Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,422 members, 7,812,240 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:30 AM

Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? (25544 Views)

Counter-Thread: Married Women With No/ Low Source Of Income, How Are You Coping? / How Are You Coping With The Current Economic Situation? / Married Men With No/ Low Source Of Income, How Are You Coping? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by Dimaya: 6:18am On Jul 05, 2023
I am writing this post in response to my initial post that made front page yesterday in which a lady said she won't get pregnant until her husband starts earning over 200K

See here:
https://www.nairaland.com/7729988/girl-wont-get-pregnant-husband/

People's reactions got me thinking heavily because nobody addressed the obvious elephant in the room:

unreasonable civil service salaries

In the original post's video, it was established that Nigerian civil servants starting out with a degree ( level 8 ) earn an average of 75K monthly.

And it takes as much as 15-20 years before they can earn close to 200K monthly.

With the current high cost of living (particularly food, transportation and housing), it seems the government doesn't expect civil servants to be able to support their families on their salaries.

This begs the question: does the Nigerian government pay enough for civil servants to get married?

And also, if you're a married civil servant earning less than 100K, how on earth are you able to meet your obligations today?

How?

the video referenced in the previous post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t66DkQl0j50

5 Likes

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by Nobody: 6:25am On Jul 05, 2023
[url][/url]Most Nigerians are suffering sha. It breaks my heart to see young men and women suffer daily for a meager sum. Yes they should get married but on a very low budget, don't do more than your power

44 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by Ahmed0336(m): 7:07am On Jul 05, 2023
No do pass yourself.
One must not marry from a rich family.
Look for a noble family and marry from there.
If the lady is a hustler, bring her to the city, secure a loan then give it to her to start a business.
Get an affordable house maybe a room and parlour.
Don't give birth to more than two.
In summary no do pass yourself if your monthly income is less than 100k in this present economy.

207 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by Nobody: 7:14am On Jul 05, 2023
Ahmed0336:
No do pass yourself.
If the lady is a hustler, bring her to the city, secure a loan then give it to her to start a business.
Get and affordable house maybe room and parlour.
In summary no do pass yourself if your monthly income is less than 100k in this present economy.
You are spot on

65 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by Dimaya: 11:05am On Jul 05, 2023
Ahmed0336:
No do pass yourself.

Also, you need alternate income sources

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by Zigzagman: 7:10am On Jul 06, 2023
No they shouldn't. marriage is just too expensive for civil service wages

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by Dimaya: 9:37am On Jul 06, 2023
Zigzagman:
No they shouldn't. marriage is just too expensive for civil service wages

That's why most of them are disincentivized to put in their best in government work

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by Zigzagman: 1:49pm On Jul 06, 2023
Dimaya:

That's why most of them are disincentivized to put in their best in government work

So what do you hope to achieve by starting these conversations on nairaland?

1 Like

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by Dimaya: 6:07pm On Jul 06, 2023
Zigzagman:

So what do you hope to achieve by starting these conversations on nairaland?

People need answers that are practical and work for them where they are. I can't count the number of people I've met who are currently relocating back to their villages from the big cities because of the high cost of living.

People need to share their wisdom on how they're handling the present inflation of basic commodities. I hope to hear ideas we all can use to survive and thrive

56 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by ogawisdom(m): 6:28am On Jul 07, 2023
As if salary should be their only source of income?

Yes they should marry a productive woman earning something too and expand their source of income

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by Dimaya: 12:45pm On Jul 07, 2023
ogawisdom:
As if salary should be their only source of income?

Yes they should marry a productive woman earning something too and expand their source of income

what do you mean by this?

2 Likes

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by emadamysy: 3:41pm On Jul 07, 2023
Ahmed0336:
No do pass yourself.
Monthly Income less than 100k and you dey suggest 2 pikin, for this economy
Even one sef, e no reach. Make them just marry and no born biko

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by Zigzagman: 4:17pm On Jul 07, 2023
grin grin grin grin grin

emadamysy:
Monthly Income less than 100k and you dey suggest 2 pikin, for this economy
Even one sef, e no reach. Make them just marry and no born biko

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by theophorus(m): 4:36pm On Jul 07, 2023
If Govt. Staff no fit marry na those people wen dey Private schools go come marry?

Abeg, make everybody cut their clothes according to their cloth. No be by Force to live for 2bedroom flat. Na human being dey live for face me face you and no be by force to chop with meat and fish, remove one and manage till salary reach 200k.

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by Zigzagman: 5:02pm On Jul 07, 2023
theophorus:
If Govt. Staff no fit marry na those people wen dey Private schools go come marry?

