Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,090 members, 7,863,812 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 07:03 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (562) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (542331 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (559) (560) (561) (562) (563) (564) (565) ... (596) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 4:16am On May 22
ReesheesuKnack:

So. If you kick her out now (a student with no shifts for the 20 hours per week). What do you reckon would become of her?
She has no recourse to public funds. She normally would only rely on family for help. You are family.

If you kick her out now, what becomes of her studies?
I know this may be a very unpopular opinion (given what suggestions you have received here), but I am of the opinion that you bear with her. Please. Don’t throw her out to the hyenas. Please.
If she is a masters student, the most she can be in studies is 12 calendar months. Once she migrates to PSW, then you may do as you please. For now, please bear with her.
Or do you want to kick her out of your house, straight back to Naija?

God has been good to you. Yo have achieved (in less time than 3 years) what some of us have not achieved in more than plenty years. You now own your home. Some of us cannot even afford a mortgage even if it is 99.8% LTV.
Please bro, be the earthly Messiah in this sister’s life.

PS: my only exception would be if she is ungrateful and disrespectful to your wife, in that case, a round table nuanced conversation is required.

Seconded. This is your sister we talking about, family can't be closer than that. "Don't throw her to the hyenas." Word. She'll soon be done with school, na small remain.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by directonpc(m): 4:41am On May 22
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by directonpc(m): 4:42am On May 22
Viruses:
Instead of quoting one by one, let me just answer here.

She's a student.
Actually shifts have not been forth coming so it looks like she's trying to save for the next fees for fear of the unknown.

I'm willing to pay the 6 months contract I will sign. I was hoping there'll be another approach beside this alternative rent and dialogue (which I have exhausted).

My oga, to be African no easy. Too much sense of entitlement from people that might be able to see that you didn't get to where you're now by being entitled.

Maybe go over getting another place again, if she mention fridge again, just quickly tell her you have gotten 1 and continue with other steps for finalizing the move.

I agree with the person that said calling family meeting might not help. E fit be her words against yours.

You don't necessarily have to be her guarantor at the new place nor sign the contract in your name. You probably know this as you're more experienced here.

Wish you all the best.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by giselle237: 6:48am On May 22
Thastie:

Thanks for the response. How many letters do I submit? I’m seeing cover letter reading through the pages. I only wrote one letter of invitation
There’s nothing to do if you have already submitted the application. Goodluck
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Paxziano: 8:16am On May 22
Viruses:

She's my sister.

I and my wife didn't expect her to stay this long and without any intentions of leaving yet.

I'm on mortgage.

Being a student changes the complexity of the matter drastically especially if she is younger than you

Another factor is your wife... Is she nigerian? Cos a nigerian should understand to an extent how difficult it is for a student working 20 hrs is as well as how family life is in naija. but if your wife is a foreigner or white, she may not understand and is indirectly putting pressure on you. Could that be the case?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 9:49am On May 22
ehizario2012:

Lol. Zahra29 said this?? Without asking if the lady has license to do child minding?? 😆

Zahra29 showing human face. 👍🏾

You're not serious lol

I'm very human thank you. I respond to genuine queries here as much as I can, I just don't have much patience for wilful rule breaking or entitlement.

Childminding can be done unofficially on a trust basis, as long as both parties are comfortable with one another. It would be a good way for the lady to bring in some money and should be flexible enough to fit around her studying.

12 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 10:39am On May 22
Zahra29:

You're not serious lol

I'm very human thank you. I respond to genuine queries here as much as I can, I just don't have much patience for wilful rule breaking or entitlement.

Childminding can be done unofficially on a trust basis, as long as both parties are comfortable with one another. It would be a good way for the lady to bring in some money and should be flexible enough to fit around her studying.

I see you differently now (might not mean much to anybody though.) Respect.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 11:07am On May 22
Who do we blame.......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c888926qx58o.amp

Nigerian students reported to home office, for failure to pay fees.......
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by SerendipityHere: 11:37am On May 22
Morning everyone. does anyone know the implication of increasing your personal pension contribution at work?

