Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,373 members, 7,861,024 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 09:21 PM

Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away (16530 Views)

Why Can't Nigerian Farmers Have Organized Farms Like These? / Why Don't Nigerian Farmers Use This(pictures) / Nigerian Farmers Refuse To Repay N60 Billion Loan – Bank Of Agriculture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by Truthshscrazy: 1:49pm On Jun 12, 2023
Nezzjnr:

How many security guards do you want to employ for over 30k Acres.

It's not easy safe guarding hectares of lands in a very thick forest.

cool

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by juman(m): 1:52pm On Jun 12, 2023
All will be well.
Rest assured that they will return to their farms.
Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by LordAdam16: 1:53pm On Jun 12, 2023
Gerrard59:
Another big farm I am interested in is FMN which had abi have a sugar plantation in Niger. I wager they've aligned themselves with the political class. But how is a random investor going to enjoy the same privileges?

There is no developing nation on the planet where an investor (foreign or indigenous) setting up a middle-market (or bigger) enterprise somehow sidesteps the power brokers.

In the developed world, you can't either. Tons of permits, regulations, and red tape to wade through.

The default Ease of Business indicator is good for getting a faint idea of how difficult it'd be to set up shop when you want to open a corner store, a car wash, or a consulting agency. It's a whole nother kettle of fish for huge enterprises.

Security is a monumental challenge currently for agribusinesses, particularly in the North. So if as an investor, that's the area you feel inclined to venture into; you either work out the viability of your project or abort. Sometimes, the conditions simply do not support planned projects. It might be security. It might be lack of skilled labor (you can't open a chip factory in Nigeria). It might be a dozen other things.

If it didn't dey, it didn't dey. No magic can be done.

Presco and Okomu are excelling. But they're in Southern Nigeria.

If you're a random investor, go for lower hanging fruit. Or put in the right modalities. I can't just land in South Korea and seek to set up a plant for automotive parts. I would not grapple with security but a dozen other crucial issues that I'd need natives and well-heeled professionals to navigate. An HBS will open some doors. But it'll still be a steep climb.

That's a developed country. If I try the same in Indonesia. It'll be exponentially harder.

-Lord

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by juman(m): 1:53pm On Jun 12, 2023
Even if government need to borrow money to stop the kidnapping, they should do it.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by JealousCobra(m): 1:57pm On Jun 12, 2023
Nezzjnr:
I just laugh when people say "Enter Agriculture".

If you don't have any background experience in it... Just stay mute.

Let me not even go to security.

Farm workers are the biggest threats... They can make or mar you.... One of my workers sprayed herbicides on my Cucumber project last year... Or is it theft from them?.

One pulled gun on his fellow colleague... I couldn't deal and I sent both of them packing.

Rural dwellers are always envious especially if the owner of the farm is a young person.... You can come one morning and find out that everything has been wiped out.

Last year.... A Friend of mine had his 15 acres of plantain Farm razed down by fire by some rural dwellers.

If you have a fragile heart and fragile mind... Please don't enter Crop production so you won't start having wrinkles on your face.

We pray for a better Nigeria so people can do the business of Agric with ease.

Exactly, what I also experienced in the hands of rural tiv residents in benue state, tiv land to be precise.

Don't don't have regards to strangers that came to farm in their land. 😎
Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by JuanDeDios: 1:58pm On Jun 12, 2023
Nezzjnr:

Farm workers are the biggest threats... They can make or mar you.... One of my workers sprayed herbicides on my Cucumber project last year... Or is it theft from them?.

One pulled gun on his fellow colleague... I couldn't deal and I sent both of them packing.

Rural dwellers are always envious especially if the owner of the farm is a young person.... You can come one morning and find out that everything has been wiped out.

Last year.... A Friend of mine had his 15 acres of plantain Farm razed down by fire by some rural dwellers.

If you have a fragile heart and fragile mind... Please don't enter Crop production so you won't start having wrinkles on your face.

