Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:56 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (220) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (463870 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (217) (218) (219) (220) (221) (222) (223) ... (536) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by SerendipityHere: 5:08pm On Sep 29, 2023
Okay. Thank you very much.

koonbey:

Oh it’s great that’s he’s a union member.

He should approach them and have them advise. A lot will boil down to what is in his employment contract so hopefully the union can get a lawyer to review it and provide guidance.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 7:09pm On Sep 29, 2023
Taal17:

Na diversity of workforce so no excuse not to earn a good living to at least cover basic needs.
If there's anything I've learned in the US it's that THERES NOTHING THAT IS NOT A JOB
NOTHING.
Sotay Flagpole holder na work

You're going off point LOL

No one said WH is not a job, if i see am sef this December, Ill do it

However, it is not for everyone wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 7:15pm On Sep 29, 2023
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 7:20pm On Sep 29, 2023
fetomowo:
@Ticha @justwise @lexus

Is there anyone familiar with life insurance policies?

Please someone is trying to sell me life insurance, should I go for it? What are your thoughts on life insurance in the UK? what are the best policy and what product should I be looking at? Thanks.

I have had a life policy, for many years....... The issue is, you would not benefit from it directly....... And Madam fit go remarry a much younger and stronger version of you ..........😁😂

But if you don't want them to have a hard life, after a bucket is kicked...... it's worthwhile having a life policy........😁😂
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by DoubleN(m): 7:22pm On Sep 29, 2023
Did for my Son in June in London and still not received yet.

Iruobe1987:
Please does anyone know if the online passport application tracker actually works. I renewed my daughters passport in July but its at "application received by the centre" since then without moving to the next stage. Do I need to worry about this?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 8:10pm On Sep 29, 2023
fetomowo:
@Ticha @justwise @lexus

Please someone is trying to sell me life insurance, should I go for it? What are your thoughts on life insurance in the UK? what are the best policy and what product should I be looking at? Thanks.

Count me out life insurance, i don't have one and will not get one, i have to die first before my family get their hands on it and there is no guarantee that i will die first. I rather put that money aside and enjoy with my family while we are still alive.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rinzylee(m): 8:16pm On Sep 29, 2023
I had a robust discussion with a friend who lives in Canada and while talked about the concept of people always thinking the UK is worse off in terms of Tax and bills. She made some very striking points worthy of mention.

1) Every country in the West operates a tax system and they are basically the same. You just think the grass is greener on the other side.

2) This tax and other deductions is what they use to make sure the society keeps running, and infrastructure is being maintained.

3) This tax deductions ensures the gap between the super rich and down and out isn't like what we see between Ikoyi residents and the slums around. Everyone has access to basic amenities. The children of the rich can walk into KFC and buy a pack of burger, so as the child of the low income earner.

4) Nigerians don't have a good Tax orientation. It is not a basic occurrence in the income lifestyle of the average man on the Nigerian Street. It isn't an emphasized concept. Even the government doesn't care about our taxes.

5) we have never really seen our taxes being used to make life better for us back home.

6) After 2 to 3 years, everyone relaxes and comes to terms with TAXES.

7) The WEST is basically the same, there could be 1 pr 2 adjustments to methods and policies.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 9:05pm On Sep 29, 2023
justwise:

Count me out life insurance, i don't have one and will not get one, i have to die first before my family get their hands on it and there is no guarantee that i will die first. I rather put that money aside and enjoy with my family while we are still alive.

I have watched too much of Forensic Files, Red Tree Crimes et all to do anything life insurance

You'll be shocked at how many spouses and children the devil decides to use

Still watched one yesterday night that sent her husband to the other side for $500K life insurance

Best to put the money aside like you said
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Efftyy: 9:11pm On Sep 29, 2023
Hello elders , please your advise is sorted as I am with my computer to email my decision to the HR team .

