Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,556 members, 7,816,344 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:54 AM

My Dog Is Slowly Crashing; I Don't Know What To Do - Pets (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / My Dog Is Slowly Crashing; I Don't Know What To Do (3226 Views)

What Breed Of Dog Is This Dog? (Photos) / My Dog Kept Barking At Me Don't Know Until I Goggled This / Help! See The Funny State Of My Dog's Ear (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Dog Is Slowly Crashing; I Don't Know What To Do by jidobaba(m): 5:00pm On Jun 02, 2023
Seun:
Hello..
Boss.
Had to login to comment. Lost my boy(3yr old Gsd) in somewhat similar circumstances just over 2 months ago and I am inconsolable. At the end he wouldn't move and diagnosis was an adrenal crisis. A withdrawal/side effect of the many drugs. The most beautiful dog and practically family. I'll just say that when you have to force feed an adult dog constantly, it's not good.
Much of an animal's perception of living is in the present. They have no real past-future recollections/goals. So, when they suffer debilitating illness it robs them of the enjoyment of life. Thinking of it this way made it slightly easier for me to let go. I hope it helps you too.

2 Likes

Re: My Dog Is Slowly Crashing; I Don't Know What To Do by NaijaCover(m): 5:52pm On Jun 02, 2023
God Almighty Will help you out
Re: My Dog Is Slowly Crashing; I Don't Know What To Do by AmuRubber(m): 6:25pm On Jun 02, 2023
Samantha124:
Wow... Can I get an autograph? grin grin grin

I have no idea if Seun could help you with that.

Kindly mail your request to him.
Re: My Dog Is Slowly Crashing; I Don't Know What To Do by earthsync(f): 6:54pm On Jun 02, 2023
Rayban25:

So were you planning on not swallowing your pride before to save your dog undecided

Asin.. I no understand this seun o. I no know wetin pride dey find inside trying to save his dog
Re: My Dog Is Slowly Crashing; I Don't Know What To Do by Spanishmilf(m): 8:27am On Jun 03, 2023
SUPERPACK:
Looks more like Parvo virus. I might be wrong, but the symptoms are consistent with what happened to our dog. She did not survive it.
it’s an adult dog
Re: My Dog Is Slowly Crashing; I Don't Know What To Do by Spanishmilf(m): 8:28am On Jun 03, 2023
I think you are rich enough @seun to take your dog to a good vet clinic.

3 Likes

Re: My Dog Is Slowly Crashing; I Don't Know What To Do by Spanishmilf(m): 8:28am On Jun 03, 2023
Re: My Dog Is Slowly Crashing; I Don't Know What To Do by Unperturbedpota: 3:46pm On Jun 03, 2023
Seun

Hello ,how's the weekend going ? Pls what is the update on your boys health? Hope you got a good vet who is caring for him properly now ?

1 Like

Re: My Dog Is Slowly Crashing; I Don't Know What To Do by doggedfighter(f): 10:54pm On Jun 03, 2023
CodeTemplar:

Either you or your moderators appear to be hiding behind bots to frustrate good opinions against the subsidy removal. I can't count the number of times I have been banned in the last 4 days. The was two days ago after I opened a new thread suggesting why subsidy can stay on. This site is fast becoming a one-man BMC outfit.

Can't or can ?
Re: My Dog Is Slowly Crashing; I Don't Know What To Do by davillian(m): 12:56am On Jun 04, 2023
The dog is a strong dog if not it should have been dead in couple of days......
Why self medicate your dog ?
When you can take to your vet for checks and meds...
Re: My Dog Is Slowly Crashing; I Don't Know What To Do by FarmTech(m): 6:34pm On Jun 04, 2023
Unperturbedpota:

Relax seun your boy will be fine . Firstly change vet . That vet sounds like a quack. Secondly parvo hadly kills adult dogs except when previously compromised health wise with a pre-existing disease .

Please rush his to a better vet now who would keep him over night on drip antibiotics and much needed vitamins

Most importantly love him, stay by his side and let him feel your love he will will himself to get better .

Also pls stop all medications until you get a second vet to look at him

I have dogs myself so I can relate to your anxiety. I can't imagine what I would do in your situation. My female bull mastiff has been ill for just 2 days and I have been so pensive

Lastly it's not a function of swallowing pride. There is nothing wrong in asking for advise for your boy, you are doing well so far ... He will be fine.
Pls keep me.posted.
Good advice. Next time when your dog stops feeding, start drip treatment immediately.
Re: My Dog Is Slowly Crashing; I Don't Know What To Do by Klass99(f): 7:54am On Jun 05, 2023
Re: My Dog Is Slowly Crashing; I Don't Know What To Do by emmayayodeji(m): 3:01pm On Jun 05, 2023
You can afford to take him to the best vet
And board him there
Damn

E say “I have swallowed my pride”
Make I no talk before them ban me
Re: My Dog Is Slowly Crashing; I Don't Know What To Do by Brooke60(f): 3:08pm On Jun 05, 2023
Seun:
Hello Everyone,

About 3 years ago I rescued a GSD whose owners didn't want anymore. Perfectly healthy afaik but had become aggressive to their main dog. A few months ago he suddenly stopped eating his food. He ate with great reluctance. He would not eat more than a can of canned food. Somedays he would eat 2 and then vomit. This went on for weeks as he lost weight. He became really skinny.

