Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,722 members, 7,809,750 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:13 PM

Always Request For The Return Of Your Passport - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Always Request For The Return Of Your Passport (3761 Views)

Its Actually Not A Free Lunch To Be A Nigerian Citizen......value Your Passport! / If You See This In Your Passport What Will You Do ? ( Pic ) / Having Problem Resizing Your Passport Photos For DV Visa Lottery? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Always Request For The Return Of Your Passport by Vicjustice: 5:09pm On Sep 30, 2011
Courtesy of Babefishing dating community, the ideal free Nigerian dating site. Click www.babefishing.com now!
I thought i should create this thread to advise visa applicants of their privileges (or Rights if you like) observing that a lot of Nigerians are finding themselves in frustration or handicap situations due to the unavailability of their versatile Passports/Travel Documents.
Yes, a lot of people are not aware of the fact that their passports are not supposed to be held by any embassy for a lengthy period of time. Normally, you are required to present your original passport of which the embassy is supposed to make a photo-copy and return the original to you. If however you leave your passport with the embassy, they would not be blamed because, it is up to you to request for your passport or leave it in their care: and on no ground would the embassy be responsible for any misfortune or handicap that you suffer due to the absence of your travel document. What the embassy required is an officially made copy of your passport, but they would gladly accept your original passport for as long as it takes if you fail to request for its return.
Next time, request for your passport, and they will freely give it to you, that does not at all affect your application: they will call for your passport when the visa is ready to be issued into it. Easy as that.
Re: Always Request For The Return Of Your Passport by OmoTier1(m): 5:57pm On Sep 30, 2011
Can you do us a little favour by being specific as to which countries this is applicable to?

I know very well that the UK in Law can hold unto your documents (including passport) for 'a reasonable time' of upto 90days(3months) and when those documents (including passports) are in thier custody, they are obliged to 'keep safe' and when missing, the HO are liable to paying the associated cost, HOWEVER this is usually after several court action threats - This I know first hand.

Again, the HO/UKBA always do indicate that should you require your passport urgently, you may request for it to be returned whilst they process your application and return same for them to put the signage should your application be successful. Please be warned, there have been cases where case workers have refused applicants claiming thier passport/travel document wasn't available to enable them determine the nationality status of the applicant - again some of those cases were reviewed and the appropriate visas issued.
Re: Always Request For The Return Of Your Passport by Vicjustice: 6:15pm On Sep 30, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

Can you do us a little favour by being specific as to which countries this is applicable to?

I know very well that the UK in Law can hold unto your documents (including passport) for 'a reasonable time' of upto 90days(3months) and when those documents (including passports) are in thier custody, they are obliged to 'keep safe' and when missing, the HO are liable to paying the associated cost, HOWEVER this is usually after several court action threats - This I know first hand.

Again, the HO/UKBA always do indicate that should you require your passport urgently, you may request for it to be returned whilst they process your application and return same for them to put the signage should your application be successful. Please be warned, there have been cases where case workers have refused applicants claiming thier passport/travel document wasn't available to enable them determine the nationality status of the applicant - again some of those cases were reviewed and the appropriate visas issued.

The only form of Identity some people have is their passport; now, does it really make sense for an embassy to deny any person his/her only means of identification for (assuming) 2 years just because the person has applied for a settlement visa with them? Comon sense would provide the answer to that?
Have you ever heard of, or seen any one who had requested for his/her passport and his request turned down?
Well, it applies to every embassy, every embassy is oblige to return a passport at the owner's request, if the decision period is lengthy, and on no ground would an embassy hold on to a requested passport except in certain circumstances when the passport is considered an evidence or exhibit usually due to violation of law; and in such a case, the embassy has every rights to be in custody of the violating passport for investigation or legal proceedings.
But as for a genuine passport of a genuine someone, the Passport would be return without any issue, and this rule applies to every embassy and every institution. You really do think these people do not know that you need your passport for other matters, or you think these authority are not aware of the inconveniences that one can suffer due to the absence of his/her passport?
Re: Always Request For The Return Of Your Passport by New9jabeb: 7:06pm On Sep 30, 2011
this says otherwise thou for UK thou unless its dated

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/countries/nigeria/applying/vac/?langname=UK%20English

and quote
We will retain your passport until we have made a decision on your visa application. You should remember this when you make your travel arrangements, particularly if you plan to visit other countries before going to the UK.