I am on a skilled worker Visa(Support worker) with an agency which the Job is not frequent hardly do We see 24hrs in a week, But I have secure job with NHS that comes with Sponsorship 🙏, the cog in the wheel now is the COS is not out yet but the HR manager told me to start work with the trust on 20hrs weekly while i continue with my Former sponsors.
The unconditional offer sent to me reads Full time 20hrs, but I was pre informed that I should update my manger once the COS is out

Kindly advise

Please note on acceptance of the job offer I will have to relocate to the NHs trust location . Hope they won’t sly me later on as regard the COS . Kindly advise a brothers and sisters

Thank you my people for your contribution . COS issued on Friday . Make I sharpaly do application, na Priority sure pass now .
Obrigado 🙏
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by FaithfulGod4me(f): 9:16pm On Sep 29, 2023
justwise:

Good evening everyone, kindly guide me on what i should do regarding the below issue 🙏

1. If i get a genuine visa sponsorship job in the UK and i'm able to relocate there with my 3 young kids (i'm divorced), work for a while and save; will i be able to get admitted into a school in UK for masters and study online?

2. Will studying online still afford me the opportunity to work full time?

3. Do you think it is possible for me to be able to survive and live decently with my 3 kids if i am working full time in UK?

4. My 1st child is 12years old; will i need a nanny? or does UK law permit a 12years old child to watch over the younger siblings? The last is 7+.

5. Is tuition expensive for kids schools?

Please help me with answers and.

I need to make aa decision but i want to understand the reality before finalizing.

Thank you all ffor your response.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by FaithfulGod4me(f): 9:26pm On Sep 29, 2023
hustla:

I have watched too much of Forensic Files, Red Tree Crimes et all to do anything life insurance

Still watched one yesterday night that sent her husband to the other side for $500K life insurance

Your fears are valid. A mother hired her boyfriend to kill her son just so she can take out his life insurance policy. If i come across tthe video again on IG , i will drop the link. Thank God the young man survived the gunshot.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Taal17: 9:33pm On Sep 29, 2023
hustla:

You're going off point LOL

No one said WH is not a job, if i see am sef this December, Ill do it

However, it is not for everyone wink

I was just adding thought of my own.
Those Amazon warehouse jobs pay well cos it's valued as an integral part of a business.

I even said where were these jobs when aI was a student in the UK. I would have done it na.
I just know that I wouldn't have been there for too long my body won't be able to take it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LionInZion: 9:59pm On Sep 29, 2023
FaithfulGod4me:

Good evening everyone, kindly guide me on what i should do regarding the below issue 🙏

1. If i get a genuine visa sponsorship job in the UK and i'm able to relocate there with my 3 young kids (i'm divorced), work for a while and save; will i be able to get admitted into a school in UK for masters and study online?

3. Do you think it is possible for me to be able to survive and live decently with my 3 kids if i am working full time in UK?

4. My 1st child is 12years old; will i need a nanny? or does UK law permit a 12years old child to watch over the younger siblings? The last is 7+.

I need to make aa decision but i want to understand the reality before finalizing.

1. Yes, if you enter the UK with Tier 2 visa, your visa type allows you to study (whether online or offline will depend on the school you are studying from)
2. Again, your study schedule and work schedule will be the determinant
3. Your salary, lifestyle, and possibly the cost of living in your area in the UK will determine
4. Those with kids can help with this
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 10:09pm On Sep 29, 2023
FaithfulGod4me:

Your fears are valid. A mother hired her boyfriend to kill her son just so she can take out his life insurance policy. If i come across tthe video again on IG , i will drop the link. Thank God the young man survived the gunshot.

Too many stories mehn

Its a bad idea

cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by heroshark(m): 10:18pm On Sep 29, 2023
FaithfulGod4me:

1) Yes, a part-time master is far better than an online masters (part-time is two years, and it spread the payment for 2years instead of paying it one off, it also gives you enough time to joggle work and study)

2) it can be challenging as you are expected to work full-time and your classes will clash with your working hours, it's unavoidable hence my advice in Q1 above.

