Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,046 members, 7,838,642 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:03 AM

Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers (16046 Views)

Petrol May Cost N340/litre After Subsidy Removal In 2022 — Kyari / FG To Pay Nigerians Transport Allowance After Fuel Subsidy Removal- Zainab Ahmed / Senate Mulls Naira Devaluation, Subsidy Removal Over COVID-19 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by nairalanda1(m): 4:00pm On Jun 11, 2023
MichaelSokoto:

and d masses will keep subsidizing d lifestyle of d politicians!

our govt is not suffering wit d masses is d actual bone of contention.

Even then, it is a fact that if we kept subsidy, even the big fat cat politicians would have nowhere to steal from.Eventually

Nigerians should stop thinking everything has to be dirt cheap.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Westman001: 4:02pm On Jun 11, 2023
WAHALA

WAHALA

Everybody better start working from home.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by emperor4love(m): 4:02pm On Jun 11, 2023
Let the poor breath, if u like be poor no do anything to survive
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by thegooddieyoung: 4:06pm On Jun 11, 2023
Bros spare me the lengthy explanation, PBAT's announcement was very ill- timed.

Infact, the line "Subsidy is gone" was not in his original speech manuscript at all.

We are yet to witness the really effects of this sudden removal without a well-thought-out cushioning plan.

JagabanBorgu:

U Will set up systems in ur one day in office?
I am sure u will prèteñd he didn't say that.
I watched an interview in one town hall meeting where Obi said, "I already know your problems and I am coming to solve it".
In another town hall meeting he said "I won't be a president who stays in Abuja, I will go around and know your problems".
Someone who said in a previous interview that he already knows our problems is saying in the next interview that he will know our problems.
The àssIicking u guys were giving him didn't make u realize the incoherence in his speeches abi?
I didn't vote Tinubu to fare better in a matter of 2 or 5 months, I read his manifesto, I followed his campaign, I voted him because he has the vision and capacity to make necessary changes, necessary changes always cause inconvenience, that's the knowledge most of u Iàck, u all believed a messiah is coming where every policy will give u joy, u need to wake up.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by tdoggzy01: 4:10pm On Jun 11, 2023
We all focus on transportation fare as the only factor that determines the price of food items , have we also consider increment in fertilizer price , chemicals/herbicides, manpower charges ,etc all these prices will also increase due to increment on PMS price ......don't forget that fertilizer and chemical/herbicides manufacturers will also increase their workers salary ,so it all goes to the price of their products .
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Ashawoman82: 4:11pm On Jun 11, 2023
CodeTemplar:
Under fair consideration, food prices shouldn't see more than 20% increase because the heavy lifting is done by diesel powered trucks. We all know diesel price didn't go up. Petrol use is mostly for short distances.
seriously, most of the hardship we face sometimes are self inflicted, not everything is government .... We blacks are just wicked and greedy....

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by JagabanBorgu: 4:12pm On Jun 11, 2023
thegooddieyoung:
Bros spare me the lengthy explanation, PBAT's announcement was very ill- timed.

Infact, the line "Subsidy is gone" was not in his original speech manuscript at all.

We are yet to witness the really effects of this sudden removal without a well-thought-out cushioning plan.

If it has been possible for u Obi followers to dèñy that Obi wouldn't have removed subsidy, u would have done that.
No "cushioning plan" will work in this Nigèria.
U know that, we all know that, but since agreeing with the decision is tough for most of u, u all resórt to cushioning plans.
Obi wouldn't have been able to provide any cushioning plan just like he didn't provide in Anambra when he hiked tuition fees of ANSU.
And Obi said clearly that "subsidy is an eviI I won't allow to spend another day when I assume office"
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Zxcvbnmghtr: 4:13pm On Jun 11, 2023
Complain complain complain complain. Chai complain. Na wa for una. All I know is, Peter Obi will never smell Aso Rock and Prosperity will be our portion.

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Greattha: 4:16pm On Jun 11, 2023
Aptly put.

Very Intelligent submission from someone who obviously understands economics and how economies work.

For the second to last paragraph, I think it's not only the Hausa Fulani but the entire political class.

My opinion tho.

Wodu89:
Unplanned Feul subsidy removal is like a worker quiting his job before.planning for how to keep up with family needs. E go suffer.