Someone said if a person increases their personal pension it might affect chances of ILR as the pension is not taxed. How true is this please?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 12:29pm On May 22
Lexusgs430:
Who do we blame.......

Hmmm...I have someone caught up in this mess. TU didn't do well, I think. All mails to the school from my person received no replies. He paid his outstanding fees, school portal opened for a day or 2 after which it was locked again. Few days later, he received a mail from UKVI to leave the country. I give it to HULL in this regard. According to what I heard, they will allow you to finish your studies but you won't graduate or receive your certificate. With that you will be forced to pay your balance as you need them to forward your details to UKVI for PSW. So at the end of the day, it's a win-win for the students and the Uni.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 12:33pm On May 22
ehizario2012:

I see you differently now (might not mean much to anybody though.) Respect.

I'll probably disappoint you again tomorrow 🙈, but thanks for the kind comment 😊

7 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 12:35pm On May 22
babajeje123:

Hmmm...I [b]have someone caught up in this mess. [/b]TU didn't do well, I think. All mails to the school from my person received no replies. He paid his outstanding fees, school portal opened for a day or 2 after which it was locked again. Few days later, he received a mail from UKVI to leave the country. I give it to HULL in this regard. According to what I heard, they will allow you to finish your studies but you won't graduate or receive your certificate. With that you will be forced to pay your balance as you need them to forward your details to UKVI for PSW. So at the end of the day, it's a win-win for the students and the Uni.

What's your friend planning to do seeing as he's paid the outstanding fees?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 12:47pm On May 22
Zahra29:

What's your friend planning to do seeing as he's paid the outstanding fees?
I don't know, any idea?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by claremont(m): 1:34pm On May 22
Lexusgs430:
Who do we blame.......

See the comments on Twitter from the usual suspects.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 2:14pm On May 22
claremont:

You know X is usually a pill for depression + the depressed.........😂😁
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 2:28pm On May 22
Lexusgs430:
Who do we blame.......

The last guy on this list should just forget about raising 14k on a 20-hour limit. Where the money wan come from.

Some of these universities are quite harsh no be lie.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 2:28pm On May 22
Lexusgs430:
Who do we blame.......

Some of them are not helping matters.

Saying he travels to work for 18 hours to pay up his remaining school is a No-No!

Reason: The home office granted him a visa when he showed evidence of PoF, kept for 28 days.

What happened with the funds meant for school fees?

I wish the guy had based his argument on the sorry state of Tinululation of the Naira, instead of this his ‘I’m working 18 hours to pay my fees’ argument.

If the UK was serious about these kind of things, they could use the Belgium or German models of ‘blocked funds’. But we all know they will not.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 2:30pm On May 22
i will never understand the angle of Dont open doors anyhow or get video doorbell because one is trying to not pay £13 ish per month

Maybe it is me, but there is nothing that beats peace of mind

Lets be real.. is it possible to really not watch any live TV?? In this era

I'm just asking an innocent question..

Sometimes lets go the easier path... £13 a month will give peace of mind and you won't need to be looking out of your window or acting like you don't pay rent or own the house... acting scared where you live...

You don't want to mess with fines, court dates, and jail on your profile

That's just my opinion

Lexusgs430:

Plead guilty or not, the court would find her guilty + impose a fine + (or imprisonment).......

That's why we say, if you don't have a TV licence, don't open your doors anyhow or get a video doorbell.......

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 2:32pm On May 22
sorry about this

very tough situation.. especially as it is family... a sibling

is she working? can she afford to rent hers? so many questions that need to be answered..

Viruses:

The bolded captures it all.

I'm thinking of calling family meeting whether they can talk to her. The initial complain was the deposit, I offered to pay the deposit, I later offered both the deposit and first month rent.

Her last excuse was the place she saw does not have fridge. Na talk be that? I made a mistake, I would have bought the fridge.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 2:35pm On May 22
my question answered

renting for her means guarantor and that means you will eventually be responsible if she defaults on rent right?

Tough tough....

This sibling love is deep.... very hard for one to advise u kicking her out.. i won't do that personally sha

Viruses:
Instead of quoting one by one, let me just answer here.