3) it will be challenging without additional support, except if you fall within the high earner bracket (realistic anything above £50k outside London)

4) I no too sure here.

5) Tuition is free for kids (Except if you wan go private school than you need lots and lots of money)
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 10:22pm On Sep 29, 2023
Taal17:

I was just adding thought of my own.
Those Amazon warehouse jobs pay well cos it's valued as an integral part of a business.

I even said where were these jobs when aI was a student in the UK. I would have done it na.
I just know that I wouldn't have been there for too long my body won't be able to take it.

Okay chief

I need one soft one to hold body in December if they can pay £15/hr

grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 10:35pm On Sep 29, 2023
Taal17:

Ajebutter no be insult na

Same ajebutter can work in an office or from home earn the same amount of cash
Same ajepako can work in a warehouse and earn same amount of cash

No be laziness

This kind mentality is what we call suffering and smiling.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 10:44pm On Sep 29, 2023
hustla:

Comments makes me miss ID extra on dstv.

Can I get same station like the once’s on dstv when I buy iptv @lexus
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 10:55pm On Sep 29, 2023
Efftyy:
Hello elders , please your advise is sorted as I am with my computer to email my decision to the HR team .

I am on a skilled worker Visa(Support worker) with an agency which the Job is not frequent hardly do We see 24hrs in a week, But I have secure job with NHS that comes with Sponsorship 🙏, the cog in the wheel now is the COS is not out yet but the HR manager told me to start work with the trust on 20hrs weekly while i continue with my Former sponsors.
The unconditional offer sent to me reads Full time 20hrs, but I was pre informed that I should update my manger once the COS is out

Kindly advise

Please note on acceptance of the job offer I will have to relocate to the NHs trust location . Hope they won’t sly me later on as regard the COS . Kindly advise a brothers and sisters

So far everything is documented and well stated on your offer that it comes with COS, there should be no issue. If any one raises any problem just show evidence where it was clearly stated that the job comes with COS. No body can sly you where everything is stated in ink.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Efftyy: 11:08pm On Sep 29, 2023
Goke7:

So far everything is documented and well stated on your offer that it comes with COS, there should be no issue. If any one raises any problem just show evidence where it was clearly stated that the job comes with COS. No body can sly you where everything is stated in ink.
Thanks for your reply , the HR team only sent me a mail as regards working full time when i get the COS.
Yes I think the mail is enough evidence
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ticha: 12:37am On Sep 30, 2023
fetomowo:
@Ticha @justwise @lexus

We have life insurance and critical illness cover. It's useful to us and we've had one for over 10 years. We also ensure that the life insurance we chose is not cancelled out by death in service benefits/pay-outs. My husband has a very generous death in service and we found some of the fine print of life insurances will not pay out if the death in service payment is higher than the life insurance payout!

We've opted for a sliding payment one which pays off all our existing mortgages especially as all our mortgages are repayments so the amount reduces every year. It's also tied into the trust we set up so the payment goes into the trust which is administered by trustees.

Ours is with Aviva.

PS - if you want to get life insurance, research it yourself and find your own broker if you don't have the me to go through different providers and compare. Don't be talked int it as some advisors are only after their commission.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by FaithfulGod4me(f): 4:49am On Sep 30, 2023
heroshark:

1) Yes, a part-time master is far better than an online masters (part-time is two years, and it spread the payment for 2years instead of paying it one off, it also gives you enough time to joggle work and study)

2) it can be challenging as you are expected to work full-time and your classes will clash with your working hours, it's unavoidable hence my advice in Q1 above.

3) it will be challenging without additional support, except if you fall within the high earner bracket (realistic anything above £50k outside London)

4) I no too sure here.

5) Tuition is free for kids (Except if you wan go private school than you need lots and lots of money)

Thank you for your kind response.

Tuition is free for kids? Wow 😍 😍

With regards to your number 4 response, i have a degree in Medical Laboratory Science and i want to register for UK practicing license so i will be able to work there as a medical scientist or something similar.
If i can combine this with the sponsorship job i am entering UK with, will it be sufficient?

