Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,807 members, 7,817,340 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:34 AM

My Dog Is Slowly Crashing; I Don't Know What To Do - Pets (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / My Dog Is Slowly Crashing; I Don't Know What To Do (3230 Views)

What Breed Of Dog Is This Dog? (Photos) / My Dog Kept Barking At Me Don't Know Until I Goggled This / Help! See The Funny State Of My Dog's Ear (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Dog Is Slowly Crashing; I Don't Know What To Do by Seun(m): 12:39pm On Jun 30, 2023
I want to thank everyone who responded to this thread. I benefitted from your responses. Shadow died at night on the 6th of June.

During the night of the day I wrote this thread (Friday 2nd), the dog summoned the will power to get up and relieve himself. But that was the last time he ever walked. He had developed the most massive testicle infection that you could imagine. His legs were kind of dried up and limp. The hind legs were kind of black. Vet suggested atrophy but with the orchitis I figured it was some sort of infection. But his core was still strong

On Sunday 4th, he started making efforts to get up to relieve himself. Heartbreaking efforts. I could only clean him after he pissed/shit on himself. He was so weak that he couldn't bark but he made the most heartbreaking sounds. I broke. I asked my vet if he had an assistant who could help me take the dog to a clinic. He said no, that I should get a taxi. A dog that was messy. I did my ugly crying. 2nd time over a dog.

I resolved I'll just continue to take care of him with what I knew. He had stopped eating chicken so on Monday I just force fed him custard and gave him the same medications. Changed from vet-prescribed amoxicillin which clearly wasn't working. (Btw amoxicillin is trash.)

But by Monday the 5th, he started aggressively resisting my efforts to feed & pill him. He clenched his teeth so tight. I figured I would respect his decision. If he was going to die, I didn't need to make his last moments a struggle. I would give him peace. I started researching how I could take him out myself without causing any pain. I also wasn't going to let him go out struggling and fighting the vet and me the way Sloane went out.

So on Wednesday the 6th all I did was clean him up. There was food/water but he didn't eat/drink and I didn't force him. I noticed he started shivering & had some nasal discharge. I guessed that the infection was spreading. All I could do was pet him and apologize. I was already in bed that night when he started to breath heavily, then stopped. Then I heard farting sounds. When I woke up the next morning, he was gone.

If I ever have a dog again, it would be a tiny Papillon dog, and I will form a relationship with a vet clinic which has the capacity to conduct tests and base their treatments on the results of those tests. I'll also ensure he gets vaccinated for parvo & distemper and everything else. There's a part of me that allowed him to go because he was too big to handle alone and aggressive to my helper. He still bit him on Saturday the 3rd. πŸ˜†

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Dog Is Slowly Crashing; I Don't Know What To Do by CodeTemplar: 12:53pm On Jun 30, 2023
Seun:
I want to thank everyone who responded to this thread. I benefitted from your responses. Shadow died at night on the 6th of June.

During the night of the day I wrote this thread (Friday 2nd), the dog summoned the will power to get up and relieve himself. But that was the last time he ever walked. He had developed the most massive testicle infection that you could imagine. His legs were kind of dried up and limp. The hind legs were kind of black. Vet suggested atrophy but with the orchitis I figured it was some sort of infection. But his core was still strong

On Sunday 4th, he started making efforts to get up to relieve himself. Heartbreaking efforts. I could only clean him after he pissed/shit on himself. He was so weak that he couldn't bark but he made the most heartbreaking sounds. I broke. I asked my vet if he had an assistant who could help me take the dog to a clinic. He said no, that I should get a taxi. A dog that was messy. I did my ugly crying. 2nd time over a dog.

I resolved I'll just continue to take care of him with what I knew. He had stopped eating chicken so on Monday I just force fed him custard and gave him the same medications. Changed from vet-prescribed amoxicillin which clearly wasn't working. (Btw amoxicillin is trash.)

But by Monday the 5th, he started aggressively resisting my efforts to feed & pill him. He clenched his teeth so tight. I figured I would respect his decision. If he was going to die, I didn't need to make his last moments a struggle. I would give him peace. I started researching how I could take him out myself without causing any pain. I also wasn't going to let him go out struggling and fighting the vet and me the way Sloane went out.

So on Wednesday the 6th all I did was clean him up. There was food/water but he didn't eat/drink and I didn't force him. I noticed he started shivering & had some nasal discharge. I guessed that the infection was spreading. All I could do was pet him and apologize. I was already in bed that night when he started to breath heavily, then stopped. Then I heard farting sounds. When I woke up the next morning, he was gone.

If I ever have a dog again, it would be a tiny Papillon dog, and I will form a relationship with a vet clinic which has the capacity to conduct tests and base their treatments on the results of those tests. I'll also ensure he gets vaccinated for parvo & distemper and everything else. There's a part of me that allowed him to go because he was too big to handle alone and aggressive to my helper. He still bit him on Saturday the 3rd. πŸ˜†
kpele, Mr seun.
Re: My Dog Is Slowly Crashing; I Don't Know What To Do by Foodqueen(f): 1:34pm On Jun 30, 2023
Sorry, seun.

I thought u have many dog.
Re: My Dog Is Slowly Crashing; I Don't Know What To Do by VictorIfe(m): 3:06pm On Jun 30, 2023
take heart sir β™₯️rip shadow 😒
Re: My Dog Is Slowly Crashing; I Don't Know What To Do by Johnnoo(m): 2:27pm On Jul 02, 2023
I feel you pain @Seun. Take heart Bro.
Re: My Dog Is Slowly Crashing; I Don't Know What To Do by JOACHINpedro: 5:15pm On Jul 02, 2023
Take heart Seun.
I still maintain you don't eat it like someone opined
Re: My Dog Is Slowly Crashing; I Don't Know What To Do by FarmTech(m): 11:04pm On Jul 03, 2023
Seun:

Men sorry for your loss. I understand such pain too. In case of next time, try tube feeding the dog. It is far better than mouth feeding. Less stressful too. You can do it yourself if you watch some youtube videos.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2yrs Female Neapolitan Mastiff For Sale!!! / New Slant Back Gsd Pups (parents Pix Included) / Pure Female Adult German Shepherd Dog (GSD) For Sale!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.