Like the BBC article, this was depressing to read.
Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by kokorokoman: 2:05pm On Jun 12, 2023
i was a victim.
i just look at my condition and dont know if i should swear for naija.
the country, mostly buhari tenure show me shege for life.
buhari, anywhere you are ehhhn................

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by Emeka71(m): 2:12pm On Jun 12, 2023
Nezzjnr:

Such is the problem associated with controlling of people.
Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by wman(m): 2:13pm On Jun 12, 2023
Saladdin:

Dr Gerrard59, most of the principles and knowledge learnt at HBS will fail in Nigeria o. This is because it lacks the necessary 'local content'.

Most of our top guys in corporate Nigeria only go there for bragging rights and the network. Nothing overly special with HBS. In Nigeria, MBA from LBS is practically more useful than the one gotten from HBS.

Nwuneli's is really trying, but her business is yet to get the expected trajectory. This still leads to the first paragraph above.

Mira Mehta's agribusiness enjoys fully support from Kaduna State politically, fiscally and security-wise courtesy of Kaduna State Government. Most businesses in the state do not enjoy this privilege.

Her factory is located in the Northern Part of Kaduna which is relatively safe, plus it is well-guarded by the police and the military. Plus she got the large portion of land at near zero cost.

She's used by El-Eufai as the 'postal child' of Modern entrepreneurship in Kaduna (El-Rufai actually made significant strides here). This is because he wanted to attract more investors to the state and brag about an Oyinbo doing business in his state. Even at that, she's barely staying afloat, as foreign pastes (e.g Gino) are still beating her to it in Kaduna and the entire North. You can hardly find her paste around.

If not for all these supports, hand for don touch her tey tey.

Wow. This is really insightful. Thank you for this post. I use to look up to Mira on Twitter as someone defying the odds with Tomato farming and tomato paste where the likes of Dangote have tried and failed.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by CongoJewRat: 2:17pm On Jun 12, 2023
Sablexxxtoons:
Imagine.. so the terrorists are attacking our food security

It's now you know that Fulani bandits and BH are actually agents of destabilisation propped by the Globalists in the WEF.

This is where Emefile was funding these terrorists so as to accelerate the great Reset agenda in Nigeria.

Chase farmers from their land , bankrupt big corporate farms like the one quoted in the article thereby leasing to acute food shortages and famine.

Take out Russian grain exports that account for 20% of global supplies via sanctions.

What is left is to force nations to hand their arable lands to GMO farms owned by BlackRock.

This is already happening in Kenya under the Globalist hand picked Marxist party.

Peter Obi was meant to continue from where Buhari stopped.
Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by Litmus: 2:17pm On Jun 12, 2023
Hope the new president sees beyond the ethnic and socioeconomic smokescreens used as reasons for all this to misguide Nigerians and understand that Nigeria was and still is under externally orchestrated systematic strategic attack.

Godwin Emefiele's attempt at making Nigeria a cashless society shouldn't be abandoned. Authorities in Nigeria need to regulate the hell out of the people inhabiting Nigeria in order to stand a chance of saving the country.
Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by CongoJewRat: 2:20pm On Jun 12, 2023
WEF Sponsored Fulani Terrorists Through Emefile

The satanic WEF and their Jewish dark lords are hell bent on ushering a global food crisis towards accelerating their Great Reset towards a Globalist Corporatist Zionist Order.

Famine has been an effective tool since Joseph rolled out his artificial scarcity and from there the Cainanites took over Egypt.

It was replayed in the conquest of Ireland and used by the Satanic Bolsheviks to pacify and cull Russian opposition to the Jewish takeover of that once great empire.

Globalist Jews want you dead and those of you who survive to be their slaves.

The four horsemen are being used to great effect : war, pestilence, famine and disease.

In Nigeria, there is no way you can make sense of the barbarity and impunity of the Fulani vandals wrecking havoc in the NW and parts of central Nigeria until you begin to see that these terrorists are agents of Globo Homo that are meant to dislodge farmers in rural areas from their lands towards ushering an artificial famine.

The DSS has fingered Emefile as a major financier of terrorist groups in Nigeria and I strongly agree with their assertion on the basis that Emefile is a WEF puppet .

