentiments and ad hominem attacks on the person making an argument.

PS. Before people start responding with irrelevant assumptions, I did not say I support what he said. I do not. The point is that irrelevant personal attacks like this serve no purpose as they fail to engage the issues raised.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by triplo3: 4:42pm On Sep 30, 2023
BouharryArtikou:

If I may ask.
Your route was?
Nigeria Licence - (Driving Test) - Full UK Licence?

You never applied for, and obtained a UK provisional licence?

Everyone needs a UK provisional licence first before full.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by FaithfulGod4me(f): 4:45pm On Sep 30, 2023
justwise:

Since it’s coming from an agent then I suggest you come prepare financially because you are unlikely to get a shift for months.

Here age limit is 16, so 12yrs old can not be left alone with his younger siblings without adult supervision.

If i know the way to do it on my own, seriously i will do it. Though i googled Tier 2 visa sponsorship jobs last night and have started applying.

Although most of the companies want someone already living in UK and also someone with Care certificate.

If you can point me in the right direction to get genuine Visa sponsorship employment in the UK, you will be doing this lady the favor that will last her a lifetime 😊.

Please help 🙏

Money isn't even the issue.

I just need something that will work.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by FaithfulGod4me(f): 4:46pm On Sep 30, 2023
Midex88:

Please what is the pay like?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 4:47pm On Sep 30, 2023
The Telegraph is reporting that the Home Office is planning to introduce restrictions to the health and care visa route. News article below (it might be behind a paywall, so excerpts copied below)

It also reveals that the Home Office has been taking action to curb the abuse and scams, and has revoked over a hundred sponsorship licenses

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/09/24/rishi-sunak-urged-to-limit-legal-migration-election-policy

The Home Office has put forward plans for foreign care workers with poor qualifications to be blocked from bringing family members to the UK.

Ministers want to tighten the rules for the Health and Care Worker visa, which allows migrants to move to the UK to work in social care and bring dependants with them.

There have been growing concerns inside the Home Office that the visa route is being abused, fears that can be revealed via leaked documents seen by The Telegraph.

Possible date for tighter rules
Home Office figures have earmarked November 2023, when new net migration statistics will be released, as the possible date for announcing tighter rules on legal migration.

The Health and Care Worker Visa was introduced in August 2020 but more have been granted than was initially expected.

Internal government estimates predicted around 8,000 visas would be issued but instead there have been more than 50,000, each person on average moving to the UK with another dependant.

The plan is set to face criticism from the social care sector, which has long been blighted by worker shortages. Tougher rules could make it even harder to fill vacancies.

But leaked documents reveal that dozens of social care providers have had their licence suspended for bringing in unqualified care workers.

In one of the papers seen by The Telegraph, Home Office officials expressed concerns that “since the addition of care workers to the health and care visa route, the route is more easily exploited and misuse by illegitimate sponsors than other visa routes”.

Since the addition of care workers onto the list of occupations where Britain has a shortage, the UK Visa and Immigration quango has investigated 261 adult social care providers.
This has led to the suspension of 109 sponsorship licences, with 48 providers issued with advisory concerns and 39 having their licences revoked entirely.

A round-table meeting to discuss the crisis was held in July, attended by officials from the Home Office, UKVI, the Department of Health and care bodies.

Delegates heard concerns that many of the new care workers were not fully trained in social care, potentially putting the elderly at risk.

There are increasing concerns about continuity of care for elderly people because so many are suddenly losing their carer when a licence is revoked.

A document summing up what was discussed at the round table said: “Home Office officials voiced strong concerns about the care visa route itself – and misuse by non-care entities

“This is partly due to the fact that care workers and senior care workers are not required to have formal qualifications and require a lower English language level for employment in the UK, which widens the pool of individuals who are eligible for this visa route.”
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by FaithfulGod4me(f): 4:48pm On Sep 30, 2023
Efftyy:

Don’t rely on your first child to look after her siblings here in Uk. She is still not yet up to legal limits . You still need to look after then for considerable number of time and let them be accustomed to the routine .

So you suggest i leave them behind first?

