Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,275 members, 7,836,234 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:57 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (55) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (497220 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) ... (561) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 10:53am On Jun 11, 2023
hustla:

House n*gga and field n*gga concept comes to mind

smiley

It's a dilemma. Many think they're woke but decades of experiencing bad media on Africa has a way of affecting their psyche.

Fact is, one can hardly rise above the collective strength of their race. A homeless British beggar may be treated with greater respect than many high achieving Nigerians even in Nigeria simply cos of the skin colour.

I remember a while back when the positive impact Nigerian healthcare professionals bring was being discussed and one here preferred to highlight the example of a Nigerian dr facing disciplinary action to disparange the remaining Nigerian health professionals working in the UK. The funny thing is that they fail to realise that such disciplinary actions cuts across race and many times are racially biased.

Of recent is the habit of comparing bringing ones dependents which is a perfectly legal move (one the uk benefits more from) to other forms of fraud. They should go ask thier parents the basis upon they migrated. A tree is not greater than its roots

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 11:02am On Jun 11, 2023
Gerrard59:

One solution to this is for parents to ensure their offspring spend some time in Nigeria or other parts of Africa. Let them know how home is, what made the parents japa and inculcate positive aspects of the home culture to the kids. It makes them confident, because, trust me, pikin wey grow up where people who look like him are very few or non-existent, will have personality issues growing up. The same applies to children from poorer families that attend schools filled with children from richer homes.

The UK is even better as there is a substantial black population. Then imagine for second generation folks in Germany, Norway, Finland etc. All the same, in the eyes of the white man, we are one and the same.

Hehe... I remember one adult telling me she has never been to Nigeria cos she was afraid they'd kidnap her. I had to lecture her that she and her family would be considered poor-average in parts of Nigeria. I blame the parents for not allowing her experience 9ja herself when younger.

Not too long ago, some here were going to put dettol in the water their kids used to brush when visiting Nigeria.. I was wondering if its now a mental health disorder.

Very soon they declare one 'giving back' campaign or another - A venture they almost always fail at.

I am travelled widely to know that the difference between a homeless almajiri, a young emigrating Nigerian dr, an older masters student + family and a second generation wannabe is almost always 'opportunity'.

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by SamReinvented: 11:02am On Jun 11, 2023
koonbey:

Statistics.

Q1 this year household credit card debt burden in the UK soared to the highest level in 2 decades - https://amp.theguardian.com/business/2023/jan/04/uk-credit-card-borrowing-soars-to-highest-monthly-level-since-2004

There was a recent BoE report as well for anyone who’s interested.

This is exactly why people said you’re overgeneralising. You’re looking at a stats for the entirety of the UK, but you’re on a forum consisting of a niche demography whose behaviour can (and most definitely is) vastly different from the larger majority. What’s more, you’re using the unrepresentative stats to judge the honesty of the claims of maybe 5 people… on a thread that has thousands of followers. You’re not adapting your statistics effectively.

13 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 11:10am On Jun 11, 2023
SamReinvented:

This is exactly why people said you’re overgeneralising. You’re looking at a stats for the entirety of the UK, but you’re on a forum consisting of a niche demography whose behaviour can (and most definitely is) vastly different from the larger majority. What’s more, you’re using the unrepresentative stats to judge the honesty of the claims of maybe 5 people… on a thread that has thousands of followers. You’re not adapting your statistics effectively.

Subsets generally reflect the characteristics of the greater set.
That's the very essence of statistical analysis. If there are huge deviations between a set and subset it means there's an error in the data somewhere or a unique characteristic. It's not an emotional thing. It doesn't matter how angry anyone gets.
You make a very valid point about the difference in behaviour of this sub-group. I disagree that such characteristics are enough to warrant such a huge deviation, but I acknowledge your point.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 11:15am On Jun 11, 2023
koonbey:

Statistics.

Q1 this year household credit card debt burden in the UK soared to the highest level in 2 decades - https://amp.theguardian.com/business/2023/jan/04/uk-credit-card-borrowing-soars-to-highest-monthly-level-since-2004

There was a recent BoE report as well for anyone who’s interested.

