Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,257 members, 7,836,182 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:18 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (538) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (497035 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (535) (536) (537) (538) (539) (540) (541) ... (561) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 8:04pm On May 03
Goodenoch:

And people like you sound like typical ad-hominem lovers who resort to insults when they lack concrete logical arguments to counter what someone has said.

Read what she said and articulate responses to her, or is that too hard for you?
Okay Koonbey, if the shoes fit 🙃
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 8:06pm On May 03
heroshark:

I'm not sure what you are driving at?

What she said is the absolute truth, "British ingenuity’ not colonialism drove UK growth" infact it's the growth that helped drive colonialism, and not the other way round.

Britain was the first major state power to consciously and deliberately develop capitalist market structures. Interestingly, this entailed expanding the reach of the state, taking up much higher tax rates than other countries in the 1700s and 1800s. They instituted a central bank and an academy of science.
Great 👍🏿
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 8:24pm On May 03
Jamesclooney:
Hi all,

I need urgent advice please. I’m currently renting and the landlord uses an agency. I’ve got a broken bed (wooden slats broke and cannot be fixed DIY),so I reported to the agency 3 days ago and they told the landlord. Agency is now waiting for feedback from landlord to authorize repairs which is taking long. Meanwhile the broken bed means there is nowhere for me to sleep in my room as I’ve got family member in the guest room. I’ve escalated the property manager in agency to the CEO/founder to the point she’s no longer speaking to me via telephone, just via emails only.

Please is there a govt agency, ombudsman or anyone I cannot escalate to? Surely it’s illegal to not act if there’s a broken bed for over 3 days? Where will I sleep? On the floor? I’m arguing that it should be treated like a fire or gas leak etc. so they can send their maintenance engineer. Please help as I need this sorted today so I can sleep normally. Thank you

Oh sweet sweet summer child, I wish I had better news for you.
There is absolutely noi ombudsman to tell about this. None.

The gentleman who had his door taken off the hinges by a landlord found no help .

I would buy a new bed and pack their broken bed for them till I move out.

Public service announcement for all of us here: The UK is a jungle now. Don't lend money to anyone, doublelock your doors, basically be on your guard like in Nigeria.

Sorry if this is pessimistic but this is the way I see the UK now. Does anyone have a sunnier view of things

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 9:27pm On May 03
missjekyll:

The gentleman who had his door taken off the hinges by a landlord found no help .

Public service announcement for all of us here: The UK is a jungle now. Don't lend money to anyone, doublelock your doors, basically be on your guard like in Nigeria.

Sorry if this is pessimistic but this is the way I see the UK now. Does anyone have a sunnier view of things

Have you experienced the long thing .......😂😁
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 9:42pm On May 03
Lexusgs430:
[/b]

Have you experienced the long thing .......😂😁

Indeed I have, Action Fraud will close the investigation, you will not hear back from his majesty's courts.

I ve lost all faith in everything. Nothing works

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wallg123: 9:49pm On May 03
missjekyll:

Indeed I have, Action Fraud will close the investigation, you will not hear back from his majesty's courts.

That’s not possible in the uk na. You sure you’re not referring to Russia or China ? …

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 9:54pm On May 03
wallg123:

That’s not possible in the uk na. You sure you’re not referring to Russia or China ? …

If my mp carries his carcass to my doorstep , I ll tell him all this to his face. Then go straight back to sleep in my house. I have absolutely no influence except that afforded me by the office of the citizen and know nobody.

But nothing ll happen to me.

I wonder how different it ll be in those countries you have mentioned

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 10:11pm On May 03
missjekyll:

Permit me to use 'we' this one time.

We are always on guard, we are Nigerians!!! Any Nigerian that isn't always on guard is not a pure Nigerian, simple! grin

I lent a friend some money some couple of weeks back, due date is nearing... I am definitely getting it back, no doubt.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 10:13pm On May 03
Gerrard59:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3260307/made-china-2025-china-meets-most-targets-manufacturing-plan-proving-us-tariffs-and-sanctions

When people, especially black people, mock China with poverty statements, I find it very appalling and ridiculous considering after Whites and Chinese cousins - Koreans and Japanese - Chinese are the next in terms of developmental status. Arabs exceeds us. So, why try to belittle China?

