Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,816 members, 7,817,365 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:06 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (374) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (467409 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (371) (372) (373) (374) (375) (376) (377) ... (539) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Strata1716: 10:23am On Dec 16, 2023
umarwy:

What if she poisons you or chook you knife?

Will you still be thinking about stress/cost of moving out?

Actually she’s moving out, I refused to moved out and told my landlord they have no right to ask me to leave, quoted the law for them in a strongly worded email and she will be moving out now.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Angela90: 10:28am On Dec 16, 2023
Chreze:

I believe this will be best, but sometimes people run into emergencies and want to risk it. I will rather get paid by Uphold and wait for whatever happens in the future (eg tax πŸ˜‚) than UK P2P.

I no fit risk my future for UK or any other country I move to. Any foreign relocation now will request for police clearance for last 5yrs and this includes any/every country you lived in that period.

Now person don understand so many things.

1- Are you using Binance as a UK resident?
2- How do you avoid the tax on crypto? I heard the tax is crazy.
3- What is Uphold? You said you'd rather get paid by Uphold
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 10:34am On Dec 16, 2023
Estroller:

Congratulations, we dey expect house warming invite.
Thank you. House warming wey be tomorrow πŸ˜€
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 10:37am On Dec 16, 2023
ehizario2012:

Congratulations boss man. Congratulations to your wife too, without her support it might have been harder.

Inspiration full this thread I swear, just choose the one you want!
Thank you very much.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 10:39am On Dec 16, 2023
Peerielass:
Congratulations @viruses.

Thanks alot, I appreciate
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 10:40am On Dec 16, 2023
AKALAMAGBO:
Congrats my brother πŸ₯‚πŸ₯‚

Thanks alot, God bless you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by iyatrustee(f): 10:45am On Dec 16, 2023
Strata1716:

Actually she’s moving out, I refused to moved out and told my landlord they have no right to ask me to leave, quoted the law for them in a strongly worded email and she will be moving out now.

What was their response to your email?

Is she moving out immediately or at the expiration of the notice period?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Bourne007(m): 10:45am On Dec 16, 2023
Congrats sir πŸ‘πŸΌ. At what interest rate?

Viruses:

Thanks alot, God bless you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Poanan: 11:19am On Dec 16, 2023
umarwy:

Getting a white collar job or high paying job in UK is about demonstrable skills.

They don't value certificates/certification or bloated CVS.

People with demonstrable skills still get and change jobs every day

It is you and God. What skills will they be looking for that someone like that will not have. Someone that can pass cfa all stages cannot be daft. He was working for international investment bank in Nigeria. Any body that can work a Russian investment in some depts cannot be stupid.
In healthcare assistant jobs theu are crazy about cert because they easily pass that but when it comes to the other one they say it is skills cos u cannot defend it so much during interview.
Some foolish ones will say it is attitude and every thing can be learnt . How do u determine someone with the right attitude to work within 30mins for an external candidate?
My female cousin who graduated years ago without job in Nigeria started doing catering in Nigeria didnt stay up to months after graduation she got a job in this UK and dont go telling me skills.
I have anotherguy who told an agent not put him forward for strategic post where he will be in charge of a team because he knew that unconscious bias will be involved. To some Europeans every african represents someone who lives on a tree.
Have u asked yourself why a group of people came up with 10k black interns?
If you have a job because of your skills good for you but don't think others do not have because they are unskilled or not smart. It is all about "time and chance"

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Jamesclooney: 11:41am On Dec 16, 2023
Viruses:
If you are planning on bringing in huge funds for the purchase, bring it well before hand to avoid plenty explanation, six months statement is usually required but sometimes, while you're explaining an inflow, you may be required to bring statements dating further back.
My appreciation goes to everyone who have contributed to mortgage issues on this thread, I learnt alot and the information gained were useful.

Congrats brother! Please I have a question. I want to buy a new build first home as well. Middle of 2024 will make it 2years.

I’m in Nigeria at the moment. I’m liquidating my domiciliary account and want to carry about $12,000 or more cash on me to avoid FX losses when I convert to GBP. It’s legitimate income from employment. Has anyone done this before? What do I need to upon landing? Anything to declare.