The DSS has linked Emefile with a major Fulani bandit sympathiser who has now been established to be one of their major financiers working under the guise as an independent negotiator between the bandits and the FG.

Do you know it's only Nigeria that has rolled out a digital currency complete with a social credit score ?

Do you know that Emefile's last disastrous cashless policy was to force you all to key into this cornerstone agenda laid bare by the WEF?

Emefile is a traitor more than anyone of you can ever imagine.

The DSS and security agents handling his investigation must ensure Emefile is prosecuted without delay for this man was set to commit the greatest treason against a nation.

https://www.nairaland.com/7723912/wef-sponsored-fulani-terrorists-through

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by XAUBulls: 2:21pm On Jun 12, 2023
Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by PARADIZEPRIEST: 2:24pm On Jun 12, 2023
Stop using social media from exposing you via unnecessary hypes and show offs. angry
Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by XAUBulls: 2:25pm On Jun 12, 2023
Gerrard59:
It is the reason when someone says he or she does agribusiness on a huge scale, I am always interested in how they cope with the rising insecurity. I recall sending Ndidi Okonkwo Nwuneli an email to her personal email address, which she replied, but I did not follow up. But I admired the work they did. Even Rotimi Williams made the news then as the second largest rice grower after Olam. How do ordinary agribusiness entrepreneurs cope if these folks with their HBS qualifications and network cannot secure their farmers? Also, a few are wailing on TwitterNG. Although Tomato Jos by Mehta and Yemisi Iranloye of Psaltry International are doing pretty well, I am curious how other big agribusiness entrepreneurs are coping? Especially if out-growers who they depend on are being killed.

But bants aside, if HBS folks cannot use their influence to stem the insecurity tide, e get as e be o. I thought HBS know the movers and shakers in the countries they work in. After all, Mehta na HBS alumna too
Only some parts of Nigeria are safe for big-ticket agribusiness.

A military tougher stance must be taken against the bandits with the use of aerial drones and satellite technologies to alert locally based security agents to deal with the mainly foreign bandits from Mali, Niger, Chad, Cameroon.
Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by Pakman: 2:33pm On Jun 12, 2023
Until Nigeria has a president in the mould of Muammar Gadaffi, Nigeria will remain asleep.
Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by XAUBulls: 2:36pm On Jun 12, 2023
Saladdin:

Dr Gerrard59, most of the principles and knowledge learnt at HBS will fail in Nigeria o. This is because it lacks the necessary 'local content'.

Most of our top guys in corporate Nigeria only go there for bragging rights and the network. Nothing overly special with HBS. In Nigeria, MBA from LBS is practically more useful than the one gotten from HBS.

Nwuneli's is really trying, but her business is yet to get the expected trajectory. This still leads to the first paragraph above.

Mira Mehta's agribusiness enjoys fully support from Kaduna State politically, fiscally and security-wise courtesy of Kaduna State Government. Most businesses in the state do not enjoy this privilege.

Her factory is located in the Northern Part of Kaduna which is relatively safe, plus it is well-guarded by the police and the military. Plus she got the large portion of land at near zero cost.

She's used by El-Eufai as the 'postal child' of Modern entrepreneurship in Kaduna (El-Rufai actually made significant strides here). This is because he wanted to attract more investors to the state and brag about an Oyinbo doing business in his state. Even at that, she's barely staying afloat, as foreign pastes (e.g Gino) are still beating her to it in Kaduna and the entire North. You can hardly find her paste around.

If not for all these supports, hand for don touch her tey tey.
Nicely put.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by FXSavvy: 2:41pm On Jun 12, 2023
Nezzjnr:

Nigerians can be VERY envious and bitter people 😬
Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by SaLongs1(m): 2:58pm On Jun 12, 2023
All this evil was started by marauding herdsmen who were aided and abetted by such evil statements as the ones attributed to the former president and former governor of Kaduna state. I hope they are very contented with the fruits of their labour.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by Mayeldah(m): 3:11pm On Jun 12, 2023
Put it in the right perspective, Fulani bandits are the problem of agriculture in Nigeria

Unfortunately, for years now, Northern politicians including Buhari provided cover and financing for these bandits just to pursue fulanization.