My entire point is not that it’s impossible. It is. I’ve done it since I was a student not to speak of now, and I have significantly higher than average limits as well, though I mostly use a corporate card on a monthly basis.

The point is not about attacking anyone. I don’t know anyone here and couldn’t care less if anyone pays or doesn’t pay in full. Ewo ni témí?

If anything, the bias I have is that I believe people need to be more cautious in accessing credit here. I personally think it’s way too easy to access (consumer) credit here and my line of work I see lots of situations where people think it’ll be straightforward and it turns out horrendously wrong instead.

Anyone can get angry or say I don't pay mine in full if they want, but my point that it's statistically likely that a person will end up in a debt spiral remains valid and I maintain that, for no other reason than so people reason this be aware of the reality of things.
I have reservations about the statistics you shared, as they reflect the overall household credit card debt burden in the UK, but they do not necessarily capture the experiences of recent immigrants or people who use a specific card like AMEX. which, as you know, is popular among individuals from Nigeria and Ghana as it’s currently one of the easiest cards to get. I personally know people who are not on this thread who use AMEX. Also, remember that most of us did not come from a credit system, so paying for things in full when due is the norm for us, and to assume that people who say that they pay in full are lying is still an assumption, and the statistics shared do not in any way show that it’s improbable. Let me know when you have a report by AMEX on the debt new CC owners or recent immigrants have incurred in the last year or past few months, and then we can revisit the conversation. After all, they can get this data since they always ask for an individual's previous address history.

As for the rest of what you have said, I’ve seen you mention the dangers of CC, which is great, and I personally applaud it. I also believe that this should always be the topic of conversation as opposed to implying that people are lying about their current reality.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Jcole123: 11:34am On Jun 11, 2023
Temi231:

4 in 1 should be enough for you. Study it back to back and you will be fine. All the best

Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Jcole123: 11:34am On Jun 11, 2023
kwakudtraveller:

I combined the tests from the 4 in 1 theory app with random test sites on google. I noticed that some of the questions on google came up as well during the test.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by SamReinvented: 11:43am On Jun 11, 2023
koonbey:

Subsets generally reflect the characteristics of the greater set.
That's the very essence of statistical analysis. If there are huge deviations between a set and subset it means there's an error in the data somewhere or a unique characteristic. It's not an emotional thing. It doesn't matter how angry anyone gets.
You make a very valid point about the difference in behaviour of this sub-group. I disagree that such characteristics are enough to warrant such a huge deviation, but I acknowledge your point.
I don’t understand… Dem no teach you the importance of distributions and sample sizes for where you learn your own statistics?

And yes. A subset can deviate very hugely from overall statistics. Even more so, when your subset is 5 people from Nairaland for a UK national statistics. It’s for similar reasons that poverty exists in any statistically “rich country” and wealth exists in even the poorest countries. These are basics of statistics.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jun 11, 2023
SamReinvented:

I don’t understand… Dem no teach you the importance of distributions and sample sizes for where you learn your own statistics?

And yes. A subset can deviate very hugely from overall statistics. Even more so, when your subset is 5 people from Nairaland for a UK national statistics. It’s for similar reasons that poverty exists in any statistically “rich country” and wealth exists in even the poorest countries. These are basics of statistics.

Not sure what the relevance of the second paragraph analysis about rich or poor countries is but WRT to the bolded, yes it's a very small sample but so far it's 100% of apparent full payers, which is a significant deviation.

Where you learned your own statistics, if such deviations occur would it not warrant a closer look to determine why?

Exactly. That is why I said it was suspicious, and never actually accused anyone of lying, nor outrightly said it was impossible, because it is possible even though it is highly improbable. Plus, for the umpteenth time, it was just a joke and not an accusation against anyone. I'm honestly perplexed as to how so many people have bees in their bonnets over this.