It's said that if you take away the over 750million people China has lifted from poverty in a single generation, the world in general has made little progress in reducing poverty.
If China goes on to become the world dominant power, they stand the chance of being the first to achieve that with the lowest negative impact in human history. Their story has been an economic miracle. Thats what some folks comparing China to the US fail to understand- the miracle is that in 2024, China has become the elephant in the room.

I get your sense of frustration but in doing that, I'd avoid insulting your folks as it depicts self hate.

Gerrard59:

I keep reading dictatorship and mumbo-jumbo, history has it that EVERY developed and prosperous country you see today underwent a form of dictatorship before it became a prosperous democracy. There were bullying, mass killings and high-handedness. Economic development came before democracy, not after. In cases where there were semblance of democracy, there was a dominant ethnic or racial group or political party who controlled everything. But the majority of countries at the forefront of economic development had a form of dictatorship before they liberalised their political systems.

I said on another fora that just like with most things there would always be different routes and means to good governance
The role of every responsible government is to bring returns to the populace and foster the greater good. In this, China has exceedingly excelled. If we limit governance to whether they fit one world or another, then its a different story

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 10:15pm On May 03
toughest007:

Permit me to use 'we' this one time.

We are always on guard, we are Nigerians!!! Any Nigerian that isn't always on guard is not a pure Nigerian, simple! grin

I lent a friend some money some couple of weeks back, due date is nearing... I am definitely getting it back, no doubt.

Goodluck to you ,my friend. Keep us posted.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 10:15pm On May 03
missjekyll:

Do you mind sharing your experience, so we might learn/add to our ever growing scammers techniques..........

I generally have one rule........ I would only spare money to my close family circle (my only rule).......

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 10:21pm On May 03
Goodenoch:
As I was saying about playing the ostrich -

https://archive.ph/jZzms - Crackdown on graduate visa ‘being used as back door for asylum’

Restrictions incoming for the graduate visa route, apparently.

Policies in the west are crafted on economic and political need (i.e economic growth and elections) and not innuendos.

There is a reason why the UK government brought back the PSW visa- it was not because they're keen on having graduates remain.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 10:27pm On May 03
jedisco:

It's said that if you take away the over 750million people China has lifted from poverty in a single generation, the world in general has made little progress in reducing poverty.
If China goes on to become the world dominant power, they stand the chance of being the first to achieve that with the lowest negative impact in human history. Their story has been an economic miracle. Thats what some folks comparing China to the US fail to understand- the miracle is that in 2024, China has become the elephant in the room.

China's leap to greatness and the possibility of becoming a world power is nothing short of miracle!!!

At some point in the 20s or 30s, 'small' Japan occupied them and never ceased to massacre them despite their size difference. Economic hardship and poverty at that time was at its record high in China such that they couldn't even build up any idea of resistance. There was this Nanking Massacre!!!

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by toughest007: 10:29pm On May 03
missjekyll:

Goodluck to you ,my friend. Keep us posted.

Hehehe... Sure, I'd be back here to run the update.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 11:00pm On May 03
Gloriouscrown:

Thank you Zahra... What about showing proof of funds for living expenses

You're welcome

Not required if the applicant has been living in the UK with valid immigration permission for at least 12 months.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Treadway: 11:01pm On May 03
jedisco:

I get your sense of frustration but in doing that, I'd avoid insulting your folks as it depicts self hate.

I said on another fora that just like with most things there would always be different routes and means to good governance
The role of every responsible government is to bring returns to the populace and foster the greater good. In this, China has exceedingly excelled. If we limit governance to whether they fit one world or another, then its a different story
your bolded line, is one of the things we agree on.

Autocracy is an option, and does not necessarily have to be seen as evil. Democracy is an option, and does not necessarily have to be seen as good....and vice versa. If you're a one-way thinker, that's fine too, but it is rather shallow to say someone is deadly simply because he isn't a one-way thinker as you are, and considers autocracy as an option.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 11:11pm On May 03
missjekyll:

Oh dear, bring back the sunny, positive missjekyll undecided I thought the labour wins would have cheered you...😊

The UK isn't a jungle, it just has limited resources and expects us to apply due caution to avoid certain situations. You can't expect the authorities to chase down people who owe us money when there are sword wielders and other crazy/evil people marauding about.

