Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,443 members, 7,861,268 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 08:30 AM

Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away (16540 Views)

Why Can't Nigerian Farmers Have Organized Farms Like These? / Why Don't Nigerian Farmers Use This(pictures) / Nigerian Farmers Refuse To Repay N60 Billion Loan – Bank Of Agriculture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by Gerrard59(m): 6:32pm On Jun 12, 2023
Saladdin:

For the Nwunelis', I feel they need to cozy with the power brokers to get additional support like Mehta's, AND also change the crops they deal in (like you said). Their HBS degrees are just wasting away.

Sir, do you know the most surprising thing? A 'common' NOUN MBA (though with a DBA from Swiss School of Business) holder is doing much better in the same Kaduna. I'm talking about Dr. Ogbemudia of Niyya Foods. He hands decades and decades of experience in the industry and his product is practically everywhere. He's into natural fruit drinks.

Like many others have reiterated on this forum, Dangote though humble, is not the ideal businesman that an average, potential entrepreneur should look up to. His model is not sustainable, as his wealth is also hinged on the support of the Federal government. Food is not really his area too. How can we reconcile the fact that upon all the expatriates and professionals the simple concept of demand and supply still eludes them, leading them to create an unsustainable factory. I feel they just wanted to taste from his wealth without telling him the truth.

Though he positioned the company in a tomato-belt region in Nigeria, but I mean he needed to have understudied the current cultivation of tomato in Nigeria, established a large and comprehensive outgrowers program and finally look for how to ensure supply on-and-off season. Even an average Igba boi will point this out.

That's true. Mehta has a decent farm where she cultivates tomatoes (including greenhouse) but I'm seriously rooting for her to take over the Kaduna and surrounding markets at least.

Erisco is not really feeling the heat due to his large range of products that is why he's not really bothered that his pastes still have low visibility in the market. More like off-and-on.

Shonga Farms went moribund with the exit of Saraki and then Governor Ahmed. from the political space. Most of the white Zimbabweans have left. The company for all intent and purpose belongs to Saraki but was funded with from Kwara State government's coffer.

With no government funds company, propaganda don end, and Saraki don flee. He knew the structure of the company was not sustainable, but free government money no go gree him to restructure it. Today, the company's output is embarrassingly poor and they have not been able to transcend beyond Kwara State. Even at that, lots of competitors are loading the heat on them.

Like you said, for farms and factories producing pastes to be successful in Nigeria, they need heavy input from the government by hook (subventions, grants, tax holidays, PPP—e.g Mira Mehta's Tomato Jos) or crook (looting government funds to start a agroallied company— e.g Nigerian politicans' farm). Lots of our politicans' are surprisingly doing well in the sector e.g Sebore Farms in Adamawa (owned by Muritala Nyako) and Maizube Farms in Minna (owned by Abdulsalam Abubakar)—both are into productions of milk and dairy products, I guess the money factor is what is keeping them afloat. Though for the latter, there's a strong rumour that his farm is a conduit to launder funds.

To be honest, the government still needs to help protect these companies and support newer ones. I just pray Babbangona still continue operations as usual. They are currently one of the highest paying in the industry (along with Saro Agrosciences).

I had to quote all. Thanks for the insight. I appreciate.

I know the bold and drank his drink years back. Another mention is Integrated Dairies. She started operations in 2003 and begin production in the 2010s. Got an investment from Verod Capital. Agribusiness takes time to gestate, which is why lower taxes and security are paramount. As for those erstwhile governors, I am not fazed as we know how things are done in Nigeria. It is like being fascinated with Obasanjo's Farms. I also know Saro Agrosciences, yeah, one of the most structured seed companies around.

This article has been in my bookmarks for almost ten years! http://www.economist.com/news/middle-east-and-africa/21653616-what-milk-trade-reveals-about-country-uncowed

L&Z still produces, and hopefully generates profits?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by Gerrard59(m): 6:34pm On Jun 12, 2023
ednut1:
My friend has a thriving agro business in SW state. Some few places are not facing insecurity and he knows how to lay low. From the pictures he posts big trucks come to transport many of his products majorly cassava or its stems

One has to admit it, the SW is currently Nigeria's most peaceful or less restive region. Second, are few states in the South south.
Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by Nezzjnr: 6:39pm On Jun 12, 2023
JohnBullMySon:
Maybe in the last decade it was difficult. Currently with modern technologies and smart thinking you can set up a decent security architecture. You can set up drones, camera towers, motion detection systems, etc at relatively cheap cost.
Lmao.