I genuinely hope you understand now because ọmọ mi ò le ṣàlàyé jù báyìí lọ mọ́.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by SamReinvented: 12:42pm On Jun 11, 2023
koonbey:

Not sure what the relevance of the second paragraph analysis about rich or poor countries is but WRT to the bolded, yes it's a very small sample but so far it's 100% of apparent full payers, which is a significant deviation.

Where you learned your own statistics, if such deviations occur would it not warrant a closer look to determine why?

Exactly. That is why I said it was suspicious, and never actually accused anyone of lying, nor outrightly said it was impossible, because it is possible even though it is highly improbable. Plus, for the umpteenth time, it was just a joke and not an accusation against anyone. I'm honestly perplexed as to how so many people have bees in their bonnets over this.

I genuinely hope you understand now because ọmọ mi ò le ṣàlàyé jù báyìí lọ mọ́.
Because today is Sunday and I have time this afternoon, I will breakdown the analogy in simple terms:
1. Nigeria is statistically a poor country. - But if you go to Banana Island, you can pick 5 people and they will all be earning above $200K per annum. I won't call them a liar, because "national statistics".
2. US is statistically a rich and prosperous country. - But if you go to Chaldean Town, pick 5 people and they are earning around $100 per month, I wouldn't be too surprised.

Now apply that analogy to you coming to Nairaland and expecting the people here to align to UK's national statistics - just because undecided. The simple fact is... the distribution of people here are just very skewed at so many levels and I wouldn't expect them to be representative of many national statistics in the UK. Furthermore, the claims that we have seen so far are from an extremely tiny sample size and wouldn't be taken as anything significant from any credible statistician.

The baseline is - ya'll need to calm down with always questioning people's claims. I've seen claims from you about you that I don't believe (even today) and I just looked left because na you sabi. It's really not in your or anyone's place to question adults about their lives in a public anonymous forum. No one owes you anything. If you have an argument to make, do that separately with reasonable facts and logic, and not on the back of casting doubts at someone else's claims.

Obviously, no one has done it to me so far, but I still find it annoying and distracting whenever I see people do it to others. I decided to use this weekend to talk, but I'm over it now sha. grin grin grin Goodbye for now cheesy cheesy cheesy

14 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by giselle237: 1:03pm On Jun 11, 2023
Joyfuljoyful:
Oh my goodness! This is exactly what is happening! Just those consonants he can't pronounce well. Exactly what we encounter and I have been over stressing on it. Will take your advice.I am very grateful for this breakdown. We will sign the form then. Thank you so much!
you are welcome. Listen to others in his class.. they sound that way.. do not trouble your heart but practise as much with him and then repeat the right way of saying it without doing mrs corrector mom. All the best.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 1:09pm On Jun 11, 2023
jedisco:

It's a dilemma. Many think they're woke but decades of experiencing bad media on Africa has a way of affecting their psyche.

Fact is, one can hardly rise above the collective strength of their race. A homeless British beggar may be trested with greater respect than many high achieving Nigerians even in Nigeria simply cos of the skin colour.

I remember a while back when the positive impact Nigerian healthcare professionals bring was being discussed and one here preferred to highlight the example of a Nigerian dr facing disciplinary action to disparange the remaining Nigerian health professionals working in the UK. The funny thing is that they fail to realise that such disciplinary actions cuts across race and many times are racislly biased.

Of recent is the habit of comparing bringing ones dependents which is a perfectly legal move - one the uk benefits more from to other forms of fraud. They should go ask thier parents the basis upon they migrated. A tree is not greter than its roots

Well said! smiley

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by bigtt76(f): 2:07pm On Jun 11, 2023
Exactly! And for those also wondering why pay in full - it saves you the stress and also help you build a good credit history. I could as well pay with my debit card and not use a CC if building credit history is not a part of my long term plan. Not everyone who takes a CC cannot afford to live life without one. cheesy

