Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,197 members, 7,829,287 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:04 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (399) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (486413 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (396) (397) (398) (399) (400) (401) (402) ... (554) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 12:32am On Jan 10
bigtt76:
Hmmm ...thank you for this explanation cheesy ...so they only reduced the NI to enable access it via tax and put in another pool for their spending on other things and shoook us £2 in return ....we no go gree cheesy

No gree o this 2024. Its them vs the people. I pity anyone canvassing for them.it won't be easy.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by deept(m): 2:21am On Jan 10
missjekyll:

No gree o this 2024. Its them vs the people. I pity anyone canvassing for them.it won't be easy.

Who we go come gree for? Are the alternatives actually alternatives?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 2:34am On Jan 10
deept:

Who we go come gree for? Are the alternatives actually alternatives?

Yes , Labour is. My life is objectively worse than it was 5 years ago. I need a change and by jove, I m going to get it.

I draw the line at anything illegal but I m going to knock on every door. Canvass everywhere and talk to everyone. Tories gotta go.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 4:51am On Jan 10
missjekyll:

Yes , Labour is. My life is objectively worse than it was 5 years ago. I need a change and by jove, I m going to get it.

I draw the line at anything illegal but I m going to knock on every door. Canvass everywhere and talk to everyone. Tories gotta go.

The Tories are already gone, they're just "squatting" in No 10 pending when the GE is finally called.

Imo, save some energy to hold the new Labour government to account when they get into office so that we do see the changes (or at least concrete steps towards the changes) that they have promised and that the country so badly needs.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by elengine: 7:14am On Jan 10
Abeg. Does anyone have experience about this car. It is 2016 model and am considering it.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by deept(m): 8:24am On Jan 10
missjekyll:

Glad to see someone passionate about politics. But personally don't see anything getting better with anyone of them.

Why are you so optimistic about Labour? Why do you think they would do better?

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by rowon(m): 11:08am On Jan 10
Hi everyone, does any one have a sure plug for fast tracking of passport collection in London.
Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 11:22am On Jan 10
deept:

Glad to see someone passionate about politics. But personally don't see anything getting better with anyone of them.

Labour is EXACTLY like Nigerian APC in 2014. Lots of promises. Lots of hot air. Zero substance. Ask them the simplest question about the ‘HOW’ and they begin to starmer (pun intended).
Ask them how they will cut NHS waiting times, they starmer and blow more hot air. Ask them if they are going to decrease or increase taxes, for the ordinary person, they will say they want private schools to pay taxes. Ask them how they will fund their fantasies, they will tell you NonDom. As if nondom is a silver bullet.

Even on this thread, ask the most vocal Labour supporter (missjekyll) she will just go on and on rehashing punch lines.

All, very hot air.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 11:22am On Jan 10
deept:

1.Give me a parameter and I ll give you figures that show it was better 14 years ago. Even better, Google this for yourself.

2. My dog could do better than the tories at government. I m not being facetious, I truly believe this.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 11:25am On Jan 10
ReesheesuKnack:

Labour is EXACTLY like Nigerian APC in 2014. Lots of promises. Lots of hot air. Zero substance. Ask them the simplest question about the ‘HOW’ and they begin to starmer (pun intended).
Ask them how they will cut NHS waiting times, they starmer and blow more hot air. Ask them if they are going to decrease or increase taxes, for the ordinary person, they will say they want private schools to pay taxes. Ask them how they will fund their fantasies, they will tell you NonDom. As if nondom is a silver bullet.

Even on this thread, ask the most vocal Labour supporter (missjekyll) she will just go on and on rehashing punch lines.

All, very hot air.

Do exactly what your conscience tells you to.
Tories are going.They ve broken enough.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by deept(m): 11:42am On Jan 10
missjekyll:

1.Give me a parameter and I ll give you figures that show it was better 14 years ago. Even better, Google this for yourself.

2. My dog could do better than the tories at government. I m not being facetious, I truly believe this.

Dynamics have changed, the world has changed. Governing 14 years ago is different from what it is today. I have no political leaning and I a genuinely willing to learn, not calling you or labour about.

I look in the news, Birmingham city council declared bankruptcy, a labour run council for the greater part of 40 years with services and everything in decline. They are looking on increasing council tax by 10%, the max allowed is 5%. Look at Wales, Labour run; Scotland SNP, all of them are no better.

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by deept(m): 11:53am On Jan 10
ReesheesuKnack:

All, very hot air.

I somewhat agree. Their policies are always better in hindsight.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lightofjoy(m): 12:29pm On Jan 10
Glory to God and thanks to everyone in the house, the skilled worker application I did for a close person came out positive.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 1:57pm On Jan 10
deept:

I somewhat agree. Their policies are always better in hindsight.

Just compare what missjekyll is going on about with what Osinbajo, Fashola, Buhari, etc were saying in 2014 about ‘16 years of PDP misrule’.

