Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,876 members, 7,813,983 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:23 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (57) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (462313 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) ... (533) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 10:27pm On Jun 12, 2023
Yes ooo, I hope they've changed their habit of not releasing OS updates and or upgrades timely

Lexusgs430:

They are really trying their best ...........😭🤣😜

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lolli2pop: 10:40pm On Jun 12, 2023
On a different note i just saw a flight deal on booking.com that I have struggled to match with any airline’s website(booking .com is combining two different airline, i guess that is why theirs is cheaper)… please has anyone here had any personal experience with booking.com

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LionInZion: 11:19pm On Jun 12, 2023
Lolli2pop:
On a different note i just saw a flight deal on booking.com that I have struggled to match with any airline’s website(booking .com is combining two different airline, i guess that is why theirs is cheaper)… please has anyone here had any personal experience with booking.com

I got a very fine deal that I couldn't find elsewhere with them in March and no regret whatsoever. I don't know about combining two different airlines though, mine was Turkish Airlines round trip.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lolli2pop: 12:02am On Jun 13, 2023
Lolli2pop:
On a different note i just saw a flight deal on booking.com that I have struggled to match with any airline’s website(booking .com is combining two different airline, i guess that is why theirs is cheaper- egypt air + turkish)… please has anyone here had any personal experience with booking.com
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Iggyok(m): 12:13am On Jun 13, 2023
Greetings to you my elders and ancestors in the UK. Arrived here two weeks ago for my Master's degree at Coventry University. Please I will be glad to have your advice on getting a job and making money.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by harddrive2012: 12:36am On Jun 13, 2023
Hello,

Sent a mail. Kindly check your inbox please.

Thanks.

hyzich:

Dm i could be of help with my limited knowledge.. I work as a financial accountant but I haven't prepared payroll however, I do review it for arithmetic accuracy and proper provision accounting. Also you can reach out to the *thehrguy*
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by adedapodvirus001(m): 12:46am On Jun 13, 2023
Good morning my people, please I need someone in the field of data analysis to show me the way oooo. I have self learned it before and fortunately enough, my former employer enrolled me for a diploma course in data analysis. I have packaged my CV and threw out applications to so many places including the NHS but nothing yet( No interview, No call back). I have targeted entry level roles too but everything I've been getting is unfortunately we are not progressing with your application. I also tried to carry out some research on LinkedIn concerning the data analysis jobs of a thing and I discovered that almost all vacancies that I clicked on often have over 200 applicants, there are some with more than 500 applicants. All these things are making me to have a rethink on my decision to follow this path.

I have tried my hand on cyber security but I later discovered that this area of IT is not for entry level applicants. The feedback I got from some people that I know who studied master degree in cyber security in the UK is also not encouraging because they also find it difficult to secure entry level roles.

Please help a brother.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by CowbellY: 1:08am On Jun 13, 2023
Lolli2pop:

I have always thought that agents are cheaper than purchasing directly from airline.. is that a misconception??

Do you mind sharing the name of this booking company ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Temi231(f): 7:03am On Jun 13, 2023
adedapodvirus001:
Good morning my people, please I need someone in the field of data analysis to show me the way oooo. I have self learned it before and fortunately enough, my former employer enrolled me for a diploma course in data analysis. I have packaged my CV and threw out applications to so many places including the NHS but nothing yet( No interview, No call back). I have targeted entry level roles too but everything I've been getting is unfortunately we are not progressing with your application. I also tried to carry out some research on LinkedIn concerning the data analysis jobs of a thing and I discovered that almost all vacancies that I clicked on often have over 200 applicants, there are some with more than 500 applicants. All these things are making me to have a rethink on my decision to follow this path.

I have tried my hand on cyber security but I later discovered that this area of IT is not for entry level applicants. The feedback I got from some people that I know who studied master degree in cyber security in the UK is also not encouraging because they also find it difficult to secure entry level roles.

Please help a brother.

Maybe you should start applying as IT support or IT Technician first. I don't know the deal about data analyst but what I know is the bad wagon in that career path is much. To enter cybersecurity or any IT field with no experience start from a support role. Also, ensure your CV is matching the job description by proper editing.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 7:19am On Jun 13, 2023
What did you study gan gan? Are you in the UK? Are you applying directly to the companies or through job boards? Like Temi231 mentioned above, try going for IT support or technician roles and see where this get you to.

adedapodvirus001:

Please help a brother.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 8:15am On Jun 13, 2023
adedapodvirus001:

Please help a brother.