However there are legal steps you can take to recover money you're owed, including court action:

https://www.gov.uk/options-if-youre-owed-money#:~:text=You%20can%20use%20a%20statutory,a%20member%20of%20a%20partnership

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 11:33pm On May 03
toughest007:

China's leap to greatness and the possibility of becoming a world power is nothing short of miracle!!!

At some point in the 20s or 30s, 'small' Japan occupied them and never ceased to massacre them despite their size difference. Economic hardship and poverty at that time was at its record high in China such that they couldn't even build up any idea of resistance. There was this Nanking Massacre!!!

Irrespective of where one stands on this, there is alot to be learned from China especially for folks from the global south.

China has been thru alot. Even before Japan, a few decades earlier there were the opium wars where which were basically Britain asking to pay China for agricultural produce by supplying them opium. When they refused, Britain and allies invaded, forced them to accept and use opium as pay plus a host of other unfair treaties such as giving up Hong-Kong. What followed was hundred years of humiliation. Even when China agreed to fight alongside the allies in return for their seized land, Britain turned around and handed the land over to Japan all in a bid to humiliate them.

It took alot for them to purge themselves of this and regain some self consciousness. Today, China is about the largest trading partner of most nations. A driver in many fields, practically impossible to sanction and yet has began to improve prosperity by means of relatively fair relations and trade not by conquest and war. Many nations in Africa would have a much more practicable means of getting to the top by following the footsteps of China rather than by blindly following the West as frankly speaking we have no countries to steal wealth off and then claim democracy when we get to the top.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 12:14am On May 04
kwakudtraveller:

Okay Koonbey, if the shoes fit 🙃

Lol. Of course it’ll be a diversion from you, not anything that actually responds to her.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Gerrard59(m): 3:54am On May 04
jedisco:

Because the majority of the world's poor reside in sub-Sahara Africa and South Asia. I have no business with South Asia, but as a black African, I am concerned about the sub-continent - which any black African and I dare say, every black person, should be bothered about its economic development. Unlike other world powers who exploited and destroyed other countries to propel economically, China did not, which shows a model that works, aka tested and trusted. I admire them for that.

This is the term people like me get smeared with, but why should a black person mock China when there are no comparable black-dominated countries that can stand head-to-head with Chinese-dominated enclaves? Why should a black person not admire, if the person is against copying, the strides the Chinese have achieved? Why do we have this belief that because a Westerner, aka white man, lampoons China, we go follow chook mouth? To say what? Feeling like intellectwats abi intelligentsia? With all that we claim we know, how many black dominated areas are functioning, safe, prosperous and developed like Singapore, Hong Kong and Taiwan? This excludes their cousins in Korea and Japan.

It pisses me off. If na to protest for people who have never acknowledged our own struggles, na we dey front. But to copy and take a leaf from a group of people who have withstood all odds to become a superpower, even just for the economics and aside the military, we no sabi. In fact, if I was in the West, a cheat code I would implement as a black man would be to send my children to the same schools Chinese pupils attend. I will do what they do because it works. Proven, tested and trusted.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Gerrard59(m): 4:00am On May 04
jedisco:

It took alot for them to purge themselves of this and regain some self consciousness. Today, China is about the largest trading partner of most nations. A driver in many fields, practically impossible to sanction and yet has began to improve prosperity by means of relatively fair relations and trade not by conquest and war. Many nations in Africa would have a much more practicable means of getting to the top by following the footsteps of China rather than by blindly following the West as frankly speaking we have no countries to steal wealth off and then claim democracy when we get to the top.

To add, the Chinese DON'T force their cultural norms on others. Yet to see or read where Chinese stipulate the presence of Chinese language schools or Confucian Institutes before a loan is lent. But for Ghana and Uganda, they must accept LGTV and how to change their genders to one of the numerous 5 billion genders in the world before money is borrowed.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by deept(m): 6:12am On May 04
missjekyll:

Winter has come ba!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by deept(m): 6:13am On May 04
missjekyll:

You just have a crime reference number and that's it ba! And your case becomes part of the statistics - for the data people
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by deept(m): 6:21am On May 04
Zahra29:

Oh dear, bring back the sunny, positive missjekyll undecided I thought the labour wins would have cheered you...😊

The UK isn't a jungle, it just has limited resources and expects us to apply due caution to avoid certain situations. You can't expect the authorities to chase down people who owe us money when there are sword wielders and other crazy/evil people marauding about.