Granted, the PDP was dog’s dinner by January 2015. The APC was seen as ‘the change’.
The APC fumed about $1 = N216
The APC promised allowances to all unemployed people. They promised better education, better everything etc… even vexed at the number of planes in the PAF (presidential Air Fleet).

Just like 2024 UK Labour, the APC failed to tell Nigerian EXACTLY how they will achieve their lofty ambitions. They failed to say precisely how they would raise money, and how they would do it differently .

That is precisely what UK Labour is doing now, they are hoping that the electorates will be so angry with the Tory status quo, and vote them, without questioning their policies.
Ask them the simplest question, and hear them pour out rhetorics about ‘14 years of Tory misrule’ . Oya how will you solve it? “14 years Tory misrule “. What is your policy on immigration? “15 years Tory misrule”. What is your policy on taxes? “14 years Tory misrule” How will you clear the NHS backlog? “14 years Yoey misrule “ The Labour Party has been leading Cymru for eons, how come the Health service in wales is not better off? “14 years Tory misrule”
Shuooooo…

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 2:05pm On Jan 10
missjekyll:

Do exactly what your conscience tells you to.
Tories are going.They ve broken enough.

The use of ‘conscience’ in this context sound a bit like some sort of emotional blackmail.
Use facts & figures to wow me… if you knock on my door, you will not tell me to use my conscience . You will tell me how awful the Tories have been, but I will ask you to tell me HOW Labour will solve it. I will ask for your policies. I will ask you about your policies in Wales. I will ask you to show me how Labour-run councils (like Birmingham) have fared compared to the woeful Tory-run councils.

Is it too much to ask Labour the HOW? Is it too much to ask Labour to elucidate on their policies?

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LaXxOnebody(m): 2:57pm On Jan 10
Edited as there was a typo.

As an independent observer, can you tell me how the Tories will improve my life going forward?

I see you referenced APC & PDP from Nigeria's pre-2015 elections. The truth in there also is that government was terrible. Successive ones have just taken it further.

As far as I'm concerned you both haven’t made strong enough cases for the defender and challenger.

ReesheesuKnack:

Just compare what missjekyll is going on about with what Osinbajo, Fashola, Buhari, etc were saying in 2014 about ‘16 years of PDP misrule’.

Granted, the PDP was dog’s dinner by January 2015. The APC was seen as ‘the change’.
The APC fumed about $1 = N216
The APC promised allowances to all unemployed people. They promised better education, better everything etc… even vexed at the number of planes in the PAF (presidential Air Fleet).

Just like 2024 UK Labour, the APC failed to tell Nigerian EXACTLY how they will achieve their lofty ambitions. They failed to say precisely how they would raise money, and how they would do it differently .

That is precisely what UK Labour is doing now, they are hoping that the electorates will be so angry with the Tory status quo, and vote them, without questioning their policies.
Ask them the simplest question, and hear them pour out rhetorics about ‘14 years of Tory misrule’ . Oya how will you solve it? “14 years Tory misrule “. What is your policy on immigration? “15 years Tory misrule”. What is your policy on taxes? “14 years Tory misrule” How will you clear the NHS backlog? “14 years Yoey misrule “ The Labour Party has been leading Cymru for eons, how come the Health service in wales is not better off? “14 years Tory misrule”
Shuooooo…

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by elengine: 5:30pm On Jan 10
elengine:
Abeg. Does anyone have experience about this car. It is 2016 model and am considering it.

Do you people want to wait until I buy the car before you give your opinion. I will make sure you all bear the cost if I buy eba oh.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 7:46pm On Jan 10
eyesaswide:
Hello Elders, please I need your input in this. Someone I know was on student dependent visa and was working as a support worker. Along the line she got pregnant and went on maternity leave but was not entitled to statutory maternity pay so she got maternity allowance. She has verbally told employer she would stay up to 9 months for her maternity leave. During her leave her visa was about to expire when she approached her employer for the possibility of a sponsorship. Employer agreed and gave her a cos which she has applied for the visa.

Employer is now insisting she resumes immediately, meanwhile she is still trying to arrange childcare and all before the previously agreed time (9 months). Nb employer is threatening to cancel Cos and withdraw sponsorship.

Please how should she approach this?

Maternity is protected under employment law, and employers are required to adhere to regulations regarding maternity leave and rights. This could be considered discriminatory.

Would advise to seek legal advice specializing in employment law or workers' rights.

If you are registered under union would advice to contact them as they might provide you with some advice m.

Could google (skilled worker caseworker guidance’ ) there is an information there that states reason why sponsorship can be withdrawn which I believe maternity is not included.

Could seek advice from CitizenAdvice also I think.

This is just a guess: =>be very sure that you are not at fault in this area probably maybe you utter a sentence or clause regarding resuming earlier if given the COS which might be the reason why the employer asking you to resume.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 8:21pm On Jan 10
elengine:

Do you people want to wait until I buy the car before you give your opinion. I will make sure you all bear the cost if I buy eba oh.