You're sounding as if you're not in Nigeria cheesy cheesy.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by OkCornel(m): 7:14pm On Jun 12, 2023
Gerrard59:

I am too small at the moment to partner with FMN. Also, FMN has farms in places I am not interested one bit, even at gunpoint. Also, FMN does not deal in what I am interested in. Someone like Yemisi is who I can understudy, but insecurity is a major hindrance. I am not ready to deal with Fulani herdsmen as I dey like this.

Thanks for the compliment. Please do note that I can comment on threads you might find offensive and immoral. Also, I was trained to state things the way they are. I could call your favourite pastor names sha. That is who I am. I cannot hide it.

Once again, thanks.

Hahaha, not a problem at all.
The truth is bound to step on toes, and there are big toes everywhere 😂
Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by Mantul: 7:35pm On Jun 12, 2023
Gangs or terrorists
Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by CongoJewRat: 7:43pm On Jun 12, 2023
J3susFr3ak:

STOP BLOODY LYING!!

Your very own Terrorist ex-President Buhari alongside his Terrorist Fulani lunatics took it upon themselves to enjoy KILLING and kidnapping innocent farmers with full Nigerian Government support. Stop shifting any blame anywhere--your incompetent security architecture is the very thing to blame.

Globalist have better things to do than waste time with Islamic Terrorists Governments bent on genocide for the demon Allah...

Pig, Buhari was their puppet and has always been and this is why your Jewish masters wanted him in power by all means.
Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by Impersonator2: 9:51pm On Jun 12, 2023
Nigerian fathers are an ass i have one of them, you terrorize a child when he's young and then romance him when he's old and getting money.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by J3susFr3ak: 10:04pm On Jun 12, 2023
CongoJewRat:

Pig, Buhari was their puppet and has always been and this is why your Jewish masters wanted him in power by all means.

Sewer Swine on restless heat! It is better to be a servant under the the Greatest Jew, Jesus Christ--than be an ISIS pawn like Buhari in service to a devil called Allah.
Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by CongoJewRat: 11:38pm On Jun 12, 2023
J3susFr3ak:

Sewer Swine on restless heat! It is better to be a servant under the the Greatest Jew, Jesus Christ--than be an ISIS pawn like Buhari in service to a devil called Allah.

Pig, you serve Judas and not Christ.

Know the difference as you head to hell
Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by J3susFr3ak: 12:24am On Jun 13, 2023
CongoJewRat:

Pig, you serve Judas and not Christ.

Know the difference as you head to hell

Sewer swine...who cannot bring himself to say "Jesus is Lord!" --but will praise a demon called allah the pig while killing farmers!
Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by Saladdin: 10:36pm On Jun 13, 2023
Gerrard59:

I had to quote all. Thanks for the insight. I appreciate.

I know the bold and drank his drink years back. Another mention is Integrated Dairies. She started operations in 2003 and begin production in the 2010s. Got an investment from Vetiva Capital. Agribusiness takes time to gestate, which is why lower taxes and security are paramount. As for those erstwhile governors, I am not fazed as we know how things are done in Nigeria. It is like being fascinated with Obasanjo's Farms. I also know Saro Agrosciences, yeah, one of the most structured seed companies around.

This article has been in my bookmarks for almost ten years! http://www.economist.com/news/middle-east-and-africa/21653616-what-milk-trade-reveals-about-country-uncowed

L&Z still produces, and hopefully generates profits?

You're welcome sir. You're well in the know regarding Nigeria's agroallied space o!

Will check out the article right away.

Yeah, L&Z is still consistent with their production, but profit, not really sure... lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by Gerrard59(m): 3:02am On Jun 14, 2023
Saladdin:

You're welcome sir. You're well in the know regarding Nigeria's agroallied space o!