I don't want to leave my kids. I have custody of them and their dad doesn't mind me taking them abroad with me (of course i will get a consent letter from him).

Regarding question 1, i think part time masters will be the best instead of online.

Although i currently have admission into Kingston University, London, full-time but i want to let it go because of cost of living in London and reapply into another school later for part time studies.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by FaithfulGod4me(f): 4:53am On Sep 30, 2023
LionInZion:

1. Yes, if you enter the UK with Tier 2 visa, your visa type allows you to study (whether online or offline will depend on the school you are studying from)
2. Again, your study schedule and work schedule will be the determinant
3. Your salary, lifestyle, and possibly the cost of living in your area in the UK will determine
4. Those with kids can help with this

Thank you.

Tier 2 visa is work visa..... Okay
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 5:37am On Sep 30, 2023
FaithfulGod4me:

Thank you.

Tier 2 visa is work visa..... Okay

Some other people have answered some of your questions but I have to ask if …

1.If you got the COS for the work visa directly from the company or through an agent? If it’s through an agent I suggest you reconsider coming with your kids or come with a lot of money to sustain you people at least for the first 3months.

2. You need someone to take care of your kids unless your work is structured in such way that you will be home before they close from school.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 5:44am On Sep 30, 2023
hustla:

I will do everything with God given wisdom and strength to put my kids in a position to make their own money, they don’t need to be lazing around waiting for daddy to kick the bucket then smile to the bank
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 5:58am On Sep 30, 2023
Efftyy:

Kindly advise

Congratulations! NHS will not sly you over COS, unless any red flag comes up in your pre-employment checks process, and since you're at the stage where you've received an unconditional offer I'm assuming you're already through with referencing and DBS so there shouldn't be anything left .

Start the role on the 20 hours weekly as the manager said. Looks like a perfect solution - after all you're not getting much more work with your current employer anyway.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by FaithfulGod4me(f): 6:44am On Sep 30, 2023
justwise:

Some other people have answered some of your questions but I have to ask if …

1.If you got the COS for the work visa directly from the company or through an agent? If it’s through an agent I suggest you reconsider coming with your kids or come with a lot of money to sustain you people at least for the first 3months.

2. You need someone to take care of your kids unless your work is structured in such way that you will be home before they close from school.

Thank you.

Coming through an agent cost alot just that its the quick option BUT i have not contacted any agent yet.

Your second answer: please do you know the required age limit the first child must be before a parent can let the child watch over the younger ones? For instance in Canada, the age limit is 13 for some province and 12 for another province.

I would like to take advantage of the tuition free quality education for them oooo. And for the past 3years their dad and and i separated, they have been living with me.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Efftyy: 7:25am On Sep 30, 2023
FaithfulGod4me:

Thank you.

Coming through an agent cost alot just that its the quick option BUT i have not contacted any agent yet.

Your second answer: please do you know the required age limit the first child must be before a parent can let the child watch over the younger ones? For instance in Canada, the age limit is 13 for some province and 12 for another province.

I would like to take advantage of the tuition free quality education for them oooo. And for the past 3years their dad and and i separated, they have been living with me.

Don’t rely on your first child to look after her siblings here in Uk. She is still not yet up to legal limits . You still need to look after then for considerable number of time and let them be accustomed to the routine .
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 7:32am On Sep 30, 2023
lavida001:

Comments makes me miss ID extra on dstv.

Can I get same station like the once’s on dstv when I buy iptv @lexus

Go on YouTube, Forensic Files & Red Tree Crimes should be enough for you

Other suggestions will also pop up by the side

cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 7:33am On Sep 30, 2023
justwise:

I will do everything with God given wisdom and strength to put my kids in a position to make their own money, they don’t need to be lazing around waiting for daddy to kick the bucket then smile to the bank

Best bet

smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (217) (218) (219) (220) (221) (222) (223) ... (536) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: Teenuh, keximus(m), badoosnh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.