Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,231 members, 7,815,304 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:33 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (500) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (464273 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (497) (498) (499) (500) (501) (502) (503) ... (536) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 11:34pm On Mar 25
lavida001:
Could labour be any better than Tory’s ?

Council don’t need more powers to provide affordable housing, they need more funding.

In Scotland, affordable housing budget was cut by almost £200million for 2024/25. Imagine how many houses the Councils could have built with that money across Scotland.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 11:58pm On Mar 25
Peerielass:

Council don’t need more powers to provide affordable housing, they need more funding.

In Scotland, affordable housing budget was cut by almost £200million for 2024/25. Imagine how many houses the Councils could have built with that money across Scotland.

But where is the fund going to come from?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 4:48am On Mar 26
heroshark:

Can you please elaborate on the bolded? I have a Canadian visit visa that is valid till 2033

I meant if Canadian Express entry is a pathway one is considering or undecided about, then a visit to Canada can be a good step in getting a direct feel plus also interact with professionals over there before deciding on a move.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ubby26: 5:22am On Mar 26
Guys, I have been trying to get an extended warranty for my 2012 Ford fiesta, but every warranty company I have tried (AA, RAC, Warranty wise) says my car has to be less than 12 years old. The mileage on the car is 57k.

Please what other option do I have?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 5:32am On Mar 26
ubby26:
Guys, I have been trying to get an extended warranty for my 2012 Ford fiesta, but every warranty company I have tried (AA, RAC, Warranty wise) says my car has to be less than 12 years old. The mileage on the car is 57k.

Please what other option do I have?

Check that your vehicle does not have the dreaded ecoboost, aka ecoboom engine..... If it's not the ecoboom engine....... Just put about £45 aside every month (to cover emergencies).......🤔

Vehicles don't normally go wrong, if appropriately maintained and serviced...... 😁

Warranty companies, usually shy away from older vehicles (you suppose sabi why)....., 🤣

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Chreze(m): 5:53am On Mar 26
BouharryArtikou:
Thank you to all who responded to my post below.

Please ehn, I have another question.
Now that I have recourse to public funds, does anyone know some that I can get? All my money haff finish. ILR application for a family of 4 finished all my savings.
We currently have pretax household income of 75k (50k + 25k respectively).

What benefits can I claw from the system please?
Man wan maximise everything ‘lost’ in this last 5+ years.

PS: please don’t judge me. I too suffer.

I had to go search for the main post as I didn’t want to quote wrongly and start arguments afresh.

While we can debate all day about public fund, benefits and what one is entitled to, we can all agree that the conditions surrounding the government support shows it is meant for people finding it a bit challenging to meet up in some way and a good support will help them get back on their feet. We all have different views on this subject but I don’t think we should crucify each other for our beliefs.

I believe you didn’t actually use a good opportunity that you are/should be entitled to. LOAN. If I were in your shoes what I would have done would be, get a loan from the bank to pay for the ILR fees, and pay the bank back in their payment plan. That option would have kept your earthly confidence (money) intact. You would have had you £10k+ in your account while the bank get from part of your future earning. No be say you de run, you go de for the country for years, them don give you ILR them don give you.

One funny Nigerian saying: “I go pay no de go jail”

Yes, a lot of us hate loans and all that, but we can’t deny the economy we find ourself is a credit economy. Loan help you build more credit here, plus institutions would be happy to lend you more based on your credit worthiness.

To round up, I would say, just give 2 to 3 months, you will be fine when the salary alert comes in. And yes it’s annoying the amount we pay just to be here with our family. It’s even more annoying how much we contribute to the economy (tax), then still get to pay this crazy sum to be a member in the society. E go end one day.

Pele, Take heart. Let the joy of say you can now begin “do contract jobs, then go long vacation and come back to start another contract job” put smile on your face.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 7:54am On Mar 26
lavida001:

But where is the fund going to come from?

From Labour's bottomless pit of funds which they propose to use to fund all their policies when they get into power.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 8:20am On Mar 26
lavida001:
Could labour be any better than Tory’s ?

Wrong question...I would ask could anyone be worse than the tories? It's time for a change.

Vote anyone else but Tory!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 8:33am On Mar 26
In other news, were you having a happy morning?

Well, let me spoil that for you : China hacked the Electoral Register in 2021 and now has all our details.

Let me go download tiktok then to fill in any gaps they might have in the dossier of me.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/26/tuesday-briefing-first-edition-china-cybersecurity-oliver-dowden?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Santa2: 8:57am On Mar 26
Chreze:

I had to go search for the main post as I didn’t want to quote wrongly and start arguments afresh.

While we can debate all day about public fund, benefits and what one is entitled to, we can all agree that the conditions surrounding the government support shows it is meant for people finding it a bit challenging to meet up in some way and a good support will help them get back on their feet. We all have different views on this subject but I don’t think we should crucify each other for our beliefs.