Also how do I avoid questions around AML?

Lastly, is money box same thing as Lifetime ISA ? I have an account with Newcastle building society.

Thanks ahead

Cc
@ticha
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 12:15pm On Dec 16, 2023
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Gloriouscrown: 12:41pm On Dec 16, 2023
Viruses:
Been waiting to share this, wanted to have my keys first.

So after exactly 2 years in the UK, I got a house on a mortgage, new build.

Process took 2 months from when I identified and decided on the building, could have taken less but I intentionally delayed it because I needed the next salary to complete the deposit and I applied for the mortgage like a month before the 2 years would actually complete.

I don't know how to write plenty, I'll just drop whatever information I think is useful so if you have any questions, ask.

You need like 2 years residence history to stand a chance of mortgage approval.

Mortgage Advisors play a role, one advisor said Barclays can only give me for 40yrs duration, another advisor gave me the same Barclays for 30yrs.

It's difficult to decide on 2 or 5 yrs fixed term so do your research, I went for 5 yrs but at a point, I was thinking of changing to 2 yrs but I guess we've passed that step now.

If you are planning on bringing in huge funds for the purchase, bring it well before hand to avoid plenty explanation, six months statement is usually required but sometimes, while you're explaining an inflow, you may be required to bring statements dating further back.

It's OK to negotiate rates, sometimes if the lender does not hear back from you on time, they will contact you and reduce the rate without you asking, perhaps they thought you have not responded because of the rate.

For new builds, beside the decision on whether to do 2 or 5 yrs and the choice of house, I don't think there are any special skills or knowledge required, advisors will be doing their thing and giving you update, solicitors will be doing their thing and giving updates, if they require any information they will reach out. Your own is to read and sign documents and ask questions as they arise.

While your income play a role in how much you can borrow, your outgoing play a role in your affordability. The lender complained about my outgoing and the mortgage advisor advised that I reduce my son's days in school to reduce the fees. So I just told them to remove the school fees entirely and explained that he will stay with his aunty, whether I implement that does not matter again. Other options will be to pay off car insurance for the year to reduce the monthly outgoing or pay part of the car loan to reduce the monthly payments.

If you haven't, start your moneybox journey, I got 4k free from moneybox. Me 2k, wife 2k.

If it's a new build, you can buy towards the time when most of the houses are sold, as the houses are getting sold, they begin to introduce discounts and cashback. I was lucky to buy the show home (isn't this rare?) although the furnitures were removed, some other items like curtains and decor were left. The catch here is if it takes long to sell, prices and rates would have changed (this may be good or bad depending on whether it goes up or down) and the particular house you are waiting for may not be waiting for you.

There are lots of schemes available especially for new builds including first home schemes and shared ownership, depending on your money, you can explore these. I didn't use any scheme because I could raise the deposit.

Credit score matters but credit history matters more. Credit history does not mean using credit up and down, it simply means don't miss credit payments.

There's hardly a right time to start the process, just get an idea of the area and cost of the building you want, raise some money and approach a mortgage advisor and things will begin to unfold and become clear.

My appreciation goes to everyone who have contributed to mortgage issues on this thread, I learnt alot and the information gained were useful.

Congratulations
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Chinlov: 12:47pm On Dec 16, 2023
AKALAMAGBO:
Congratulate and pass… which one is without her support, it might have been harder.

Where in his message did he mention somehting like that?

Ahhh na wao... but he did say his wife's moneybox brought in 2k...must we fight over everything

@ viruses, big congratulations!!! this kind of story is a good reason to remain in this forum.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 12:59pm On Dec 16, 2023
Thewritingnerd:
Hi guys,
To current and past students here, has anyone had any experience of successfully contesting a grade? How did it go? πŸ€”

They more or less told me "Just dey play"

grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LionInZion: 1:53pm On Dec 16, 2023
Poanan:

It is you and God. What skills will they be looking for that someone like that will not have. Someone that can pass cfa all stages cannot be daft. He was working for international investment bank in Nigeria. Any body that can work a Russian investment in some depts cannot be stupid.
In healthcare assistant jobs theu are crazy about cert because they easily pass that but when it comes to the other one they say it is skills cos u cannot defend it so much during interview.
Some foolish ones will say it is attitude and every thing can be learnt . How do u determine someone with the right attitude to work within 30mins for an external candidate?
My female cousin who graduated years ago without job in Nigeria started doing catering in Nigeria didnt stay up to months after graduation she got a job in this UK and dont go telling me skills.
I have anotherguy who told an agent not put him forward for strategic post where he will be in charge of a team because he knew that unconscious bias will be involved. To some Europeans every african represents someone who lives on a tree.
Have u asked yourself why a group of people came up with 10k black interns?
If you have a job because of your skills good for you but don't think others do not have because they are unskilled or not smart. It is all about "time and chance"

@Poanan,

So many strong statements and jabs in this short post of yours. It makes me wonder if you are talking about different UK that I also live in.
1. A lot can be determined within the short 30-minute interview by both the interviewer and interviewee, and there is also a probation period.
2. Why would anyone chicken out of a prospective great role if they are confident of their ability?
3. If any European is still thinking Africans live in trees, it's not because they are European - it's because they are foolish. And foolishness isn't peculiar to a race.

Lastly, if I may freely advise, you might need to start letting go of certain prejudices.

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by donshaddow(m): 2:21pm On Dec 16, 2023
lavida001:
Anyone still up for joint house rent in London.

Looking for 4 guys we can join funds and rent a house together.

Where in London?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by haywhy80: 2:30pm On Dec 16, 2023
triplo3:

Sorry can you elaborate further.
I have a USD Mastercard already.
Are you saying I should go to the Naija bank branch and ask for a cash withdrawal then use Aboki to change to GBP? Or for them to put it in GBP (?) Mastercard?

Sincere apologies for my late response. You don't need to use Aboki to change to GBP.
You can use your mastercard anywhere - both withdrawal and on POS. You don't need to use Aboki to change to GBP.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 2:31pm On Dec 16, 2023
Viruses:
Been waiting to share this, wanted to have my keys first.

So after exactly 2 years in the UK, I got a house on a mortgage, new build.

Congratulations πŸŽ‰
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 2:33pm On Dec 16, 2023
LionInZion:

@Poanan,

So many strong statements and jabs in this short post of yours. It makes me wonder if you are talking about different UK that I also live in.
1. A lot can be determined within the short 30-minute interview by both the interviewer and interviewee, and there is also a probation period.
2. Why would anyone chicken out of a prospective great role if they are confident of their ability?
3. If any European is still thinking Africans live in trees, it's not because they are European - it's because they are foolish. And foolishness isn't peculiar to a race.

Lastly, if I may freely advise, you might need to start letting go of certain prejudices.

Lol @ the bolded πŸ˜‚
Hear hear...

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Poanan: 2:37pm On Dec 16, 2023
LionInZion:

@Poanan,

Haha Noo I am saying people should not try Noo. What i am saying is that thinking of "I am skilled" and others are not. A guy played that card in my class and where did it land him at the end of the day? Not like he is dumb but where did it land him?. The race is not for the swift does not mean people should not prepare. I do not have anything against people. The person who brought me to the level I am in my career today is my white boss. But i wont make statement that seem to be a bit condescending on others.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 3:27pm On Dec 16, 2023
Bourne007:
Congrats sir πŸ‘πŸΌ. At what interest rate?

5.3% 5yrs

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 3:37pm On Dec 16, 2023
Jamesclooney:

Congrats brother! Please I have a question. I want to buy a new build first home as well. Middle of 2024 will make it 2years.

I’m in Nigeria at the moment. I’m liquidating my domiciliary account and want to carry about $12,000 or more cash on me to avoid FX losses when I convert to GBP. It’s legitimate income from employment. Has anyone done this before? What do I need to upon landing? Anything to declare.

Also how do I avoid questions around AML?

Lastly, is money box same thing as Lifetime ISA ? I have an account with Newcastle building society.

Thanks ahead

Cc
@ticha

I don't know the max limit of cash you can travel with to UK but that information should be freely available and accessible online.

