Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,575 members, 7,865,389 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 05:06 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (563) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (544055 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (560) (561) (562) (563) (564) (565) (566) ... (597) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lastkingsman: 4:50pm On May 22
Lexusgs430:
Who do we blame.......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c888926qx58o.amp

Nigerian students reported to home office, for failure to pay fees.......

The school dey take Indian hemp
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 4:50pm On May 22
wallg123:

Me self no want to pay but na madam get the final say so I still dey pay grudgingly cry

I would not pay, but if Madam wants to pay, it would be coming from her account........😁😂

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by SerendipityHere: 4:53pm On May 22
Wow! Thanks for your input.

Resurgent2016:

I doubt this. It reduces your tax though. If your employer is matching your voluntary contribution, gives you "double pay".

The catch is you may not be able to assess the money before 55 or 60 (cant remember the exact age) without paying some massive tax that will wipe off most of the portion contributed by your employer and still subject your portion of the contribution to tax also.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by SerendipityHere: 4:56pm On May 22
Okay, noted.

Thank you very much.

wallg123:

Like someone else has mentioned above. It won’t affect your chances of ILR. I increased mine from 5% to 15%?while I was still on visas, and it was never a problem. Ask the person who said so to provide the source.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 5:16pm On May 22
babajeje123:

I don't know, any idea?

It's a dicey one, not much room for legal manoeuvre as there is no right of appeal or admin review.

There is however a chance that given the news being picked up by the BBC and Guardian, the university will relent on those who have paid up outstanding fees and re-enrol them.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Treadway: 5:23pm On May 22
ReesheesuKnack:

Some of them are not helping matters.

Saying he travels to work for 18 hours to pay up his remaining school is a No-No!

Reason: The home office granted him a visa when he showed evidence of PoF, kept for 28 days.

What happened with the funds meant for school fees?

I wish the guy had based his argument on the sorry state of Tinululation of the Naira, instead of this his ‘I’m working 18 hours to pay my fees’ argument.

If the UK was serious about these kind of things, they could use the Belgium or German models of ‘blocked funds’. But we all know they will not.
eggzactly! On this one, I agree with you 💯..pathetic and annoying! and I ain't sorry to say it.

When they (Home office) change the rules and adopt block accounts like Germany now, or even outrightly blacklist Nigerians
from student visas, everybody eye go clear. Even then, Nigerians will still yammer cos na birthright apparently

Quick question, do these people think Nigerians are the only international students? Why in the hell do you think/assume that the university will bend over backwards for you cos you are from Nigeria and your useless leaders are doing what they know how to do best? Awon ko lo koba yin now. The Nigerian maladministration and also the 'risk factor' that most if not all of them indulged in, caught up with them. It is painful, but they should take their L and re-strategize and not this stoopid protest.

We be making too much noise, as usual. Meanwhile, fact is una no rish

Shior.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 5:25pm On May 22
profemebee:
lol na so

All these hide and seek in your house because of £13 bill is funny sha

Lol

Reminds me of when I was in sixth form or thereabouts, so around 18 years old, and I went through a phase of doing "wuruwuru" with my (expired )bus pass to avoid buying a new one just yet.

Until I got caught one day by an eagle eyed ticket inspector and hauled off the bus to have my details taken down and written a fine - in public, full view of passing traffic!

I was soo h-embarrassed - needless to say, between the shame and the fine which cost more than my bus pass cry I never fare dodged again 😂

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by iyatrustee(f): 5:35pm On May 22
Zahra29:

Lol

Reminds me of when I was in sixth form or thereabouts, so around 18 years old, and I went through a phase of doing "wuruwuru" with my (expired )bus pass to avoid buying a new one just yet.

Until I got caught one day by an eagle eyed ticket inspector and hauled off the bus to have my details taken down and written a fine - in public, full view of passing traffic!

I was soo h-embarrassed - needless to say, between the shame and the fine which cost more than my bus pass cry I never fare dodged again 😂

Let me help some people in here say this grin

"So our aunty Suella once tried to game the system" cheesy now she's repented and become the gatekeeper tongue

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 5:43pm On May 22
lastkingsman:

The school dey take Indian hemp

Terms and conditions and breach....... No ganja involved....
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 5:47pm On May 22
iyatrustee:

Let me help some people on here say this grin

"So our aunty Suella once tried to game the system" cheesy now she's repented and now the gatekeeper undecided

Lol, if you like

However I daresay that a 17/18 year old trying to use an expired bus pass is quite different to a 40 year old doing the same or worse.

In any case even at that young age, there were consequences for my actions, which I faced head on. Are all those who are gaming the system in various ways willing to face the consequences of their own actions?