Will check out the article right away.

Yeah, L&Z is still consistent with their production, but profit, not really sure... lipsrsealed

The investment firm is actually Verod not Vetiva. My bad.

L&Z needs capital investment and superior management strategies to propel. I know Nigeria has a low purchasing power, but tweaks can be made. In case it asks a for a subscription to read it, here is an unwalled version: https://web.archive.org/web/20150615124401/http://www.economist.com/news/middle-east-and-africa/21653616-what-milk-trade-reveals-about-country-uncowed
Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by Pman8: 3:13pm On Jun 18, 2023
Wodu89:

Locals initiated voodoo on a farm land I got last year. Immediately I moved tractor to the site and cleared like 30 acres, I got sacked from a very stable job I had kept for over a year that was funding the enterprise. Imagine losing 1.2M PEr month paying job because of some adventures

Information must be balanced though, I've been to hundreds of farming communities asides from this one I mentioned I never get envoius vibes, rather they support us. Let's not overplay the negative narratives.

I saw the rave, vibe and headlines Rotimi made. A whooping 10,000 - 30,000 acres farming project. The problem isn't insecurity in it's entirety but Nigerians and greed. How can someone have a farmland that can generate billions per annum and can't have stable security strategy, systems and workers and spend maximum of 10 Million per year. The farm owners of large scale farms are simply greedy. I've seen their setup well enough to recognize it. If I own a large scale farm, I must invest heavily in security.

Bro I am happy seeing this comment here,,,I live in europe and I have seek out employment in major farmland owners here..I have worked with several crop producers here and I can tell you that the major place they invest funds is not even on the crop production but in the security of the farmland and private security for their protection.

They invest majorly in securing the farmland with electric fencing, CCTV, Farmland Alarm, they outsource security of farmland to a competent security firm...They have security personnel with all kinds of equipment Gun, tasers, walkie e.t.c patrolling the farmland every second and minute and hour of the day...

In all their farmland they have a security outpost..they make use of a greenhouse too, you need to see their set up!
You come to Nigeria, there are farmers earning like 100million-1billion naira per annum and they cannot invest 1% of their revenue into securing their farmland or even their own personal security..And again the government isnt helping out either...
Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by Gerrard59(m): 5:55am On Jun 21, 2023
Pman8:

Bro I am happy seeing this comment here,,,I live in europe and I have seek out employment in major farmland owners here..I have worked with several crop producers here and I can tell you that the major place they invest funds is not even on the crop production but in the security of the farmland and private security for their protection.

They invest majorly in securing the farmland with electric fencing, CCTV, Farmland Alarm, they outsource security of farmland to a competent security firm...They have security personnel with all kinds of equipment Gun, tasers, walkie e.t.c patrolling the farmland every second and minute and hour of the day...

In all their farmland they have a security outpost..they make use of a greenhouse too, you need to see their set up!
You come to Nigeria, there are farmers earning like 100million-1billion naira per annum and they cannot invest 1% of their revenue into securing their farmland or even their own personal security..And again the government isnt helping out either...

Good to read that security actually gets the bulk of investments in the farms you have visited/toured. But I am still sceptical about the bold, because at that stage it is no more a business aimed at producing crops but securing them. How does a company justify ploughing resources into an item/area she does not intend to monetise? I am really curious on the kind of crops these European farmers cultivate, because I imagine how it will look like securing large swathes of cassava, palm oil or cocoa farmlands.

But let's go with what you said. In Europe, you are most likely dealing with thieves just like everywhere. However, in Nigeria, you are dealing with a state-backed ethnic militia that if you attack them, you are reported to the country's recognised military outfits. How would you feel if you get arrested because you shot at Fulani herdsmen who attacked your farmlands? I mentioned Nwuneli that depends on outgrowers, how then do you protect against such? Which kind money outgrowers get? The issue is not really securing your farm land, but securing it against a state-backed force. Do you want to fight the government? shocked

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Grasses And Shrubs For Feeding Rabbits / N200 Billion Agriculture Loans - Farmers Say Banks Are Not Lending / Having A Drop In Egg Production

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.