Abeg, make everybody cut their clothes according to their cloth. No be by Force to live for 2bedroom flat. Na human being dey live for face me face you and no be by force to chop with meat and fish, remove one and manage till salary reach 200k.

abegi, just forget dat private school mata. e get one of my yard people wey go find work for private school last month. Na 17,000 dem wan pay am to teach 4 subjects. 17,000 o grin grin grin grin

54 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by Acidosis(m): 5:40pm On Jul 07, 2023
This na era of sapa bien merci. Look well before you jump inside marriage o. cheesy

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by CodeTemplar: 5:40pm On Jul 07, 2023
Stagnant earning in the face of inflation always reset brains. Inflation is such a phenomenon that N200k of tomorrow may only be able to afford what N100k can today.
Where will those N200k-husband-or-nothing crew then run to?
That's why Paul speaking to the church at Ephesus says they should stop stealing and produce basic necessities of one another instead that they may have something to give out. Ephesians 4:28.

Money can decrease in value but things hardly do.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by CodeTemplar: 5:44pm On Jul 07, 2023
Acidosis:

This na era of sapa bien merci. Look well before jump inside marriage o. cheesy
Some persons looked and looked very well before jumping in but their N200k can only afford what N75k could as at when they decided to jump in. What next then?

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by CodeTemplar: 5:51pm On Jul 07, 2023
theophorus:

Our problem.generally is societal pressure of wanting to maintain a dignified job. That has made supply of teachers exceed demand and brought prices down. There is demand for food right now but teaching is so safe compared to farming people prefer to apply than farm. Technically there are jobs in agriculture but few applicants(entrepreneurs) and so teachers get offered peanuts.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by JeffreyJunior: 7:10pm On Jul 07, 2023
As Nigeria is now, every male including he-goats should go for vasectomy and every female should tie their wombs until we know the direction Tinubu is going.

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by maclatunji: 7:42pm On Jul 07, 2023
A civil servant is allowed to do agriculture legally and I am not sure the government (their employer) has time to chase them from earning income in their spare time as things are. People are getting public service jobs and making progress with their lives however they can.

If you are humble and don't overstretch yourself, you can achieve your objectives. Nothing new, nothing special. It's part of being a responsible adult.

7 Likes

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by Dimaya: 8:04pm On Jul 07, 2023
JeffreyJunior:
As Nigeria is now, every male including he-goats should go for vasectomy and every female should tie their wombs until we know the direction Tinubu is going.

grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by oweniwe(m): 8:10pm On Jul 07, 2023
What about those without jobs/ Unemployed people? They should go and die?

They have stable civil service work, let them thank their stars first

32 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by Zigzagman: 3:40pm On Jul 10, 2023
oweniwe:
What about those without jobs/ Unemployed people? They should go and die?

They have stable civil service work, let them thank their stars first

this is wickedness grin grin grin grin
Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by stacyadams: 4:46pm On Jul 10, 2023
Zigzagman:

abegi, just forget dat private school mata. e get one of my yard people wey go find work for private school last month. Na 17,000 dem wan pay am to teach 4 subjects. 17,000 o grin grin grin grin
.....lol ibo man......anom na yard grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by ideatoprince18(m): 4:51pm On Jul 10, 2023
May Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping favor me and my family

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by slawomir: 4:51pm On Jul 10, 2023
Damnnn niggar

Grab my weed to read comments and lamentations of married people

Let the shege and suffering go round

I used to give money out to people but after this election I realised something that even the beggar on the street will still step into the polling unit on the day of election with tribalism
So since February I nor green give anybody money again and he go remain so for the next four years

43 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by Abbeyme: 4:52pm On Jul 10, 2023
NnĂ  men...... No be moin moin.
Billing no dey stop; left, right and center.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by nautybride: 4:52pm On Jul 10, 2023
angry angry
As a novice who knows how to operate a computer system to a certain extent. A little graphics here and there. I am Oliver Twist. Any idea to earn better figures?
Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by kingamaa(m): 4:52pm On Jul 10, 2023
We are not coping, nothing to cope with

Breathing sef is difficult

We are just living from hand to mouth. Period.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Married Civil Servants In Today's Economy, How are you coping? by adioolayi(m): 4:53pm On Jul 10, 2023
How are they coping

Make dem un-marry or what

See question

grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

My Experience - The Scourge Of PHCN Estimated Billing / What Would You First Go Through On Your Spouses' Phone If Given The Chance? / Have You Also Called Your Father Today? (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.