Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,225 members, 7,836,087 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:39 PM

Comparison Between Taxi Drivers and Civil Servants - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Comparison Between Taxi Drivers and Civil Servants (522 Views)

The Number Of Children Living As Servants By State - StatiSense 2021 / Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? / Police And Civil Defence Harassment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Comparison Between Taxi Drivers and Civil Servants by PowerOfLove: 7:39pm On May 25, 2023
This has bothered me such that my friends and I had to go into argument today.

A civil servant may earn N150k or less in Nigeria but he or she lives in a 1 or two bedroom apartment with family, well furnished, eat 2-3 times a day of average or standard food, dress well and smell nice. He may even have a car of his/her own. Total annual salary is less than N2m.

But a taxi or Keke driver makes at the lowest N15k everyday but they hardly have what to show for. A mini bus driver once told me he made N30k the previous day and I was shocked. Due to hike in prices of fuel, the shortest distance now is N100 and that is huge when summed with the number of passengers at the end of the day. So on average, they make N15k/day, and for 30 days is N450k. Remove whatever may take money from them including maintenance, they should save up at least N150k/month.

But you hardly see any of them living in a standard apartment. They stay in one room apartment where pots and stove are kept inside that same one room. They born 4 or more children 4 and still stay inside that one room. They don't dress well and don't look like those feeding well. They do contribution here and there, still nothing to show.

Where do these people keep their money? What is collecting money from Taxi and Keke drivers, even when they obviously earn more than civil servants but standard of living cannot be compared?

I'm a concerned Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: Comparison Between Taxi Drivers and Civil Servants by Moh247: 7:46pm On May 25, 2023
You can only understand if you try out Uber or Taxify

Cars gulp money, a tire air is #200 , brake fluid 1200, transmission fluid

You must eat and eat and eat driving takes food away like anything

You must drink shekpe to face the customers especially female riders

Police and road safety

An average car uses a Gallon for 13km town drive, that's like 5 liters for 13 to 15km 4 plug engine

Only way they can make reasonable money is through daily contribution

3 Likes

Re: Comparison Between Taxi Drivers and Civil Servants by ahiboilandgas: 8:07pm On May 25, 2023
PowerOfLove:

A civil servant may earn N150k or less in Nigeria but he or she lives in a 1 or two bedroom apartment with family, well furnished, eat 2-3 times a day of average or standard food, dress well and smell nice. He may even have a car of his/her own. Total annual salary is less than N2m.

But a taxi or Keke driver makes at the lowest N15k everyday but they hardly have what to show for. A mini bus driver once told me he made N30k the previous day and I was shocked. Due to hike in prices of fuel, the shortest distance now is N100 and that is huge when summed with the number of passengers at the end of the day. So on average, they make N15k/day, and for 30 days is N450k. Remove whatever may take money from them including maintenance, they should save up at least N150k/month.

But you hardly see any of them living in a standard apartment. They stay in one room apartment where pots and stove are kept inside that same one room. They born 4 or more children 4 and still stay inside that one room. They don't dress well and don't look like those feeding well. They do contribution here and there, still nothing to show.

Where do these people keep their money? What is collecting money from Taxi and Keke drivers, even when they obviously earn more than civil servants but standard of living cannot be compared?

it called gross earning .The net after they remove cost of capital , depreciation etc na 3k per day go remain
Re: Comparison Between Taxi Drivers and Civil Servants by degamonn: 8:11pm On May 25, 2023
Civil servants earn other undisclosed income such as training allowance, workshop allowance, promotion arrears etc. For that reason, the use of their basic take home pay to compare with that drivers might not be too appropriate.
Besides ,as a civil servant, you learn how to dress well and smell nice right from school. Commercial drivers learn to look unkempt right from when they start to learn driving as conductor .The difference, if at all it exists, between commercial drivers and taught ( Agbo) is very tiny. Please, I'm not referring to the modern days Uber drivers and co.

2 Likes

Re: Comparison Between Taxi Drivers and Civil Servants by Natural2Heal: 8:53pm On May 25, 2023
ahiboilandgas:
it called gross earning .The net after they remove cost of capital , depreciation etc na 3k per day go remain
Civil servants are heavily indebted and take them long years to build a house. Whereas most keke riders are house owner or about to complete their house building. I believe an average keke rider's net earnings per day will be 10,000 naira.
Re: Comparison Between Taxi Drivers and Civil Servants by frozen70(f): 10:57pm On May 25, 2023
PowerOfLove:

Their life style is responsible for their broke life

They don't believe in planning because they touch money every day and always believe that any time they enter road they will touch money

They drink any how after the days job and end up with their numerous girlfriends

They don't save for rainny days that why when their vehicles knocks engine they become helpless to repair it
So they will rather borrow money to repair it and work to pay back the money

They don't service their vehicle the way their civil servant counterpart does because they belive that it's not really necessary but a waste of time

They are not after being neat and at times they don't bath to be neat but bath for water to touch their body

Civil servants are educated and very civil, they won't to school amd understands that they have to create a particular standard of living

But you see this bus drives, lack of education is part of their problems

And they keep women in every major parks so they can branch anytime to be with them

So he must spend to impress them

Inshot they have access to women anyhow in the parks

4 Likes

Re: Comparison Between Taxi Drivers and Civil Servants by Godwin4444: 9:28am On May 26, 2023
degamonn:
Civil servants earn other undisclosed income such as training allowance, workshop allowance, promotion arrears etc. For that reason, the use of their basic take home pay to compare with that drivers might not be too appropriate.
Besides ,as a civil servant, you learn how to dress well and smell nice right from school. Commercial drivers learn to look unkempt right from when they start to learn driving as conductor .The difference, if at all it exists, between commercial drivers and taught ( Agbo) is very tiny. Please, I'm not referring to the modern days Uber drivers and co.
another thing is that civil servants have access to loans with low interest which they will pay with convenience than all these taxi drivers n besides most taxi drivers live reckless lives n they have d mindset that if d finish today own I go see another one tomorrow

1 Like

Re: Comparison Between Taxi Drivers and Civil Servants by Nice2023(m): 11:15am On May 26, 2023
Let me book a space I will come back when I am done.

(1) (Reply)

Come In Here For Your Charcoal Stove / What Are You Starting To Like LESS The Older You Get? / Is It Advisable To Breast Feed In Public

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.