Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:50 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (496) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (467055 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (493) (494) (495) (496) (497) (498) (499) ... (538) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by GraciousWords: 3:48pm On Mar 20
jedisco:

...with the new category based entry draws (which includes STEM), age has much less of an effect on the outcome. Moreso the cutoff for the category based draw is falling round by round (which could change soon as folks become more aware).

100%

Jamesclooney:

Thanks for the link, very helpful. I’ve just seen an NOC I can use. However, I have a five months old EE profile with a different NOC. Can I update the NOC to this new category one? Or should I just delete the old profile and create a new one? I also saw there was a draw for 975 people recently (March 13), how often do they return to same NOC code after a draw? Thanks a lot. Canada PR process can be so complicated Mehn.

hustla:

Many thanks for the indepth explanation

Could you share which programmes you got the invitation for? Both the initial one and the one you finally chose

Thanks

You may find this NL EE thread helpful: https://www.nairaland.com/6829885/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled#107239666

NOCs can be edited, no need to delete the profile - FAQ 26 covers this.
Post 2 on page 1 of the EE thread also has the history of draws since 2015.
There have been only 2 STEM draws since CBDs were launched, but multiple Healthcare, Agric and French draws have happened. Healthcare dropped to 422 and French to 336 - a viable plan B for some.

Study the links marked HERE on the first page - very straight forward process.

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Jamesclooney: 5:17pm On Mar 20
GraciousWords:

100%

You may find this NL EE thread helpful: https://www.nairaland.com/6829885/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled#107239666

There have been only 2 STEM draws since CBDs were launched, but multiple Healthcare, Agric and French draws have happened. Healthcare dropped to 422 and French to 336 - a viable plan B for some.

Thanks for sharing. How many transport sector draws?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by GraciousWords: 5:32pm On Mar 20

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Jamesclooney: 6:28pm On Mar 20
GraciousWords:

click here and sort by any parameter you are looking for

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements/ministerial-instructions/express-entry-rounds.html

Thanks you. All clear. Total of 3 draws for Transport sector. Looks like every 3 months frequency
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Schoolhike: 6:48pm On Mar 20
Zahra29:

[/i]
Allowances have been made for dependant childcare born in the UK to be added to the parent's visa. Any other dependants will only be considered under exceptional circumstances.

Can you shed more light on this or reference to it.

Thanks for your detailed responses
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 9:41pm On Mar 20
Suella 2.0

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thegamingorca(m): 9:50pm On Mar 20
Lexusgs430:

Have you seen the names of BDC operators, CBN approved for BDC activities in Nigeria.........

You would be truly ashamed of Nigeria & CBN ..........🤣😜🤣😜

That man that asked Abokifx, to come fight him in Abuja....... Approved all this nonsense..... 😁

Six six six
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thegamingorca(m): 9:51pm On Mar 20
lavida001:
Suella 2.0

Little miss uncle ruckus

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 10:37pm On Mar 20
GraciousWords:

Good resource.

It's becoming the plan A for a good number.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 10:40pm On Mar 20
lavida001:
Suella 2.0

Haven't read the article but many times headlines can be misleading.

Can you share a link to the article?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 12:59am On Mar 21
jedisco:

Haven't read the article but many times headlines can be misleading.

Can you share a link to the article?

https://archive.is/Y1irF
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 1:18am On Mar 21
lavida001:
Suella 2.0

I doubt you read the entire article, with an open mind.

How many times should I (we), everybody emphasise that headlines NEVER EVER Tell the complete story?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 1:19am On Mar 21
Thegamingorca:

Little miss uncle ruckus

Read. The. Article. First.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 1:44am On Mar 21
ReesheesuKnack:

These people don’t read. They’re the ones clickbait headlines are designed for in the first place.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 2:29am On Mar 21
Goodenoch:

https://archive.is/Y1irF

Thanks.
Certain points are laid out which are difficult to argue against.
It seems white men from poorer backgrounds are being given the short end of the stick.

One downside is that 'meritocracy' manytimes underestimates the effect upbringing/access to opportunities generally has on outcomes. We can all agree the reason an increasing number of MPs are privately educated is not because private schools have more intelligent kids than their public counterparts and neither does a privately educated MP perform better.

We also mainly agree that OxBridge should not become the exclusive right of privately educated students. Top universities have tried to adress this by using several means but mainly hit a roadblock. The other extreme is the quota system as practiced in Nigeria- a recipe for mediocrity.

