Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,704 members, 7,816,881 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:21 PM

I Made A Huge Mistake That Almost Cost Me My Job. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / I Made A Huge Mistake That Almost Cost Me My Job. (24237 Views)

I Made This Huge Mistake In The Sixth Year Of My Professional Career / My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless / How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Made A Huge Mistake That Almost Cost Me My Job. by Rubyjade: 8:19am On May 29, 2023
I made a huge mistake that almost cost me my job.
This is when I didn't understand the principles of Effective Communication.

Want to learn from my mistakes? Keep reading.

Five years ago, while working remotely at Andela, I learned a valuable lesson about the power of communication.

Over-communication is key for success.

I received a Slack message from a product manager on a Friday, asking me to check out a bug reported by an important customer.

Naively assuming I would fix it on Monday, I went off to enjoy my weekend, unaware of the consequences that awaited me.

When I returned on Monday, the product manager singled me out during the morning call. He accused me of not caring about customers, of ignoring him on Slack, and failing to provide feedback.

The weight of my mistake hit me hard, and I realised that a simple act of over communication could have saved me from this ordeal.

From that point on, over communication became one of my personal values. Here's how I put it into practice:

1️⃣ Double ask every doubt: Whenever I receive a task or instruction, I ask for clarification on the deadline, the goal, and the scope.

I don't assume anything. I listen attentively, confirm my understanding, and express gratitude for the explanation.

Being a great communicator requires active listening and comprehension.

2️⃣ Provide regular updates: Even when not required, I make it a habit to give regular updates on my progress.

Whether it's a freelance project or working with a team, people appreciate being in the loop. I send emails, share progress reports, and ensure transparency.

This level of accountability and responsiveness appreciated in the workplace.

3️⃣ Show gratitude and kindness: A culture of gratitude and kindness goes a long way in building positive relationships.

I make it a point to express gratitude to my colleagues, especially when they go above and beyond to support me.

A simple "thank you" in a daily call, or a shoutout on Slack, acknowledging and appreciating others can foster a supportive work environment.

By doing these, I have seen the positive impact they have on my work relationships and overall success.

People notice when you go the extra mile to communicate, and it helps build trust and collaboration.

151 Likes 16 Shares

Re: I Made A Huge Mistake That Almost Cost Me My Job. by Wodu89: 8:53am On May 29, 2023
I like the point you stressed.

Over communication is the key to success

So many Nigerian employees fail to understand time and time again.

When you place deamnd for the feedback after aeon years of askingz they explode. They prefer to rather explode. This is even asking after the deadline has massively elapsed.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Made A Huge Mistake That Almost Cost Me My Job. by Godfullsam(m): 9:37am On May 29, 2023
Effective communication yes

Over-communication? No!

Over communication can trigger unnecessary anger and may give you out as an unserious employee.

Especially if your superior is a female.

83 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I Made A Huge Mistake That Almost Cost Me My Job. by Wealthoptulent(m): 9:37am On May 29, 2023
cry well, its good when one have job description, aim & goals. Every job is like being a Medical doctor, one don't ignore or assume and delay task, as it may cause long regrettable Landmark in one's career with dent sometimes.

11 Likes

Re: I Made A Huge Mistake That Almost Cost Me My Job. by DesChyko: 9:37am On May 29, 2023
I got called out for a similar reason recently. Although for a slightly different communication issue.

I put my PC on priority notifications only to reduce distractions while working; this being because a lot of calculation is involved in every single task I do and I like to do them mentally since using tools can shave off extra minutes during processing. Most importantly, I like a very quiet and secluded environment, with just me and my music while working remote.

This can be quite costly as I often miss teammates' messages, team calls, and the likes. I got called out for 'lack of communication' in our last meeting as I came late for the meeting which was impromptly scheduled, then went ahead to personalize a response and sent it to the employer; a response that was agreed to be sent as a team response in another meeting impromptly scheduled that I missed.

Omo.. It wasn't funny. One downside of over communication though is you may be drawn into conversations of rather insignificant or negative value to you or your job and you'd rather not have.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Made A Huge Mistake That Almost Cost Me My Job. by marlow1962(m): 9:37am On May 29, 2023
Ok, thank God you still have your job back.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Made A Huge Mistake That Almost Cost Me My Job. by Abbeyme: 9:38am On May 29, 2023
Communication and openness is key.

Updates on Jira is importanter.
Re: I Made A Huge Mistake That Almost Cost Me My Job. by 900warriorz: 9:39am On May 29, 2023
E dey happen....we've been there before grin
Re: I Made A Huge Mistake That Almost Cost Me My Job. by NamelessOGBENI(m): 9:39am On May 29, 2023
A nice one!

You see that spirit of assumption/over communication is killing some of us over here and we lack the spirit of gratitude, a simple thank you is so heavy for some of us. I'm glad you learn your lesson and I'm happy I can learn from you too.

8 Likes

Re: I Made A Huge Mistake That Almost Cost Me My Job. by slawomir: 9:40am On May 29, 2023
Damnnn niggar

Isoright
Re: I Made A Huge Mistake That Almost Cost Me My Job. by chukwuebuka65(m): 9:40am On May 29, 2023
Rubyjade:

Five years ago, while working remotely at Andela, I learned a valuable lesson about the power of communication.

I received a Slack message from a product manager on a Friday, asking me to check out a bug reported by an important customer.