The UK job market looks like it's becoming more competitive since the large influx of immigrants recently which is expected but you have to keep trying until you get what you want. Data analysis is a great career path so I won't advise you leave it as its also in great demand but check yourself properly; do you posses the right credentials? What exactly are the requirements in the job description, is your cv tailored to those job descriptions? If you have a job currently even if you are not in the data analysis role can you volunteer to work with the data analyst there in your current organisation? You just have to build the right profile to land a data analyst role. Don't look for a job because its lucrative, build the right profile for the job and don't stop trying. It's just one chance you need.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by justwise(m): 10:18am On Jun 13, 2023
Lolli2pop:
Are you worried if booking.com genuine? If that is your concern..they are genuine company and I have used them 2-3yrs ago for hotel booking. Thought pay close attention to options and conditions of whatever you are buying.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Jcole123: 10:50am On Jun 13, 2023
semmyk:

In part 2 (page 966), there was an attempt at collating about driving license and test
https://www.nairaland.com/6719932/living-uk-life-immigrant-part-2/965#122840730

Thanks man, I have downloaded the app. Its very good

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hyzich(m): 10:59am On Jun 13, 2023
harddrive2012:
Hello,

Sent a mail. Kindly check your inbox please.

Thanks.

I'm unable to access the mail.. send me a DM on Hyzichbayo(at)gmail.com
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Maame4U: 11:04am On Jun 13, 2023
Hello Nairalanders. I need your input to help my Brother in a dilemma.

He helped a friend with a loan to help fund his study in the U.K.

3 years down the line, the gentleman has refused to send even 50 pence to appease his poor soul.

Is there an establishment we can report this to? As all diplomatic means has proved futile.

I look forward to your expert guidance.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by OmichaelO: 12:13pm On Jun 13, 2023
JaySterling:
Hi guys, please can one use Revolut account’s bank statement when applying for Schengen visa from the UK?
well, so countries accept. I know for Malta and Germany personally. the other ones I know is from what other people said.

But if you have any traditional bank, it's better to just use that. you can't go wrong printing both and it will save you unnecessary extra spending incase they don't want revolut.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by adedapodvirus001(m): 1:36pm On Jun 13, 2023
Temi231:

Maybe you should start applying as IT support or IT Technician first. I don't know the deal about data analyst but what I know is the bad wagon in that career path is much. To enter cybersecurity or any IT field with no experience start from a support role. Also, ensure your CV is matching the job description by proper editing.

Thank very much brother mi. I will look into the IT support role
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by adedapodvirus001(m): 1:42pm On Jun 13, 2023
Goke7:

The UK job market looks like it's becoming more competitive since the large influx of immigrants recently which is expected but you have to keep trying until you get what you want. Data analysis is a great career path so I won't advise you leave it as its also in great demand but check yourself properly; do you posses the right credentials? What exactly are the requirements in the job description, is your cv tailored to those job descriptions? If you have a job currently even if you are not in the data analysis role can you volunteer to work with the data analyst there in your current organisation? You just have to build the right profile to land a data analyst role. Don't look for a job because its lucrative, build the right profile for the job and don't stop trying. It's just one chance you need.
Thank you very much for your response brother mi. I have packaged my CV and most time, my CV is always 90 to 100% in line with the job descriptions of the applied jobs. On the issue of volunteering, there are very few volunteer role available and the few that have seen are even requesting for like 3 years experience. I will keep pushing but I may have to take the IT support as an alternative.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 1:53pm On Jun 13, 2023
adedapodvirus001:

Thank you very much for your response brother mi. I have packaged my CV and most time, my CV is always 90 to 100% in line with the job descriptions of the applied jobs. On the issue of volunteering, there are very few volunteer role available and the few that have seen are even requesting for like 3 years experience. I will keep pushing but I may have to take the IT support as an alternative.

Just an additional tip, immediately after the summer from September, apply vigorously cos as the year winds down, there will be so much competition for talents which will increase your chances. Currently folks are gearing up for summer holidays which can slow down hiring a bit though still continue to try but you see towards the end of the year is always a perfect time to land a job. Don’t give up that data analyst dream even if you try other ways.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 1:56pm On Jun 13, 2023
Maame4U:
Hello Nairalanders. I need your input to help my Brother in a dilemma.

He helped a friend with a loan to help fund his study in the U.K.

3 years down the line, the gentleman has refused to send even 50 pence to appease his poor soul.

Is there an establishment we can report this to? As all diplomatic means has proved futile.

I look forward to your expert guidance.

Location of borrower & Location of lender.........
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by adedapodvirus001(m): 2:04pm On Jun 13, 2023
bigtt76:
What did you study gan gan? Are you in the UK? Are you applying directly to the companies or through job boards? Like Temi231 mentioned above, try going for IT support or technician roles and see where this get you to.

I studied Mechanical Engineering and I'm in the UK. I have 5 years experience in the field of Engineering Sales and I've been trying to get into this field in the UK but it's been a journey difficult due to lack of UK experience. I have tried to volunteer in this career path by personally sending emails to companies highlighting my experience and capabilities but I've not been able to get any response. I have sent out a request on this forum sometimes ago to find out if there is anyone in that field that can give me a pointer on what I need to do differently but I couldn't get anyone. That was why I decided to try venturing into IT Career. I do apply directly to companies and on job boards.