Break up this country and let's go our separate ways, North and South aren't the same!
Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by UNDFTD: 3:42pm On Jun 12, 2023
Who are the kidnap Gangs? Why are we trying to be politically correct instead of calling a spade, "A Spade." If this story is about a farmer in the east that was terrorized and STOPPED from going to his farm, the M0R0NS (you know yourselves) on this platform would unquestionably link it to IPOB. It's the terrorist Fulani herdsmen that are kidnapping and killing farmers. The Fulanis have terrorized and cowed Nigerians to the extent that Nigerians have become cowards and too afraid to speak the truth. They have turned to living a life of lies and deceit all in a bid to remain in One Nigeria. What a shame and a disgrace!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by OkCornel(m): 3:52pm On Jun 12, 2023
Gerrard59:

Sounds good on paper, but how do you intend to secure lots of hectares? I have watched how farms in Brazil, Indonesia, Thailand, and nearby Ghana, but none had a fence. Ploughing money into fencing and recruiting security agencies makes the business unproductive as you are spending on items that are not worthy assets. The money used in fencing can acquire or pay for the lease of more acres of land or sophisticated equipment. How then do you plan to compete with farmers in Thailand, South Africa and neighbouring countries that don't experience the same?

Anytime I read a farmer mentioning fencing, I don't consider such a person to be business oriented. Because fencing is unrealistic. It is better the person kuku turn the entire swathe of land into a housing estate and sell each plot to interested buyers. That is a better business proposition.

I can't blame Rotimi for wanting to leave. It is inevitable. In agribusiness, the big farms depend on smaller farms for a consistent supply of raw materials, as no one can do it alone. It is a symbiotic relationship. But when the smaller farmers are brutally butchered, heavily fined and sometimes double taxed (they have to pay LGA fees, too), setting up an agribusiness enterprise in Nigeria makes no sense. Rather do so in Ghana, Ivory Coast or Benin. At least, over there, the elites take security pretty seriously, especially if it affects exports. Another big farm I am interested in is FMN which had abi have a sugar plantation in Niger. I wager they've aligned themselves with the political class. But how is a random investor going to enjoy the same privileges?
Why not arrange for a franchise with the FMN brand?

Would save a lot of stress setting up a lot of things from the scratch… if the franchise option is available.

By the way, you’re one of the outstanding bright minds on this forum. Following you…
Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by antibullshit: 5:05pm On Jun 12, 2023
Gerrard59:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-65728764
We have Buhari ,El Rufai and the rest of their fulani buddies to thank for this!
Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by JohnBullMySon: 5:09pm On Jun 12, 2023
Nezzjnr:

How many security guards do you want to employ for over 30k Acres.

It's not easy safe guarding hectares of lands in a very thick forest.

Maybe in the last decade it was difficult. Currently with modern technologies and smart thinking you can set up a decent security architecture. You can set up drones, camera towers, motion detection systems, etc at relatively cheap cost.
Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by God2man2again(m): 5:48pm On Jun 12, 2023
I believe subsistence and commercial farming are still thriving in some areas that kidnapping is not rampant.

Whenever there is a will, there must be a way out.
Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by J3susFr3ak: 6:03pm On Jun 12, 2023
CongoJewRat:

It's now you know that Fulani bandits and BH are actually agents of destabilisation propped by the Globalists in the WEF.

This is where Emefile was funding these terrorists so as to accelerate the great Reset agenda in Nigeria.

Chase farmers from their land , bankrupt big corporate farms like the one quoted in the article thereby leasing to acute food shortages and famine.

Take out Russian grain exports that account for 20% of global supplies via sanctions.

What is left is to force nations to hand their arable lands to GMO farms owned by BlackRock.

This is already happening in Kenya under the Globalist hand picked Marxist party.

Peter Obi was meant to continue from where Buhari stopped.

STOP BLOODY LYING!!

