Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,957 members, 7,828,378 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:57 AM

I Was Sent Out Of The Church Just Because I Was Wearing An Earring - Religion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Was Sent Out Of The Church Just Because I Was Wearing An Earring (43929 Views)

Bridal Train Sent Out By A Pastor Over Indecent Dressing During Wedding In Edo / Man Sent Out Of Palm Sunday Mass In Delta State / Man Sent Out Of Lagos Church For Wearing This (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Was Sent Out Of The Church Just Because I Was Wearing An Earring by Greatestkidb: 10:34pm On Jun 07, 2023
Physical appearance is important to God in that it reveals the glory of His creative abilities. So we should appreciate the beauty God has given us as His most complex and amazing creation. In ways we cannot understand, we reflect His own beauty. God places some value on appearances; if He did not, we would all look the same. It is not a wrong thing for us to notice and appreciate physical appearance as well.

But it should be remembered that God judges our hearts, not our physical appearance (1 Samuel 16:7). It is the inner man that is an even greater creation. We have souls that will never be destroyed, that live on forever in heaven or hell. Our hearts, too, are capable of so many thoughts and feelings, reflections of the complexities of God. We should not fall into the trap of believing that our looks are to be a source of pride or envy. Our true beauty should come from inside, not from the fleshly beauty that the world judges us on. In 1 Peter 3:3-5, Peter tells wives that their “beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful.”

Our outward appearance should not be our focus. If the reason we try to be the perfect weight, wear the best clothes, have facial treatments, etc., is to impress other people, then our physical appearance has become a matter of pride. We should be humbly aware of our appearance rather than acting to conform to the world’s standards. Matthew 23:12 says, "For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted." And James 4:6 says, "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."

We must watch out for anything that draws us away from God, including the too-often extreme emphasis the world places on appearances. God does not want us to love the world or anything in it (1 John 2:15), and we are not to think as the world does (Romans 12:2). God has shown us His own amazing power and beauty and love in an incredibly diverse creation. We should be humble, not committing idolatry in worshiping the creation rather than the Creator (Colossians 3:5).
Re: I Was Sent Out Of The Church Just Because I Was Wearing An Earring by Greatestkidb: 10:35pm On Jun 07, 2023
First, remember this: you are an amazing creation who was made by the Creator of the universe, and every time you wake up in the morning, you are a testimony to the creativity of our God. Psalm 139:13 tells us how God wove you in your mother's womb. Nothing man can ever create now or in times past can even come close to God's creations. So in that sense, yes, you should care about your physical appearance as far as nurturing and caring for the body that God has given you.

Which brings us to the second part: remember that God judges the inward heart, not the outward appearance. Your heart is where your true beauty lies. As amazing as the shell that contains all that makes you you is, it pales in comparison to the beauty of your inner self (1 Peter 3:3-5).

While it is important to stay physically healthy, your outward appearance should not be the sole focus of your attention and energy. So how do you keep the focus off of your outward appearance? That is really a matter of constantly checking your heart attitude.

One question to ask yourself might be, "Am I dressing a certain way or trying to get to a certain weight in order to impress others?" If so, then it is time to re-evaluate your motives. Matthew 23:12 says, "For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted." (Also see James 4:6.) Your value is not determined by what you look like externally; this is a lie the world will constantly try to feed you. When you begin to think this way, recognize it for what it is: a lie (Romans 12:2).

Then what are we supposed to do? We shouldn't let ourselves go completely because that's unhealthy. But we shouldn't focus on the way we look all the time because then it becomes a point of pride or even shame. How do we find the balance between the inside and the outside?

Do take care of yourself physically, but guard your heart against letting emphasis on your outward appearance become more important than growing in your relationship with God. Remember, you are a marvelous, beautiful child of God, and if you are a child of God, why would you need to impress anyone else but Him?
Re: I Was Sent Out Of The Church Just Because I Was Wearing An Earring by Greatestkidb: 10:37pm On Jun 07, 2023
I’m sure God doesn’t want us to neglect the way we look or pretend that our physical appearance doesn’t matter—because it does. Our outer appearance often reflects what we’re like on the inside; for example, a slovenly, unkempt person is usually an undisciplined person. The writer of Song of Songs compared his beloved’s beauty to “a lily among thorns” (Song of Songs 2:2).

But the Bible says that being overly concerned with our physical appearance is wrong for at least two reasons. First, it’s wrong because its sole motive is to call attention to ourselves. Instead of being concerned about others and their needs, we become absorbed only with ourselves and what others think about us. (Incidentally, men can be just as guilty of this as women!)

It’s wrong also because it ignores what’s really important in God’s eyes—and that is our inner character. Of what use is outward beauty (which in time will fade away), if we lack inner goodness? The Bible says, “Your beauty should not come from outward adornment. … Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight” (1 Peter 3:3-4).