If you need to collect your passport before a visa decision has been made, your visa application will be withdrawn. Please note that the visa fee is non-refundable, and if you would like to reapply for a visa you will need to lodge another application, submit your biometric data, and pay the visa fee once again.

was actually happy that i can get my passport back and use it whilst they are taking their sweet dear time. knew could retrieve the passport if i needed it. only saw that whilst trying to get the link guess had over looked the application would be withdrawn.:-(
Re: Always Request For The Return Of Your Passport by Vicjustice: 9:49pm On Sep 30, 2011
^^^This information is idealy in regard to a regular visa application that usually takes a couple of weeks or so to reach decision, it doesn't necessary represent the situation of such "lengthy" visa application as i explained.
Vicjustice:

. . .Yes, a lot of people are not aware of the fact that their passports are not supposed to be held by any embassy for a lengthy period of time. . .

Vicjustice:

The only form of Identity some people have is their passport; now, does it really make sense for an embassy to deny any person his/her only means of identification for (assuming) 2 years just because the person has applied for a settlement visa with them? Comon sense would provide the answer to that?
   Have you ever heard of, or seen any one who had requested for his/her passport and his request turned down?
   Well, it applies to every embassy, every embassy is oblige to return a passport at the owner's request, if the decision period is lengthy, and on no ground would an embassy hold on to a requested passport except in certain circumstances when the passport is considered an evidence or exhibit usually due to violation of law; and in such a case, the embassy has every rights to be in custody of the violating passport for investigation or legal proceedings.
   But as for a genuine passport of a genuine someone, the Passport would be return without any issue, and this rule applies to every embassy and every institution. You really do think these people do not know that you need your passport for other matters, or you think these authority are not aware of the inconveniences that one can suffer due to the absence of his/her passport?
Re: Always Request For The Return Of Your Passport by damola1: 11:18pm On Sep 30, 2011
Vicjustice:

^^^This information is idealy in regard to a regular visa application that usually takes a couple of weeks or so to reach decision, it doesn't necessary represent the situation of such "lengthy" visa application as i explained.

I can't see anywhere there, where it's written relative to time. or a ' time ' clause as it's. I think it'll help if you could easily back up your claim with a written fact of time relativity, or maybe highlight a case of where this has happened.

But from what has been written on UKBA website,, you'll have to cancel the application, and forfeit your fee.
Re: Always Request For The Return Of Your Passport by juzme: 8:18am On Oct 01, 2011
Embassies could hold your passport for any period of time as long as your application is not yet decided but it is up to you to make a formal request for your passport to be returned. Even Schengen visiting visa that turn out to be lengthy, you can always make a formal request for your passport to be returned.
For those applying for residency in UK through HO, it may sometimes be difficult to get your passport back and this usually when they question your application and to make it easier for removal, they will keep your passport.
Re: Always Request For The Return Of Your Passport by Vicjustice: 9:21am On Oct 01, 2011
juzme:

Embassies could hold your passport for any period of time as long as your application is not yet decided but it is up to you to make a formal request for your passport to be returned. Even Schengen visiting visa that turn out to be lengthy, you can always make a formal request for your passport to be returned.                                            
For those applying for residency in UK through HO, it may sometimes be difficult to get your passport back and this usually when they question your application and to make it easier for removal, they will keep your passport.
   Man, i'm yet to see any of your comments that can be frowned upon, keep it up.
Re: Always Request For The Return Of Your Passport by Vicjustice: 9:46am On Oct 01, 2011
damola1:

I can't see anywhere there, where it's written relative to time. or a ' time ' clause as it's. I think it'll help if you could easily back up your claim with a written fact of time relativity, or maybe highlight a case of where this has happened.

But from what has been written on UKBA website,, you'll have to cancel the application, and forfeit your fee.
Sometimes, these embassies like to do things to their conveniences and for this reason, they might not like to give away so much information regarding things like this especially when they know that there would be popular demands for Passport return. But i tell you, those who know me are my witnesses, i have requested for my passport in several occasions and it was returned each time, sometimes, it only costs me the return-post charges, in some occasions, i requested for my passport the same moment that i made my applications and i was asked to give them a little time to make copies of the important pages and the passport was returned to me instantly.
I will recommend that you request for your passport next time and encourage others to do so, and if the embassy would not comply, then come back and call me a liar.
Re: Always Request For The Return Of Your Passport by juzme: 7:29pm On Oct 01, 2011
Vicjustice:

Man, i'm yet to see any of your comments that can be frowned upon, keep it up.
Thanks man!
Re: Always Request For The Return Of Your Passport by iice(f): 3:32am On Oct 06, 2011
Maybe they are doing background checks grin
Re: Always Request For The Return Of Your Passport by saintsola(m): 8:58am On Dec 17, 2014
UK embassy has retained my international passport over Identity confirmation with Nigerian immigration. Please how long does it take UK embassy to complete their findings and return my international passport to Nigerian immigration for collection.

(1) (Reply)

Before You Kill Peace Mass Transit, Please Hear From Them / Please Help Me Decide!! / Is It Only Nigeria That Does Not Have 24/7 Electricity In The World?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.