There are no easy fixes that pop to mind. Reason I'm against certain policies (mainly in immigration) that limits the opportunity (and ultimately outcome) afforded to immigrant folks and their offspring.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thegamingorca(m): 2:58am On Mar 21
ReesheesuKnack:

A piece about The conservative, what's that gonna change.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 5:13am On Mar 21
Other carriers in trouble...... Let's hope AP would continually challenge and provide excellent service........ 👌👍

1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ProfJYK(m): 7:56am On Mar 21
Kudos to Airpeace. For the doubting Thomases, an alternative to BA high fares is here. Nothing beats direct flights unless you are on a stopover tour activity.

Meanwhile get BA Amex card, Get an improved welcome offer "10,000 avios" instead of 6k. I get a few as well for the referral.

https://americanexpress.com/en-gb/referral/ba-classic-credit?ref=eJIKeOmLX1&XL=MNANS

For illustration, free 10,000 avios + £430 (other combination of avios + cash available too) can get you a London-Abuja-London seat on BA which is above £1,000 in cash fare.

You are welcome

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jagbasneh(m): 9:07am On Mar 21
Morning guru in the house. please, Debby and Leicester, which of this city is best for living in terms of jobs opportunities and cost of living and so on
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 9:23am On Mar 21
Schoolhike:

You're welcome. Hope your beautiful little girl (my namesake grin ) is doing well

The caseworker guidance was updated on 11 March. Relevant excerpt below clarifying who is eligible to apply as a dependant on a care visa:

Care workers and senior care workers
Unless one of the exemptions below apply, the applicant must not be applying as the
partner or child of a Skilled Worker who is sponsored for a job in the occupation code
‘6145 Care workers and home carers’ or ‘6146 Senior care workers’.
If the lead applicant has continuously had permission as a Skilled Worker, accepting
that any gap subject to paragraph 39E can be disregarded, under the rules in force
before 11 March 2024, sponsored in either or both these occupation codes (6145 or
6146) a dependant may apply. To be eligible for this exemption, the lead applicant’s
original application date must have been before 11 March 2024 (even if that
application was granted after 11 March, and whether or not their dependants applied
at the same time).
If the dependant is a child who was born in the UK, the child can apply.

Another extract from the statement of rules published on 19 Feb:

These changes:

• Narrow the eligibility for workers to be sponsored in these occupation codes in
England from all jobs to only jobs where the sponsor is registered with the
Care Quality Commission (CQC) and is currently carrying on a regulated
activity (this does not affect the eligibility of jobs in Scotland, Wales and
Northern Ireland); and
Remove the provision for dependants to accompany or join workers sponsored
in these occupation codes (other than providing for children born in the UK to
regularise their stay).

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 9:51am On Mar 21
Schoolhike:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/65eb224562ff48ff7487b2ed/Dependent_family_members_in_work_routes.pdf
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by BouharryArtikou: 12:32pm On Mar 21
I need help, please.
I am booked to attend passport renewal biometrica at Naija High Commision in London tomorrow.
A. I have heard about postal (Abi money order). Can I buy it from anywhere or must I buy it at the post office near the high commision?

B. Do I need two different self-addressed envelopes for myself and the wife? Or would 1 envelope suffice?

C.
Please. What other things do I need to sort out please? I want to have a good experience.

Please help with nuggets and experiences.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by D1uncle: 1:55pm On Mar 21
Does anyone know if it’s possible to negotiate at Arnold Clark? I just spoke to a consultant who said their prices are lower price guaranteed, so as such, it’s fixed. Any tips? Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 3:43pm On Mar 21
GraciousWords:

100%

Thanks boss

I'll read up on this
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 3:44pm On Mar 21
jedisco:

The way it works, is that while you are in the federal pool. Provinces skim through the pool offering provisional nominations to candidates they need. Sometimes, folks apply directly to the province for this. A candidate would then need to submit some documents to the province (plus pay a fee) but once the nomination letter is successful, they're pretty much guaranteed to be selected in the federal next draw cos the nomination is worth several hundred points. That candidate on arrival might need to be in that province for a period whereas if it was a direct federal draw (without need for a provisional nomination), such restrictions would not apply.

After applying, I got a nomination from Ontario. Kept it on hold as I felt I had the required scores to get in at the next federal draw.