AKALAMAGBO:
Bro no dey deceive urself, realities are different. People’s living condition are not the same, because you can’t pay in full doesn’t mean everyone else can’t… No be everybody get COVID that year when e dey do people strong thing… I pay mine in full before the direct debit date just so you know, and I have a combined total credit card of £8,000 on 2 cards ( Amex and Aqua)…

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by deept(m): 2:32pm On Jun 11, 2023
SamReinvented:

Because today is Sunday and I have time this afternoon, I will breakdown the analogy in simple terms:
1. Nigeria is statistically a poor country. - But if you go to Banana Island, you can pick 5 people and they will all be earning above $200K per annum. I won't call them a liar, because "national statistics".
2. US is statistically a rich and prosperous country. - But if you go to Chaldean Town, pick 5 people and they are earning around $100 per month, I wouldn't be too surprised.

Now apply that analogy to you coming to Nairaland and expecting the people here to align to UK's national statistics - just because undecided. The simple fact is... the distribution of people here are just very skewed at so many levels and I wouldn't expect them to be representative of many national statistics in the UK. Furthermore, the claims that we have seen so far are from an extremely tiny sample size and wouldn't be taken as anything significant from any credible statistician.

The baseline is - ya'll need to calm down with always questioning people's claims. I've seen claims from you about you that I don't believe (even today) and I just looked left because na you sabi. It's really not in your or anyone's place to question adults about their lives in a public anonymous forum. No one owes you anything. If you have an argument to make, do that separately with reasonable facts and logic, and not on the back of casting doubts at someone else's claims.

Obviously, no one has done it to me so far, but I still find it annoying and distracting whenever I see people do it to others. I decided to use this weekend to talk, but I'm over it now sha. grin grin grin Goodbye for now cheesy cheesy cheesy

THIS....

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 3:40pm On Jun 11, 2023
jedisco:

Of recent is the habit of comparing bringing ones dependents which is a perfectly legal move - one the uk benefits more from to other forms of fraud. They should go ask thier parents the basis upon they migrated. A tree is not greter than its roots

Lol, the fights have moved on to credit cards oh...

But you keep mentioning parents - why is that relevant? If I said that my parents came here as part of the windrush generation to work and help rebuild Britain after the war, and not on a student/dependents visa, would my comments be more tolerable?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Treadway: 3:46pm On Jun 11, 2023
Zahra29:

But you keep mentioning parents - why is that relevant? If I said that my parents came here as part of the windrush generation to work and help rebuild Britain after the war, and not on a student/dependents visa, would my comments be more tolerable?
no dulling on this thread, na why I like am💯🤣😎. For the first time, this your example no werk o. Today's immigrants could also say just as your parents moved to rebuild Britain after the war, dem sef move to strengthen Britain after the effects of Brexit and Covid.

10 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 3:49pm On Jun 11, 2023
dustydee:

grin
I still do not like Mrs May. Her policies cost me a lot of money.

Lol, I've made my peace with her now (tbh it helped when she got booted out of govt 🙈), but I went through a (long) period of intense dislike for her. I know people who suffered directly or indirectly as a result of her policies, many of which were nasty and mean spirited. It is well....I hope you have recouped double what you lost 🤗

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 4:03pm On Jun 11, 2023
Treadway:
no dulling on this thread, na why I like am💯🤣😎. For the first time, this your example no werk o. Today's immigrants could also say just as your parents moved to rebuild Britain after the war, dem sef move to strengthen Britain after the effects of Brexit and Covid.

Lol I will take the bolded as a compliment, hopefully it means my previous examples/comments made small sense grin

But see, I've never argued against immigrants be it students or care workers. The country needs them and vice versa.

What I comment strongly on is when it's done wrongly e.g. paying for healthcare cos....or excessively.

I know life isn't always black and white, but it would be much better all around if people were honest.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jun 11, 2023
SamReinvented:

😄

Back from gym so let's close this out

1. The comparison of this thread with people in banana island as a subset of Nigerians is absurd. I don't believe the people here (or Naija immigrants generally) are as different from the rest of the population as you seem to think. On the contrary, I believe that the circumstances with which many travel means they are often in more dire financial straits than the norm, which exposes them to the debt trap, hence my constant refrain to discourage people from jumping on CCs just because.

