Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,873 members, 7,813,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:12 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (36) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (462305 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (533) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Prizee1: 6:23am On Jun 01, 2023
Please help!!! Can one take a coach with kids from heathrow airport on a 3hours trip to destination? Especially with lugages?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ugochinyere1(f): 6:37am On Jun 01, 2023
Hello guys.
Thanks to all the contributors and elders in here.
Please I'd like to ask if anyone has converted from tier4 to either post study or tier 2 dependent with an expired passport but valid brp.(valid till July 1st)
Have been on passport renewal since feb.
Please any idea?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ukay2: 7:31am On Jun 01, 2023
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Knowlegeseeking: 8:06am On Jun 01, 2023
Dear wise ones,

Thank you all for your numerous contributions and insights you have all given on this thread. It has made my journey extremely easy and I am grateful for the time you all take out to profer solution to the numerous questions we have. I specially greet all elders here @justwise @lexusgs430 @solumtoya @semmyk @husla @koonbey @giselle237 @thathrguy and everyother person for your sound contributions.

I am looking at switching careers and I need insights from everyone. A little background about me.
I have worked in the big 4 as an auditor and have over 4 years experience. I am partly ACCA qualified. I want to continue my career as a business analyst. I have an M.Sc in International Accounting and Finance here in the UK.
I have looked at the job description of a business analyst and it is something I am very comfortable with. I just want to know if I would need to take some short courses or certification to venture into this route, what I should be looking out for in terms of position if I am to start applying for jobs in this area and every information that will help with a smooth transitioning into this career path.
Please if this has already been touched on, please kindly refer me to the page number in the thread.
I am open to DMs to contacting personally if need be to get me all the details.
All contributions and insights will be of immense help to me. I'll be waiting to read from you all.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 8:27am On Jun 01, 2023
Yes you can ...look at National Express or MegaFlix Buses. But be mindful of the luggages oo, nor go pack the entire Naija come o and ensure you pack your fish properly to avoid wahala. Some bus driver would drop you if your fish de smell. cheesy

Prizee1:
Please help!!! Can one take a coach with kids from heathrow airport on a 3hours trip to destination? Especially with lugages?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by UnconventionalT: 8:32am On Jun 01, 2023
abuhusna1:

Your friend has upper hand here he just need to report it to the home office asap. The wife uk don cast be that cos she can't marry another man in the uk or switch visa her only hope is if citizen knack her belle and she born here only then she change her status on her child citizenship
Thank you. He told me he has reported their separation and the domestic violence he encountered to the home office(the marriage breakdown unit) around late last year. Those ones said he won't be informed of their final decision as it is a private matter. He doesn't really know if they've taken any actions or not.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by abuhusna1: 9:52am On Jun 01, 2023
UnconventionalT:

Thank you. He told me he has reported their separation and the domestic violence he encountered to the home office(the marriage breakdown unit) around late last year. Those ones said he won't be informed of their final decision as it is a private matter. He doesn't really know if they've taken any actions or not.
Let him move on as he can never get a feed back l8ke home office said and leave the rest to God

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Temi231(f): 9:52am On Jun 01, 2023
Lolli2pop:

I have never flown turkish, how was your experience please? Would you recommend?

One of the best airline. Flew this many times

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by OmichaelO: 9:58am On Jun 01, 2023
Lolli2pop:

I have never flown turkish, how was your experience please? Would you recommend?
Pretty Nice experience!! I would recommend. we were bumped up to business class from istanbul to manchester because there was delay. maybe we were just lucky sha, but that singular act will make me keep flying them .

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 10:44am On Jun 01, 2023
Prizee1:

Of course.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 10:45am On Jun 01, 2023
Ugochinyere1:
Hello guys.
Thanks to all the contributors and elders in here.
Please I'd like to ask if anyone has converted from tier4 to either post study or tier 2 dependent with an expired passport but valid brp.(valid till July 1st)
Have been on passport renewal since feb.
Please any idea?

Passport needs to be valid
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 10:48am On Jun 01, 2023
Knowlegeseeking:
Dear wise ones,

Thank you all for your numerous contributions and insights you have all given on this thread. It has made my journey extremely easy and I am grateful for the time you all take out to profer solution to the numerous questions we have. I specially greet all elders here @justwise @lexusgs430 @solumtoya @semmyk @husla @koonbey @giselle237 @thathrguy and everyother person for your sound contributions.

