Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,390 members, 7,861,091 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 11:59 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (561) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (538367 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (558) (559) (560) (561) (562) (563) (564) ... (594) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kumbhuru: 5:41pm On May 21
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 5:53pm On May 21
jedisco:

Hehe... You seem to be conflating alot of people under my monicker.
Go back to replies when there were frequent posts 'educating' us on wrongs done by Nigerians in the UK. I did not cry racism. I illustrated that wrong can be done by all and today we have much less of those.

The level of tertiary education in the UK is today well higher that that of Nigeria. That's a fact. Very few Brits would pay 18k out of pocket for a masters degree. That is another fact. You need to take your grouse up with whoever made the 'lazy' comment as you've got me confused.

Need not want - this is my bread and butter. That was a statement the deputy head of GMC made when I came for my exam. I simply quoted this. At the time I questioned it but several years in, with each passing day I see the very truth in that.
As I have said for the umpteenth time, no immigrant is here on a diversity visa or via a lottery. As far back as the windrush arrivals, every pathway for legal immigration (aside sporadic refugees) were based on need and the British public has very publicly demanded the exit of migrants when need was met even if it came at the risk of economic self harm (cue: Brexit).
The recent post study visa review and even early marketing of it by Suella makes it clear. Every legal pathway is made open because someone convinced the government that Britain would benefit more by letting folks in than keeping them out. Guess what? I have little issue with that, always point the driver out and can give multiple instances where I have witnessed it. I am still struggling to see where 'I regularly disparage the UK'

Very selective memory that you're conveniently displaying today with your mostly off- tangent post.

Most of what you call fact is simply your subjective perspective, and various people on this thread (not just me, "Suellalet" ) have expressed different views to you over the months.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 6:32pm On May 21
aragbaboy:

According to her she opened the door thinking it was a delivery guy, he introduced himself and said he has the right to come in and inspect the property. The lady in question was new in the country about 2 months then and was not aware and familiar with a lot of things.

If she was about 2 months in the country, how long has she been in that property or did she move into the property straight from her country?

When I moved into my current place, I saw many letters inside asking 'the occupier' to register for TV licence. It's possible that those letters could have been addressed to the previous occupant. She may be able to appeal on the basis that she just moved in before the visit and didn't get such warnings (evidence needed). But again 4 months later she hasn't still registered.

Watching TV is different from watching live TV. If she does not watch live TV, she can appeal, if she does watch live TV just pay the fine.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 6:59pm On May 21
aragbaboy:
Hello,

Please has any one had a court summons as a result of tv license even after explaining that you don’t need it? The funny thing was that tv licence guy got into the property by pretending to be a delivery person. The lady at home was scared and put on the tv for him. He concluded it was being used to watch tv. 4 months later she got a court summons. She intend to plead not guilty but confused on how to respond

Plead guilty or not, the court would find her guilty + impose a fine + (or imprisonment).......

That's why we say, if you don't have a TV licence, don't open your doors anyhow or get a video doorbell.......

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 7:01pm On May 21
Viruses:

If she was about 2 months in the country, how long has she been in that property or did she move into the property straight from her country?

When I moved into my current place, I saw many letters inside asking 'the occupier' to register for TV licence. It's possible that those letters could have been addressed to the previous occupant. She may be able to appeal on the basis that she just moved in before the visit and didn't get such warnings (evidence needed). But again 4 months later she hasn't still registered.

Watching TV is different from watching live TV. If she does not watch live TV, she can appeal, if she does watch live TV just pay the fine.

Don't forget the TV licence staff already tested the device and was satisfied live TV signals are received..... How does she prove to the court, she does not watch live TV ........😁
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 7:03pm On May 21
Lexusgs430:

Plead guilty or not, the court would find her guilty + impose a fine + (or imprisonment).......

That's why we say, if you don't have a TV licence, don't open your doors anyhow or get a video doorbell.......

She cannot be sent to prison for not paying the tv license fee - only for not paying the fine that will be imposed by the court.

https://www.stepchange.org/debt-info/tv-licence-fines.aspx

Best thing to do is to try to make contact with the authority to do an out of court settlement. https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/visit#:~:text=This%20is%20called%20an%20out,much%20you%20need%20to%20pay.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by OmichaelO: 7:06pm On May 21
Hi Guys,

My missus has just done ambulance service interview and she did well (she was called), however, the visa status is the limiting issue due they mentioned it's not on the shortage occupation list, I could have sworn I saw it on the list for health and care visa under ambulance service and it says excluding paramedics. it's a band 4 role.

please how can I confirm if it's really not on the list or should we just let it go?