I believe you didn’t actually use a good opportunity that you are/should be entitled to. LOAN. If I were in your shoes what I would have done would be, get a loan from the bank to pay for the ILR fees, and pay the bank back in their payment plan. That option would have kept your earthly confidence (money) intact. You would have had you £10k+ in your account while the bank get from part of your future earning. No be say you de run, you go de for the country for years, them don give you ILR them don give you.

One funny Nigerian saying: “I go pay no de go jail”

Yes, a lot of us hate loans and all that, but we can’t deny the economy we find ourself is a credit economy. Loan help you build more credit here, plus institutions would be happy to lend you more based on your credit worthiness.

To round up, I would say, just give 2 to 3 months, you will be fine when the salary alert comes in. And yes it’s annoying the amount we pay just to be here with our family. It’s even more annoying how much we contribute to the economy (tax), then still get to pay this crazy sum to be a member in the society. E go end one day.

Pele, Take heart. Let the joy of say you can now begin “do contract jobs, then go long vacation and come back to start another contract job” put smile on your face.

The way I rationalize paying hefty immigration sums upon renewal is that, its my way of getting another passport while paying in instalments. lol. Back in 2015 -2017 a few friend were shelling out between $60,000 to $100,000 to get a second passport, I just dey look they ask "where una dey see this money"? So in order not to scatter my mental health I tell myself that na same thing I dey do but Home office just dey allow me do instalment payments. cheesy. What you wrote up there resonates with me. I have been looking at getting zero percent interest cards that one can pay over 2 years in readiness for the next renewal. One thing I have learnt from this thread is the importance of building a great credit profile and using using credit responsibly.

13 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Mamatukwas: 10:27am On Mar 26
Lolli2pop:
Hwy fam, please can i get some tips and directions on how a relative of mine can bring in palm oil from Nigeria? Flying with virgin and landing at heathrow.

So basically for anyone here who has carried palm oil to London, what tips/tactics did u implore?

Tie it in small nylon bags- Freeze solid- Wrap in diapers to absorb any moisture in transit. Rinse & repeat.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 11:03am On Mar 26
i will never forget one BA flight i was about to board... while going thru the weighing of luggages and boarding, one man's palm oil poured allover his luggage .. his clothes, laptop, etc

There is no word he didn't call his wife who wasn't traveling with him but i think she is in the UK .. he was cursing and cursing.. palm oil spilled out onto the entire floor.. i had to push my luggages away grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I wonder how they settled the matter when he got to the UK

Mamatukwas:

Tie it in small nylon bags- Freeze solid- Wrap in diapers to absorb any moisture in transit. Rinse & repeat.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tier4Dependant: 11:32am On Mar 26
Lexusgs430:
For all switchers....... Santander is offering £185.00.......😊😂💷

When they say pay in £1500 into the account, must it stay there till the £185 is paid.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 11:59am On Mar 26
Tier4Dependant:

When they say pay in £1500 into the account, must it stay there till the £185 is paid.

Hustla...... Come answer question o....... 🤣🙄
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 12:03pm On Mar 26
Santa2:

The way I rationalize paying hefty immigration sums upon renewal is that, its my way of getting another passport while paying in instalments. lol. Back in 2015 -2017 a few friend were shelling out between $60,000 to $100,000 to get a second passport, I just dey look they ask "where una dey see this money"? So in order not to scatter my mental health I tell myself that na same thing I dey do but Home office just dey allow me do instalment payments. cheesy. What you wrote up there resonates with me. I have been looking at getting zero percent interest cards that one can pay over 2 years in readiness for the next renewal. One thing I have learnt from this thread is the importance of building a great credit profile and using using credit responsibly.

Any main credit card with even 100% Apr ...... It does not matter....... Simply get another balance transfer card with 0%, and move balance....... 😉

Clear balance within the 24/36 months....... Bob's your uncle..... 😂

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 12:39pm On Mar 26
Lexusgs430:

[/b]
Any main credit with even 100% Apr ...... It does not matter....... Simply get another balance transfer card with 0%, and move balance....... 😉

But even with 0%
One must pay balance transfer fees (typically 3.99% - 4.5% of balance to be transferred).

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Phenmeson(m): 12:45pm On Mar 26
Omo to buy £1 to naira was #1850 this morning. Now e don enter £1= #1650.
To buy & sell sef na risk.
E b say APC & PBAT go soon make £1=#250 ooo 🏃.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by DoubleN(m): 12:57pm On Mar 26
Something like this?

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 1:00pm On Mar 26
ReesheesuKnack:

But even with 0%
One must pay balance transfer fees (typically 3.99% - 4.5% of balance to be transferred).