I am looking at switching careers and I need insights from everyone. A little background about me.
I have worked in the big 4 as an auditor and have over 4 years experience. I am partly ACCA qualified. I want to continue my career as a business analyst. I have an M.Sc in International Accounting and Finance here in the UK.
I have looked at the job description of a business analyst and it is something I am very comfortable with. I just want to know if I would need to take some short courses or certification to venture into this route, what I should be looking out for in terms of position if I am to start applying for jobs in this area and every information that will help with a smooth transitioning into this career path.
Please if this has already been touched on, please kindly refer me to the page number in the thread.
All contributions and insights will be of immense help to me. I'll be waiting to read from you all.

Thank you.

4 years in a big 4. You're hot cake! BA is easy to break into. I always advocate for it among immigrants. Having a certification is always an added advantage. Having a good CV is even more important though. The most important is to start applying and tweaking your CV and knowledge base with the job descriptions you find.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ugochinyere1(f): 11:05am On Jun 01, 2023
Solumtoya:

Passport needs to be valid
Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missb50: 11:59am On Jun 01, 2023
How do you guys get Practical Driving test dates?

Installed both Testi and Driving Test Now (Premium versions) with no luck.

I have been auto - refreshing the page myself (using java script) get blocked and unblocked, yet nothing (saw one for June yesterday but couldnt get it)!

Any help, abeg.

CC: AKALAMAGO
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by KOVIC19COVID20: 12:25pm On Jun 01, 2023
This is the ECONOMIST.

Guess who is being blamed?

Legally immigrated and hardworking International students & their very hardworking dependants.

Meanwhile, it has been really ‘nice’ seeing monikers who have never ever commented on this thread (from part 1) writing so much and casting aspersions on international students & their dependants - as someone called them: Suella-lets and Suella-lings.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 1:04pm On Jun 01, 2023
Knowlegeseeking:
Dear wise ones,

Thank you.

why don't you continue your career as an accountant especially since you have also studied accounting in the UK. My take is to get an accounting role, especially in a large organization like the big 4 or any other and then within the organisation switch to Business Analyst. Most large organisations like the Big 4 give opportunities for people to switch to other things after a while like a year. I think it's easier that way. And secondly, since you are good with numbers already as an accountant, another career you can switch to easily is Data Analysis to become a data analyst, and doing it within a large organisation is easier too. Just my opinion

In addition, all the short courses and certifications you need, you'll do it for free within the organisation you join with your accounting background

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Knowlegeseeking: 1:33pm On Jun 01, 2023
Thank you Solumtoya for your input.

Solumtoya:

4 years in a big 4. You're hot cake! BA is easy to break into. I always advocate for it among immigrants. Having a certification is always an added advantage. Having a good CV is even more important though. The most important is to start applying and tweaking your CV and knowledge base with the job descriptions you find.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Knowlegeseeking: 1:47pm On Jun 01, 2023
Thank you Goke for your input.

Yes I am good with numbers but this audit life "af tired me"😭.

One of the reasons I want to switch is because I want a role that affords me flexible working ( hybrid) which this audit has not allowed me enjoy. Shuttling between office and client site.

So while studying, I worked (still work) with a smaller audit firm on a part time basis and they have hinted on retaining me after graduation. However, I don't like the pay they are offering simply because I am not chartered yet. The big 4 I worked with while in Nigeria has scared me because Omo, I worked like jacky.

I want soft life now. I'm considering continuing with the firm here in the UK but I'm scared of the workload and since I am not chartered yet, they may want to downplay the pay.

I'm just trying to explore other career options (Business analyst) I can do with my experience.

Also, I am tired of writing exams😭. I don't mind doing short courses and all. I have just been reluctant with finishing my ACCA.

Bottomline is I am confused on how to move forward in my career. I need help!

Goke7:

why don't you continue your career as an accountant especially since you have also studied accounting in the UK. My take is to get an accounting role, especially in a large organization like the big 4 or any other and then within the organisation switch to Business Analyst. Most large organisations like the Big 4 give opportunities for people to switch to other things after a while like a year. I think it's easier that way. And secondly, since you are good with numbers already as an accountant, another career you can switch to easily is Data Analysis to become a data analyst, and doing it within a large organisation is easier too. Just my opinion

In addition, all the short courses and certifications you need, you'll do it for free within the organisation you join with your accounting background

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Knowlegeseeking: 1:48pm On Jun 01, 2023
Thank you Goke. I might just go with what you have suggested.

Knowlegeseeking:

One of the reasons I want to switch is because I want a role that affords me flexible working ( hybrid) which this audit has not allowed me enjoy. Shuttling between office and client site.

So while studying, I worked (still work) with a smaller audit firm on a part time basis and they have hinted on retaining me after graduation. However, I don't like the pay they are offering simply because I am not chartered yet. The big 4 I worked with while in Nigeria has scared me because Omo, I worked like jacky.

