Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,316 members, 7,829,760 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:25 AM

Mpg Challenge Nigeria - Autos (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Mpg Challenge Nigeria (12104 Views)

Low Mpg On Camry 2007 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mpg Challenge Nigeria by Manuella4ace: 5:42am On Jul 22, 2023
Kewtt:

I just stumbled upon it following this Agbado economy commencement

How many km are you at now and at what level is your fuel guage at?
Re: Mpg Challenge Nigeria by Kewtt: 5:45am On Jul 22, 2023
Manuella4ace:

How many km are you at now and at what level is your fuel guage at?
I have refilled. 444.5 with 49 litres. All city driving. I will be embarking on a journey soon to see it's highway performance
Re: Mpg Challenge Nigeria by Manuella4ace: 5:47am On Jul 22, 2023
Kewtt:

I have refilled. 444.5 with 49 litres. All city driving. I will be embarking on a journey soon to see it's highway performance

That is to say your fuel guage wasn't reading correctly?

Impressive results

1 Like

Re: Mpg Challenge Nigeria by Kewtt: 5:49am On Jul 22, 2023
Manuella4ace:

That is to say your fuel guage wasn't reading correctly?

Impressive results
It was stuck. Results are a bit off by a few MPG
Re: Mpg Challenge Nigeria by Manuella4ace: 6:01am On Jul 22, 2023
Kewtt:

Okay
Re: Mpg Challenge Nigeria by yak(m): 12:23pm On Jul 22, 2023
Kewtt:

Hoping to get one of those soon.
What's your experience?
Is there anything I need to handle differently?
Should be my first
Re: Mpg Challenge Nigeria by Kenosky1: 12:40pm On Jul 22, 2023
Kewtt:

This is quite impressive, I am spending twice of the money on my car. So frustrating angry
Re: Mpg Challenge Nigeria by Kewtt: 8:14pm On Jul 22, 2023
yak:

Hoping to get one of those soon.
What's your experience?
Is there anything I need to handle differently?
Should be my first
You need to pay attention to any sign of misfire and address it immediately. It's a rugged vehicle. Mine is a bit raised.
Re: Mpg Challenge Nigeria by Kewtt: 8:15pm On Jul 22, 2023
Kenosky1:

This is quite impressive, I am spending twice of the money on my car. So frustrating angry

It's okay. But it could be better.
Re: Mpg Challenge Nigeria by yak(m): 10:37pm On Jul 22, 2023
Kewtt:

You need to pay attention to any sign of misfire and address it immediately. It's a rugged vehicle. Mine is a bit raised.

Thanks man
Re: Mpg Challenge Nigeria by harshimyomesk: 11:47am On Jul 23, 2023
Kewtt:

Like I said....that gauge just want make you happy cheesy, your result is still great, cos I no near your result at all.
Re: Mpg Challenge Nigeria by Kewtt: 7:16am On Jul 24, 2023
harshimyomesk:

Like I said....that gauge just want make you happy cheesy, your result is still great, cos I no near your result at all.

Lol well I am at over 576km a day's trip to the north and still counting on a full tank. No top ups.

Re: Mpg Challenge Nigeria by Grupo(m): 9:58am On Jul 24, 2023
I may join the challenge this week. Make I finish my car tune up.

Hopefully the tune up improves things for me.

I am not even asking for too much, I just want to do 300 miles with 40 liters.
Re: Mpg Challenge Nigeria by Kewtt: 3:02pm On Jul 24, 2023
Grupo:

What car is that?
Re: Mpg Challenge Nigeria by Grupo(m): 3:41pm On Jul 24, 2023
Kewtt:

What car is that?