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by profemebee(m): 6:18pm On May 22
cheesy pretty sure you wished the ground swallowed you that moment ..hehe

Zahra29:

Lol

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by JaySterling: 6:50pm On May 22
Hey guys, how can I deliver things within the UK? I’m still new to this country

I want a luggage to be picked up from my old apartment in Newcastle and delivered to my new apartment in London

I couldn’t carry the luggage when I was moving cause I had lots of luggages with me

Now, instead of wasting train money (to and fro) to collect it, can a courier or logistics go pick it up for me and deliver to my new location. Please recommend a service for me and associated cost

Thanks Fam
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by wallg123: 8:31pm On May 22
JaySterling:

I want a luggage to be picked up from my old apartment in Newcastle and delivered to my new apartment in London

I couldn’t carry the luggage when I was moving cause I had lots of luggages with me

Now, instead of wasting train money (to and fro) to collect it, can a courier or logistics go pick it up for me and deliver to my new location. Please recommend a service for me and associated cost

Thanks Fam
The most cost effective way is to buy a national express bus ticket (round trip) or cheap off peak train ticket and go pick up your box. If not you can use DPD, fedex or Parcel force however they’ll charge you 3/4 times the cost of a train/ bus ticket.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 8:42pm On May 22
Where is my sister @missjekyll & Hyde?

July 4.

Door knocking- O’clock.

#Change
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 8:42pm On May 22
#IndependenceDay

#July4
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 8:45pm On May 22
Zahra29:

It's a dicey one, not much room for legal manoeuvre as there is no right of appeal or admin review.

There is however a chance that given the news being picked up by the BBC and Guardian, the university will relent on those who have paid up outstanding fees and re-enrol them.
I pray so
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 8:56pm On May 22
iyatrustee:

"So our aunty Suella once tried to game the system" cheesy now she's repented and become the gatekeeper tongue

Zahra29 just dey jabo since... Abi dem hack her phone?? Lol grin

We all human eventually though, and have thick red blood running in our veins.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by KingCassy(m): 10:35pm On May 22
Hello please I want to inquire … what’s the cheapest platform to send money from Nigeria to someone in uk apart from lemfi.. lemfi rate seems to be on the high side
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lexusgs430: 10:46pm On May 22
JaySterling:

Thanks Fam

DPD or https://www.anyvan.com/......

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Viruses: 11:49pm On May 22
Zahra29:

They have started re-enrolling them and restating their visas.

I understand times are hard now, but humans generally obey instructions when there are consequences. Those that didn't have money to pay, where did they see the money after their visas were curtailed? Did they just rush many hours of work or people pitied and gave them?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kwakudtraveller(m): 1:47am On May 23
Viruses:

Source?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 4:01am On May 23
iyatrustee:

We have all done bad/ilegal things in the past you know. The point is we should strive to be better than our past.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by iyatrustee(f): 5:20am On May 23
lavida001:

We have all done bad/ilegal things in the past you know. The point is we should strive to be better than our past.

Absolutely agree!

You think I was serious about that post quoting Zahra? If you read it well, you'll notice it was meant to be sacarstic.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Santa2: 5:57am On May 23
Viruses:
Instead of quoting one by one, let me just answer here.

She's a student.
Actually shifts have not been forth coming so it looks like she's trying to save for the next fees for fear of the unknown.

I'm willing to pay the 6 months contract I will sign. I was hoping there'll be another approach beside this alternative rent and dialogue (which I have exhausted).

I would have been in the same situation right now, only difference is that at the onset I made them understand in clear terms that my place was off limits and made them get an airbnb till they eventually got their place. I was the bad guy then, but now we all cool. I do not envy you. Hopefully it gets resolved amicably.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 7:04am On May 23
Viruses:

I understand times are hard now, but humans generally obey instructions when there are consequences. Those that didn't have money to pay, where did they see the money after their visas were curtailed? Did they just rush many hours of work or people pitied and gave them?
Where did you hear this?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by jedisco(m): 7:14am On May 23
Zahra29:

Very selective memory that you're conveniently displaying today with your mostly off- tangent post.

Most of what you call fact is simply your subjective perspective, and various people on this thread (not just me, "Suellalet" ) have expressed different views to you over the months.

Lol.

From 'you disparage Brits and Britain all the time' to "subjective perspective'. Its called chasing one's tail.
Next time, if you're making such an emphatic statement, it should be based on facts not emotions.

I'm done with this back and forth.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Thegamingorca(m): 7:40am On May 23
jedisco:

Lol.

From 'you disparage Brits and Britain all the time' to "subjective perspective'. Its called chasing one's tail.
Next time, if you're making such an emphatic statement, it should be based on facts not emotions.