I want soft life now. I'm considering continuing with the firm here in the UK but I'm scared of the workload and since I am not chartered yet, they may want to downplay the pay.

I'm just trying to explore other career options (Business analyst) I can do with my experience.

Also, I am tired of writing exams😭. I don't mind doing short courses and all. I have just been reluctant with finishing my ACCA.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 1:58pm On Jun 01, 2023
Knowlegeseeking:

I agree with Goke that building more experience in the accounting / finance space might pay off longer term. Business analysis is perceived as easy to get into because the exams are relatively straightforward. However what makes you stand out as a BA and command higher day rates is the domain/industry knowledge. With more experience as an accountant especially with the bigger firms, you'll have more options like contracting , business analysis or consulting as an industry expert.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 2:12pm On Jun 01, 2023
I want to apply for visitor visa for my mum. The visit will be sponsored by myself and my brother. Do I need to attach bank statement or payslip and employment letter is enough.

If bank statement is necessary, on average what balance should be in it.

Also someone suggested I get an affidavit from a lawyer backing the visit. Has anyone used this approach before?

Do I need to submit my mum's bank statement as well?

Any clues to strengthen the application?

If you have applied for your parents and it was denied please share the reason 🙏

All suggestions are welcome.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 2:28pm On Jun 01, 2023
Knowlegeseeking:

Calm down I know how you feel, we've all been there, and you are on the right track but you see this Uk, it's an experience-based job market so the experience and skills you have from Naija that is relevant to the Uk now is where you should start from to break into your desired career no matter the pay. Getting a BA role right away might be a challenge without experience and don't mind the naysayers out there saying things like within 3 months you can get a BA role, those who follow that route start struggling on the job and many have been booted out. I believe in going through the process to get real domain knowledge like Zahra said and he's very right about that. Take a deep breath, continue the job you're doing now, and start applying to Large financial firms or other sectors big firms, apart from accounting if you have other skills like KYC and AML, put them on your profile and apply to such roles, most times it's just basic knowledge they want. The trick about the Uk is to humble yourself, start small, and play the long game, it doesn't even take long as in one year, you will be shocked at how things will move fast. Get into a large firm and take advantage of their BA and data analysis courses from very reputable and accredited organisations. Your profile of working in such a firm and the new certifications you have done will land you that desired role. This is my personal experience and story.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 2:35pm On Jun 01, 2023
Viruses:
I want to apply for visitor visa for my mum. The visit will be sponsored by myself and my brother. Do I need to attach bank statement or payslip and employment letter is enough.

If bank statement is necessary, on average what balance should be in it.

Also someone suggested I get an affidavit from a lawyer backing the visit. Has anyone used this approach before?

Do I need to submit my mum's bank statement as well?

Any clues to strengthen the application?

If you have applied for your parents and it was denied please share the reason 🙏

All suggestions are welcome.

Two things:
1. Don't overthink it. After application, but before document upload, a lot will be clearer.
2. Be honest, and let it make sense to an intelligent person. For instance, You can't say your Mum earns N35k but has N4m in her account. It's mostly likely a lie and doesn't even make sense.

Now for your questions:
Yes, you should upload Employment Letter, Bank Statements and Payslips where possible. It's better to have to much evidence than too little.

There's no average amount but let it make sense. If your Mum is visiting for a Month, how much do you honestly think will be needed? Maybe £1k for flight, £200 per week for hosting her and another £500 for shopping. So £2k or £3k for the month visit.

You need to upload your Mum's Bank Statement too. I think they want to see that her financial footprints aligns with the occupation or status quoted so this usually a big reason for rejection. If she has too much or little activities for her status.

Affidavit, that's just weird, fam.

To strengthen your application will be in two letters:
1. Cover Letter from the Application (your Mum) explaining her visit, any gray areas, and proving that she will not overstay by showing she has ties to her home Country like landed properties, family members, other activities, etc.
2. Invitation/Sponsorship Letter from you and your brother. Again explaining your living conditions, your income, any gray areas in your finances or statements, just generally convincing the Officer that you indeed want your Mum to visit and you're capable of hosting her without bothering the system.

Don't be afraid to throw in pictures of you and Mum, birth certificates, etc.

I could go on and on but you get the gist. I've seen people denied for so many reasons:
1. Not enough evidence that the visitor is related to the person inviting as a relative
2. Fake or too much unexplained inflow in the account
3. Not enough evidence that the person inviting really wants the applicant to come. This one is a little funny.
4. Insufficient proof of financial sponsorship
5. Insufficient proof that the applicant will return home after the visit.