2. Feel free to disbelieve anything I say. I know I come across as heavily skeptical myself (professional hazard) so far be it from me to begrudge you that.

3. Most crucially, I have never called anyone a liar on this thread. My comment was that the pattern was suspicious. I stand by that for the avoidance of doubt, I restate that whoever the cap fits should wear it.

I did not accost anyone and I would never do that.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Firefly77: 5:26pm On Jun 11, 2023
Please I am looking for any nigerian or African who provides informal child care in Margate Kent. Please those living in East Kent, please link me up.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 6:30pm On Jun 11, 2023
Zahra29:

I don't see the fights you are referring to. I see folks having a factual ('not tolerable') conversation.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by BuildingProject: 7:20pm On Jun 11, 2023
hustla:

The guy just dey cry over nothing

I have a £1,000 limit, I spend what I want (within my own reasonable limits) and before the statement due date comes, I make sure I pay everything and leave £70 - £90 max to be take in full via direct debit

All, I have learnt from this thread and some small Youtube videos and I am sure to tell everyone who has used my link to apply offline to practice the same method. Spend only what you have or dont spend it at all, very simple concept

I do not understand why he thinks the concept is hard or why he is triggered cheesy

I didn't spend up to 1% on mine and a 16 whooping point was removed from my credit score. Fear catch am.

You use and Don didn't pay. Wàhálà
You don't use again. Another wàhálà.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 7:37pm On Jun 11, 2023
SamReinvented:

You're quite smart and I expected better from him. The other fellow is just trolling

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Teedol: 8:28pm On Jun 11, 2023
Lemonade/ Lemfi is showing exchange rate as £1=949.

Is their a more reliable app with a higher rate? Lemonade is very reliable don't get me wrong.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 8:51pm On Jun 11, 2023
Teedol:

Is their a more reliable app with a higher rate? Lemonade is very reliable don't get me wrong.

Ohent, if you are as patient as Jonathan wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by crossbonehelped: 8:51pm On Jun 11, 2023
Hi.
Came in on the 10th of June and still staying somewhere around London but I’m supposed to get my BRP in Gorton, Manchester within ‘10’ days of arrival according to the BRP letter I got.
Problem is, I’m actually supposed to wait for some reasons till 20th of June and that will be past the 10 days for the BRP.
Don’t know if this could be an issue and if I should cal the post office ahead to say this or I definitely have to get it within the 10 days of arrival or I should just ignore and it isn’t much of an issue.
Thanks in advance house
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goke7: 8:51pm On Jun 11, 2023
Teedol:

oga pity our country small nah, haba higher rate kwa? grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 8:51pm On Jun 11, 2023
BuildingProject:

I didn't spend up to 1% on mine and a 16 whooping point was removed from my credit score. Fear catch am.

You use and Don didn't pay. Wàhálà
You don't use again. Another wàhálà.

cheesy cheesy

Man has to use
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by dupyshoo: 8:58pm On Jun 11, 2023
I am struggling to understand your question.

However, you can use this link to contact UKVI. Make sure you register your email. You will be contacted within few days to come pick your BRP.

https://www.biometric-residence-permit.service.gov.uk/collection/where

crossbonehelped:
Hi.
Came in on the 10th of June and still staying somewhere around London but I’m supposed to get my BRP in Gorton, Manchester within ‘10’ days of arrival according to the BRP letter I got.
Problem is, I’m actually supposed to wait for some reasons till 20th of June and that will be past the 10 days for the BRP.
Don’t know if this could be an issue and if I should cal the post office ahead to say this or I definitely have to get it within the 10 days of arrival or I should just ignore and it isn’t much of an issue.
Thanks in advance house

(1) (2) (3) ... (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) ... (561) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / USA Visit Visa Part 4

Viewing this topic: boerzem, jedisco(m), Goodenoch and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.