We keep telling them the practicality of the
unplanned removal of the Feul subsidy is devastating

Subsidy is the only way the nation gives back to the citizens without saying take free money and the only provision for the removal of the subsidy is still the subsidy itself. Many Nigerians won't rise above the hardship it would create for up to 5-10 years

The bigger enemy isn't subsidy , but lack of management and control of subsidy payments because of infalted invoices. This means the invoicing system, recording and 0ayment structure is the problem in itself not the subsidy. The baby should not be thrown away with the bath water. Rather the bath water o ky needs to be made clean

The citizenry looses alot with the removal of subsidy payments because in this clime, salaries do not increase readily, meaning purchasing power becomes more and more difficult with this economic overhaul.

Maintaining the subsidy is to the benefit of the average citizen. It's managing the invoicing system that's the problem. We can have metered and regulated suslbsidy payment in place with FG placing caps on subsidy payment and then hedging the excesses against Government backed bonds, so short term economic traction is cushioned by long-term macrofinances of the court ey.

If invoicing and lack of accountability is the issue with feul subsidy, then why don't we grant licensing that pays subsidy payments based on metered importation allowance?

When would Nigeria let thinking people lead ? When !

The same 2012 problem is repeating itself. Sensationalism. Assuming that the subsidy only implies people stealing,.forgetting or not even considering it's benefits.

The average minimum wage of a worker can't mean anything in a post subsidized feul economy.

Increase in food prices, Housing, transportation, lifestyle all at once without corresponding rise in salary payments is nothing short of a disaster. Be it Peter Obi, Tinubu, Atiku subsidy removal must be planned and strategized before actualized

In the end, the bigger enemy is the Hausa Fulani hegemony who setup cabals in all state instructions to run them down so private ones are setup to mop up the national treasury. Nigerian refineries and Dangote is typical

If Hausa and Fulani allowed our refineries worked like NLNG, we wouldn't be talking subsidy removal or Dangote

The focus must be maintained. For Nigeria to work, Hausa Fulani hegemony has to die
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Wodu89: 4:17pm On Jun 11, 2023
Greattha:
Aptly put.

Very Intelligent submission from someone who obviously understands economics and how economies work.

The pain I suffered and which many Nigerians are put under is that the is no professional economic report and blueprint for the unfolding path. Just semantics and emotions
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by bingbagbo(m): 4:19pm On Jun 11, 2023
Living in the last days for real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSKNlP2EuBw
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Tsolutionifede(m): 4:22pm On Jun 11, 2023
Angelfrost:

He should go and die for speaking the truth?!!

shut up, u stupid OBIDIENT, that will never appreciate anything good from the man regime

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Greattha: 4:23pm On Jun 11, 2023
Unfortunately, the pain affects everyone even though the starving minions refuse to confess grin

Wodu89:

The pain I suffered and which many Nigerians are put under is that the is no professional economic report and blueprint for the unfolding path. Just semantics and emotions
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jun 11, 2023
Wodu89:
Unplanned Feul subsidy removal is like a worker quiting his job before.planning for how to keep up with family needs. E go suffer.

We keep telling them the practicality of the
unplanned removal of the Feul subsidy is devastating

Subsidy is the only way the nation gives back to the citizens without saying take free money and the only provision for the removal of the subsidy is still the subsidy itself. Many Nigerians won't rise above the hardship it would create for up to 5-10 years

The bigger enemy isn't subsidy , but lack of management and control of subsidy payments because of infalted invoices. This means the invoicing system, recording and 0ayment structure is the problem in itself not the subsidy. The baby should not be thrown away with the bath water. Rather the bath water o ky needs to be made clean

The citizenry looses alot with the removal of subsidy payments because in this clime, salaries do not increase readily, meaning purchasing power becomes more and more difficult with this economic overhaul.

Maintaining the subsidy is to the benefit of the average citizen. It's managing the invoicing system that's the problem. We can have metered and regulated suslbsidy payment in place with FG placing caps on subsidy payment and then hedging the excesses against Government backed bonds, so short term economic traction is cushioned by long-term macrofinances of the court ey.

If invoicing and lack of accountability is the issue with feul subsidy, then why don't we grant licensing that pays subsidy payments based on metered importation allowance?

When would Nigeria let thinking people lead ? When !

The same 2012 problem is repeating itself. Sensationalism. Assuming that the subsidy only implies people stealing,.forgetting or not even considering it's benefits.