ETC... I don't wanna make this too long, but feel free to ask any question.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 2:39pm On Jun 01, 2023
Goke7:

Calm down I know how you feel, we've all been there, and you are on the right track but you see this Uk, it's an experience-based job market so the experience and skills you have from Naija that is relevant to the Uk now is where you should start from to break into your desired career no matter the pay. Getting a BA role right away might be a challenge without experience and don't mind the naysayers out there saying things like within 3 months you can get a BA role, those who follow that route start struggling on the job and many have been booted out. I believe in going through the process to get real domain knowledge like Zahra said and he's very right about that. Take a deep breath, continue the job you're doing now, and start applying to Large financial firms or other sectors big firms, apart from accounting if you have other skills like KYC and AML, put them on your profile and apply to such roles, most times it's just basic knowledge they want. The trick about the Uk is to humble yourself, start small, and play the long game, it doesn't even take long as in one year, you will be shocked at how things will move fast. Get into a large firm and take advantage of their BA and data analysis courses from very reputable and accredited organisations. Your profile of working in such a firm and the new certifications you have done will land you that desired role. This is my personal experience and story.

"Naysayers"

Apart from that, this is good advice though.

I personally think you can choose to switch to BA, your experience is rich enough for the switch. If you're not enjoying Auditing/Accounting, feel free to chase your dream of BA.

The BA space is even getting choked now so if you push it to later, it might only get more difficult to break in.

The choice is yours, either way, I think you will be fine though.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AKALAMAGBO: 2:44pm On Jun 01, 2023
Honestly, I didn’t use the app. My trainer gave me a number to call, obviously there are some people who could help you get the date faster, I think that’s their job. My booking fee was £75 or so because it was a bank holiday test date and they charged £25 for their own admin fee… I paid £105 and I got the test within 2 weeks ( mind you, they only collected the payment after they’ve booked my test). I don’t have the time checking one Testi app every time like my life depend on it, I really hate stress.

missb50:

I have been auto - refreshing the page myself (using java script) get blocked and unblocked, yet nothing (saw one for June yesterday but couldnt get it)!

Any help, abeg.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 2:44pm On Jun 01, 2023
Solumtoya:

"Naysayers"

Apart from that, this is good advice though.

I personally think you can choose to switch to BA, your experience is rich enough for the switch. If you're not enjoying Auditing/Accounting, feel free to chase your dream of BA.

The BA space is even getting choked now so if you push it to later, it might only get more difficult to break in.

The choice is yours, either way, I think you will be fine though.

That is why he should take his time, employers are beginning to see the rush from those who want to do the quick fix and are beginning to scrutinize further
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 2:50pm On Jun 01, 2023
Goke7:

That is why he should take his time, employers are beginning to see the rush from those who want to do the quick fix and are beginning to scrutinize further

I see your point o. BUT you forget this is a guy on Tier 4, there's no time to "take his time". He said he wants to switch career and is tired of accounting which he is working in currently here in the UK. He also doesn't feel like doing ACCA so the earlier he switches, the better for him. He doesn't really have the luxury of time unless he wants to remain in Accounting/Auditing for a long time.

He's gained enough UK experience, so many Employers might be willing to take him in as a BA, he's not exactly inexperienced.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 2:54pm On Jun 01, 2023
Solumtoya:

I see your point o. BUT you forget this is a guy on Tier 4, there's no time to "take his time". He said he wants to switch career and is tired of accounting which he is working in currently here in the UK. He also doesn't feel like doing ACCA so the earlier he switches, the better for him. He doesn't really have the luxury of time unless he wants to remain in Accounting/Auditing for a long time.

He's gained enough UK experience, so many Employers might be willing to take him in as a BA, he's not exactly inexperienced.

I appreciate your point too so it's left to him to decide. Cheers

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nelsmannnnnnnnn(m): 2:56pm On Jun 01, 2023
Good day guys,

Please I want to ask, I'm currently a student here in the Youkay. My school sent me a mail to face an academic misconduct panel for one of my assignment were the similarity score is 35%. I find this disturbing because I did my work by myself, reference all articles used, in fact I did everything required of me. Bulk of the 35% is made up of my references of which I cannot do anything about it. My peeps have more than 35% but was not invited.

Though I'm confident of what I did but don't know why they have to send me such destabilising mail.

Is anyone here who have experience such situation, pls advice.

Cc: Justwise
Cc: All
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Akorkor(f): 4:15pm On Jun 01, 2023
missb50:

Any help, abeg.

Use the free one which was what I used when I was looking for closer date. I didn't pay a dine and I was able to change my date 3 times once I get notified of the available date. It worked like magic. I have also used this for friend.

8 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (533) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: Lexusgs430, LaXxOnebody(m), dupyshoo and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.