However there are legal steps you can take to recover money you're owed, including court action:

https://www.gov.uk/options-if-youre-owed-money#:~:text=You%20can%20use%20a%20statutory,a%20member%20of%20a%20partnership

But a certain part of the UK has a law against :hate speech' where they commit large part of police resources to enforce in a country where you are supposed to have free speech. While no police resources to combat real crime.

Note: hate speech in quote because I know lecture will come up on what hate speech is and what it is not.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 6:23am On May 04
OmichaelO:
use nigeria card to subscribe

I'm using UK subscription and its just 5.99 quid.

Will cancel later and do naija subscription for 1 year.

Thanks for the update
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by deept(m): 6:26am On May 04
Treadway:
your bolded line, is one of the things we agree on.

Autocracy is an option, and does not necessarily have to be seen as evil. Democracy is an option, and does not necessarily have to be seen as good....and vice versa. If you're a one-way thinker, that's fine too, but it is rather shallow to say someone is deadly simply because he isn't a one-way thinker as you are, and considers autocracy as an option.

“The common people pray for rain, healthy children, and a summer that never ends,” Ser Jorah told her. “It is no matter to them if the high lords play their game of thrones, so long as they are left in peace.”

Sir Jorah Mormont GOT

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 6:36am On May 04
jedisco:

Irrespective of where one stands on this, there is alot to be learned from China especially for folks from the global south.

China has been thru alot. Even before Japan, a few decades earlier there were the opium wars where which were basically Britain asking to pay China for agricultural produce by supplying them opium. When they refused, Britain and allies invaded, forced them to accept and use opium as pay plus a host of other unfair treaties such as giving up Hong-Kong. What followed was hundred years of humiliation. Even when China agreed to fight alongside the allies in return for their seized land, Britain turned around and handed the land over to Japan all in a bid to humiliate them.

China is a mega trend. When western countries refuse them from using international space station, China said Bleep you and they build their own ISS.

A new world power is in town.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wallg123: 7:49am On May 04
lavida001:

China is a mega trend. When western countries refuse them from using international space station, China said Bleep you and they build their own ISS.

A new world power is in town.

More than 80% every goods in a UK household is made in China and yet people dey joke with China. Make them Dey play. American/ European hegemony is dead and buried. Countries are now boycotting the dollar to trade in local currencies. India, China and Russia have already started this means of trade successfully. very soon others would follow.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Ibro99: 8:47am On May 04
Hi, please if you don’t mind for the sake of others to learn from what do you mean by visa was withdrawn due to less hours?

Schoolhike:

Oh sorry maybe the use of my grammar is wrong , Visa withdrawn as a result of non compliance to Home office rules (less hours).

Got letter from HO to leave Uk by June (60 days expiration) letter came in late I guess or maybe they did not receive letter early.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wallg123: 8:57am On May 04
Ibro99:
Hi, please if you don’t mind for the sake of others to learn from what do you mean by visa was withdrawn due to less hours?

He answered your question here
Schoolhike:

Oh sorry maybe the use of my grammar is wrong , Visa withdrawn as a result of non compliance to Home office rules (less hours).

Got letter from HO to leave Uk by June (60 days expiration) letter came in late I guess or maybe they did not receive letter early.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 9:12am On May 04
Goodenoch:

Lol. Of course it’ll be a diversion from you, not anything that actually responds to her.
Lol I said some people on the thread sound like her yet you are looking for me to respond to her. It was a full stop statement. For a lawyer, you sure are lacking in the comprehension department.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 9:15am On May 04
Schoolhike:

I hope something works out for them soon. It must be emotionally exhausting for his pregnant wife. Excuse my curiosity, did they work more hours as a student or as care workers doing another job outside their main gig?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (535) (536) (537) (538) (539) (540) (541) ... (561) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / USA Visit Visa Part 4

Viewing this topic: wallg123, KingDemolah(m), JanegirlN, NezzyMike, KOVIC19COVID20 and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.