I
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Maame4U: 2:36pm On Jun 13, 2023
Lexusgs430:

Location of borrower & Location of lender.........

Location of borrower: Uxbridge and Location of Lender: Currently in Ghana.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ayshegz: 2:43pm On Jun 13, 2023
Hi folks I need help ,I received a package specifically 21st of may from Nigeria ,I live in Belfast Northern Ireland UK ,to my surprise I got a mail from UPS just 3days ago asking me for payment of unpaid invoice to the tune of 272 pounds (taxes and duties ) for a package of 27KG and declaration value of about 50 pounds ,I’ve contacted the agent(paid him 5k per kg before sending ) In Nigeria he said he paid for shipment that what UPS is asking for is receivers taxes and duties ,I really don’t know what to do ,I’ve called and emailed UPS severally they keep saying that’s the amount to be paid ….Anyone with solution to this problem
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 2:54pm On Jun 13, 2023
adedapodvirus001:

I studied Mechanical Engineering and I'm in the UK. I have 5 years experience in the field of Engineering Sales and I've been trying to get into this field in the UK but it's been a journey difficult due to lack of UK experience. I have tried to volunteer in this career path by personally sending emails to companies highlighting my experience and capabilities but I've not been able to get any response. I have sent out a request on this forum sometimes ago to find out if there is anyone in that field that can give me a pointer on what I need to do differently but I couldn't get anyone. That was why I decided to try venturing into IT Career. I do apply directly to companies and on job boards.

I
Bro, what you studied does not matter unless otherwise specified on the job ad. For UK experience strong pass wetin you study unless you be Doctor or similar. Try filtering your job search to jobs posted within 24 hours. Because my brother, going into IT support will not guarantee you a job as a data analyst. I no say e no easy but don’t give up.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 2:58pm On Jun 13, 2023
ayshegz:
Hi folks I need help ,I received a package specifically 21st of may from Nigeria ,I live in Belfast Northern Ireland UK ,to my surprise I got a mail from UPS just 3days ago asking me for payment of unpaid invoice to the tune of 272 pounds (taxes and duties ) for a package of 27KG and declaration value of about 50 pounds ,I’ve contacted the agent(paid him 5k per kg before sending ) In Nigeria he said he paid for shipment that what UPS is asking for is receivers taxes and duties ,I really don’t know what to do ,I’ve called and emailed UPS severally they keep saying that’s the amount to be paid ….Anyone with solution to this problem

When I received food items from Nigeria via DHL, after the items got to UK, DHL sent a message that I need to pay £62 for tax and import duty for some items (vegetables) before delivery.

That was my experience and I paid.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 3:20pm On Jun 13, 2023
ayshegz:

The charge would be for custom duties, taxes and admin fee for issuing the invoice. They usually charge VAT on shipping costs plus declared value of item. For your peace of mind, you could ask UPS for an invoice to see the itemised charges. If I were you I’d just suck it up and pay, and then file it away in my very expensive lessons learnt never to be repeated folder.

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AgentXxx(m): 3:24pm On Jun 13, 2023
@bigtt76 I think you dropped something about re routing one’s postal mail from previous address, can you help me with that?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AirBay: 3:27pm On Jun 13, 2023
Maame4U:

Location of borrower: Uxbridge and Location of Lender: Currently in Ghana.

The money..going going going gone cry
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 3:31pm On Jun 13, 2023
Sure, see here https://www.royalmail.com/personal/receiving-mail/redirection I hope it helps.

AgentXxx:
@bigtt76 I think you dropped something about re routing one’s postal mail from previous address, can you help me with that?

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Maame4U: 3:31pm On Jun 13, 2023
AirBay:

The money..going going going gone cry

Thank you for the laugh😂 but I don’t think he can let close to £5000 ‘go’ just like that.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by AirBay: 3:37pm On Jun 13, 2023
Maame4U:

Thank you for the laugh😂 but I don’t think he can let close to £5000 ‘go’ just like that.

I know, it's really sad. I have experienced the same myself, since then I have made a decision not to ever loan out my hard earned money.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by OmichaelO: 4:13pm On Jun 13, 2023
ayshegz:

this is the norm and you will most likely have to pay to get the package.

I remember warning my aunts that it's better to buy extra luggage than to cargo to UK, because bills to get it alone will make you have palpitations. one paid 187 pounds and her stuff had spoilt and the other paid 300 pounds excluding miscellaneous

Only cargo if where you are bringing over is not available in the UK or it's so important.

(1) (2) (3) ... (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) ... (533) (Reply)

Italian Student Visa-help! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

Viewing this topic: NewT123, Bourne007(m), kwell(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.