Update: they sent in conditional offer today, should we go ahead and continue with it then see if we can speak to HR?

@ZAHRA29, @viruses @justwise @lavida001
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 7:26pm On May 21
Goodenoch:

She cannot be sent to prison for not paying the tv license fee - only for not paying the fine that will be imposed by the court.

https://www.stepchange.org/debt-info/tv-licence-fines.aspx

Best thing to do is to try to make contact with the authority to do an out of court settlement. https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/visit#:~:text=This%20is%20called%20an%20out,much%20you%20need%20to%20pay.

You are right.... But in the past, you could be imprisoned.....
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 8:17pm On May 21
OmichaelO:
Hi Guys,

My missus has just done ambulance service interview and she did well (she was called), however, the visa status is the limiting issue due they mentioned it's not on the shortage occupation list, I could have sworn I saw it on the list for health and care visa under ambulance service and it says excluding paramedics. it's a band 4 role.

please how can I confirm if it's really not on the list or should we just let it go?

Update: they sent in conditional offer today, should we go ahead and continue with it then see if we can speak to HR?

@ZAHRA29, @viruses @justwise @lavida001

Congratulations!

Yes definitely, they should be able to sponsor so bring it up with HR as early as possible.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 8:19pm On May 21
Lexusgs430:

You are right.... But in the past, you could be imprisoned.....

No room in prisons lol (but it's actually a sad situation 😞
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 8:27pm On May 21
For those that have successfully sent guest that refused to leave their house packing, how did you do it peacefully. I have plead and plead. Looks like my next option now is to rent the house and give her the keys with the hope that when the tenure expire she will be forced to look for apartment. But an average room is £400 and I may have to sign 6 months contract. Where will I see £400 to pay for 6 months

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wallg123: 9:29pm On May 21
Viruses:
For those that have successfully sent guest that refused to leave their house packing grin, how did you do it peacefully. I have plead and plead. Looks like my next option now is to rent the house and give her the keys with the hope that when the tenure expire she will be forced to look for apartment. But an average room is £400 and I may have to sign 6 months contract. Where will I see £400 to pay for 6 months
You can’t leave the house to her because you are legally responsible for whatever happens to the house until your tenancy agreement expires.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 9:51pm On May 21
wallg123:

Oga Virus hope this no be case of romantic relationship gone sore grin.
You can’t leave the house to her because you are legally responsible for whatever happens to the house until your tenancy agreement expires.
It’s unfortunate some people sabi abuse privilege. I’ll suggest you start informing landlord or estate agents that you don’t intend renewing your tenancy at the expiration. Look for another accommodation while you wait. No point paying rent for 2 places. Alternatively na to get locksmith to change the locks whenever your friend leaves the house. Final option na to rekindle the romance or whatever relationship una get and all shall be well again cheesy
She's my sister.

I and my wife didn't expect her to stay this long and without any intentions of leaving yet.

I'm on mortgage.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wallg123: 10:00pm On May 21
Viruses:

She's my sister.

I and my wife didn't expect her to stay this long and without any intentions of leaving yet.

I'm on mortgage.
My apologies. Since she is family the only way around it is dialogue. If dialogue fails you can change the locks and put her stuff outside ( this might sound extreme but sometimes extreme measures sends clear message)… why would a sister want to put you in this situation. Don’t even think about renting a house or room for her cuz na you go still be guarantor and you know what that implies.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 10:06pm On May 21
wallg123:

My apologies. Since she is family the only way around it is dialogue. If dialogue fails you can change the locks and put her stuff outside ( this might sound extreme but sometimes extreme measures sends clear message)… why would a sister want to put you in this situation. Don’t even think about renting a house or room for her cuz na you go still be guarantor and you know what that implies.

The bolded captures it all.

I'm thinking of calling family meeting whether they can talk to her. The initial complain was the deposit, I offered to pay the deposit, I later offered both the deposit and first month rent.