Your very own Terrorist ex-President Buhari alongside his Terrorist Fulani lunatics took it upon themselves to enjoy KILLING and kidnapping innocent farmers with full Nigerian Government support. Stop shifting any blame anywhere--your incompetent security architecture is the very thing to blame.

Globalist have better things to do than waste time with Islamic Terrorists Governments bent on genocide for the demon Allah...
Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by Gerrard59(m): 6:09pm On Jun 12, 2023
OkCornel:

Why not arrange for a franchise with the FMN brand?

Would save a lot of stress setting up a lot of things from the scratch… if the franchise option is available.

By the way, you’re one of the outstanding bright minds on this forum. Following you…

I am too small at the moment to partner with FMN. Also, FMN has farms in places I am not interested one bit, even at gunpoint. Also, FMN does not deal in what I am interested in. Someone like Yemisi is who I can understudy, but insecurity is a major hindrance. I am not ready to deal with Fulani herdsmen as I dey like this.

Thanks for the compliment. Please do note that I can comment on threads you might find offensive and immoral. Also, I was trained to state things the way they are. I could call your favourite pastor names sha. That is who I am. I cannot hide it.

Once again, thanks.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by godwinstringed1(m): 6:11pm On Jun 12, 2023
emmaodet:

It is a long story bro but will explain in details tomorrow

We're patiently waiting for your distinguished mentorship advice sir

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by Gerrard59(m): 6:15pm On Jun 12, 2023
wman:

Wow. This is really insightful. Thank you for this post. I use to look up to Mira on Twitter as someone defying the odds with Tomato farming and tomato paste where the likes of Dangote have tried and failed.

LOL!

Unless you have a degree from a similar university, don't look at someone like Mira as a source of inspiration. Even Affiong Williams should not be looked too. Her husband is a billionaire, and she worked in reputable places before venturing into agribusiness. Well, it is the reason I keep hampering that the leave university to start a business does not really work. The same applies globally. The most successful entrepreneurs worked somewhere, honing their skills and deepening their network before starting businesses.

Even Ms Yemisi worked elsewhere. The dude behind IFitness worked as a banker. Rotimi sef was a banker. But anyone with a degree from HBS is an outlier. I rather look elsewhere.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away by Gerrard59(m): 6:23pm On Jun 12, 2023
LordAdam16:

There is no developing nation on the planet where an investor (foreign or indigenous) setting up a middle-market (or bigger) enterprise somehow sidesteps the power brokers.

In the developed world, you can't either. Tons of permits, regulations, and red tape to wade through

This is what I have been thinking about. One has to go where he or she sabi well well, either on the basis of race, ethnicity, language or something else. Tensa20 said I should target South America, but most of the favourable countries have long histories of big agribusiness entrepreneurs who are locals or American giants who have hooge funds and support from the American government. It is easier to negotiate with a LGA chairman whose language I speak than with some folks in Ecuador. The advantage South America has is trade deals with China, where 99% of tariffs are removed on certain goods. Huge advantage considering the Chinese are wealthy and plentiful.

The reason Rotimi is heading to Senegal, not Brazil, as black man meets black man. Before dem send drug cartels towards me.

If it didn't dey, it didn't dey. No magic can be done.

Presco and Okomu are excelling. But they're in Southern Nigeria.

I am happy for them. Wilmar working with PZ Cussons is in Cross River is doing the same. They spent a lot (>10BN) on a refinery in Lagos and spent hugely on the farm in Northern Cross River.

If you're a random investor, go for lower hanging fruit. Or put in the right modalities. I can't just land in South Korea and seek to set up a plant for automotive parts. I would not grapple with security but a dozen other crucial issues that I'd need natives and well-heeled professionals to navigate. An HBS will open some doors. But it'll still be a steep climb.

That's a developed country. If I try the same in Indonesia. It'll be exponentially harder.

Thanks for the insight.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Flemish Giant Rabbits Now Available (pics) / Grasses And Shrubs For Feeding Rabbits / N200 Billion Agriculture Loans - Farmers Say Banks Are Not Lending

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.