She's a student.
Actually shifts have not been forth coming so it looks like she's trying to save for the next fees for fear of the unknown.

I'm willing to pay the 6 months contract I will sign. I was hoping there'll be another approach beside this alternative rent and dialogue (which I have exhausted).
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Resurgent2016: 2:38pm On May 22
SerendipityHere:
Morning everyone. does anyone know the implication of increasing your personal pension contribution at work?

Someone said if a person increases their personal pension it might affect chances of ILR as the pension is not taxed. How true is this please?

I doubt this. It reduces your tax though. If your employer is matching your voluntary contribution, gives you "double pay".

The catch is you may not be able to assess the money before 55 or 60 (cant remember the exact age) without paying some massive tax that will wipe off most of the portion contributed by your employer and still subject your portion of the contribution to tax also.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Resurgent2016: 2:41pm On May 22
profemebee:
i will never understand the angle of Dont open doors anyhow or get video doorbell because one is trying to not pay £13 ish per month

Sometimes lets go the easier path... £13 a month will give peace of mind and you won't need to be looking out of your window or acting like you don't pay rent or own the house... acting scared where you live...

That's just my opinion

I don't watch live TV...except football and I have a special arrangement for that one grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 2:44pm On May 22
lol na so

All these hide and seek in your house because of £13 bill is funny sha

Resurgent2016:

I don't watch live TV...except football and I have a special arrangement for that one grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 3:12pm On May 22
profemebee:

That's just my opinion

Honestly. £13.25 that can be spent without thinking twice at ASDA. Necessary to respect opinions though, but peace of mind far outweighs that relatively small money.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Resurgent2016: 3:27pm On May 22
profemebee:
lol na so

All these hide and seek in your house because of £13 bill is funny sha

Stopped watching live TV since I moved from my parent's house years back in Nigeria. The only live thing I watch is football and I do not use a TV for that.

So never found it useful here either.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 3:34pm On May 22
pls educate me..what device do you then watch the live football on? and how?

i just found this: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/do-i-need-tv-licence-bbc-fee-rise-b1117418.html which explains what makes one need tv license

Resurgent2016:

Stopped watching live TV since I moved from my parent's house years back in Nigeria. The only live thing I watch is football and I do not use a TV for that.

So never found it useful here either.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 3:50pm On May 22
profemebee:

That's just my opinion

I personally find it abhorrent, that I have to pay almost £160 a year, to watch television.........

The BBC should go commercial like ITV, SKY etc etc , and run around for sponsorship/advertisements...... I shall not be bankrolling the BBC.....😂

This is one tax, my Jesus body would never agree to pay ........😂😁

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 4:07pm On May 22
left to me, i don't want to pay any bills grin but that's not how life works i guess

i just don't want people getting burnt because of £13 a month....

Lexusgs430:

I personally find it abhorrent, that I have to pay almost £160 a year, to watch television.........

The BBC should go commercial like ITV, SKY etc etc , and run around for sponsorship/advertisements...... I shall not be bankrolling the BBC.....😂

This is one tax, my Jesus body would never agree to pay ........😂😁

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 4:12pm On May 22
profemebee:
left to me, i don't want to pay any bills grin but that's not how life works i guess

i just don't want people getting burnt because of £13 a month....

TV licence is an extortionate tax....... TV licence in South Africa is about £11.00 per annum (I still would not pay)......🤣
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wallg123: 4:26pm On May 22
grin Na wa oh
claremont:

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wallg123: 4:38pm On May 22
SerendipityHere:

Like someone else has mentioned above. It won’t affect your chances of ILR. I increased mine from 5% to 15%?while I was still on visas and it was never a problem. Ask the person who said so to provide the source.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wallg123: 4:42pm On May 22
Lexusgs430:

TV licence is an extortionate tax....... TV licence in South Africa is about £11.00 per annum (I still would not pay)......🤣
Me self no want to pay but na madam get the final say so I still dey pay grudgingly cry

(1) (2) (3) ... (559) (560) (561) (562) (563) (564) (565) ... (596) (Reply)

General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway

Viewing this topic: thiagoteres(m), immobilare(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.