Her last excuse was the place she saw does not have fridge. Na talk be that? I made a mistake, I would have bought the fridge.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by KOVIC19COVID20: 10:17pm On May 21
Viruses:

I'm thinking of calling family meeting whether they can talk to her. The initial complain was the deposit, I offered to pay the deposit, I later offered both the deposit and first month rent.

Her last excuse was the place she saw does not have fridge. Na talk be that? I made a mistake, I wouldn't have bought the fridge.

hopefully she is a skilled worker and not a student?
just dialogue with her.

but wait ohhh based on your own estimations, does she earn a lot enough to afford her own place?
help a sister

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wallg123: 10:19pm On May 21
Viruses:

Her last excuse was the place she saw does not have fridge. Na talk be that? I made a mistake, I wouldn't have bought the fridge.
Don’t bother calling for family meeting sir. She’ll blackmail you for that meeting if she hasn’t done so already. You seems to have been fair to her and she’s now abusing this. You have to deal with this heads on before it starts causing issues within your immediate family. I’m assuming she’s working ?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wallg123: 10:23pm On May 21
KOVIC19COVID20:

hopefully she is a skilled worker and not a student?
just dialogue with her

but wait ohhh based on your own estimations, does she earn a lot enough to afford her own place?
help a sister
That’s what I was thinking. It’s likely na over entitlement dey do her.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 10:30pm On May 21
Viruses:
For those that have successfully sent guest that refused to leave their house packing, how did you do it peacefully. I have plead and plead. Looks like my next option now is to rent the house and give her the keys with the hope that when the tenure expire she will be forced to look for apartment. But an average room is £400 and I may have to sign 6 months contract. Where will I see £400 to pay for 6 months

My people would say, won kin fi ajuboro gbomo lowo ekuro........

Start by changing the locks, she would be forced to call the police...... Nah police go advice her to pack out immediately......... 😁🤣
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 10:33pm On May 21
wallg123:

From frying pan to fire..... 🔥😂
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 10:58pm On May 21
Instead of quoting one by one, let me just answer here.

She's a student.
Actually shifts have not been forth coming so it looks like she's trying to save for the next fees for fear of the unknown.

I'm willing to pay the 6 months contract I will sign. I was hoping there'll be another approach beside this alternative rent and dialogue (which I have exhausted).

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 11:07pm On May 21
Viruses:

She's a student.
Actually shifts have not been forth coming so it looks like she's trying to save for the next fees for fear of the unknown.

I'm willing to pay the 6 months contract I will sign. I was hoping there'll be another approach beside this alternative rent and dialogue (which I have exhausted).

So her situation is complicated....... Unfortunately, you wouid have to continually accommodate her.......

What happens to her after 6 months......

What was your original plan for her......... You might have been the architects, of this unfortunate situation.........

I have family members willing to stay with us, if I am not happy with your plans going forward ...... I simply refuse to accommodate....... I have been tagged with all sorts, do I care........ NO....... 🤣😂

I no wan open thread for nairaland or open space for twitter...... 😁

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 11:16pm On May 21
Viruses:

She's a student.

So. If you kick her out now (a student with no shifts for the 20 hours per week). What do you reckon would become of her?
She has no recourse to public funds. She normally would only rely on family for help. You are family.

If you kick her out now, what becomes of her studies?
I know this may be a very unpopular opinion (given what suggestions you have received here), but I am of the opinion that you bear with her. Please. Don’t throw her out to the hyenas. Please.
If she is a masters student, the most she can be in studies is 12 calendar months. Once she migrates to PSW, then you may do as you please. For now, please bear with her.
Or do you want to kick her out of your house, straight back to Naija?

God has been good to you. Yo have achieved (in less time than 3 years) what some of us have not achieved in more than plenty years. You now own your home. Some of us cannot even afford a mortgage even if it is 99.8% LTV.
Please bro, be the earthly Messiah in this sister’s life.

PS: my only exception would be if she is ungrateful and disrespectful to your wife, in that case, a round table nuanced conversation is required.

20 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 11:47pm On May 21
ReesheesuKnack:

So. If you kick her out now (a student with no shifts for the 20 hours per week). What do you reckon would become of her?
She has no recourse to public funds. She normally would only rely on family for help. You are family.

