Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,252 members, 7,829,489 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:55 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (75) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (487014 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) ... (554) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lightofjoy(m): 5:42am On Jun 28, 2023
I want to ask, will the switching affect all my direct debit payment and salary too.
acosfd:
Good morning my good people

To all the switching gurus

Please how long do I need leave my £1250 in the natwest account. Can I pay the money into the natwest account today and transfer to another account the following day, or does it have to be the account for a specific period?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 7:01am On Jun 28, 2023
Hebraeem:
Thank you. I am also still making my findings for the nearest future, hopefully this floating exchange rate will yield good result.

Please will you say getting a mortgage can help with security of property in Nigeria? My thought was if one can secure a mortgage for a home/buy to let with a bank, the bank will also do their due diligence right?

And yes you are right, getting a mortgage in the west here has it advantages but I’m not sure how one can easily climb the real estate ladder. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong please. 😁

Get C of O on your land. That way you're sure of the supremacy (generally speaking) of your ownership against others and even the government if they need take it over (compensation).

There are other types of title you can get but buying land with anything less secure when you're out of the country and there's no physical structure/activity going on on the land is playing with fire.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 7:02am On Jun 28, 2023
lightofjoy:
I want to ask, will the switching affect all my direct debit payment and salary too.

Will affect recurring card payments but not direct debits/credits or standing orders.

Your salary will continue to flow in unmolested, don't worry.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 8:23am On Jun 28, 2023
lightofjoy:

It should move

I set up mine afresh though, probably did something wrong
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 8:24am On Jun 28, 2023
acosfd:
Good morning my good people

To all the switching gurus

Please how long do I need leave my £1250 in the natwest account. Can I pay the money into the natwest account today and transfer to another account the following day, or does it have to be the account for a specific period?

I left there until they paid me

About one week

Please who knows any bank that's offering switch bonus? That first direct looks dodgy and the app reviews aren't too good
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Peerielass: 8:43am On Jun 28, 2023
hustla:

About one week

Please who knows any bank that's offering switch bonus? That first direct looks dodgy and the app reviews aren't too good

HSBC £200
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lolli2pop: 9:31am On Jun 28, 2023
Hey fam please i need your advise.. i am trying to purvhase the chair below off someone but the main feature I am looking out for in an office chair is an excellent back support because of the back pain i tend to develop when working. Does anyone have experience in using similar chair?

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by gmacnoms(m): 9:34am On Jun 28, 2023
mayo47:
Then keep such information to yourself.......No need for the show off

Yes Sir
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 9:48am On Jun 28, 2023
Lolli2pop:
Hey fam please i need your advise.. i am trying to purvhase the chair below off someone but the main feature I am looking out for in an office chair is an excellent back support because of the back pain i tend to develop when working. Does anyone have experience in using similar chair?

These Executive chairs aren't the best for lumbar support. Get a good Ergonomic Office Chair.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lolli2pop: 9:53am On Jun 28, 2023
Solumtoya:

These Executive chairs aren't the best for lumbar support. Get a good Ergonomic Office Chair.

Thanks for your response dear… pls do you have any recommendations?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 10:09am On Jun 28, 2023
Peerielass:

HSBC £200

shocked

Any caveats?

EDITED:

Not sure I can meet this offer as it ends soon

To qualify for an HSBC Advance Account you'll need to be approved for an optional arranged overdraft of at least £1,000. To claim your £200 bonus, you’ll need to start your switch using the Current Account Switch Service within 30 days, including at least two Direct Debits or standing orders, and pay in £1,500+ within the first 60 days.

New customers only. You can't have held an HSBC current account or opened a new first direct current account since 1 January 2020. T&Cs and other eligibility criteria apply.

Offer ends 3 July.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Teedol: 10:26am On Jun 28, 2023
James Paul Kwame: intl passport

James Kwame: NIN

The above scenerio, what are my chances of getting my passport renewed at Abuja House in London, given that my middle name does not appear on my NIN, my surname and first name matches though. Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by mayowa94: 11:02am On Jun 28, 2023
Can I do a cleaning job as part time while on health and care worker visa?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Phayie(m): 11:56am On Jun 28, 2023
Teedol:

The above scenerio, what are my chances of getting my passport renewed at Abuja House in London, given that my middle name does not appear on my NIN, my surname and first name matches though. Thanks.

Your date of birth is more important than your second name. As long as your date of birth matches, I don't think there should be any issues
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Phayie(m): 11:58am On Jun 28, 2023
mayowa94:

If it's on occupation shortage list, YES. If not, NO
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 12:03pm On Jun 28, 2023
Teedol:

Won't work. You have to update your NIN to include your middle name. I am speaking from experience

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 12:04pm On Jun 28, 2023
mayowa94:

Most likely, NO.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 1:22pm On Jun 28, 2023
hustla:

About one week

First direct dodgy?

They have some of the, if not the best customer service and are usually ranked third in customer satisfaction surveys (the ones they give printouts of whenever you visit a physical branch of any bank), only behind Monzo and Starling.

It's a division under HSBC so there's no risk as to its viability either.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by hustla(m): 1:30pm On Jun 28, 2023
koonbey:

First direct dodgy?

