Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:40 AM

How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job (28784 Views)

QNET Syndicate Held Hundreds Captive In Lagos Over Foreign Job Scam / I Made A Huge Mistake That Almost Cost Me My Job. / My Incompetence Just Cost Me A Job, I Feel Worthless (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by Blue001(m): 8:54am On Oct 21, 2021
Hi Nairalanders,

Last year I lost my Job as an AfterSales Analyst at a multinational company called AlFuttaim in the Peak of the Covid scare in Dubai, UAE. This is when it all began, Paying my rent became a problem, feeding became a problem. At that time the frustration in the country was everywhere due to the lock down and lot of Nigerians joined some illegal activisties in the UAE.

Unlike other nations Known to me, the desperation of Nigerians is quite on the high side so most delved into Yahoo-Yahoo. So it was so rampant and obvious in Dubai then and even now.
The difficulty was much and the lockdown was highly enforced, not giving room for any means of making ends meet.
At that time I had to return to Nigeria, I stayed with my sister’s husband because he was alone during the lockdown hoping to return back to the UAE when the opportunity rises again.
I had to start up a POS business with a 50k support from a family member, but due to the location of the business which is a developing environment, customers traffic was very low, sometimes I made 400 naira daily as profit though the ironic factor was that the closest ATM for cash refill was 600naira daily.
So the business couldn’t thrive. I had to start an analytic firm just to be employed but honestly so many factors I can’t explain here hinders infant industries in Nigeria.
Now in Dubai, Nigerians already have bad names in the communities and employers weren’t willing to considering Nigerians. Though I kept applying to different organizations in Nigeria and in Dubai like wise.
I really never understood the Nigerian market also, when I got some interviews but was turned down as a result of under employment. Three organizations made this clear to me during the interview. So at that time I had to wonder if being qualified for a job is now a curse.
I have had Nigerian HRs contacting me via my LinkedIn portfolio but never landed me any Job.

Now the highlight of the frustration is that, I just got a Job at Dubai with AWRostamani another multinational as a Senior Data Analyst in the internal Audit department, and I am to be paid 9000aed which is like 1.4million naira. Two days ago made it three weeks the HR confirmed the Job as mine instructing that I go to their company’s platform to update my details where she will process my e-employment letter & Visa which I did immediately.
But I never heard from them, I sent mails informing them that I had already created my profile but yet to see an employment letter, yet no response. So on Tuesday (a day before yesterday) I had to call them and this is when the HR told me they are having difficulties processing my employment visa since I am a Nigerian and there is an on going ban on visa processes on Nigerians (aside Tourist Visas). I called some of my friends Nigerians and non-Nigerians living in Dubai to ask if they know any possible way I could go through to get this sorted out, they said it’s impossible because they are very much aware about the Nigeria situation in Dubai.

I dint know when tears began running down my eyes and my mum crying with me because she knows how bad I need a change.

Please Nairalanders, I am a data Analyst with over 5 years experience. Can you please help me with an opportunity or if you know a place I could find an opportunity.

http://linkedin.com/in/solomon-adejoh-5a1991a7

118 Likes 9 Shares

Re: How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by MMempire(m): 10:48am On Oct 21, 2021
It is well bro!

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:15am On Oct 21, 2021
Bros this same thing that happened to you is exactly the same thing that happened to me last year. I also lost a high paying job cause of living in this shithole zoo of a country. Try and negotiate with them if you can work remotely.

144 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by JOACHINpedro: 11:47am On Oct 21, 2021
There should be a click button on every computer that reads "SSYNGNM"
I believe it'll save many from the bad lucks that come with being a 9jerian.
Sorry bro

SSYNGNM= Swear Say You No Get Nigeria Mentality

72 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by Authoreety: 11:49am On Oct 21, 2021
Na so
Re: How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by RichThugg: 11:49am On Oct 21, 2021
Same way being a Nigerian cost me a relationship that almost changed my life back then in 2019...

But I’m no longer concerned about that, because i’ve come to realize that we Nigerians are bad as it may seem, but there are countries far worse than we are. .

My only problem with Nigeria right now is the stupid tribalism amongst us while we are being rejected internationally by some moda-fxxckers whom our country is far richer than lipsrsealed

150 Likes 9 Shares

Re: How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by EjaikreTheViper(f): 11:50am On Oct 21, 2021
That's what you may see when you are a citizen of a country with failed government

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by taiwofawole: 11:50am On Oct 21, 2021
Wow
Re: How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by Flier: 11:51am On Oct 21, 2021
Its really sad Nigerians are only loved on Youtube
Reading about Nigeria on youtube will give you a goosebump but apart from that,its a very terrible country
Though i prefer to be born a Nigeria if i should come back to the world another time

21 Likes

Re: How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by Charmingrascal(m): 11:52am On Oct 21, 2021
The bad image of Nigerians all over the world is caused by the Nigerian people and the government.