Please i am open to learning so i can plan very well
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 5:17pm On Sep 30, 2023
Zahra29:
The Telegraph is reporting that the Home Office is planning to introduce restrictions to the health and care visa route. News article below (it might be behind a paywall, so excerpts copied below)

It also reveals that the Home Office has been taking action to curb the abuse and scams, and has revoked over a hundred sponsorship licenses

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/09/24/rishi-sunak-urged-to-limit-legal-migration-election-policy

[i]The Home Office has put forward plans for foreign care workers with poor qualifications to be blocked from bringing family members to the UK.

Waiting for the usual suspects to come and say all of the concerns raised are lies and it's all because of racism and that they hate Africans and if this goes through the UK will collapse bla bla bla

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 5:58pm On Sep 30, 2023
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 7:47pm On Sep 30, 2023
Zahra29:

The Home Office has put forward plans for foreign care workers with poor qualifications to be blocked from bringing family members to the UK.

Ministers want to tighten the rules for the Health and Care Worker visa, which allows migrants to move to the UK to work in social care and bring dependants with them.

There have been growing concerns inside the Home Office that the visa route is being abused, fears that can be revealed via leaked documents seen by The Telegraph.

Possible date for tighter rules
Home Office figures have earmarked November 2023, when new net migration statistics will be released, as the possible date for announcing tighter rules on legal migration.

The Health and Care Worker Visa was introduced in August 2020 but more have been granted than was initially expected.

Internal government estimates predicted around 8,000 visas would be issued but instead there have been more than 50,000, each person on average moving to the UK with another dependant.

The plan is set to face criticism from the social care sector, which has long been blighted by worker shortages. Tougher rules could make it even harder to fill vacancies.

But leaked documents reveal that dozens of social care providers have had their licence suspended for bringing in unqualified care workers.

In one of the papers seen by The Telegraph, Home Office officials expressed concerns that “since the addition of care workers to the health and care visa route, the route is more easily exploited and misuse by illegitimate sponsors than other visa routes”.

Since the addition of care workers onto the list of occupations where Britain has a shortage, the UK Visa and Immigration quango has investigated 261 adult social care providers.
This has led to the suspension of 109 sponsorship licences, with 48 providers issued with advisory concerns and 39 having their licences revoked entirely.

A round-table meeting to discuss the crisis was held in July, attended by officials from the Home Office, UKVI, the Department of Health and care bodies.

Delegates heard concerns that many of the new care workers were not fully trained in social care, potentially putting the elderly at risk.

There are increasing concerns about continuity of care for elderly people because so many are suddenly losing their carer when a licence is revoked.

A document summing up what was discussed at the round table said: “Home Office officials voiced strong concerns about the care visa route itself – and misuse by non-care entities

“This is partly due to the fact that care workers and senior care workers are not required to have formal qualifications and require a lower English language level for employment in the UK, which widens the pool of individuals who are eligible for this visa route.”

Nothing new, they have been barking all these while on care visas and still nothing. I even blame the govt for allowing such slavery to continue. Still a wonder how you allow so much foreigners to care your elderly. Is there no better plan to that? They should get their own children to take care of their elderly and stop enslaving other people’s children. My personal view o.

The greatest mistake the uk govt keep making is tying work visas to companies for too long a period. Many people have no business doing care work when they can be better in doing other professions, but when care visas looks like the easiest way to stay in the country then what do you expect?

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 7:51pm On Sep 30, 2023
Goke7:

Nothing new, they have been barking all these while on care visas and still nothing. I even blame the govt for allowing such slavery to continue. Still a wonder how you allow so much foreigners to care your elderly. Is there no better plan to that? They should get their own children to take care of their elderly and stop enslaving other people’s children. My personal view o.

The greatest mistake the uk govt keep making is tying work visas to companies for too long a period. Many people have no business doing care work when they can be better in doing other professions, but when care visas looks like the easiest way to stay in the country then what do you expect?

How is the care visa slavery?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 7:55pm On Sep 30, 2023
koonbey:

How is the care visa slavery?

You can ask those on the visa

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 7:59pm On Sep 30, 2023
Goke7:

You can ask those on the visa

Lol. Typical.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 8:12pm On Sep 30, 2023
This may be a long conversation now.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (218) (219) (220) (221) (222) (223) (224) ... (554) (Reply)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3

Viewing this topic: habeeb246(m), Tstone1(m), Uk2020, Zahra29, Niyyah(f) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.