They have some of the, if not the best customer service and are usually ranked third in customer satisfaction surveys (the ones they give printouts of whenever you visit a physical branch of any bank), only behind Monzo and Starling.

It's a division under HSBC so there's no risk as to its viability either.

The process just looked somehow and the app interface sef get as e be

Ill try them out and switch my Starling to them then

Thanks!
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by giselle237: 1:55pm On Jun 28, 2023
Phayie:

Your date of birth is more important than your second name. As long as your date of birth matches, I don't think there should be any issues
not true

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Teedol: 2:30pm On Jun 28, 2023
Did you update yours here in the UK, if yes how did you go about it? I learnt some agency[ies] handles NIN here in the UK,.

Solumtoya:

Won't work. You have to update your NIN to include your middle name. I am speaking from experience
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Phayie(m): 2:48pm On Jun 28, 2023
giselle237:
not true

What makes it not true? I may decide to write my fist, second and surname name on a particular document and decides to write only my first name and surname on the other document and it'll still be acceptable unlike if I have my first, second and surname but my date of birth is different say maybe I wrote 1990 instead of 1980 and it won'tbe acceptable. So what makes it not true?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lolli2pop: 3:33pm On Jun 28, 2023
Phayie:

What makes it not true? I may decide to write my fist, second and surname name on a particular document and decides to write only my first name and surname on the other document and it'll still be acceptable unlike if I have my first, second and surname but my date of birth is different say maybe I wrote 1990 instead of 1980 and it won'tbe acceptable. So what makes it not true?

My dear you are seeing this issue from a general perspective not from the NIN’s perspective lool
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Hebraeem: 5:21pm On Jun 28, 2023
Thanks but if you noticed I mentioned family home or buy-to-let and not an empty land.

koonbey:

Get C of O on your land. That way you're sure of the supremacy (generally speaking) of your ownership against others and even the government if they need take it over (compensation).

There are other types of title you can get but buying land with anything less secure when you're out of the country and there's no physical structure/activity going on on the land is playing with fire.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by giselle237: 6:12pm On Jun 28, 2023
Phayie:
it doesnt work like that with NIN and International passport from your country Nigeria. NAMES AND DOB must match alphabet for alphabet.
If any discrepancy they wont renew passport until the data is modified .
Did the person ask for generic circumstances or they specifically asked about RENEWING Nigerian passport? Pls dnt fail exam this way.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by zeezeepearl: 6:23pm On Jun 28, 2023
[quote author=koonbey post=124086301]

Please, have anyone experience this? Kindly share. Last week my employer sent me for Access NI check which I have applied and they paid for it, And today i received an email that they will verify my documents on Teams call to confirm that my ID documents are a true identity of me to complete my Access NI check application, what does it mean? Bear in mind, I am still in Naija waiting for COS. What is Teams call?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jun 28, 2023
[quote author=zeezeepearl post=124091806][/quote]
Teams call is a video call on Microsoft Teams. It's just like Zoom. Download and install it on your device and you'll be good to go.

Doesn't seem too unusual. I know people are often asked to show their IDs on a video call at the start of an interview.

Go on the call and show it. I don't think there's anything to be worried about.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by yomisley: 6:56pm On Jun 28, 2023
UK will humble so teh you go see woman weh don born 4kids you go still dey romance her cos you wan knack grin grin grin grin

LagosismyHome:

Na wa for you oooo. Are married people not doing it steady every week or even daily in some cases tongue. Life is for the living . Why you no go live your life to the fullest . UK or no UK

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Solumtoya: 7:15pm On Jun 28, 2023
Teedol:
Did you update yours here in the UK, if yes how did you go about it? I learnt some agency[ies] handles NIN here in the UK,.

There are lots of agencies here in the UK depending on where you live. I'm doing one for my daughter but it's in Cardiff.

I updated my middle name in Nigeria though.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Phayie(m): 7:24pm On Jun 28, 2023
Lolli2pop:

My dear you are seeing this issue from a general perspective not from the NIN’s perspective lool

Oh! I forgot Nigeria is still a third world country. I think you're right
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Phayie(m): 7:31pm On Jun 28, 2023
hustla:

The process just looked somehow and the app interface sef get as e be

Ill try them out and switch my Starling to them then

Thanks!

Edited

It's simple to use First Direct. Even the number of letters they send you will amaze you. I earned switch bonuses from Natwest, Royal Bank of Scotland and First Direct even though RBS are Natwest's arm.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by zeezeepearl: 8:11pm On Jun 28, 2023
Thank you so much @Koonbey. Again how long does it take for the employer to assign one a COS after you might have accepted a job offer?

I did my interview January and they got back to me that I was successful and went mute.. then last month they came again for my documentation and background checks. And that they are still awaiting the outcome of the sponsorship. I don't really understand how all these things work. The wait is killing..

koonbey:

Teams call is a video call on Microsoft Teams. It's just like Zoom. Download and install it on your device and you'll be good to go.

Doesn't seem too unusual. I know people are often asked to show their IDs on a video call at the start of an interview.

Go on the call and show it. I don't think there's anything to be worried about.

(1) (2) (3) ... (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) ... (554) (Reply)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3

Viewing this topic: timelessboy, Lexusgs430, Elderss, Controlv and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.