Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,447 members, 7,819,654 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:57 PM

10th House: Ugochinyere, 62 Other Opposition Members-elect Endorse Abass, Kalu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 10th House: Ugochinyere, 62 Other Opposition Members-elect Endorse Abass, Kalu (246 Views)

Shehu Sani Explains Why Senators, Including Opposition Members, Fear Suspension / 10th NASS Leadership: Tinubu In Secret Talks With Opposition Members-elect / 178 Reps-Elect Endorse Gbajabiamila For Speaker (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

10th House: Ugochinyere, 62 Other Opposition Members-elect Endorse Abass, Kalu by kahal29: 4:40pm On May 24, 2023
The Spokesman of the Coalition of United Political Parties (CUPP) and member-elect for Ideato North/South federal constituency of Imo State, Ikenga Ugochinyere, and 62 other members-elect from the opposition parties, have endorsed the All Progressives Congress (APC) consensus candidates, Hon. Tajudeen Abbas and Hon. Benjamin Kalu, for Speaker, Deputy Speaker of the incoming 10th National Assembly.

Ugochinyere made this known at a press conference addressed in Abuja on Wednesday.

He called on other candidates in the race who were banking on opposition votes to stage a rebellion against the Abbas/Kalu ticket to withdraw from the race as the opposition votes they were banking on would no longer be available for them.

While describing Abass and Kalu as men of integrity, and competence to preside over the affairs of the 10th House of Representatives, Ugochinyere said it was time for national development, growth and stability and not the time for party politics.

He called on the APC not to do anything that will tarnish the character of Hon. Abbas and Kalu or the independence of the House if the duo emerged victorious.

The CUPP spokesman also stated that allegations that the House Rules were tampered with were not true, stating that the House Rules were last printed in December 2020 and not after the 2023 elections, hence by the extant Rules, the election of the presiding officers of the House will be by open ballot system.

Ugochinyere said, “It is on this note that I call on my fellow colleague members-elect who are still in the race to stop and join the prefect of the class, Hon Tajudeen Abbas, to steer the ship of the 10th Assembly to beat the records of the other Houses in performance and achievement for Nigeria. Our common goal now should be beyond party and partisan politics and totally focused on Nigeria and her greater good. We want the best and we have selected the best and importantly, the selection is by merit.

“I do not speak for myself alone. I speak for the 63 likeminded Honourable members-elect of the opposition family who have agreed on a common vision for the 10th Assembly. We will transform to the TBK Group. Our 63 votes without any dissent or abstention will go for Hon. Tajudeen Abbas. In the coming days, Nigerians will come to know the identity of the TBK Group and will also feel our impact.”

In his closing remarks, another member-elect to represent Isuikwuato/Umunneochi federal constituency under the platform of Labour Party, Hon. Amobi Ogah, said, “For the first time, we are trying to make history. I’m supporting Abass and Kalu not because APC picked them. Abass and Kalu have the capacity and competence. The tenth Assembly will be a unique one if the duo emerge as Speaker, Deputy. I beg my colleagues to support the duo in the interest of National unity.”

https://leadership.ng/10th-house-ugochinyere-62-other-opposition-members-elect-endorse-abass-kalu/
Re: 10th House: Ugochinyere, 62 Other Opposition Members-elect Endorse Abass, Kalu by kahal29: 4:42pm On May 24, 2023

(1) (Reply)

Tinubu: The Next 4 Years Will Put Nigeria On A Path To Global Prominence - Danie / Buhari Really Finished Nigeria / Nairaland's Colour Theme Has Changed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.