The average minimum wage of a worker can't mean anything in a post subsidized feul economy.

Increase in food prices, Housing, transportation, lifestyle all at once without corresponding rise in salary payments is nothing short of a disaster. Be it Peter Obi, Tinubu, Atiku subsidy removal must be planned and strategized before actualized

In the end, the bigger enemy is the Hausa Fulani hegemony who setup cabals in all state instructions to run them down so private ones are setup to mop up the national treasury. Nigerian refineries and Dangote is typical

If Hausa and Fulani allowed our refineries worked like NLNG, we wouldn't be talking subsidy removal or Dangote

The focus must be maintained. For Nigeria to work, Hausa Fulani hegemony has to die

The British And Royal Niger Company will never allow this to Happen.

Only the East and West combined can Champion this Course.

The British and The Northerners are the Sole Proprietors holding the Nation to Ransome. The West has no choice than to be doing Follow Follow.

Only the East and Niger Deltans really want out. If the West should solely join the Course. That's the End of Nigeria.

But for now, People are still enjoying the United Sufferings.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by prospaj: 4:32pm On Jun 11, 2023
The inflation na still childs play, check it in the next 30 days

2 Likes

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by EnterpriseMan: 4:34pm On Jun 11, 2023
lexy2014:

Who hiked the price?
The marketers
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Wodu89: 4:38pm On Jun 11, 2023
Evolutionlove:

The British And Royal Niger Company will never allow this to Happen.

Only the East and West combined can Champion this Course.

Sure noT aware that under the constitution binding Nigeria, there's a clause that after 100 years dissatisfied parties can part ways and that different parties have begin the process of initiating this with noterary letters sent to the UN already. You don't know yet right ?
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Nobody: 4:40pm On Jun 11, 2023
Wodu89:

Sure noT aware that under the constitution binding Nigeria, there's a clause that after 100 years dissatisfied parties can part ways and that different parties have begin the process of initiating this with noterary letters sent to the UN already. You don't know yet right ?

Well I'm not really into Politics.

But believe me, I don't think the Process will fly anytime soon.

The UN will definitely turn a blind eye to such letters.

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Saladdin: 4:45pm On Jun 11, 2023
mrvitalis:
Subsidy has near zero effects on farming

This is mostly true for staple foods. Vegetable farmers mostly depend on petrol-powered vehicles to transport their products.

This however does not discountenance the fact that in Nigeria, everyone is looking for an excuse to rip others off.

Cost of fertilizer has stagnated, insecurity is falling to pre-2015 levels in the North. But we are not seeing a drop in prices of staple food, only a rise.

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by MichaelSokoto(m): 4:47pm On Jun 11, 2023
nairalanda1:

Even then, it is a fact that if we kept subsidy, even the big fat cat politicians would have nowhere to steal from.Eventually

Nigerians should stop thinking everything has to be dirt cheap.
hw complicated can it be in blocking leakages as per stopping d out-smuggling of subsidized petrol by dis APC govt?

u kill d masses because u want to stop d crooks u knw of?
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jun 11, 2023
Raph82:
At the same time, what brought down the price of gas from 800 to around 350? I still can't understand

Where did you see Gas selling for N350??
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jun 11, 2023
Saladdin:

This is mostly true for staple foods. Vegetable farmers mostly depend on petrol-powered vehicles to transport their products.

This however does not discountenance the fact that in Nigeria, everyone is looking for an excuse to rip others off.

Cost of fertilizer has stagnated, insecurity is falling to pre-2015 levels in the North. But we are not seeing a drop in prices of staple food, only a rise.

There is high probability many people most especially the POOR will never get to experience SANITY & SERENITY in their lifetime until they have the Opportunity to move out of Nigeria.

A lot of Nigerians have developed Extreme Mental Problems. But unfortunately they aren't aware of the development.

Nigerians usually think people at Aro, Yaba Left are the ones with Mental Problems but they don't know Nigeria Homes, Streets, Offices, Mosque, Churches, Everywhere is filled with Mentally Deranged Humans these days.