With your experience I believe there are places in Nigeria where your expertise will be needed.

Check online.
Where do reside?

Check jobberman, check myjobmag, there are always genuine posting for data analysts vacancies.
I believe by the time you apply to two or three places you will land a job, considering your experience.

It will be easier if you reside in Lagos or Abuja.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by Akwamkpuruamu: 11:52am On Oct 21, 2021
When we tell people that the easiest way to gain sanity and recognition is to leave the zoo but many think it's lack of patriotism.

I owe my little daughter the debt of taking her out from here by all legal means I can

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by DoggoneDogg: 11:52am On Oct 21, 2021
Hmmm
Re: How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by candidbabe(f): 11:53am On Oct 21, 2021
@op Pele

1 Like

Re: How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by tarantino1: 11:53am On Oct 21, 2021
Has happened to me too.

Was having a good discussion about an opportunity which led to "Where are you from?"

Said Nigeria and was ghosted grin.
This shit has happened twice

7 Likes

Re: How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by wallay77(m): 11:53am On Oct 21, 2021
EWEH
Re: How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by house10s: 11:53am On Oct 21, 2021
damn, these country is getting colder

5 Likes

Re: How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by BluntCrazeMan: 11:53am On Oct 21, 2021
Kpelle.
E go better soon

1 Like

Re: How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by Born2conquer: 11:53am On Oct 21, 2021
Lmao, a foreign beautiful lady messaged me on Instagram last week after I commented on a dating page.

The lady sent a HI message and I replied HEY.

She replied “Never mind”, I asked her “why”
She responded “Are you a Nigerian”, I replied “yes a Proud NIGERIAN”.

I was expecting a response until her handle changed to “instgram user”, she blocked me already grin grin grin

73 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by CSTR2: 11:54am On Oct 21, 2021
Some idiots travel to Dubai and constitute nuisance.

What is your aim in life?

8 Likes

Re: How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by tyup(m): 11:54am On Oct 21, 2021
If only Buhari and the fellow 36 governors of the federation could hear Nigerians cry and enact a law stating any Yahoo boy caught should be shot dead on spot or some of em summarily conscripted into the Army and sent to the war front, maybe things can start changing for the better amongst our Youth.

Oh I so miss Gen Sani Abacha, Allah rest his soul.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by Tetrahedron: 11:54am On Oct 21, 2021
Yahoo-yahoo boys
Hushpuppy
Invictus Obi
Abba Kyari(Nig police inclusive)
All these are the factors responsible for how low the international community has rated us!
So sad

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by tillaman(m): 11:54am On Oct 21, 2021
shocked
Sadly I faced the same thing in Abu Dhabi back then, they gladly chose a Bengali over me when it was glaring that the dude doesn’t speak fluent English and he can’t even operate a computer but I just decided to shake body and come back to Naija
Go hard or go home level but I thank God thus far
Those shouting yahoo boys clearly don’t know what’s up
Indians,Pakistanis and some other nationales are the biggest fraud in the uae
The thing with Nigerians are those transporting alcohol from one emirate to another driving unregistered cars with stolen number plates
Those orosco boys and girls and those boys forming Vikings and Aro bagger in The Uae
They even go as far as obtaining their fellow Nigerians broad daylight, they once robbed our flat in sharjah back then when I was working with Du my saving grace was Amaka that told me she misses me that I should come around, see blood everywhere as a result of series of injuries my flat mates sustained from their Axes based on say they follow them drag unto same tribe level
I’m not being tribalistic but they know themselves

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by Pepperoniq(m): 11:55am On Oct 21, 2021
Nna it's more of a curse than a blessing being a Nigerian and it's getting worse everyday. Just pray and ask God for your Blessing.... I think God have other plans for u.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by BruncleZuma: 11:55am On Oct 21, 2021
grin grin grin grin

We have developed a thick skin to that...once you don pass everything nah wetin dey always rear eem head...Country of Origin.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by CaptainStephen(m): 11:55am On Oct 21, 2021
sorry brother, bigger things are coming.

2 Likes

Re: How Being A Nigerian Cost Me A Foreign Job by Nobody: 11:55am On Oct 21, 2021
So Sad. It's the sitution we all find ourselves.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Shell Nigeria Madness / Note To Those Working In Lagos. / Recruitment At U- Connect Ng

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.