Absolutely..... But that's all you pay, till your BT period expires (hopefully person go don clear balance).......😁

Some lenders offer 0% fee, but with shorter BT periods.......😜

Who say then no get sense......😂

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by domin8(f): 1:16pm On Mar 26
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AgentXxx(m): 2:08pm On Mar 26
God bless everyone that shared info about this 0% purchase credit card 🙌. I just got approved for 0% for 21months with a generous credit limit. I will start preparing for ILR payment using the card.😋

To the brother who shared the initial issues, God bless you as your gist brought solution to so many people.

I will end my post with a quote from our own Prof: Layi once said “InFO la fi nFO” if you don’t understand ask a Yoruba friend 😝

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tier4Dependant: 2:25pm On Mar 26
AgentXxx:
God bless everyone that shared info about this 0% purchase credit card 🙌. I just got approved for 0% for 21months with a generous credit limit. I will start preparing for ILR payment using the card.😋

To the brother who shared the initial issues, God bless you as your gist brought solution to so many people.

I will end my post with a quote from our own Prof: Layi once said “InFO la fi nFO” if you don’t understand ask a Yoruba friend 😝

Share provider name nah

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AgentXxx(m): 2:26pm On Mar 26
Na Barclays oo I used money market to check the ones I am pre approved for and Barclays was my choice.
Tier4Dependant:

Share provider name nah

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 2:50pm On Mar 26
Lexusgs430:

Hustla...... Come answer question o....... 🤣🙄

grin cheesy

Tier4Dependant yes o, it must stay there

When they pay, you can now move wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 2:52pm On Mar 26
jedisco:

Jokes apart, its a straightforward exam.

Issue is that we manytimes make out to these tests to be what they're not.
I remember a colleague who sat for IELTS a number of times earlier on while we were in 9ja. When I was preparing for my attempt and asked about the exam, he appeared very fascinated about the security and passport checks and cameras in the hall and how 'even your cough is monitored'. In his mind, he simply made the exam to be what it wasn't and didn't surprise me he struggled with it. Aside extenuating factors, if one had a bachelors degree in naija with now masters + time in the UK, a good IELTS score should be a given.

Yup, its not that difficult if you know basics.

Had 7.5 on first try and started to glance through materials a night before the exam. Sometimes, its "stage fright" that affects people

I'll give it a go later this year. I dont mind 8 or. 8.5 at all grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 2:54pm On Mar 26
but someone said we dont need NL and every information is on the internet grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

the person is also on NL to seek knowledge lol

AgentXxx:

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 2:54pm On Mar 26
Phenmeson:
Omo to buy £1 to naira was #1850 this morning. Now e don enter £1= #1650.
To buy & sell sef na risk.
E b say APC & PBAT go soon make £1=#250 ooo 🏃.

He should return it to 700 where he met it

Also, the measures to me are still temporary if they do not fix underlying issues. They can only "defend" the naira for so long

smiley

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 3:21pm On Mar 26
Lexusgs430:

[/b]
Any main credit with even 100% Apr ...... It does not matter....... Simply get another balance transfer card with 0%, and move balance....... 😉

Clear balance or move to another 0% balance transfer card on expiration of the 24/36 months. Rinse and repeat and never get to pay interest on the old balance. You need to be financially disciplined for this to work - no new spends on the credit cards as the interest will be due immediately.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 3:32pm On Mar 26
AgentXxx:

Why you no go read the conversation, for google........😁

That's why people so miss the point of NL........ A sequence of conversations, painting a brighter and colourful picture.(in a language we all understand)......🤣😜

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 3:34pm On Mar 26
Peerielass:

Clear balance or move to another 0% balance transfer card on expiration of the 24/36 months. Rinse and repeat and never get to pay interest on the old balance. You need to be financially disciplined for this to work - no new spends on the credit cards as the internet will be due immediately.

If you can't clear balance......... Simply apply for another balance transfer card ........😂🤣

By the time you BT twice, one would understand the game and be more financially savvy ........😁😜

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 3:54pm On Mar 26
Lexusgs430:

If you can't clear balance......... Simply apply for another balance transfer card ........😂🤣

By the time you BT twice, one would understand the game and be more financially savvy ........😁😜

I tell ya 🤪
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lastkingsman: 6:34pm On Mar 26
hustla:

He should return it to 700 where he met it

Also, the measures to me are still temporary if they do not fix underlying issues. They can only "defend" the naira for so long

smiley

Failed policies (Fuel and FX subsidies) are what they have fully brought back.

Lebanon dollar tumble from 1,500 to 15,000 in three weeks because they used their reserves to defend their currency.

This Tinubu's govt is playing with fire.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (497) (498) (499) (500) (501) (502) (503) ... (536) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: Tstone1(m), Bourne007(m), eolme(f), missjekyll, AgentXxx(m), Laadeh(f)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.