Naively assuming I would fix it on Monday, I went off to enjoy my weekend, unaware of the consequences that awaited me.

When I returned on Monday, the product manager singled me out during the morning call. He accused me of not caring about customers, of ignoring him on Slack, and failing to provide feedback.

The weight of my mistake hit me hard, and I realised that a simple act of over communication could have saved me from this ordeal.

From that point on, over communication became one of my personal values. Here's how I put it into practice:

1️⃣ Double ask every doubt: Whenever I receive a task or instruction, I ask for clarification on the deadline, the goal, and the scope.

I don't assume anything. I listen attentively, confirm my understanding, and express gratitude for the explanation.

2️⃣ Provide regular updates: Even when not required, I make it a habit to give regular updates on my progress.

Whether it's a freelance project or working with a team, people appreciate being in the loop. I send emails, share progress reports, and ensure transparency.

3️⃣ Show gratitude and kindness: A culture of gratitude and kindness goes a long way in building positive relationships.

I make it a point to express gratitude to my colleagues, especially when they go above and beyond to support me.

A simple "thank you" in a daily call, or a shoutout on Slack, acknowledging and appreciating others can foster a supportive work environment.

By doing these, I have seen the positive impact they have on my work relationships and overall success.

People notice when you go the extra mile to communicate, and it helps build trust and collaboration.

I have seen this article before. Are you the original author?

3 Likes

Re: I Made A Huge Mistake That Almost Cost Me My Job. by SmartyPants(m): 9:41am On May 29, 2023
Replying to your boss in that instance would not have been overcommunication. That's the bare minimum.

2 Likes

Re: I Made A Huge Mistake That Almost Cost Me My Job. by kulblazer(m): 9:41am On May 29, 2023
Communication is really important

1 Like

Re: I Made A Huge Mistake That Almost Cost Me My Job. by luckedesiri(m): 9:41am On May 29, 2023
Rubyjade:

.... As u no lose your job... Thank God... Na the important thing be that

2 Likes

Re: I Made A Huge Mistake That Almost Cost Me My Job. by thesicilian: 9:42am On May 29, 2023
There's a saying in my place that when a child with parents is being advice, the wise orphan should also listen. It's always good to learn from the mistakes of others.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Made A Huge Mistake That Almost Cost Me My Job. by Coder2Client(m): 9:42am On May 29, 2023
Thank you for sharing

1 Like

Re: I Made A Huge Mistake That Almost Cost Me My Job. by Zidoh(m): 9:43am On May 29, 2023
A simple and straight forward with lesson to learn story

1 Like

Re: I Made A Huge Mistake That Almost Cost Me My Job. by Neoteny7: 9:43am On May 29, 2023
Rubyjade:

This is sus.

Sounds suspiciously like something from one of those ubiquitous motivational books

5 Likes

Re: I Made A Huge Mistake That Almost Cost Me My Job. by Barywhyte(m): 9:44am On May 29, 2023
This is really the case with remote work, especially when you work with international companies like Andela clients. I learnt this also at Andela. Communication is very key to remote success.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Made A Huge Mistake That Almost Cost Me My Job. by Hambivert: 9:45am On May 29, 2023
I have learned to express my concerns, ask enough questions because I've come to understand you can never ask it all.
..."but I thought"
..."I'm sorry I thought" I try to avoid that as well.
A wise man once said "assumption is the mother of all fox up". Experience have made me better.

2 Likes

Re: I Made A Huge Mistake That Almost Cost Me My Job. by fabolouz1(m): 9:45am On May 29, 2023
Thank your stars it didn't cost you and kudos for accepting your misnomer.
Re: I Made A Huge Mistake That Almost Cost Me My Job. by ecolime(m): 9:46am On May 29, 2023
Seems we have lots of Andela folks on NL cool
Re: I Made A Huge Mistake That Almost Cost Me My Job. by Niyonice(m): 9:46am On May 29, 2023
That's the best way to go about stuffs, get adequate information, give weekly or mid weeks update on your progression and don't joke about the deadline.

Check my signature for well researched articles/assignment write up
Re: I Made A Huge Mistake That Almost Cost Me My Job. by Tayorshd87: 9:49am On May 29, 2023
Re: I Made A Huge Mistake That Almost Cost Me My Job. by bestman09(m): 9:50am On May 29, 2023
shocked
Re: I Made A Huge Mistake That Almost Cost Me My Job. by opalu: 9:50am On May 29, 2023
Ok
Re: I Made A Huge Mistake That Almost Cost Me My Job. by Brownshoe: 9:52am On May 29, 2023
Hope salary huge sha? Because all this small small wahala.
Re: I Made A Huge Mistake That Almost Cost Me My Job. by Deicide: 10:10am On May 29, 2023
Extroverts forcing introverts to bend to their will.
Re: I Made A Huge Mistake That Almost Cost Me My Job. by Kobicove(m): 10:13am On May 29, 2023
chukwuebuka65:

I have seen this article before. Are you the original author?

Neoteny7:

This is sus.

Sounds suspiciously like something from one of those ubiquitous motivational books

@OP 2 people have just accused you of plagiarism undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Police Suspend Recruitment Of 10,000 Constables, Give Reasons / Jobs In Ibadan. / Does It Make Sense For A B.sc Holder To Be A Pump Attendant?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.