2007 Toyota corolla
Re: Mpg Challenge Nigeria by Kewtt: 4:01pm On Jul 24, 2023
Grupo:

2007 Toyota corolla
Miles? That's 482km.... City or highway driving?
Re: Mpg Challenge Nigeria by Kenosky1: 4:02pm On Jul 24, 2023
Grupo:

My brother, you won't get more than 220 miles on 40 liters. I can assure of that result.
Re: Mpg Challenge Nigeria by Grupo(m): 6:46pm On Jul 24, 2023
Kewtt:

Miles? That's 482km.... City or highway driving?

Combined.
Re: Mpg Challenge Nigeria by Grupo(m): 6:46pm On Jul 24, 2023
Kenosky1:

My brother, you won't get more than 220 miles on 40 liters. I can assure of that result.

I'm just being hopeful sha. I'll share my results here when I start.

I'm waiting for my tank to show reserve light. Then I'll fill up and watch.
Re: Mpg Challenge Nigeria by harshimyomesk: 7:12pm On Jul 24, 2023
Kewtt:

Lol well I am at over 576km a day's trip to the north and still counting on a full tank. No top ups.
Nice, show your gauge level with it

1 Like

Re: Mpg Challenge Nigeria by Kewtt: 10:10pm On Jul 24, 2023
Grupo:

Combined.
Ok. My final result 587km on a full tank of fuel in the 2007 Honda Civic.
However the car was having occasional misfires.
Thanks
Re: Mpg Challenge Nigeria by TT20: 10:15pm On Jul 24, 2023
I returned home yesterday, having been away for a while. My city driving mpg before I travelled was 8.6/8.7mpg.
So today , I changed spark plugs, air filter , and mildly serviced the injectors/nozzles (whatever they are called). Mildly because I no wan damage the o ring. I drove the car around this afternoon and got 10.9/11mpg. 2008 bmw x5 3.0L.

3 Likes

Re: Mpg Challenge Nigeria by Pearl1910: 12:12am On Jul 28, 2023
ksmart027:

Nothing special, just general tune up. The car have been this way ever since i bought, I want to upgrade to 2010 model manual transmission but the man no agree my price.

Waoo... that's super economic. Even some hybrids will struggle to get these numbers.
Re: Mpg Challenge Nigeria by yak(m): 8:39am On Jul 28, 2023
ojeysky:
Can't remember if I shared mine. 286 miles from full tank, refill took about 70 litres

What car is this?
Re: Mpg Challenge Nigeria by Kenosky1: 9:01am On Jul 29, 2023
Grupo:

Guy, how far with the update on the mileage for a full tank on your Corolla. I want to use it to compare with mine.
Re: Mpg Challenge Nigeria by Grupo(m): 5:30pm On Jul 29, 2023
Kenosky1:

Guy, how far with the update on the mileage for a full tank on your Corolla. I want to use it to compare with mine.

Just bought 20k fuel today. Price per liter here was 595. So that gave me 33.61 liters.

I had small fuel in my tank prior.

I have reset my trip meter. And will give update once the reserve light shows.

Images attached below. Image 1: just before refueling.

Image 2: after refueling.

Re: Mpg Challenge Nigeria by AIREGIN360(m): 7:40pm On Jul 29, 2023
Pls what can be described as aggressive driving?
Re: Mpg Challenge Nigeria by Itsrm(m): 8:41pm On Jul 29, 2023
Kewtt:

19 mpg combined poor in this economy

What is poor about 19mpg? What is the actual difference in fuel cost between someone who does 19mpg and another doing 25mpg in say a week assuming both of them do an average of 200km a week?

Less than 3k a week and 10k a month. At 100km a week which is typical for most people doing 8-5, you're looking at a little over 1k a week and less than 5k a month. So much ado about nothing.

Only those who use their vehicles for public transport and cover hundreds of miles weekly should bother about these things.

2 Likes

Re: Mpg Challenge Nigeria by buygala(m): 9:25pm On Jul 29, 2023
Itsrm:

What is poor about 19mpg? What is the actual difference in fuel cost between someone who does 19mpg and another doing 25mpg in say a week assuming both of them do an average of 200km a week?