Nigeria is a Solitary Confinement.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Menclothing: 4:51pm On Jun 11, 2023
Diseal is used by this trucks and price has reduced

So why increase in price
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by lexy2014: 4:52pm On Jun 11, 2023
EnterpriseMan:

The marketers

How did they do that?
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Okoroawusa: 4:53pm On Jun 11, 2023
Highlife217:
God’s punishment for what happened to Obi.
Sebi na only you and Obi get God abi? No wonder pastors dey use una cashout
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by nairalanda1(m): 4:54pm On Jun 11, 2023
MichaelSokoto:

hw complicated can it be in blocking leakages as per stopping d out-smuggling of subsidized petrol by dis APC govt?

u kill d masses because u want to stop d crooks u knw of?

Problem with Nigerian subsidy? The amount paid yearly keeps rising because the difference between production cost and subsidised pump price keeps widening. At some point the amount you spend on subsidy increases to the point that it dwarfs revenue from crude.

When you get there, you end up borrowing to pay for subsidy

You can and yes we.should plug the leakages, but we cannot do nothing about production and even transport costs.

And as for stopping smuggling of fuel..Libya subsidies fuel. It also has a massive smuggling problem with fuel to the point that the government is using air strikes on smuggling dens. Ditto Iran and Venezuela.
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Wodu89: 4:56pm On Jun 11, 2023
nairalanda1:

Problem with Nigerian subsidy? The amount paid yearly keeps rising because the difference between production cost and subsidised pump price keeps widening. At some point the amount you spend on subsidy increases to the point that it dwarfs revenue from crude.

When you get there, you end up borrowing to pay for subsidy

You can and yes we.should plug the leakages, but we cannot do nothing about production and even transport costs.

And as for stopping smuggling of fuel..Libya subsidies fuel. It also has a massive smuggling problem with fuel to the point that the government is using air strikes on smuggling dens. Ditto Iran and Venezuela.

Trust me. I have the intellect and know-hows to fix this whole subsidy bruhaha without removing the subsidy. Our nation doesn't engage it's brightest and best

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Angelfrost(m): 4:59pm On Jun 11, 2023
Tsolutionifede:
shut up, u stupid OBIDIENT, that will never appreciate anything good from the man regime

You have no proof or evidence to back that up... So, only Obidients criticize this administration?!!

Does that mean everyone who criticized Jonathan was a "Stupid" APC supporter?!!

Make use of your little intellect when engaging in discussions about politics, governance or leadership!
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by nairalanda1(m): 5:01pm On Jun 11, 2023
Wodu89:

Trust me. I have the intellect and know-hows to fix this whole subsidy bruhaha without removing the subsidy. Our nation doesn't engage it's brightest and best

Well you should have run for office then.

On a more serious note, the issue with subsidy is unless one is paying for the thing with taxes ( and the taxes have to grow with the subsidy which means we would be paying heavyweight taxes to keep fuel at 40 naira) it would end up dwarfing your revenue

Like Iran right now. Their subsidies are now twice their oil revenue. And yes, the government is contemplating removing subsidies

Again you cannot completely stop smuggling unless you seal of the country.

Finally subsidies prevent profits being made. Especially when the losses that subsidy is supposed to.cover for grow too.fast because of rising producing costs
Re: Subsidy Removal: Food Will Be Very Expensive, Say Farmers by Wodu89: 5:05pm On Jun 11, 2023
nairalanda1:

Well you should have run for office then.

On a more serious note, the issue with subsidy is unless one is paying for the thing with taxes ( and the taxes have to grow with the subsidy which means we would be paying heavyweight taxes to keep fuel at 40 naira) it would end up dwarfing your revenue

Like Iran right now. Their subsidies are now twice their oil revenue. And yes, the government is contemplating removing subsidies

Again you cannot completely stop smuggling unless you seal of the country.

Finally subsidies prevent profits being made. Especially when the losses that subsidy is supposed to.cover for grow too.fast because of rising producing costs

Pharaoh went to the prison to get the person who had the knowledge to solve a looming crises not just for his entire nation, but for the entire region in ancient world. Knowledge many times is in the heart of the vessels that carry them

I can solve Nigeria's subsidy problem withina year without breaking a sweat. I won't publicize my insights. The day will come when there will be a big problem that would lead to a search for me. I wait for my time

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Re: Abia Airport Controversy - Otti, Hold Yourself To Higher Standard - Okiyi / Jonathan To Lead Yobo, Others On Physical exercise / Confusion In Bayelsa APC As INEC Submission Deadline Closes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.