Thanks Chief

Ill check their thread and see which one I'll fit into

... But you didn't tell us you want to do Japa 2.0 ooo.
grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 3:48pm On Mar 21
BouharryArtikou:
I need help, please.
I am booked to attend passport renewal biometrica at Naija High Commision in London tomorrow.
A. I have heard about postal (Abi money order). Can I buy it from anywhere or must I buy it at the post office near the high commision?

B. Do I need two different self-addressed envelopes for myself and the wife? Or would 1 envelope suffice?

C.
Please. What other things do I need to sort out please? I want to have a good experience.

A. Buy at post office near you.. Tell them what you want to use it for and they'll give you the right one (when you get to the NI office, do not listen to those outside who'll try to tell you what you bought isn't the right one. Many are mad...)

B. Should be 2 to the best of my knowledge. Different apps

C. Try to get there early and print all documents they asked you to print on their website (everything you need is written there)
Its a seamless process tbh

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Gift7428: 3:56pm On Mar 21
How long did it take you to get your passport back after you sent it over ?
I have been asked to send mine but I also need it for another visa

Thanks

jedisco:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/submit-profile/rounds-invitations/category-based-selection.html

This lists the professions eligible for a category based draw. Worth noting the job codes can be manytimes flexible. If you can't see yours but see related fields, it'd be worth reading the description of the job code to see what it actually entails.

With Canada, their process takes time. Visit visa took me about 8 months. Applied as a tourist, filled online form + showed funds and booked a refundable stay for my duration (cos I knew I'd need to cancel it later). After a month or 2, they asked for my biometrics. Took several more months for them to ask for my passport. I had just got a 10yr validity visa before commencing the process so overall multiple entry visit visa valid for 10yrs was worth the wait.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Gift7428: 7:43pm On Mar 21
Zahra

I am still finding it difficult to understand some key words in the link i read. I even had to use chat gpt to understand some parts lol

So are you saying a radiographer with the NHS will still be affected by salary threshold?

So I get a band. 5 radiographer role at 25,000 does this mean I am not qualified to have dependents after April 4?

Zahra29:

Not ignorance, we're all getting up to speed with the new policies.

Yes there will be salary thresholds in the NHS from April 4 as follows:

- Health and care visa jobs not on a pay scale or on the Immigration Salary list: £29,000 (currently £26,200)

- Health and care visa jobs on a pay scale or on the Immigration Salary list : £23,200 (currently £20,960)

- Skilled worker visa jobs : £38,700 (currently £26,200)

Note- the Immigration Salary list replaces the Shortage Occupation list from April 4
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Phenmeson(m): 8:09pm On Mar 21
BouharryArtikou:
I need help, please.

C.

a) if you're able to buy it any post office no problem. But if you can't get it, there's a guy standing in NHC that sells it. You may end up paying extra £3 on each item.

b) only One self addressed envelope ✉️ is enough for the family. They will put your collection slips in the same envelope which will be use to send your passport with wife own.

c) other thing to sort out is printing the application form, appointment slip, payment slip, going with photocopy of your passport, NIN.
Lastly after Una don finish the capturing,make sure U take photo of the collection slip because they won't give you the hard copy.

Enjoy the comedy film tomorrow and feel the heat from 9ja. Mak sure U reach there before 9am so U don't chop breakfast

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 8:15pm On Mar 21
Gift7428:
Zahra

I am still finding it difficult to understand some key words in the link i read. I even had to use chat gpt to understand some parts lol

So are you saying a radiographer with the NHS will still be affected by salary threshold?

So I get a band. 5 radiographer role at 25,000 does this mean I am not qualified to have dependents after April 4?

NHS Band 5 starting salary is £28k with 4k allowance if you're in London and its environs.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Gift7428: 10:03am On Mar 22
@bigtt76
@laxxonebody

Checked my email this morning visa approved
Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LaXxOnebody(m): 12:07pm On Mar 22
You're welcome.

The backlogs are being cleared.

I know of one that took 106 days.

Unfortunately, some employers weren't patient enough and jobs have been lost.

Your BRP should be delivered using express service.

Congrats again.

Gift7428:
@bigtt76
@laxxonebody

Checked my email this morning visa approved
Thanks

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (493) (494) (495) (496) (497) (498) (499) ... (538) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.