Less than 3k a week and 10k a month. At 100km a week which is typical for most people doing 8-5, you're looking at a little over 1k a week and less than 5k a month. So much ado about nothing.

Only those who use their vehicles for public transport and cover hundreds of miles weekly should bother about these things.

Bros, your maths isn't mathing.. You further confuse the confusion by mixing up miles and kilometres.. They are not the same.. 1 mile= 1.6km.

Using your example, a person driving a 25mpg vehicle will be covering 6.25 miles per litre of fuel.. That means he will spend 4 litres worth of fuel every 25 miles..at 617 naira per litre, that's 2,468 naira.. That's even assuming a gallon is exactly 4 litres which it isn't... I think it's closer to five litres than it is to four.

On the other hand, using the same 4-litre and 617 naira per litre scenario, someone driving a 19mpg vehicle will be covering 4.75 miles per litre... Which means he will need 5.2 litres to cover the same 25 miles... 617 ×5=3085 naira...approximate that to 3200 to account for the price of the extra .2 litres...

3200-2468= 732 naira.. That's the extra expense every 25 miles accruing to the dude driving a 19mpg vehicle..

With your 100km per week scenario, which is 62.5 miles (100÷1.6), person driving a 25mpg vehicle will need 10 litres of fuel to cover 100km/62.5 miles.. 617 ×10= 6,170 naira.

While a person driving a 19mpg vehicle will need 13.15 litres to cover the same 100km/62.5 miles.. 617 ×13=8, 021 naira...Round that up to 8,200 naira to account for the extra .15 litres.

8200-6170 =2030

That's a 2,030 naira difference for every 100km per week according to your scenario ...and 10, 120 for five weeks, assuming the same 100km is covered every week...

All this is even assuming that our Nigerian Petrol Stations haven't tampered with their fuel pump metering.. Which most of them have, even at 617 per litre.. Their own metre reading of 4 litres of fuel dey read 3 litres or even less for jerrycan with marked litre levels.. Then there is also the problem of fuel bought from some stations burning faster than those bought from other stations.... Nigeria na real Jungle.

That extra 10k naira expense is substantial enough to ginger an average person into trying to tune up his vehicle to get more mpg...It will be a real shame if after spending all that money for tune-up, the person ends up in a filling station that sells him 3 litres of fuel as 4 litres.. E go think say e don tune up in vain, when na filling station dey run am street.

3 Likes

Re: Mpg Challenge Nigeria by Itsrm(m): 9:38pm On Jul 29, 2023
buygala:

Bros, your maths isn't mathing.. You further confuse the confusion by mixing up miles and kilometres.. They are not the same.. 1 mile= 1.6km.

Using your example, a person driving a 25mpg vehicle will be covering 6.25 miles per litre of fuel.. That means he will spend 4 litres worth of fuel every 25 miles..at 617 naira per litre, that's 2,468 naira.. That's even assuming a gallon is exactly 4 litres which it isn't... I think it's closer to five litres than it is to four.

On the other hand, using the same 4-litre and 617 naira per litre scenario, someone driving a 19mpg vehicle will be covering 4.75 miles per litre... Which means he will need 5.2 litres to cover the same 25 miles... 617 ×5=3085 naira...approximate that to 3200 to account for the price of the extra .2 litres...

3200-2468= 732 naira.. That's the extra expense every 25 miles accruing to the dude driving a 19mpg vehicle..

With your 100km per week scenario, which is 62.5 miles (100÷1.6), person driving a 25mpg vehicle will need 10 litres of fuel to cover 100km/62.5 miles.. 617 ×10= 6,170 naira.

While a person driving a 19mpg vehicle will need 13.15 litres to cover the same 100km/62.5 miles.. 617 ×13=8, 021 naira...Round that up to 8,200 naira to account for the extra .15 litres.