Pray for your cousin, that she will come to see her need for the inner beauty that God alone can give her. And pray, too, that you will be an example to her of Christ’s love and goodness
Re: I Was Sent Out Of The Church Just Because I Was Wearing An Earring by Kobojunkie: 10:38pm On Jun 07, 2023
Greatestkidb:
■ Have you go through those texts?
We shouldn't judge the outside of a man?
What will you say about this bible verses:
Matthew 7:16-20
Luke 6:43-45
Matthew 5:16
Matthew 12:33-37
John 15:8
James 2:17-18
Absolutely none of those verses tell you to judge a man from the outside appearances though. If you doubt it, let us check them each in context, shall we? undecided
Re: I Was Sent Out Of The Church Just Because I Was Wearing An Earring by Greatestkidb: 10:40pm On Jun 07, 2023
Just take your time to read everything. I can not post everything here
Re: I Was Sent Out Of The Church Just Because I Was Wearing An Earring by Greatestkidb: 10:41pm On Jun 07, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Absolutely none of those verses tell you to judge a man from the outside appearances though. If you doubt it, let us check them each in context, shall we? undecided
Don't misquote those verses bro!
Re: I Was Sent Out Of The Church Just Because I Was Wearing An Earring by Kobojunkie: 10:41pm On Jun 07, 2023
Greatestkidb:
■ I’m sure God doesn’t want us to neglect the way we look or pretend that our physical appearance doesn’t matter—because it does. Our outer appearance often reflects what we’re like on the inside; for example, a slovenly, unkempt person is usually an undisciplined person. The writer of Song of Songs compared his beloved’s beauty to “a lily among thorns” (Song of Songs 2:2). But the Bible says that being overly concerned with our physical appearance is wrong for at least two reasons. First, it’s wrong because its sole motive is to call attention to ourselves. Instead of being concerned about others and their needs, we become absorbed only with ourselves and what others think about us. (Incidentally, men can be just as guilty of this as women!)
■ It’s wrong also because it ignores what’s really important in God’s eyes—and that is our inner character. Of what use is outward beauty (which in time will fade away), if we lack inner goodness? The Bible says, “Your beauty should not come from outward adornment. … Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight” (1 Peter 3:3-4). Pray for your cousin, that she will come to see her need for the inner beauty that God alone can give her. And pray, too, that you will be an example to her of Christ’s love and goodness
When Jesus Christ hung on the cross, do you know he was stripped naked, as in stark naked? If God cared so much about appearance, He would have clothed Jesus Christ immediately but He didn't. Why? Because God, who created man naked and in all his glory, does not care about your outward appearance. You continuing to insist that God does what God said does not mean you think yourself wiser than God. Is that the case? undecided

2. Jesus Christ said you should focus on clearing your inside and not your outside. God said He judges the heart of man and not teh outside actions as such. Why do you continue to insist that God is focused on the outside and not the inside as He says? undecided
Re: I Was Sent Out Of The Church Just Because I Was Wearing An Earring by Kobojunkie: 10:42pm On Jun 07, 2023
Greatestkidb:
■ Don't misquote those verses bro!
Which one of them do you accuse me of misquoting, please? undecided
Re: I Was Sent Out Of The Church Just Because I Was Wearing An Earring by TruthinAction: 11:28pm On Jun 07, 2023
Kooldon:
Every Association has a constitution to be followed by members. Same is applicable to a Church's Doctrine.
Either you abide or you seek your salvation else where.

The number of likes on this comment reveals those that are still held in the bondage of religion.

Jesus is the way and not church constitution.
Re: I Was Sent Out Of The Church Just Because I Was Wearing An Earring by Merry100: 9:23pm On Jun 13, 2023
Cloudflare:

Referring to your post on Hilda Baci and the pastor who spoke about her olosho dressing.

It's obvious you know and quote so many scriptures but lack understanding. E be like say na deeper life or chosen dey born you. Madam, we all know deep down inside you, you want to explore and chop life and probably bang around. Of course you're very free to do so! Stop hiding behind Christianity quoting Bible up and down to justify the fact you want to hoe around. Do it proudly and receive the consequences hereafter.
You have a serious problem. How is wearing earring related to wanting to bang around?
Re: I Was Sent Out Of The Church Just Because I Was Wearing An Earring by Merry100: 9:31pm On Jun 13, 2023
agrowell:

Leave their church for them and go to where earrings is allowed, as simple as that, but be aware that you can't choose your judgement.
Thanks
Everybody will definitely stand before God and be judged. I will not be judged by your pastor's standards. There is no Bible verse that states that wearing earring is a sin.
Re: I Was Sent Out Of The Church Just Because I Was Wearing An Earring by Merry100: 11:37am On Jun 16, 2023
Please sign this petition

https://www.change.org/p/stop-the-maltreatment-of-left-handed-people-in-nigeria

It is a petition to stop the maltreatment of left-handed people in Nigeria

Left-handed people are facing maltreatment in the society due to societal beliefs and misconceptions. I recently shared my experience on nairaland. My bf's mum slapped me because I used my left-hand to give her something.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Rev Esther Ajayi Praises MC Oluomo, Leads Him To Greet Obasanjo, Ooni And Others / Breaking News : No More Trousers For Redeemed Ladies, Adeboye Orders / Pictures Of Christmas Day Bomb Blast In Catholic Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.