Yes my moneybox account for this purpose was LISA.

Your $ is useless in UK until converted to Β£ and you are better off doing the conversion in Nigeria because you'll incure more loss doing it in UK.

If you didn't launder the money, you don't need to fear or avoid questions concerning AML.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 3:38pm On Dec 16, 2023
Gloriouscrown:

Congratulations

Thanks, I appreciate
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 3:39pm On Dec 16, 2023
Chinlov:

Ahhh na wao... but he did say his wife's moneybox brought in 2k...must we fight over everything

@ viruses, big congratulations!!! this kind of story is a good reason to remain in this forum.

Thanks you very much.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 3:41pm On Dec 16, 2023
Zahra29:

Congratulations πŸŽ‰
Thank you very much, God bless you.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 3:48pm On Dec 16, 2023
WISDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LionInZion:

@Poanan,

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 4:07pm On Dec 16, 2023
πŸ’€πŸ€£
hustla:

Immigrants.

They have overloaded the power grid

grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 4:18pm On Dec 16, 2023
Sermonnnn!! 🀌🏾πŸ”₯
Goodenoch:

….
The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not evidence.

Attempting to extrapolate individual experiences to cast a group of people as having any particular character (whether positive or negative) always leads to nothing but prejudice.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 4:32pm On Dec 16, 2023
I always just take a screenshot of the scan code or save as pdf to prevent slow-network embarrassment.
bigtt76:
Tru, I should look at this option next time. Though the Trainline app I use sef, de embarrass me sometime when trying to pull up the tickets cheesy e too slow cheesy

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 4:38pm On Dec 16, 2023
Quoting to save.
hayesconcept:
Congratulations, go and prepare for your interview like a pro. Prepare your answer using STAR techniques. I.e Situation, Task, Action, and Results. Always talk more om action and results. Always personalised your experience, make use of more of β€˜i’ rather than β€˜we’. Practice like your life depends on it and record yourself during the practice too.

If you read the Civil service Competency Framework you will get an idea of the type of evidence they are looking for in terms of positive behaviours that you are expected to demonstrate. These can shape your answers, even if you don't know 'The' Questions.

Managing a Quality Service

β€’ How do you and your team understand what the standards required by your customers are?
β€’ Give me an example of how you have demonstrated an understanding of customer needs
β€’ What steps have you taken to understand how you and your team perform against performance/ customer standards?
β€’ How do you respond to customer feedback?
β€’ Can you describe a time when you have been proactive in finding a solution to a problem encountered by your customers?

Leading and Communicating
β€’ When communicating to staff how have you ensured your communication is clear, well structured and tailored to your audience?
β€’ Can you give an example of how you have engaged your team in discussions about changes taking place in your unit, business area or Department?
β€’ Tell me about a time when you have had to influence a senior manager, stakeholder or partner and how you went about this?
β€’ Tell me about a time when you have had to use written communication to successfully influence someone? How did you go about structuring your written communication?

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Jamesclooney: 4:38pm On Dec 16, 2023
Viruses:

I don't know the max limit of cash you can travel with to UK but that information should be freely available and accessible online.

Yes my moneybox account for this purpose was LISA.

Your $ is useless in UK until converted to Β£ and you are better off doing the conversion in Nigeria because you'll incure more loss doing it in UK.

If you didn't launder the money, you don't need to fear or avoid questions concerning AML.

Thanks for your response. Any difference in making a big cash deposit into my UK bank account or doing it in piecemeal say Β£2k per month for 6 months (Jan - June), then apply for mortgage in Jun or thereabouts?

Also to show proof of earning the money, would I be asked to show my payslips from Nigerian company from two years+ (the last payslip from Naija company was in March 2022). Note Naira was then paid to Aboki for deposit into my domicilary account.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thewritingnerd(f): 4:41pm On Dec 16, 2023
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Goodenoch:

Nigeria, where there's no racism and there are only low taxes, and no drastic policy changes or IHS fees to be paid.

(1) (2) (3) ... (371) (372) (373) (374) (375) (376) (377) ... (539) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: opeoyek, ooty, 9ger, Wegetju, Tstone1(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.