8200-6170 =2030

That's a 2,030 naira difference for every 100km per week according to your scenario ...and 10, 120 for five weeks, assuming the same 100km is covered every week.

That extra 10k naira expense is substantial enough to ginger an average person into trying to tune up his vehicle to get more mpg.

Miles and km were not mixed but used as appropriate. Not everyone buys fuel at 617/litre. Do your maths again with 568/litre and tell us the result. I said it's above 1k a week "savings" covering 100km which is the same result you would have gotten. What did you say was wrong with my maths again? And where are you getting 5 weeks from? 4 weeks makes one month.

Now that we agree that the extra expense a month is less than 10k between 25 and 19mpg. Lets say you spend 50k trying to tune up your car just to save less than 8000 a month.

It will take you 7 months before you make any real savings assuming all the tokunbo parts you buy don't start acting up before then.

I repeat its much ado about nothing.

3 Likes

Re: Mpg Challenge Nigeria by buygala(m): 9:55pm On Jul 29, 2023
Itsrm:

Miles and km were not mixed but used as appropriate. Not everyone buys fuel at 617/litre. Do your maths again with 568/litre and tell us the result. I said it's above 1k a week "savings" covering 100km which is the same result you would have gotten. What did you say was wrong with my maths again? And where are you getting 5 weeks from? 4 weeks makes one month.

Now that we agree that the extra expense a month is less than 10k between 25 and 19mpg. Lets say you spend 50k trying to tune up your car just to save less than 8000 a month.

It will take you 7 months before you make any real savings assuming all the tokunbo parts you buy don't start acting up before then.

I repeat its much ado about nothing.

Only those who use their vehicles for public transport and cover hundreds of miles weekly should bother about these things

The above bolded comment is your original post where you mentioned mpg and kilometres in your first paragraph... How do you expect someone who doesn't know both measurements to reconcile your mpg yarns with the sudden shift to yarns about 200km and 100km?

4 weeks make one month?.. So 30 days or 31 days which make most months are four weeks? .. Please Remind me how many days are in a week?

NNPC official fuel price has been 617 per litre since 18th of this month.. The fact that you are mentioning 568 per litre makes me question whether you even own a vehicle...in which case trying to educate you is pointless...

And then you condescendingly thinking that tune-up parts will deteriorate within 7 months makes me wonder what kind of Jalopy you have been hopping, that's if you even have a car at all.

And please just sleep if you can't mention where in Nigeria you ar buying fuel at 568 per litre as at today.

2 Likes

Re: Mpg Challenge Nigeria by Itsrm(m): 10:00pm On Jul 29, 2023
buygala:

Only those who use their vehicles for public transport and cover hundreds of miles weekly should bother about these things

This is your original post where you mentioned mpg and kilometres in your first paragraph... How do you expect someone who doesn't know both measurements to reconcile your mpg yarns with the sudden shift to yarns about 200km?

4 weeks make one month?.. So 30 days or 31 days which make most months are four weeks? .. Please Remind me how many days are in a week?

NNPC official fuel price has been 617 per litre since 18th of this month.. The fact that you are mentioning 568 per litre makes me question whether you even own a vehicle...in which case trying to educate you is pointless...

And then you condescendingly thinking that tune-up parts will deteriorate within 7 months makes me wonder what kind of Jalopy you have been hopping, that's if you even have a car at all.

And please just sleep if you can't mention where in Nigeria you ar buying fuel at 568 per litre as at today.

I stopped reading @the bolded.

Whatever makes you sleep well at night bro.

Ventura1:
Most filling stations sell N568 in Lagos, with some like Petrocam selling at N565, it could be cheaper in Mushin due to closeness to Apapa port.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Help! - Car Refuses To Engage Reverse Or Drive Gear - Auto Trans / SOLD... SOLD : 2009 Model E 350 4MATIC Benz AMG Sport Toks / Toks 07 Toyota Rav4 Ltd For Sale 3.4m Asking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.