Looks decent enough. If you decide to go for it, ensure you get proper winter tyres in the winter. BMW is notorious for sliding everywhere.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by vikaosi: 8:53pm On Jan 10
Please can someone advise. Does the ban on care workers bringing dependents affect those already in the UK. I apologise if this has already been answered.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Osoderi(m): 9:52pm On Jan 10
Hello house have any body travelled to Romania before. I want to know how one can get their visa from the UK
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Santa2: 11:29pm On Jan 10
elengine:

I do not have experience with car but I will ask; Have you done an HPI Check?
You could use totalcarcheck (dot) co (dot) uk used to be about £8.99 or £14.99 for their premium package, 3 checks I believe.

Here is a checklist someone posted some time ago on this forum

Buying a car

- Ensure during your test drive, upon set off, the automatic gearbox is not jerky
- Check the spare tyre well, is dry.
- Check the rear mats area is dry
- Ensure no bangs and knocks from suspension is observed
- Check MOT history from government website
- Conduct an HPI vehicle check
- Check that AC is blowing cold......

12 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AvailableD(f): 12:44am On Jan 11
Will like to know this too, what if someone is switching from one employer and gets another COS does that means the dependants won't be able to switch as well at that time?
vikaosi:
Please can someone advise. Does the ban on care workers bringing dependents affect those already in the UK. I apologise if this has already been answered.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 1:32am On Jan 11
Santa2:

You could use totalcarcheck (dot) co (dot) uk used to be about £8.99 or £14.99 for their premium package, 3 checks I believe.

Buying a car

- Ensure during your test drive, upon set off, the automatic gearbox is not jerky

NB: Some of this checklist, was specific to the Honda Jazz ......🤣

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by autologic: 8:00am On Jan 11
eyesaswide:
Hello Elders, please I need your input in this. Someone I know was on student dependent visa and was working as a support worker. Along the line she got pregnant and went on maternity leave but was not entitled to statutory maternity pay so she got maternity allowance. She has verbally told employer she would stay up to 9 months for her maternity leave. During her leave her visa was about to expire when she approached her employer for the possibility of a sponsorship. Employer agreed and gave her a cos which she has applied for the visa.

Employer is now insisting she resumes immediately, meanwhile she is still trying to arrange childcare and all before the previously agreed time (9 months). Nb employer is threatening to cancel Cos and withdraw sponsorship.

Tell her to go and join union. Union go like a case like this as Pregnancy and Matenity remain one of the 9 protected characteristics that no employer mess up with .

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by autologic: 8:09am On Jan 11
elengine:

Can you PM me with the car registration no ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by elengine: 8:45am On Jan 11
Santa2:

Buying a car

Thank you so much for this robust response. I will follow through

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hyzich(m): 11:09am On Jan 11
Hi All,

Please I need your advice on situation.

I applied for a role with an oil & gas coy but somehow I missed the part with the ability to provide SC on the job post. We have gone past some stages and I went back to check to prep for next interview and I saw it.

I am confused here if to continue with the interview because I have only spent 1 year in UK and I heard I need up to 5 yeas residency to get a SC clearance. Please how can I manage this?

Cc.. zara29 lexusgs430 , tier4dependant
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 11:43am On Jan 11
vikaosi:

It won't affect those who are already on a care visa. It will affect those in the UK who apply for a care visa after the policy is implemented

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 11:46am On Jan 11
eyesaswide:

What was agreed in writing regarding her return to work date?

What is the start date on the cos/ visa?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 12:06pm On Jan 11
eyesaswide:

My take on this: Let her plead, beg, implore , beg and plead with the employer to give her some time to arrange child care.
From my experience of these matters (and based on what you have posted here), it will amount to a massive waste of her time, resources and mental health if she pursues some of the options being mentioned by respondents here.

Posers are:
a. She verbally told employer she would be on mat leave for 9 months? Where is the evidence such a thing was agreed?

b. When she was on a tier-4 dependant visa and working for this employer (note my choice of words, I didn’t use EMPLOYED), did she sign a contract? Was she on zero-hours contract or permanent employment?

c. Was she interviewed before she was given a CoS? What does the transcript of the interview say? Did she agree at interview that she will start immediately? What was the agreed start date at interview?

d. A CoS is NOT a job contract. If the employer decides to revoke a CoS, the employer could cite that the prospective employee provided false (or misleading) information during interview.

Etc…..

In conclusion, tell this woman to beg, plead and plead again and again. She (actually) has no locus standi to claim wrongful dismissal.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (396) (397) (398) (399) (400) (401) (402) ... (554) (Reply)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3

Viewing this topic: Zahra29, ooty, sauceEEP(m), ipassu, babylawyr(f), f4flakes(f) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.