I'm done with this back and forth.

Two heavyweights that I respect and follow on this here page having a scissoring fest? What the heck is wrong with you both this morning.

@zahra29 @jedisco
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by meowvinn: 7:54am On May 23
Pls guys I’ll really appreciate any response to my question 🙏🏾
meowvinn:
good evening all,

pls this is a long question but I will appreciate any response from experienced users here.

my sister set up an online email marketing business and registered it in the UK even though she was still in Nigeria. This was done to overcome the payment obstacles on most platforms for nigerian citizens/residents. She put my name in as a manager during the registration process. At this time, I was also still in nigeria.

fast forward to now, I’m on a student visa. She got offered business funding by Stripe which she can only claim if she’s a UK business owner AND a UK resident. She only meets one of the criteria, so she wants me to claim it in my capacity as a Manager of the business.

so my question now is:
- is being listed as a manager even though this was before coming to the Uk, against my student visa?
- is claiming the business fund using my own details not going to go against the rules of my student visa?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by meowvinn: 7:58am On May 23
Oh thank you very much
Schoolhike:

copied (Manager Listed Before Moving to the UK: Being listed as a manager for a business before you came to the UK, in itself, is not likely to violate the terms of your student visa. However, any active role you play in the business while in the UK, especially if it involves paid work, could potentially be problematic. Student visas typically have specific restrictions on the type and amount of work you can legally undertake.

Claiming the Business Fund: Using your details to claim the business fund could be considered as actively engaging in business operations, which might not align with the work restrictions on your student visa. Student visas often limit the number of hours you can work and may restrict engaging in business activities or holding certain levels of responsibility in a business.

few steps you might consider:

Review Visa Conditions: Check the specific conditions of your student visa. Most visas will explicitly state what kind of work or business activity is permitted.
Legal Advice: Given the complexity and the stakes involved (both immigration and potential legal issues around misrepresenting the business ownership or operations), it would be wise to consult with an immigration lawyer or a legal advisor who specializes in business law. They can provide advice tailored to the specifics of your case.
Communicate with Stripe: If possible, explaining the situation to Stripe may help. They might have legal teams who understand these complexities and could advise on a compliant way to process the funding.)
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Goodenoch: 8:13am On May 23
meowvinn:
Pls guys I’ll really appreciate any response to my question 🙏🏾

You need to speak to a lawyer, but two things to bear in mind:

1. You cannot be self-employed on a student visa.

See the restriction here: https://www.gov.uk/student-visa

See the government definition of self employment here: https://www.gov.uk/working-for-yourself

In my opinion, you'd be classed as self employed in this situation and would thus be violating your visa.

2. Claiming 'business funds' from Stripe will very likely bring you even more to the attention of HMRC (and from there, Home Office at some point like when you're applying for a new visa, ILR, etc.) because the business will have to declare it in tax returns and Stripe may be reporting it as well (not sure about this), which means it'll be very clear on your record that you were actively self employed as a student.

Also; as an aside, hope you know the money you're referring to as business funds is a loan that is tied not just to the business income but also to your own income and assets because Stripe Capital requires a personal guarantee? I'd strongly suggest you do more research on the implications of all that before proceeding with this.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by meowvinn: 8:46am On May 23
Thank you so much for your response.
Goodenoch:

You need to speak to a lawyer, but two things to bear in mind:

1. You cannot be self-employed on a student visa.

See the restriction here: https://www.gov.uk/student-visa

See the government definition of self employment here: https://www.gov.uk/working-for-yourself

In my opinion, you'd be classed as self employed in this situation and would thus be violating your visa.

2. Claiming 'business funds' from Stripe will very likely bring you even more to the attention of HMRC (and from there, Home Office at some point like when you're applying for a new visa, ILR, etc.) because the business will have to declare it in tax returns and Stripe may be reporting it as well (not sure about this), which means it'll be very clear on your record that you were actively self employed as a student.

Also; as an aside, hope you know the money you're referring to as business funds is a loan that is tied not just to the business income but also to your own income and assets because Stripe Capital requires a personal guarantee? I'd strongly suggest you do more research on the implications of all that before proceeding with this.

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 9:57am On May 23
Thegamingorca:

Two heavyweights that I respect and follow on this here page having a scissoring fest? What the heck is wrong with you both this morning.

@zahra29 @jedisco

Morning Thegamingorca, Jedisco and I have been having "spirited debates" since 2022. I'm used to his emotional and off-tangent outbursts by now 😂

Apologies, do not be alarmed or upset 😊

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (560) (561) (562) (563) (564) (565) (566) ... (597) (Reply)

General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway

Viewing this topic: jblesn(f), ridwando and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.