I know this may be a very unpopular opinion (given what suggestions you have received here), but I am of the opinion that you bear with her. Please. Don’t throw her out to the hyenas. Please.
If she is a masters student, the most she can be in studies is 12 calendar months. Once she migrates to PSW, then you may do as you please. For now, please bear with her.

God has been good to you. Yo have achieved (in less time than 3 years) what some of us have not achieved in more than plenty years. You now own your home. Some of us cannot even afford a mortgage even if it is 99.8% LTV.

PS: my only exception would be if she is ungrateful and disrespectful to your wife, in that case, a round table nuanced conversation is required.

I think some of your response is unfair, simply because the latter part of the information, was not made available initially.........

After we got a better history, it completely changes the dynamics.......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 12:03am On May 22
Viruses:

She's a student.

As others have suggested, it might not the best idea to force her to move out while she's still studying....a more realistic target is when she's done with school/fees and can work full-time.

In the meantime, would she be willing to pay her way/(be less of a burden) by providing free childcare services for you or paid childcare for your friends? There must be families around who need a nanny, help with school runs etc

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by abuhusna1: 12:05am On May 22
Viruses:

She's my sister.

I'm on mortgage.
Just chill till she completes her studies and encourage her to start house hunting while she is nearing her studies completion. Book holiday to that period and go on holiday with your doors locked. Too much dependence will not make her realise her potentials

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 12:06am On May 22
ReesheesuKnack:

Firstly, this situation is why student visa applicants are asked to prove they have enough funds to live off during their studies.

Secondly, the fact that he has accomplished a lot does not create an obligation to someone else. To be clear, I don't think you're saying it does, but it appears she thinks that, based on her refusal to go to a place her brother got for her (and is apparently willing to pay some money to aid her move) because there's no fridge reeks of entitlement.

Lastly, all this talk about being messiah is sweet but I think you're underestimating the strife this situation can cause in the OP's own family. You even say if the sister is ungrateful and disrespectful, there should be a nuanced conversation. Lol. I say that if such disrespect (on either part, as tensions rise) hasn't taken place yet, it is bound to happen soon. So, the OP would be wise to take drastic actions to forestall it because the rift it'll cause (maybe even broader family issues) will likely be deeper and much more long-lasting than the anger at being very firmly made to leave now.

@ Viruses - find money and pay her rent for that six months or three if that's what you have. Let it be in her own name though. If it has gotten to the point that you're asking for advice here, the situation is very likely a ticking time bomb.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by abuhusna1: 12:14am On May 22
Lexusgs430:

So her situation is complicated....... Unfortunately, you wouid have to continually accommodate her.......

What happens to her after 6 months......

What was your original plan for her......... You might have been the architects, of this unfortunate situation.........

I have family members willing to stay with us, if I am not happy with your plans going forward ...... I simply refuse to accommodate....... I have been tagged with all sorts, do I care........ NO....... 🤣😂

I no wan open thread for nairaland or open space for twitter...... 😁
That 2 letter words "NO" saves you alot of drama especially this abroad.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 1:36am On May 22
Viruses:

Her last excuse was the place she saw does not have fridge. Na talk be that? I made a mistake, I would have bought the fridge.

Is she a student? If yes I’d advise you give her more time to look for a better place. Country hard.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 2:47am On May 22
abuhusna1:

That 2 letter words "NO" saves you alot of drama especially this abroad.

I am NEVER afraid to say NO..... Not at this time of my life, wey SAGA don dey give insurance quote.......😁😂

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 3:25am On May 22
Thank you all for all your comments.

I believe money is her constraint that's why I want to get a place and pay. I feel It shouldn't matter if it's in my house or another house as long as she has accommodation.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 4:13am On May 22
Zahra29:

As others have suggested, it might not the best idea to force her to move out while she's still studying....a more realistic target is when she's done with school/fees and can work full-time.

In the meantime, would she be willing to pay her way/(be less of a burden) by providing free childcare services for you or paid childcare for your friends? There must be families around who need a nanny, help with school runs etc

Lol. Zahra29 said this?? Without asking if the lady has license to do child minding?? 😆

Zahra29 showing human face. 👍🏾

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (558) (559) (560) (561) (562) (563) (564) ... (594) (Reply)

Thread for South Korea prospective students / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant

Viewing this topic: Lexusgs430, Zahra29 and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.