Somewhere along the line I tried antibiotics and discovered that after taking doxycycline he ate normally. So I was trying to build up his weight again. But whenever I would stop the antibiotic, he would vomit the next meal. After some time, he started limping on a leg that he had been scraping when he went to hide under my car. It was bleeding infected, so more antibiotics. The limping stopped.

But then, he started getting weaker and weaker. Vomiting his food constantly. Struggling to stand. Walking like an elderly dog. He started rejecting foods he liked before. And what he accepted and ate would end up scattered all over the house at night. He got skinnier and skinnier.

So I told a vet in my area about everything. The vet noticed he had developed jaundice and jumped to the conclusion it was caused by antibiotics. He also queried the protein level of what we were feeding him saying that the dog's pee is too yellow. He prescribed augmentin, which is an antibiotic, livoline, vitamins, etc. The dog kept vomiting yellow liquid with brown particles everyday and not eating. I asked the vet for something to prevent vomiting. The vomiting stopped but one day he got a lot of chicken and vomited it mostly undigested. His poop which was normal initially became black and nasty. His vomit stinks very uniquely.

The problem is that the dog is getting weaker and worse. He vehemently rejects anything except chicken which is pure protein. I've tried force feeding him a couple of times with a syringe (pap, glucose) but it's exhausting cos he's struggling the whole time and it's messy and slow. Since yesterday he doesn't seem to get up anymore. He lies on his side and scoots to a new position after wetting himself. If I don't bring water to him and encourage him to drink he won't drink. He doesn't raise his head anymore when he is approached.

I don't know what to do anymore but I can't let the dog die or be permanently unable to function. I don't want to end up having to pay the vet to euthanize the dog after paying him to help the the same dog. I know he needs to be forced to eat just to remain alive without improvement. I did my best today but there have been days when I barely fed him. Feeding a dog pap with a syringe is hard. The vet doctor says he thinks recovery will take a long time but he was supposed to improve a little bit after the medications and I have seen no improvement whatsoever.

I have decided to swallow my pride and ask anyone who has an idea of what to do to tell me. If you've experienced challenge & prevailed.

Oh Sorry about this Seun, I remmber Sloane too. I think you shouod still use the Vet.
Re: My Dog Is Slowly Crashing; I Don't Know What To Do by Ajibade123(m): 6:31pm On Jun 07, 2023
CodeTemplar:
You elevated the dog above chickens and feed it chicken? They are all meat and should be treated as such. Maybe the former owner used it for yahoo.
I laughed so hard reading this
Yahoo bi to bawo
Re: My Dog Is Slowly Crashing; I Don't Know What To Do by HardMirror(m): 7:39am On Jun 08, 2023
Seun:
Hello Everyone,.

I have decided to swallow my pride and ask anyone who has an idea of what to do to tell me. If you've experienced challenge & prevailed.

You did not include the vet's diagnosis.

Gastric torsion This is a life-threatening condition where a dog's stomach fills with gas and may rotate, causing severe pain, bloating, vomiting, and potentially affecting blood circulation to the limbs, leading to limping.
Maybe not. Your vet is still in the best position to advice you.

Death is inevitable sometimes it comes early. Could be time to let go.
Re: My Dog Is Slowly Crashing; I Don't Know What To Do by HardMirror(m): 7:40am On Jun 08, 2023
Brooke60:

Oh Sorry about this Seun, I remmber Sloane too. I think you shouod still use the Vet.
did sloane die?
Re: My Dog Is Slowly Crashing; I Don't Know What To Do by 1Sharon(f): 7:52am On Jun 08, 2023
Seun:

She knows what to do.

1 Like

Re: My Dog Is Slowly Crashing; I Don't Know What To Do by HardMirror(m): 7:58am On Jun 08, 2023
1Sharon:

She knows what to do.
that dog is not safe for consumption.
Re: My Dog Is Slowly Crashing; I Don't Know What To Do by Brooke60(f): 2:49pm On Jun 08, 2023
HardMirror:
did sloane die?
Yes, years ago though
Re: My Dog Is Slowly Crashing; I Don't Know What To Do by Anny69: 11:23pm On Jun 08, 2023
Anny69:
Mr Seun, why can't I make a comment on Romance section?

sad Mr Seun I'm still waiting for your response.
I'm still waiting. sad Would you answer if I asked you on Twitter?
Re: My Dog Is Slowly Crashing; I Don't Know What To Do by Exceed15: 7:23am On Jun 10, 2023
This is one of the reasons I want to switch to local dog because I like gallant, healthy dog both as pet and security. I saw a dog with a hunter when I visited somewhere in North Central. The dog is huge( non castrated) ,tall with bold face. I approached him and discuss about the dog history. The dog had a crossed a female still belonging to him . I saw the female dog and is equally tall& long in length. I couldn't believe my eyes. I booked for a 2 male puppies after delivery.He feeds them with anything: garri&soup, concoction rice, yam, etc. I hope to get one and train him to my taste.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Any Lion For Sale Pls? / 2yrs Female Neapolitan Mastiff For Sale!!! / New Slant Back Gsd Pups (parents Pix Included)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.